spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-09 09:48:34: The weekend has finally dropped, so empty your brain into the comment section below. What are you up to this weekend?. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

I won The Game

I won
Nothing going on this weekend but the Rose Festival Parade (flee Portland and head for the hills).

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Very few users care about privacy - Facebook example

Looks like very few people care about privacy, despite all the blogger press claiming otherwise. Facebook held a vote on privacy policy and virtually no one came. I voted no, but I was 1 of a very, very few who did bother to vote.

»news.yahoo.com/facebook-election···657.html

The online poll to determine which Facebook policies will be put into place on the social network closed this morning after one week of voting -- and a serious lack of user interest.

Out of 900 million users, a mere 342,632 voted on which privacy policy would govern the site. Just shy of 300,000 users voted against the policy change, while around 45,000 voted for it.

That's roughly 1 in every 2,600 users -- or 0.00038% of Facebook.

Facebook's call to action last Friday asked users to read and vote on which Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and Data Use Policy they preferred to use.

Facebook said that if the poll didn't receive at least 30% of users' votes, the company would make the decision of which privacy policy to use on its own. That means 230 million people would have had to vote during the eight-day window the poll was open.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

Portland, OR
Go figure people willfully sign up and voluntary give up their privacy to Facebook. I bet the ones who care, like me, would never sign up in the first place. I never would sign up for any social networking site.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

Microwave!

I FINALLY have a microwave again. Last August hurricane Irene saw fit to blow out all the appliances in my house with a lightning strike. Got most of the other items back up & running (the insurance company was NOT kind) but I put off replacing the over the range microwave due to a job loss. Found a nice scratch & dent stainless unit today for $124! Even half employed I had to jump on the prospect of defrosting meat, making oatmeal, and HOT WATER again. Installed it myself in about an hour...

Not bad for a buck & a quarter!

Grr, can't post the pic from my phone. Will post the edit when I get home later...

Edit to add the pic...

--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Scatcatpdx

Re: Very few users care about privacy - Facebook example

said by Scatcatpdx:

I bet the ones who care, like me, would never sign up in the first place. I never would sign up for any social networking site.

What, no large extended, geographically dispersed family and friends?

I make sure my privacy options are well set up and I can keep up on the doings of my younger relatives scattered around country and who don't communicate by voice anymore. It is a decent tool to do that.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

no access to http://buyasession.att.com/

has anyone tried?

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

Greek Festival in Danbury, CT

One of our favorite times of the year. Come one, Come all!
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Maybe if they'd bothered to notify people. I don't use Facebook very heavily but I have been on in the last week and I didn't see any notice or email about said vote or poll.

I'm sure that's just the way they wanted it.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to N3OGH

Re: Microwave!

Tell us about the Insurance company claim, how it went, and who they are.

RudeX

join:2002-10-25
Hollywood, FL

DVD Collection

I started ripping my DVDs so I can stream them throughout the house. I've been putting this off for years now.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
Philly burbs
reply to KrK

Insurance company was/is Liberty Mutual. I was very unhappy with the way the claim was handled.

To be fair, it was not the insurance company's fault I went five days with no power (and no water, I have a well) but they didn't do me any favors.

For the past 12 years I had my home owner's insurance with LM. "Deluxe" policy with replacement insurance (none of that depreciation business). They seriously short changed me on the replacement of the appliances and the electrical repair work in my house. The electric pole in front of my house was struck by lightning during the storm. Anything that was on when I was hit was fried. Anything behind a UPS survived, so the network gear & my Mac Mini (which is getting long in the tooth, I almost wish it got fried..) made it through. The printer was on a simple surge suppressor. FRIED. Along with the FIOS cable boxes. Fortunately, Verizon took them back and did not hit me for the cost of them being fried.

When they finally brought the power back on, half the shit in my house still wasn't working. I went down the basement and found more than half the breakers in my service were tripped. Never seen anything like it. When I reset the breakers, the one for my dishwasher continued to trip when I tried to power it up. I finally let it be and when I came upstairs, there was a cloud of acrid black smoke coming from the front panel.

After going 15 days without a refrigerator I finally decided to go out and replace my appliances on my own using my credit card. What the insurance company paid was no where near what my loss was even with the deductible and I'm still not happy about it. Had I the resources and time I would have taken on a public adjuster, but after everything that happened I just wanted to cook a meal in my own kitchen again and watch some TV.

When Irene hit I was still a first responder in my home town. I spend the bulk of the storm tending after others. Hey, no complaints that was my job. I chose it. Then I had to come home after a 24 hour shift & use a borrowed generator to suck the standing water out of my basement with no way to take a shower or cook a meal for 5 more days.

Fuck you, Irene.

Oh, and WAAAAA me. Yeah, I know I'm bitching. Sometimes we need to bitch, but then again I HAVE A MICROWAVE!!!!
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

In Memorium

Please remember Police Officer Kevin Ambrose of the Springfield (MA) police department who was unfortunately killed in the line of duty on June 4th, 2012 while responding to a domestic disturbance.

He was laid to rest today and I watched the funeral procession. It was a very sad day in the city of Springfield.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
Philly burbs
reply to ctgreybeard

Re: Greek Festival in Danbury, CT

Greek Festival time in Wilmington, DE as well.

Is this centered around a certain time of year or holiday????
--

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
Philly burbs

2 recommendations

reply to FFH5

Didn't even know this was happening.

