dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-14 16:32:34: According to a post over at the Skype blog, the company has started injecting advertisements into video conversations for users who do not have Skype Credit or subscriptions when they're making 1:1 Skype-to-Skype audio calls using Skype for Windows. ..

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Go Microsoft

I think they are second only to Yahoo on the "lets buy a great company/product and see how bad we can screw it up"
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Re: Go Microsoft

I love how they talk about the ads being fun and engaging.

I think I have heard that excuse before, with rich media ads in websites. the very ads that caused me to start using ad blockers.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

Mike

Mod

Ads are only fun and engaging if you design them... and it's your first week... and you're high on LSD.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Or if you're actually in the market for a product/service, or have a compulsive shopping issue.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I do like to insult people by saying "I bet you're the type of person who laughs at commercials" if it fits.
covfam
join:2012-03-05
Black River Falls, WI

covfam to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
the same adds that are usually so poorly coded that they crash or lock up browsers all time... oh wait that must be what they meant by fun!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Camelot One

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

I think they are second only to Yahoo on the "lets buy a great company/product and see how bad we can screw it up"

Only applies to voice calls on people who are using the FREE service on a PC. Don't want ads, PAY for service. what's wrong with that?

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

pokesph

Premium Member

old school skype user here.. pay for a free service? Nope.

just another reason to stop using skype alltogether and move to Google's call phones or similar FREE service.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

and google records your calls later to sell to advertisers on its network. And how long do you think Google Shareholders are going to let Google Voice be free? Time is running out on that product since it costs more $$$$ than running a search engine or email service.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

said by 25139889:

and google records your calls later to sell to advertisers on its network. And how long do you think Google Shareholders are going to let Google Voice be free? Time is running out on that product since it costs more $$$$ than running a search engine or email service.

I do so love your anti-Google rants. Thanks for the laugh.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

Google Voice is free so the NSA can get more people to use it.

duh
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

They have ATT for that and Siri.

25139889 (banned) to Jim Kirk

to Jim Kirk
and its true about Google. How do you think they make their $$$? They record and sell your details, And do you really think the shareholders are going to let them role our products and keep giving them away free? HELL NO! They're going to demand a return on their $$$.

So suck it up and be ready to pay. They've already started it with Google Apps which was free for the longest time.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

said by 25139889:

and its true about Google. How do you think they make their $$$? They record and sell your details, And do you really think the shareholders are going to let them role our products and keep giving them away free? HELL NO! They're going to demand a return on their $$$.

So suck it up and be ready to pay. They've already started it with Google Apps which was free for the longest time.

There will always be free alternative that works just fine.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

They record and sell your details

Well, its still better than ads.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to Jim Kirk

Premium Member

to Jim Kirk
said by Jim Kirk:

said by 25139889:

I do so love your anti-Google rants. Thanks for the laugh.

Heck, I love his rants...period!
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to pokesph

to pokesph
said by pokesph:

old school skype user here.. pay for a free service? Nope.

just another reason to stop using skype alltogether and move to Google's call phones or similar FREE service.

I'm sure MS is crushed that a person offers ZERO $$$ to their revenue stream will no longer use their service.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Camelot One:

Only applies to voice calls on people who are using the FREE service on a PC. Don't want ads, PAY for service. what's wrong with that?

How about we make it easier, crack skype software and remove the ads or maybe just block it using firewall.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by 40757180:

said by 88615298:

said by Camelot One:

How about we make it easier, crack skype software and remove the ads or maybe just block it using firewall.

How about paying or not using the service? Why are you entitled to anything?
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by 88615298:

How about not. You know windows 7 and 8 been cracked quickly as well office. So will Skype if it's software base and not server base ads.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by 40757180:

said by 88615298:

How about not. You know windows 7 and 8 been cracked quickly as well office. So will Skype if it's software base and not server base ads.

I suspect you are jobless and live at home with mom.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by 88615298:

said by 40757180:

said by 88615298:

I suspect you are jobless and live at home with mom.

LOL no but it would be nice to be young again and not worry about paying bills etc. I am what you call from "old school" when pirating what totally in the open. You're welcome to pay for everything.

anon12345
@mycingular.net

anon12345 to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
Lol you crack me up with this BS.. Sirius, xm radio, Xbox live are all pay services that didn't use to have ads... its just a greedy cash grab,and you sound just as greedy...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Camelot One

to Camelot One
Microsoft sucks the big one,NO SURPRISE THEY ARE DOING THIS!
said by BF69 :
Well the original company that owned skype DIDNT DO THIS!! (ITS FREE) - Microsoft really sucks.....

I wonder if someone stuck with an OLDER VERSION OF SKYPE it would prevent any spam ads from showing?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Microsoft sucks the big one,NO SURPRISE THEY ARE DOING THIS!

said by BF69 :
Well the original company that owned skype DIDNT DO THIS!! (ITS FREE) - Microsoft really sucks.....

I wonder if someone stuck with an OLDER VERSION OF SKYPE it would prevent any spam ads from showing?

The original company sold out to MS for lots of $$$$$$$$. I wonder why? Maybe they couldn't make money giving out a free service.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

ahh, ahh, ahh! You forgot about the D----eb--s at Ebay that messed with them first.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Why in the world would I want an Ad that I am seeing

to be an "exciting" new topic to discuss with my friend/family member?

