spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-15 10:36:24: Back in February T-Mobile announced that the company would be making the shift to LTE, and has since been buy installing new equipment at 37,000 cell sites and refarming spectrum in order to launch LTE in 2013. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

Not just the iPhone...

although those are the users that T-Mobile is primarily targeting, but any phone (which is almost all modern GSM phones) with the 1900Mhz band, should be able to get full 3G. They are moving LTE to their 1700Mhz spectrum after the refarm is complete.

Hopefully my Lumia 800 will get 3G soon. It only works on EDGE right now, but it would be nice to get full HSPA on my device, since it's capable of it.

Currently only Jailbroken iPhones can get on T-Mobile, right? They only work on EDGE as well?
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

It's a SCAM!

T-Mobile "4G" phones can't get 3G and there's no "4G" available hardly anywhere so my phone only gets Edge now they are coming out with LTE that I won't be able to get either? I hope someone starts a class action suit because of this scam. This has got to be one of the biggest consumer fraud cases of 2012!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to King P

Re: Not just the iPhone...

Jailbreaking and unlocking are separate. You would need to be unlocked to use another carrier. A factory unlocked iPhone will work as well.

BiggA

EARTH

2 recommendations

reply to ArizonaSteve

Re: It's a SCAM!

It's there, they just have crappy coverage. You should have checked their shamefully puny coverage map before you bought their service. It has nothing to do with fraud, only your stupidity to not check the coverage before buying.

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to ArizonaSteve
I doubt that it's a scam, but more that your phone doesn't support the 1700Mhz frequency that T-Mobile uses for 3G/4G. By the end of the year, 3G/4G will be on the 1900Mhz band, and your phone will get it.

What type phone do you have?

Nevermind. I just read your review of T-Mobile with your phone. It should support the 1700 band...sounds like they've just neglected your area.

You can try an AT&T MVNO like Red Pocket Mobile. They have HSPA+ on AT&T's network (900/1800/1900/2100), so your phone might get it. You'll need to fiddle with the APN, but they have an Android app that will configure it for you.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to BiggA

Re: Not just the iPhone...

yeah, my bad. I forgot that unlocking the SIM was part of it too...durrr. Thanks
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

As long as.....

There network is still backwards compatible with there previous smart phones and TMO will launch at least hspa 42+ on the 1900mhz band its kind of a win for customers. upgrade your phone to get LTE advanced ( which is a step ahead of verizon and ATT) or be able to use any previous smartphone that supports hspa+ on 1900 (IE: my G2X rooted with ICS on board). I can always upgrade to a new phone on LTE in 2013 and give my little sister (22 is not so little anymore) my G2X and she can still have a fast enough phone and service to keep her happy.

To Steve your area got passed over its time to accept it, I had to with one of my residences in the far southwest burbs of chicago, If its that bad might want to switch service, best of luck with ATT.

PS: unofficially Im also staying with TMO because the leak says for 2013 there shaking up data packages on prepaid and plans. Prepaid the most. Word is the $50 plan will have 1GB of 4G ( instead of 100MB) before throttle and the other plans will move up respectively in data allotments as well and the throttles for all plans will rise from this pathetic 79-118kbps to 256-512kbps. enough for people to stop complaining on using any music streaming service or google maps, just not at the same time.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to ArizonaSteve

lol

riiiight

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to buddahbless

Re: As long as.....

I get throttled to 56kbps up and down when I reach my limit but we are on a family share plan with my phone being the only one with the data plan.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
I believe thats dependent on your phone and area. For me After throttling Im consistently between 80-110kbps. Ive tested my phone on throttling in Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Chicago, NYC (3 boroughs), DC, Atlanta, and a few other places all east of the Mississippi.

delusion ftl

@comcast.net
reply to ArizonaSteve

Which tower are you normally associating with? The one in florence?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to buddahbless

It's the SGSII and it did the same with my vibrant 3G, must just be how the area is i guess. All tests never really broke 56kbps, once in a while I would see 60kbps but mostly 56. I don't travel much if any cept during the holidays so I don't get to test in other cities.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to CptGemini
It's 5GB limit, right? We never seem to hit it, twitter doesn't use that much :P

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5
reply to ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction borders the edge of the Tonto National Forest and is on the outskirts of Gilbert. Looks like you have hardly any coverage at all.
Next time do some research before you buy.

