dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-12 10:05:27: Verizon today finally unveiled the company's first even shared data or family plan, which allows users in one household to pull from a pool of minutes -- much like users have been able to do with voice minutes for years. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

beans
@verizon.net

beans

Anon

At@t

And you think At@t is going to be any better?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Re: I think I'll save money...

Sorry, RIP its $15/GB overage. That's going to cause the family murder rate to skyrocket

gballer
@reyrey.net

gballer

Anon

yes

"When developing these plans, we first asked customers what they wanted in a wireless service plan,"

I can vouchee for this..

When Verizon came around and asked me what I wanted in a wireless plan I was like DUDES!! I am totoally not paying enough for wireless service..If there is anything you can do to make me pay more??

Well they listened to me! So see for all of you who say the carriers don't listen to the consumers I have just proven otherwise!!
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: So I guess tablets are a bust

said by elefante72:

No word on tethering, but I assume they will still maintain some annoyance charge for the heck of it.

While I do find this whole thing to be a giant scam, I did read on another site that the whole tethering restriction crap will disappear with this. Not that it will really matter with the joke of a cap they are pushing with this.

EDIT: Here is the info on the hotspot (tethering) »www.droid-life.com/2012/ ··· g-plans/
o2cool8
join:2002-04-19
Cary, NC

o2cool8

Current plans going away?

Will their current family plans be going away?

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

1 recommendation

Jon Geb

10gb not enough

There needs to be a 15 and 20gb option.

recoil
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

Way overpriced

I was thinking about switching to VZW because they added LTE in the area... I think I will wait though. AT&T isn't far behind, and I have decent legacy pricing. This would cost me significantly more than my current plans, and once LTE gets saturated it will only be marginally faster than HSPA+ anyway.

mike1965
Geek4rent
join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

mike1965

Full price phone might be better deal for some

Paying full price and keeping unlimited data might be a better deal for some people

current unlimited data over 2 year contract
30.00x 24 - 720.00 per year

New 1 gb data plan over 2 year Contract
50x 24 = 1200.00

you save 480.00 per year with unlimited plan

new iphone is 199.99 at discount price

just buy a new iphone at full price and you still have unlimited data
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to flashcore

to flashcore

tru dat. Thx. In any case I'm happy w/ my prepaid and corporate paid postpaid My wifes VM $27 (w/ tax) and Pageplus burner for Canadian visitors $3/month, total $30.

I guess the actuaries figured out if you let your friends on, the gas gauge goes up faster than an annoyance charge.

Now I'm just waiting to see how they will toy w/ my FIOS prices when my price guarantee goes away in Jan...
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to spewak

to spewak

Re: Another way

LOL, why yes I believe he did.
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

slimtim to o2cool8

to o2cool8

Re: Current plans going away?

said by o2cool8:

Will their current family plans be going away?

It sure looks like it...(from USATODAY article..)

"For those who use little to no data, Verizon Wireless is also introducing two packages that focus on voice calls รข€” a $40 package (700 minutes, pay-as-you-go text and no data) and a $80 package (300 megabytes of data and unlimited voice and text)."
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to elefante72

to elefante72

Yea I am also waiting to see how they will bend us over on the FiOS pricing, Lucky tho I think I have another year on mine.

I also think part of this whole scam is for the future, sure they will give you unlimited talk now, but when they move to VoLTE in 2014 and start making the phone calls eat into your DATA bucket they will make a ton of $$$ on the overages.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac

Premium Member

Wait.....

I have 4 phones 1 Tb and 3 Iphones. I have Unlimted data as does my son. My wife and daughter have the 200 meg. After a call to CS I was told I WILL not lose my plan. Am I still grandfathered?
THx
Lee
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

Re: Holy Shit

Depends on one's perspective, and (in part) their location.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Still Getting By w/o Data

My wife and I are somehow still miraculously getting by w/o data. Amazing, isn't it? And as long as it would cost us on upwards of $150/mo. for data on two "smart" phones, we'll continue to get along w/o data. We have tablets. We use whatever WiFi hotspots we can grab, when we can grab them. When we can't, we do without. Somehow we survive it.

Other than business users that are road warriors or IT staff, I really do not understand how people can justify the monthly pop for these plans. I never have understood it. I never will understand it.

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb

My setup

I currently pay $199 for line charges for 2 phones.

One has 10GB

One has 4GB.

I would pay $180 for sharing 10gbs, my wife does use like 1gb a month, so I might come out ahead, but not by much.
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

daake07

I might save money

Currently it is only my wife (2GBx2 promo) and I (unlimited) on our plan. My bill is $170 every month including my discount and taxes. I can get 6GB of data per month and still actually be at the same rate as long as my discount doesn't change.

I'd be surprised if my wife used over 500MB-1GB per month and I've only broken 2GB once (I even stream a lot of music). What this plan does offer is the free mobile hotspot which to me is a plus, since I'm often on call and have to be able to work at any given time. We both upgraded our phones less than 6 months ago so we are locked into our current plan, but I'm not totally against these changes.

It is a terrible deal though if you have individuals who do not need data. Single individuals and people with no need of data get completely shafted.

Now where is my LTE Verizon?
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

So.....

data is getting more expensive as time goes on?

How is it that 4GB use to be $30, but now it is $70?
How is it that another 1GB is $15?

So Verizon was taking such a beating on delivering 4GB of data to user's that now they must increase the cost 133% to recover?

