spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-04 09:52:37: Last week Verizon confirmed our early exclusive report on FiOS tier changes, noting they were significantly increasing several tier speeds (25/25 becomes 50/25, 35/35 becomes 75/35) while introducing a new 300 Mbps down, 65 Mbps up uber tier. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

I got a deal!

I got a hell of a deal then!!

If the 150 Mbps is $95, me paying for a triple play package with the 150 Mbps for only $129.99 is a steal IMO.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 recommendations

i pay almost that for basic digital cable and 20/2.....

OOOOhhhhhhhh the money Verizon could have made in the long run if they continued to spend right now on building out more FIOS. Not covering all of America, but at least ALL the major pop centers. A deal like that would have everyone signing up

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to HardwareGeek

said by HardwareGeek:

I got a hell of a deal then!!

If the 150 Mbps is $95, me paying for a triple play package with the 150 Mbps for only $129.99 is a steal IMO.

Its just rate hikes disgused as increased speeds. It probably doesnt cost Verizon much to bump someones speeds from 150mbps to 300, since there is the capacity in the fiber already, and their plan should have the backbone for it. Now, lets just wait for the cable industries answer to this rate hike. I see cable based speeds of 150mbps down and 15 up fairly soon over cable HFCs.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

Here in NY

This officially makes fios 15/5 speeds with no package $20 more a month then cablevisions internet.

Fios has to be carefull especially in the NYC area with cablevision. If Fios gets too much more then cablevision people will switch back.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: I got a deal!

How soon? Keep in mind that speeds like that would require a couple high quality upstream channels and six or more down streams, otherwise peak times would see lower speeds.

But hey, if they can pull it off, I'm all for it.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I know which tier I'd get

The pricing on all tiers up to 150M is pretty close, between one tier and the next one up. The speed of 150M, particularly on the upload side, is just excellent for the price (since this is the US we're in). As such, if I were in a FiOS area, I wouldn't think twice about shelling out for that level of connectivity. 300M is just a bragging-rights tier at this point, but 150M seems like the sweet spot to me, despite it's rather high absolute price.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to majortom1029

Re: Here in NY

Happy with my 50/8 but 75/35 (more upload) wouldn't be too bad also. As a stand alone though it's $20 more than than CV (granted more speed too!) so i prolly could swing that. The 50/25 though is $10 more just for the extra upload.

Guess we'll see what CV does when it comes to those kinda bragging rights*, IMO that's all they are for

* Most people should be happy with 75Mbps and lower, only super heavy users would need 150/300Mbps plans.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

$65 for 15/5? $55 for 3Mb? Ouch, way overpriced IMO

Seems overpriced to me compared to their larger MSO competitors. Cox in my neck of the woods does 25/2 for that $65. I would have figured that the 15/2 would be the go to standard $50 deal. And $55 for 3Mb? So much for competition bringing down rates. Verizon execs weren't too happy with FiOS adoption rates before and they shouldn't expect it to be any better now.

Price is king and they can raise speeds all they want but it is triple play promos that will get them subscribers. VZ does triple play for $95 for 2 years with the 15/5 plan. Given these prices that is basic cable + HD + unlimited calling for an additional $30 and you get a $250 Visa gift card.

These non-promo prices from Verizon are absurdly high.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to majortom1029

said by majortom1029:

This officially makes fios 15/5 speeds with no package $20 more a month then cablevisions internet.

Fios has to be carefull especially in the NYC area with cablevision. If Fios gets too much more then cablevision people will switch back.

And the 15/5 speed is what most Verizon customers use. Only people like those who come to dslreports pay for higher speeds.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

If I wanted 300 I would get two 150s

If I get the 300/65 it costs me $205 per month. If I get two 150/65 and bond them together, I get 300/130 for $190 per month. So, I have to do some configuring and I may loose a little speed but I save $15 a month. I guess if I really wanted that, I would actually keep it simple and get the 300/65. But that ricing does seem a little strange. I will stick with my 35/35 package until the next renewal.

