dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-04 09:52:37: Last week Verizon confirmed our early exclusive report on FiOS tier changes, noting they were significantly increasing several tier speeds (25/25 becomes 50/25, 35/35 becomes 75/35) while introducing a new 300 Mbps down, 65 Mbps up uber tier. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

marshall0003
@sbcglobal.net

marshall0003

Anon

Useless managers

What an azz. This is what is wrong with companies today and why there are no standards left.

"Last month Verizon CFO Fran Shammo warned that the hikes were coming, claiming that recent high customer satisfaction scores justify a higher price point, even though paltry competition is a more likely motivation"
jims2321
join:2000-04-05
Suwanee, GA

jims2321 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: I got a deal!

If you deduct the money they got from the universal service fee, their was was close to zero or they may have made money on FIOS. No teleco loses money these days, they are federally subsidized by the taxpayers via the USF.
jims2321

jims2321 to DaSneaky1D

to DaSneaky1D

Re: If I wanted 300 I would get two 150s

Not really, just need nics that support aggregate bonding (lots do already) and run linux with it (most white box pc routers software is linux based). So with the real cost is the modems for bridging to the pc router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to jims2321

MVM

to jims2321

Re: I got a deal!

said by jims2321:

If you deduct the money they got from the universal service fee, their was was close to zero or they may have made money on FIOS. No teleco loses money these days, they are federally subsidized by the taxpayers via the USF.

USF isn't a tax. No tax money is transferred from the government to the telcos.

The USF is not mandated by a government entity with tax power, nor is it managed by a government agency.

fiosgeek
@charter.com

fiosgeek to HardwareGeek

Anon

to HardwareGeek
fios doesnt offer contracts with the above 35 meg speed...

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
What about most web sites being hosted in data centers with gigabits of bandwidth? They should be able to put out enough data to fill even a 300 megabit connection. The biggest bottleneck is consumer's wi-fi routers. Sure, they advertise 150 mbps speeds, but you have to be right on top of the router to get that speed. In the next room, you only get 20 mbps. 3 rooms away, you get 2 mbps.
NickD

NickD to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: No caps

A large family with everyone watching Netflix for several hours a day
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4