spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-14 16:32:34: According to a post over at the Skype blog, the company has started injecting advertisements into video conversations for users who do not have Skype Credit or subscriptions when they're making 1:1 Skype-to-Skype audio calls using Skype for Windows. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Go Microsoft

I think they are second only to Yahoo on the "lets buy a great company/product and see how bad we can screw it up"

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
I love how they talk about the ads being fun and engaging.

I think I have heard that excuse before, with rich media ads in websites. the very ads that caused me to start using ad blockers.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

Ads are only fun and engaging if you design them... and it's your first week... and you're high on LSD.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

Why in the world would I want an Ad that I am seeing

to be an "exciting" new topic to discuss with my friend/family member?

My god, what an absolutely pathetic excuse for just wanting to put ads into the calls

Absurd and another reason I wont use Skype

covfam

join:2012-03-05
Black River Falls, WI
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Go Microsoft

the same adds that are usually so poorly coded that they crash or lock up browsers all time... oh wait that must be what they meant by fun!

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

Talk about ad copy

Sounds like they have hired the guy who writes up the WOOT product spots...now they are funny too....

Nia

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

ive been getting a blank advertisement window.
im sure thats because of my HOSTS file

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Please...

Are they honestly fooling ANYONE with that verbiage? For crying out loud.

The only good thing that will come of this is when backlash causes them to lose customers and they respond by removing the ads. Then they'll start the moon walk in an attempt to spin it as nothing more than an experiment. They'll close with the venerable, "We are a customer-driven company. The customer has spoken and doggoned, we listened!"

I feel bad for the folks that started with Skype before Microsoft bought them. After this, I have to assume their morale has to be pretty low. I know, I know, companies are in business to make money, not just neat stuff that never makes a profit. But the marketing speak alone has to tank morale every time the Skype employees have to explain it to peer groups, friends and family.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Often use Skype while in game or etc

If it starts tabbing me out or playing audio while I'm busy, that will be the end of using Skype.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
Yeah this is about the only time I use Skype as well, unless on the rare chances I'm video chatting family that's out of state, see if no one says anything about this, and it works without audio or alt tabbing out of your game (which btw Skype has a way to read you're in game and put a Skype window in the game itself) you know the next thing they're going to do is video ad's.

Blocking the other persons video to show you some ad for wtfever, if that happens then I'll definitely be deleting Skype from my PC..... I can deal with the audio ad's as long as they aren't playing audio in my ear and interrupting the conversation...

Matt
--
I am no longer an AT&T Employee. Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
Have U-verse questions? Please email uversecare@att.com and they will assist you!!

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

1 recommendation

I was mad at first...

but then I remember that Google does all of this too, and we're ok with it, but if Microsoft does it, then it's just 1 stop short of hell-on-earth for everyone.

If you are naive enough to believe that Google doesn't record your voice conversations in Gchat/Gvoice/Hangouts, then I've got some beachfront property in North Dakota to sell you.

At least if you buy Skype credit, the ads don't appear. Google doesn't even GIVE you that option. Just buy the credit and never use it, then you don't have to deal with the ads.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to KrK

Re: Often use Skype while in game or etc

+1 Here

If I'm talking to someone about stuff and it plays a random audio add that will be the end of Skype for me as well.

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to King P

Re: I was mad at first...

What about when your credit expires? I guess you can re-activate it tho.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
I also do the Bing rewards search. I just redeemed some points for Skype credit. Now I don't have to worry about ads, nor did I have to spend real money to get the skype credit.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: Why in the world would I want an Ad that I am seeing

Yeah, the additional conversation will be "God !@$#!# how do I get rid of this !@#&^ ad?"