I have had Cable in the past and it is not even close to FiOS in terms of stability and consistency of speed. I run several monitors and can count on one hand the number of times I have gone below the promised level the past few years. While on cable I saw more such drop outs in a day. Of course, the end user may or may not notice this. I just like to know that it is stable.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to moldypickle

Except the ludites who don't like change of course. I know many folks in Fios territory who are afraid to change because comcasts commercials about the lack of on demand, yet they don't use on demand. Go figure!
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
united state
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

And the 15/5 speed is what most Verizon customers use.

That's what I pay for. I'm getting ready to move. Looks like I'm getting out just in time. If I was staying in VZ territory, I'd probably switch back to Cox's HSI and save $30/mth.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
united state
reply to skeechan

Re: $65 for 15/5? $55 for 3Mb? Ouch, way overpriced IMO

said by skeechan:

Price is king and they can raise speeds all they want but it is triple play promos that will get them subscribers.

Bingo. And that's what VZ wants. It wants to lock in long-term subs with at least TV service. Triple play is the cherry on the sundae.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to iansltx

Re: I know which tier I'd get

Which is another way of saying that Verizon will no longer be offering what can be seen as an entry-level tier, which is another way of saying that Verizon is no longer interested in customers who simply want basic Internet access--which I'd say is more than half of their customer base. The real "sweet spot" is somewhere around $50 or so. Verizon's [everyone must pay this] sweet spot now is $70 or so.

I wonder if their higher prices will make up for the lost customers...

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

300Mb and not place to use it outside of bittorrent. It's similar to EPB's Gig to the home. They know that no one can really utilize it on a sustained basis so it's easy to add the 300Mb tier just so they can say their dick is bigger than Comcast's.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

How soon? Keep in mind that speeds like that would require a couple high quality upstream channels and six or more down streams, otherwise peak times would see lower speeds.

But hey, if they can pull it off, I'm all for it.

well, to keep up with FiOS offerings in those markets, it would have to be really soon. a 4 bonded channel cable modem will probably see realistic speeds of 150mbps download, and a single upload channel can get you up to 42mbps(33 realistically because of shared channel limitations and no channel bonding), so, it would not be surprising to see these from cable companies soon. I have heard hints from the local charter office employees about charter increasing upload speeds(albeit, on a single channel), and that would be awesome.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to OwlSaver

Re: If I wanted 300 I would get two 150s

What does it cost you to bond?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to OwlSaver

Plus server costs, plus colocation costs (as I can't imagine you'll freely have access to a 1gbps port to support your new, bonded 300mbps service).

Yeah, you sure can save $15 if you were already deployed on the infrastructure able to support it.

Or.... you could just pay the extra $15 and save the trouble

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

If I get the 300/65 it costs me $205 per month. If I get two 150/65 and bond them together, I get 300/130 for $190 per month. So, I have to do some configuring and I may loose a little speed but I save $15 a month.

Didnt notice this before actually. I wonder if you could get 2 lines? It seems odd that its more than double the price, for just more download and not more upload, when you can pay less for two of the 150 lines and get double the upload too. Seems silly now, and a massive rip off, unless they are instituting caps and overages for all their tiers except the 300mbps tier.

ksh

join:2010-06-10
Chattanooga, TN

Chattanooga Fiber

I'm still glad I live in Chattanooga:

Chattanooga's EPB Cost are:
30mbps/30mbps $58
50mbps/50mbps $69
100mbps/100 mbps $139
1gbps/1gbps $349

»epbfi.com/order-now/
www.Chattanoogagig.com

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to openbox9

Re: $65 for 15/5? $55 for 3Mb? Ouch, way overpriced IMO

As long as there is no competition, VZ will charge what they want.

