spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-08 12:14:28: With Verizon now offering their LTE service to smartphones, tablets, and even now a fixed residential product known as Home Fusion -- Verizon's making a pointed effort to try and ramp up in-car LTE connectivity. ..

cast sucks

@dsl.net

and if you drive near the board or past them then data bill

and if you drive near the board or past them then the data bill at 4g speeds can very fast end being more then the cost of the car.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

I think this is a good idea.

As long as the subscription fees are reasonable. I would think at most a couple hundred per year would be acceptable to most consumers. But even that is high considering there wouldn't likely be very high data usage. But if the automakers make it so the vehicle will act as a hot spot for any device in it then consumption could be high and you'd likely have to pay handsomely for it.

Of course, the LTE network would have to be drastically expanded for any of this to be feasible anyway. Verizon's LTE network is rather large, but there are still gigantic holes that need filled.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
A couple hundred grey n' white? with the price they're raping you on the price of the car it should be included. same with new cars and sat radio[if you put a receiver in it at factory it should just work without you getting nicked each month for service!!1]

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

1 recommendation

OnStar isn't included. Neither is XM. It's optional with 1 year free. Why should they give it away?

jaywv30

@frontiernet.net

Passenger entertainment

If the data limits are reasonable I could def see mounted screens for at least back seat passengers to watch Netflix like services.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to thegeek

Re: I think this is a good idea.

I always thought adding a mobile connection to cars would be great for remote starting, u can be way further away to start your car.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
If you can't see your car, you shouldn't be remote starting it! You never know what is going on around it. Plus, these network-style remote starting and other features are just a great way for thieves to hack into your car and steal it, or what you have in it. Passwords are being broken and sites hacked more and more these days.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
smh. You do realize this would work based on a cell network before it hits the car right? Good luck hacking that.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

I always thought...

I always thought that people should just drive their damn car instead of being distracted so they can endanger the lives of other people on the road.

And it's pretty sad when everyone jumps on board with how great this is and all the things that could be done.

My though, let it happen, make the system non-functioning if only one person is within the vehicle while it is moving.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I see the benefit for passengers, but as a majority, individuals have proven themselves to be too weak to control their urges. Texting and driving is bad enough. Also bad enough we have so many terrible drivers on the road to begin with.

I still order my cars w/o navigation and all the add-ons. When I drive, I'm driving, nothing else. Occasionally I may take an urgent call, but even then I tell myself it's a bad idea.

More reason to have dash cams in cars given all the distracted drivers on the road. This only reinforces the need for them (and 3G/4G/etc won't be useful for streaming video given the usage limits).

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

We don't need this.

Instead of stuffing cars with all this not needed fluff how about a basic car to drive back and forth to work the primary function of most cars. The owner can add what they need or have it on their phone which can be updated every few years as hardware evolves.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

KA-Ching

Looks good on paper. In reality I will just use my smartphone/tablet/hotspot/netbook, cd, mp3, dvd player. or the radio.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

Adds new meaning to...

Information Superhighway.

(I hope they add Google Drive [the auto-car-driving one, not the cloud-storage one] so that the new "salon on wheels" doesn't come crashing down on me.)

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

I always thought adding a mobile connection to cars would be great for remote starting, u can be way further away to start your car.

Already done, I can start my car with the OnStar app.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to BlueC

Re: I always thought...

BlueC, if you think drivers are distracted by cell phones and texting in Minneapolis, you should see them here in New York, Long Island. Even mothers with 3 kids in the car have a cell phone stuck in their ear.

Like you, I know where I live and 99% of the places I visit so I have no use for navigation systems.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to GlennAllen

Re: Adds new meaning to...

I wouldn't want that shit in my car. Too damn distracting. I don't answer the phone, either. My family has a ring code to call me.

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to bgraham

I've traveled around 6000 miles of road trips in the past year crisscrossing the United States... You guys might be homebodies but not everyone walks in your shoes. Granted, there have been instances I've wanted to toss my GPS out the window, have cussed at the thing, been pissed it's gotten me lost and taken too long to recalculate to find the next street. Thus, I am proverbially lost. However, since I have 0 sense of navigational skills, I'll take those times the GPS fails over not having a navigational system.