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

I think they are second only to Yahoo on the "lets buy a great company/product and see how bad we can screw it up"

Only applies to voice calls on people who are using the FREE service on a PC. Don't want ads, PAY for service. what's wrong with that?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Bill Neilson

said by Bill Neilson:

My god, what an absolutely pathetic excuse for just wanting to put ads into the calls

Are you using only voice calls on a PC? Are you only using the FREE service. If the answer is no to any of those the ads won't apply to you? What do people expect everything for free?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to rradina

Re: Please...

said by rradina:

The only good thing that will come of this is when backlash causes them to lose customers and they respond by removing the ads.

If you are using a service for FREE then you are NOT a customer. customers bring in revenue.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to pclover

said by pclover:

What about when your credit expires? I guess you can re-activate it tho.

Awww you might have to actually PAY for a service. Isn't that mean of them to do to you? You should be entitled to everything for free.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

old school skype user here.. pay for a free service? Nope.

just another reason to stop using skype alltogether and move to Google's call phones or similar FREE service.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to Mike
Or if you're actually in the market for a product/service, or have a compulsive shopping issue.

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

"Meaningful Conversations About Brands"

Such as this:

"Dammit, this is the third time today they've played this stupid [insert brand name] ad over my conversation!"
"Yeah, they can forget about me buying [insert brand name]; just thinking about it annoys me now."
"Same here!"

Dear ad executives: You are not revolutionizing society. You are not bringing joy and brightness to the dismal lives of undermarketed people who just can't figure out what to blow their money on. You are, at best, a necessary evil.
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

It could be worse

The Ethiopian government, Al Jazeera reports, has criminalized the use of Skype and other VoIP services like Google Talk. Using VoIP services is now punishable by up to 15 years in prison. This law actually passed last month, but mostly went unnoticed outside of the country. Ethiopian authorities argue that they imposed these bans because of “national security concerns” and to protect the state’s telecommunications monopoly. The country only has one ISP, the state-owned Ethio Telecom, and has been filtering its citizen’s Internet access for quite some time now to suppress opposition blogs and other news outlets.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Camelot One:

Only applies to voice calls on people who are using the FREE service on a PC. Don't want ads, PAY for service. what's wrong with that?

How about we make it easier, crack skype software and remove the ads or maybe just block it using firewall.

silentlooker
Premium
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Bill Neilson:

Are you using only voice calls on a PC? Are you only using the FREE service. If the answer is no to any of those the ads won't apply to you? What do people expect everything for free?

Why should we not expect everything free? I am guessing you are paying for all software?

silentlooker
Premium
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by rradina:

The only good thing that will come of this is when backlash causes them to lose customers and they respond by removing the ads.

If you are using a service for FREE then you are NOT a customer. customers bring in revenue.

Oh that is what it is all about revenue, got you.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to openbox9

I do like to insult people by saying "I bet you're the type of person who laughs at commercials" if it fits.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Awww you might have to actually PAY for a service. Isn't that mean of them to do to you? You should be entitled to everything for free.

Your comments get less constructive and less creative every week. Take a moment to look back at your own posts over the months. Every single one of them is "you expect FREE stuff?... you should PAY for this and PAY for that". Try adding something constructive to just one conversation one of these days. You made FOUR of those posts in just this thread alone.

Not everybody enjoys the ever-increasing bills that we all receive every month. Not everybody enjoys their lives being littered with advertisements everywhere we go. Highways, radio, TV, mailbox...even car dealerships are gluing their advertisements on the back of cars. What's your response to that? I'm getting my $45,000 car for a 'steal', and thus it should become a billboard?

Some people enjoy finding ways to cut costs where ever they can. The sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298

A customer is someone who receives a product or service from a provider in exchange for something of value. Value is much more broad than revenue and Microsoft does not necessarily have to advertise to derive value or revenue from customers. In fact it's quite possible they could offer Skype-to-Skype service for free by correlating Skype activity with browsing activity and using that to drive more successful advertising for it's other Internet properties.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to pokesph

and google records your calls later to sell to advertisers on its network. And how long do you think Google Shareholders are going to let Google Voice be free? Time is running out on that product since it costs more $$$$ than running a search engine or email service.