georgeglass5

join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

There service is so bad

T-mobile themselves got so tired of the negative comments left by customers on their facebook page, that they've disabled the ability, to do so. As far as their coverage map, its a joke, they really don't want anyone to know how many holes there are in their coverage. Great for them & bad for the consumer, they are expected to lead the way, instead the people get led astray. T-mobiles gotta realize that in the long run, you can only put so much powdered sugar on a turd, because in the end its still a turd.

xmarklive

@sbcglobal.net

cell coverage

Before you sign a contract with some cell company .go buy a pre-paid phone of eBay and test the phone coverage area so that I no longer have yo hear about bad coverage.....word of advice any one that works in a large building like WalMart or Meijer just know that you will most likely lose a signal in the middle of the store or get really slow speeds with tmobile......i pay 50 dollars for 2gb with unlimited text and 400 minutes on the value plan so it's worth it.....plus I use my phone mostly at home and car so win win

King P
Premium
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to buddahbless

I hope that's true. I'm on the prepaid $50/mo plan and getting an upgrade to 1GB would be awesome, especially once they light up 3G/HSPA+ on 1900Mhz.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
reply to BiggA

BiggA, you should check the coverage map yourself! Their maps shows good coverage all around the Phoenix area but they don't tell you it's Edge only and not 4G!

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to ptrowski
ptrowski, there's zero coverage in Scottsdale and it doesn't work even in downtown Phoenix either so it's not my area, just fraud by T-Mobile. There is good 3G coverage everywhere here but the stupid new "4G" phones can't get 3G so nothing works unless you are on wi-fi. I heard about a year or so ago that they were going to upgrade to "4G" but I guess they never did it because of the threat to buy them by AT&T.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
reply to delusion ftl
delusion ftl, no all the wireless companies have towers within a mile of my house. Coverage is very good except for "4G" which does not exist.

tmh

@verizon.net

Yay!

I'll be happy if I can get an unlocked Lumina 900 working on T's network.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
·Comcast
reply to ArizonaSteve

If you have android download this app. »play.google.com/store/apps/detai ··· er&hl=en. These are the most accurate maps i have ever used, they update on a daily basis if you contribute data, if not you can search for a lot of info on different providers check it out.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to tmh

Re: Yay!

TMO is making progress in place - Got TMO in Moab and down 191 this year. At least good for talk and text. Whoever TMO used for roaming was awful before.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to ArizonaSteve

The crayoned pink is data, which means GPRS, OR EDGE OR HSPA+.

You have to zoom way in to see what is GPRS/EDGE and what is HSPA+.

JakCrow

join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

T-Mobile "4G" phones can't get 3G and there's no "4G" available hardly anywhere so my phone only gets Edge now they are coming out with LTE that I won't be able to get either? I hope someone starts a class action suit because of this scam. This has got to be one of the biggest consumer fraud cases of 2012!

Both tmo's 4g and 3g are on the same band, so without proof to back up your claim, I call BS.

compton

join:2002-02-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

It's there, they just have crappy coverage. You should have checked their shamefully puny coverage map before you bought their service. It has nothing to do with fraud, only your stupidity to not check the coverage before buying.

Is it only me or do you guys also get the feeling that BiggA was a former Tmobile customer who got the boot and is now acting like a spurn school girl.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to JakCrow
My friends g2x 4g phone shows 2g while standing next to his wifes mytouch 3g that is on 3g in a 3g only area. What hes saying is absolutely true.

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

ptrowski, there's zero coverage in Scottsdale and it doesn't work even in downtown Phoenix either so it's not my area, just fraud by T-Mobile. There is good 3G coverage everywhere here but the stupid new "4G" phones can't get 3G so nothing works unless you are on wi-fi. I heard about a year or so ago that they were going to upgrade to "4G" but I guess they never did it because of the threat to buy them by AT&T.

maybe its your phone. Just spend a few weeks in AJ and had HSPA working on my phone. The whole time i was there it was showing what they call 4g. All round AJ and mesa never had a slow down.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to ArizonaSteve
When I first signed up my new prepaid "samsung exhibit II 4g" didn't have any 4g/2g data access in my house.. I had to call up t-mobile tech support, they informed me to

Go into "settings" app.. select "Mobile networks"..

Make sure "Use packet data" and "Data Roaming" have green checkmarks.

Under "Access point names".. make sure its epc.tmobile.com

Under Network mode.. GSM/WCDMA (auto mode) should have a green dot..

good luck.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to compton
No. I've been a Cingular/AT&T Mobility customer all along.