This isn't the dark ages where we pull out a map and start figuring out where to go. Yes, I didn't always have GPS but I'm now glad I do!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to ITALIAN926

Remote starting? Not on my car.

I get in the car COLD, even when it's -30 celsius. Start it up, let it run for about a minute, and drive.

It only needs 30-60 seconds to get the oil flowing and to build up a little heat in the cylinders. After that just drive gently until the engine comes up to full operating temperature.

Remote-starting a car and letting it run until the inside is nice and cozy warm is just a useless waste of gas. Sadly it is something which a LOT of people are doing. On those cold winter days you can see dozens of cars idling everywhere, in every parking lot and on every residential street. It's ridiculous.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to jc100

said by jc100:

This isn't the dark ages where we pull out a map and start figuring out where to go. Yes, I didn't always have GPS but I'm now glad I do!

I guess I'm old-fashioned but even though I've got a GPS (Garmin Nuvi) I always plan out my route on a map prior to leaving.

In fact I try to avoid using the GPS as much as possible. I find the best way to learn a new area is to use maps, even if you have to get lost a couple of times. If I follow a GPS I find I never learn the streets, I don't pay any attention to landmarks or street names or anything, I just follow what the GPS tells me to do. This is why I avoid it as much as possible.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

If you can't see your car, you shouldn't be remote starting it! You never know what is going on around it.

What? People do this all the time.
What do you think would happen by remote starting your car???
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to TheMG

Thing is, that the use of GPS and other assistive devices when done right can be a great boon. Let me use myself as an example:

I have a Ford Fusion w/SYNC, using SYNC I can answer calls, listen to internet radio in the car over USB (which nets me the song info on the display) and use a map app on my iPhone over the cars speakers.

Now I'm sure at this point you're going "you don't need that stuff"

But what if I told you that I have a physical disability that means I can't use my right hand for something as simple as using wiper controls if they are on the right hand side of the steering column?

See how the picture changes?

All I'm suggesting is that before saying that all of these advances are of no use, that you stop and think of other properly implemented uses because with assists from this technology, I can in fact concentrate on driving

NefCanuck

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

This will sell.

I think this will sell, just like a Sirius/XM Radio subscription. (And you can hook customers in by offering it for free 3 months with the purchase of a new car).

Think of the possibilities:

- Live traffic updates that your satnav can use to get you to your destination a different route. (Think accidents, unscheduled road construction, special events/sportsgames that cause traffic near arena's etc.
- Live updates to your destination library, such as "give me the route to the Aerosmith concert tonight", after which it will quickly find out where Aerosmith plays tonight, and map you right to it. SatNav systems are already getting voice control, why not make it more interactive.
- Make it even more interesting, Siri Style: At 2:00 AM - "Give me a route to the nearest coffee place that is still open". - Satnav will use GPS, perhaps a Yelp like service to determine opening hours, and route you there.
- "Give me the latest information on flight AA654" - you are picking up someone and you want to know if it is on time.

I see great potential for voice operated services. No one should text and drive or operate too many buttons and drive, but voice activated services, built into your car, somewhat like the iPhone siri.... could have really great benefits if done right.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

Remote starting? Not on my car.

I get in the car COLD, even when it's -30 celsius. Start it up, let it run for about a minute, and drive.

It only needs 30-60 seconds to get the oil flowing and to build up a little heat in the cylinders. After that just drive gently until the engine comes up to full operating temperature.

Remote-starting a car and letting it run until the inside is nice and cozy warm is just a useless waste of gas. Sadly it is something which a LOT of people are doing. On those cold winter days you can see dozens of cars idling everywhere, in every parking lot and on every residential street. It's ridiculous.

Nobody buys a remote start to warm up the engine. When it's cold out I want that fucker toasty warm when I get in. Wasteful? Yes. But I can afford to waste the gas.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Modular.

It must be a module that can be added/removed/upgraded as cars last far longer then telcom technology fads. I mean, we don't really even have 4G yet. But when we do get 4G it will be called 6G by the marketing idiots.