My god, what an absolutely pathetic excuse for just wanting to put ads into the calls

Absurd and another reason I wont use Skype
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Re: Why in the world would I want an Ad that I am seeing

Yeah, the additional conversation will be "God !@$#!# how do I get rid of this !@#&^ ad?"
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Bill Neilson

to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

My god, what an absolutely pathetic excuse for just wanting to put ads into the calls

Are you using only voice calls on a PC? Are you only using the FREE service. If the answer is no to any of those the ads won't apply to you? What do people expect everything for free?
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by 88615298:

said by Bill Neilson:

Are you using only voice calls on a PC? Are you only using the FREE service. If the answer is no to any of those the ads won't apply to you? What do people expect everything for free?

Why should we not expect everything free? I am guessing you are paying for all software?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by 40757180:

said by 88615298:

said by Bill Neilson:

Why should we not expect everything free?

Because in grown-up land real life doesn't work that way.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

Rekrul

In grown-up land, Anything that is free and popular will be bought by a corporation so that they can f*** it over and stick ads on it.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

What do people expect everything for free?

Where exactly did I say that I want everything for free?

Skype told me that my calls would be free....thus, I use it for free. Now that they are telling me that ads will be put in and use a "exciting" line that is being mocked almost universally, I will not use it.

What part of that makes me again...want everything to be free? Should I be forced to keep using Skype in your analogy or can I pick and choose what I want to use based on idiotic ideas like this?

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

Niarlan

Premium Member

Talk about ad copy

Sounds like they have hired the guy who writes up the WOOT product spots...now they are funny too....

Nia

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

ive been getting a blank advertisement window.
im sure thats because of my HOSTS file

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Re:  

It's even better when you've got Ad Blocking built into your router... That keeps ads out of everything
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Please...

Are they honestly fooling ANYONE with that verbiage? For crying out loud.

The only good thing that will come of this is when backlash causes them to lose customers and they respond by removing the ads. Then they'll start the moon walk in an attempt to spin it as nothing more than an experiment. They'll close with the venerable, "We are a customer-driven company. The customer has spoken and doggoned, we listened!"

I feel bad for the folks that started with Skype before Microsoft bought them. After this, I have to assume their morale has to be pretty low. I know, I know, companies are in business to make money, not just neat stuff that never makes a profit. But the marketing speak alone has to tank morale every time the Skype employees have to explain it to peer groups, friends and family.

••••••••••

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Often use Skype while in game or etc

If it starts tabbing me out or playing audio while I'm busy, that will be the end of using Skype.
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

Re: Often use Skype while in game or etc

Yeah this is about the only time I use Skype as well, unless on the rare chances I'm video chatting family that's out of state, see if no one says anything about this, and it works without audio or alt tabbing out of your game (which btw Skype has a way to read you're in game and put a Skype window in the game itself) you know the next thing they're going to do is video ad's.

Blocking the other persons video to show you some ad for wtfever, if that happens then I'll definitely be deleting Skype from my PC..... I can deal with the audio ad's as long as they aren't playing audio in my ear and interrupting the conversation...

Matt

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover to KrK

to KrK
+1 Here

If I'm talking to someone about stuff and it plays a random audio add that will be the end of Skype for me as well.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

1 recommendation

King P

Premium Member

I was mad at first...

but then I remember that Google does all of this too, and we're ok with it, but if Microsoft does it, then it's just 1 stop short of hell-on-earth for everyone.

If you are naive enough to believe that Google doesn't record your voice conversations in Gchat/Gvoice/Hangouts, then I've got some beachfront property in North Dakota to sell you.

At least if you buy Skype credit, the ads don't appear. Google doesn't even GIVE you that option. Just buy the credit and never use it, then you don't have to deal with the ads.

••••••••

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf

"Meaningful Conversations About Brands"

Such as this:

"Dammit, this is the third time today they've played this stupid [insert brand name] ad over my conversation!"
"Yeah, they can forget about me buying [insert brand name]; just thinking about it annoys me now."
"Same here!"

Dear ad executives: You are not revolutionizing society. You are not bringing joy and brightness to the dismal lives of undermarketed people who just can't figure out what to blow their money on. You are, at best, a necessary evil.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

It could be worse

The Ethiopian government, Al Jazeera reports, has criminalized the use of Skype and other VoIP services like Google Talk. Using VoIP services is now punishable by up to 15 years in prison. This law actually passed last month, but mostly went unnoticed outside of the country. Ethiopian authorities argue that they imposed these bans because of “national security concerns” and to protect the state’s telecommunications monopoly. The country only has one ISP, the state-owned Ethio Telecom, and has been filtering its citizen’s Internet access for quite some time now to suppress opposition blogs and other news outlets.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Re: It could be worse

At least there's little doubt about Ethiopia's intent and corruption. While I certainly appreciate what we have, objective aliens might see little difference between Ethiopia and our oligopolies except that we use liberal amounts of slick marketing speak as Preparation H.
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha

Leave

Everyone leaves Skype in 3... 2... 1...
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

Re: Leave

and all those claiming they'll leave- never will.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Who gives a shit?

These ads appear on VOICE only calls on your computer screen. Since it's voice only it's not like you're looking at the fucking screen anyways. And if you are then MINIMIZE the fucking app. Problem solved.

•••••

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

Bound to happen

This was bound to happen when Micro$ucks$ got a hold of the title. Just like when Wizards of the coast got a hold of the TSR property for Dungeons and Dragons, we Get a new "edition" every year.

NoSkypeAds
@bhn.net

NoSkypeAds

Anon

Skype Ad Servers

After some packet sniffing I discovered the following ad servers were being contacted by the Skype app.

75.98.29.0/26, adlegend.com
65.54.93.0/24, msecn.net
8.19.18.0/24, dimestore
4.26.45.0/24, adexpose (also used by scorecardresearch)
74.217.34.0/24, adlegend
74.217.59.0/24, adlegend
173.194.37.16/28 google ads

204.9.163.247/32, Skype Upgrade server