FB did not do a good job of making it public. Why do I think that was probably intentional????
--

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to N3OGH

Thank you; I'll remember to avoid Liberty Mutual. What's the post of paying for replacement cost if they refuse to actually pay to replace anything. You could consider a complaint to your state's Insurance Commission.

I know someone here who had a fight with Farmer's Insurance and after he got the Insurance commission involved they finally paid his claim.

I had a similar Lightning strike experience years ago when I was renting an apartment, and I had replacement cost rental insurance. Being a young single male at the time, almost my entire net worth was tied up in high end electronics. I liked my equipment and opted to have it repaired. The Insurance company paid for all of it and gave me no issues. The problem wasn't the insurance company, the problem was I learned the hard way that a lot of stuff takes damage in such a situation and then never works the same again or as in my case suffers repeated failures and continuous repairs over and over for the remainder of it's lifetime until you get sick of it and discard them.

I NOW know from experience that if electronics are damaged by lightning, it's not worth it to get them repaired and then the insurance company pays for the repair---- as future problems will all be on your own dime.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to N3OGH
Last year I bought my grandma a Kenmore microwave for $139 with my own money after hers burned out. She wanted to buy a $59 special at big lots (which quite frankly was a piece of junk in my opinion) so I told her I could get her a better one for $59 at Sears so I bought the better one for $139 and I lied to her that it was only $59 and she reimbursed me the $59 when I really paid $139 so I picked up the difference in cost. I wanted her to have a better unit but grandma insists on living cheaply as she was born during the great depression (1932).

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
That is a kind thing to do.

I have been guilty of fudging numbers like this before as well.

Spend a couple of hundred, you know they don't have it so you "make a slight error where the truth is concerned" about what it cost and upgrade them. Good move sir, good move.
--

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to N3OGH

Exactly.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to RudeX

Re: DVD Collection

Mind if I ask, what is your streaming setup?

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to KrK

I did the same favor my friend when we went to watch baseball. I upgraded the tickets for slightly more to get better seats, but expected from him only to pay the portion he expected.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to IowaCowboy
When I was in Puerto Rico, I got my uncle a microwave (tabletop) because he didn't have the money to get one for my aunt (his wife). I told him I got the extra warranty for when it get blown out when there's a power outage/spike. I gave him the receipt for proof of purchase, which I bought from Sears.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
reply to N3OGH
Nice microwave.One issue it is way to close to the stove top. Its supposed to be 30 inches from the stove top that looks like its less than 12 inches from the stove.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
The top of the stove, the stove top is lower out of sight.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

Portland, OR
reply to FFH5

I am bit of loner and anti social. The few who know me to call me on my phone or send me a e-mail.
Another thing is I ma looking for permanent work and I do not want to give my age away, that is one reason I closed my LinkedIn account.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

In Obvious News Today. . .

Users who have no regard for their own privacy flock to Facebook and are eager to participate in polls.

Texas isn't big enough to contain the DUH! that accompanies that revelation.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

powerage66
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Seminole, FL

Lights on when it is raining

Here in Florida, it is a law, and 6 out of 10 drivers ignore it.* It is tough enough to see another car at 5pm when it is pouring with its lights on, and nearly impossible with its lights off. Don't get me started on the lack of turn signals, and driving 15mph over the 30mph speed limit in the rain, and in a construction zone where the road is a mess.

*The law actually is wipers on=lights on.

cline3621
Mr. Yuk is MEAN Mr. Yuk is GREEN
Premium
join:2006-06-14
Clarksville, TN

May need someone's help and expertise.

Hey everyone, I'm rebuilding my system over again. I could really use someone's advice and expertise.
Right now I have an Asus Extreme Rampage Motherboard, with 2 Intel X25-M 80GB (160GB total) SSD'S in a Raid-0, and 2 VelociRaptor 300GB (600GB total) in a Raid-0.

The SSD'S contain the operating system and related files, and the Raptors are basically an interim storage area before I move those files to my server.

The built in raid controller in the motherboard is starting to go crazy and sometimes will not recognize the raid sets, and just hangs at the post screen that says Intel ICH9R raid controller.

When I rebuild, should I try and maintain the Raid-0, or should I use AHCI? Or should I attempt to use the SSD'S in a singular fashion if that is faster? Also, I've researched all the necessary settings for what should be turned on and off (Defrag, as an example) for a Windows 7 box with SSD'S. However on many of these pages, hundreds of people argue with each other on what should be off and on, so I don't know who to believe. Could anyone provide me with a good link on what services and settings should be turned on and off for a Windows 7 box with SSD'S?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to powerage66

Re: Lights on when it is raining

Isn't that really a law that's in most states? Esp. on heavy rain?

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to Scatcatpdx

Re: I won The Game

said by Scatcatpdx:

I won
Nothing going on this weekend but the Rose Festival Parade (flee Portland and head for the hills).

How nice...

I won three dollars in the California Lottery... Yay!
--
I'm a son of a gun...

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
Philly burbs
reply to KrK

KrK you are correct on the clearances. The instillation instructions state minimum 30" width and minimum 30" from the cook surface to the bottom of the cabinet the unit is hung from. The bottom of my cabinet is 35" above the cook surface.

The cook surface of the stove is 3 feet from the floor, if the bottom of the microwave had to 30" above the cook surface, that would put the control panel for the unit about 6 feet off the floor.

I'm 6'3" and that would be a little bit high even for me....
--
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next