Am looking forward to Google fiber in my area. Expected to be under $100/month for 1G and 100/100Mbps could be as low as $50/month.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to GlennAllen

The lower end customers can go to some mobile beoadband company, or maybe cable. Verizon probably provides back haul for whichever mobile provider those customers are on, anyway.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to ksh

Re: Chattanooga Fiber

Looking forward to see what Google charges in KC, supposedly coming in July.

Expected to be under $100/month for 1G and about $50 for 100/100.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to FFH

At these FIOS prices many people will look to move back to Cablevision in my area. I love speed but frankly 15/5 gets me what I need with HD streaming video etc. 99% of users do not need a higher speed. This and people coming off TriplePlay deals look to have Verizon smack them around. Ergo good for V shareholders, bad for V customers.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Chubbysumo

You can't realistically expect 150 Mbps deliver speeds over four channels, because you still have other people on the node. You would need more channels...which is fine, because eight channel bonded modems are out now.

As for the upstream path, usable capacity on a fully upgraded, wide, 64qAM channel, is 30 Mbps. Which means that real world, delivered in ammulti user environment, speeds would be 20 Mbps at most.

That said, many areas are limited to 16QAM upstream channels, which only have 10 Mbps of capacity. Hence cableco offerings that top out at 5 Mbps up.

Chubbysumo

Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to DaSneaky1D

said by DaSneaky1D:

Plus server costs, plus colocation costs (as I can't imagine you'll freely have access to a 1gbps port to support your new, bonded 300mbps service).

Yeah, you sure can save $15 if you were already deployed on the infrastructure able to support it.

Or.... you could just pay the extra $15 and save the trouble

Its not hard to turn an older PC into a router with load balancing. As long as it has a dual core CPU, 2 GB of RAM, and 3 gig ports(2 for in, and 1 for out to a normal router maybe, or use the PC as the router). I made a load balancing PC for a client for about $50, and it also then doubles as a NAS and network management computer. Hell, even a single core P4 or P3 machine would probably work just fine. You would only need 2 fibers in to keep them separate.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to moldypickle

said by moldypickle:

i pay almost that for basic digital cable and 20/2.....

OOOOhhhhhhhh the money Verizon could have made in the long run if they continued to spend right now on building out more FIOS. Not covering all of America, but at least ALL the major pop centers ...

Only those POP centers in VZ territory. They would never bring FiOS to 'snfc%n%.pacbell.net', 'sntc%n%.pacbell.net', or 'pltn%n%.pacbell.net'. Or to any other non-VZ POP center.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to BosstonesOwn

Hmm,

I just looked at last months bill. In there it specifically states that my 25/25 is $45.99 and I am on month-to-month (locked in rate until end of this year)--now this is the triple play.

If you look at the unbundled prices that is now $79 which is a whopping 75pct raise. Even when I originally enquired on enet only it was $54 lat year, so this is a $20/month uplift.

Originally they offered me month-to-month with no difference in price, then they tacked $5 on, then $10 (it became $64), else a 2 year contract.

I have learned that service contracts are a bad idea, so I don't do them. People evaluate them but the aggravation and minor perceived savings is not worth it unless you have SLA's and penalties. Most consumer contracts are violently slanted toward the supplier, not the consumer so this makes them even less valuable.

Just last week I got a flyer from TWC $30 for 15/2 for 1 year, and no cable modem fee if you have one (I still have mine ).

15/2 will stream multiple hi-def and in my area TWC was great and they actually got 15/2.

The point is that Verizon is quickly pricing itself out of the market and with substandard FIOS penetration rates it is like they are asking for FIOS to fail so they can offload it

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to iansltx

Just because I don't care about going super-fast doesn't mean I don't use my connection a lot--100GB or more per month; so mobile broadband isn't feasible. Cable, on the other hand, is. So, you think Verizon wants to push its customers (more than half of them?) to cable? (good business plan [not])

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
reply to Chubbysumo

For load-balancing, sure. Bonding, however, is much more complicated and expensive.

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next