Stock jockey's rejoice!!!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

God damn! This is highway robbery at gunpoint!

Just I just took a look at the new data plan prices that Verizon is putting forth.

Get this... $40 per smartphone, $30 per dumb phone. For my family there are two smartphones and two dumb phones. That would be $140 total just for the phones! We're not even talking about data pricing yet! The screwing doesn't stop there!

So here is the pricing. $50 for 1 GB. $60 for 2 GBs. $70 for 4 GBs. $80 for 6 GBs. $90 for 8 GBs. $100 for 10 GBs. Yep... ultimate screwage!

So let's take the $140 total from above and add a useful amount of data. So that means another $80 on top of the $140. That's $220! And we're not even talking about insurance on the phones and that's about $12 per phone per month! And all of the fees, unfees, taxes, and under the line costs!

We're talking almost $260 here! That's a f**king car payment right there! F**K YOU VERIZON! F**K YOU WITH A RUSTY PITCHFORK!
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

No thanks

We were with Sprint and had a BBB complaint filed against them. They weren't able to resolve the complaint so they let us out of our contracts. Anyway we were thinking of going back to Verizon. Fortunately we came to our senses and went prepaid (Cricket) which have just as good voice and data coverage in our area and places where we usually travel to. The great thing about is that I was able to port my HTC EVO 3D to Cricket for $45. They did the flash right there in the store and saved me from having to buy a new phone. Get decent 3G speeds (1.5Mbps but usually around 1Mbps) too.

For $55/month for unlimited talk, text, and data you just can't beat that lol. I look at Verizon's all you can eat plans and just shake my head. Ahhh it feels good not being in a contract...

Zan
@uab.edu

Zan to jseymour

Anon

to jseymour

Re: Still Getting By w/o Data

I agree. I work in IT and my wife and i still use flip phones. We have 2 laptops, a tablet and an unactivated Droid Bionic that i won in a contest. The wifey doesn't really care for smartphones and i am happy with grabbing any available hotspot for the tablet or the Bionic (which is essentially a pocket computer for me, not a phone).

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl to thegeek

Anon

to thegeek

Tmobile has a plan that is 100 minutes per line, unlimited texts and unlimited data (5GB then throttled) for 30 dollars a month. If you need more than 100 min, you can add unlimited mobile to mobile for 10 bucks more, and you can request free UMA/IMS wifi calling (all calls originating over your wifi are free).
You should be able to come in at least 600 dollars cheaper a year with this, if not more.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

1 edit

patt2k

:O

I have 4 lines ( 2 Galaxy Nexus , 1 Droid Razrr)

1 is iPhone 2GB everage use 500-800 megs
and the LTE phones usually in range of 1.5gb to 2++ (we all on LTE have 4 gig plans) now with this family thing... it looks bad for us :O

So question is if I wanna keep each individual at 4gb data will I be forced when contract ends to pay full price or that only goes for unlimited data?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Just got rid of my MiFi

I decided to use the Mobile Hotspot feature on my iPhone (which I am using right now while at the city library) which is only $20 per month instead of $50 for the MiFi. I did pay an ETF on the MiFi.

The only downfall is I am on 3G instead of 4G.

Now I wish I could get my mother to switch to Verizon but she refuses saying she likes AT&T better.

Also, what are the data plans for the individual plans (like my account which only has one line). I am willing to shell out $649 for the next iPhone, but I have to get my car fixed first as it has a faulty exhaust system.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Ripoff

I'm paying $60 per month for 2 phones to have unlimited. Yeah, I think I'll pass on this deal.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Re: what about business?

I'd like to see about Business as well. I'm currently on an unlimited personal but work does off a Business unlimited plan as well.
south1178

south1178 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

$260 for a car a month? What is that a KIA?
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

slimtim

Pricing Errors on new Shared Plan??

If you look at the pdf...

»solutions.vzwshop.com/sh ··· ails.pdf

On the 2nd page for their pricing on Basic Phones.
It shows the unlimited plan for Basic phones as $70.00* (+300mb data) and an asterisk next to $70, saying to add a smartphone is only another $10 line access fee?

Yet to add another basic phone is $30 line access. So adding a basic phone costs more than a smartphone?

Also, why the inaccuracies on what the true cost of Data is. Why is the Data Only package $30 for 4GB yet to get just 1 GB on a smartphone plan is $50.

VZW got some explaining to do.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to spewak

to spewak

Re: Another way

said by spewak:

Did he mean to say "shaft" instead?

Anytime they are charging more than $4 (extremely generous to Verizon) for an additional GB it is definitely the shaft.
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to trparky

to trparky

Re: God damn! This is highway robbery at gunpoint!

I am on Sprint with 3 smartphones. I pay $180 and some change for unlimited everything (with their limited restrictions of course).

I recently shopped AT&T and Verizon and to get a comparable plan it would have cost me around $324 for both AT&T and Verizon (AT&T was actually a penny more).

Analyzing this shows that with Sprint I have unlimited calling and messaging with 5GB per phone for a total of 15GB. That same plan on VW would cost $120 for phones and $175 for data (10GB + 5GB in overages) for a total of $295. Adding on the insurance which I always do for the first year and I would be paying about $5 more per month before all the addon fees and taxes than I would have if I switched 2 months ago.

Long story short, nothing has really gotten cheaper. They have just moved the ball under another shell.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next