dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-20 08:39:26: An anonymous tipster (so take that for what it's worth since we've been unable to confirm this with any of our usual sources) insists in our forums that there's a suite of speed hikes coming -- at least for Comcast users in the Northeast. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

Comcast will not be able to keep up on the upstream

Comcast needs new infrastructure or they'll never be able to offer fast upload. They'll have to invest the billions that Verizon invested a few years ago.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

fios was a new build out. Comcast just took over older cable systems that where build some time ago.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

CV, join the party..

hey, if Comcast can boost 50mbit tier to 100, why not cablevision? Optimum boost @ 100+mbits would be great, of course that means docsis 3 bonded upstream channels for higher upload too.. 100/8 would be too asymmetric. 25 or more on the upstream!
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

Double speed

I've seen Comcast TV commercials in NJ that state two tiers will soon have double the speed at no additional cost.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: CV, join the party..

They already do at 101/15. »www.optimum.com/home-int ··· rnet.jsp

anononon
@myvzw.com

anononon to Joe12345678

Anon

to Joe12345678

Re: Comcast will not be able to keep up on the upstream

Didn't that also happen to Vz, except they chose to reinvest in their infrastructure (at the time) instead of buying a TV network. Vz's facilities are twice the age and better maintained. Now its just about hoarding the mist money possible.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to amarryat

to amarryat
That doesn't matter right now because the overwhelming majority of their users are not going to sustain these speeds. They are updating their networks similar to how businesses use just in time inventory.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to ihatedslr

to ihatedslr

Re: Double speed

They plan to start charging by gigabyte, so if you actually make use of the the bandwidth it will be at a huge extra cost

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Ahhhhhh

More token downstream boosts that'll go largely unused.
how about more upload[which always can be used!]
dvd536

dvd536 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

hey, if Comcast can boost 50mbit tier to 100, why not cablevision? Optimum boost @ 100+mbits would be great, of course that means docsis 3 bonded upstream channels for higher upload too.. 100/8 would be too asymmetric. 25 or more on the upstream!

Cablevision doing 15mbps WITHOUT upstream bonding!
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

I'm ok with that.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
Faster speeds are always welcomed!
gate1975mlm

1 edit

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
The faster speed should also help online video to load faster.
gate1975mlm

2 edits

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
said by ihatedslr:

I've seen Comcast TV commercials in NJ that state two tiers will soon have double the speed at no additional cost.

I just heard the same thing but on the radio
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Its 100% True speed upgrades are coming very soon!

I was just listening to local radio station 94WIP Sports Radio here in Philly and they just had a brand new Comcast commercial talking about the new speed upgrade coming very soon!

Blast becomes 50
Extreme becomes 105

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536

Re: Ahhhhhh

What's useful for you may not be so useful for others. Not many people upload videos to youtube or backup offline. So download speeds are obviously more important to a large majority of people.

I got 50/8 now and happy with that, If I got 100/25 i'd be happy with that too but I rarely EVER upload anything large anymore. My friends that download from my server are happy with my 1MB/s speeds to them, faster than they can get from most other places already.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

They plan to start charging by gigabyte, so if you actually make use of the the bandwidth it will be at a huge extra cost

No there not!

Not until you go over the 300GB Cap anyway.

And that cap maybe even higher once they finalize everything.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Chris 313

to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

They already do at 101/15. »www.optimum.com/home-int ··· rnet.jsp

Well, technically the price will be more for that speed.. Comcast price is $65 for the 50 which will boost to 105... the OOL Extreme 101 is $99+ w/ a $300 installation fee which is not justifiable w/ Verizon breaking new speed barriers.

Having 100mbit speeds for $45 - $65 would be a big shift in the cost per (download) megabit!
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm

Given how slowly they have moved in the past I wouldn't look for the 300GB monthly limit to increase for at least five years. Currently that new limit puts them ahead of anyone else in the USA that has a monthly limit, and it still is a low enough limit that it will keep the cord cutters that move to Internet downloads to a minimum (which is the main purpose of the limit.)

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Yes, I agree, having 100 for the base price would be awesome. It'll happen, just give it a few more years. I was robbed of the chance since Comcast hasn't even upgraded to D3 here yet so I don't have anything faster then 16/2 since last year. But I waited 5 years for 50 to become affordable and look, it's coming. And when it finally gets to me, it'll probably be faster then the 50 they're rolling out now.

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents

Does this effect Buisiness Class?

Any word if these changes would also affect Premium and Deluxe Business class subscribers also?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

In an area where FiOS ain't available

Springfield, MA is in the Northeast but we cannot get FiOS. AT&T U-Verse is available about a 15 minute drive from our house just south of the border in Enfield, CT. Too bad Verizon couldn't sell their Western Massachusetts assets to AT&T so they could expand their U-Verse into the Springfield area.

Hopefully we'll get the better speeds as Comcast has D3 in our area and we've had it since late 2008 as we were one of the first areas to get D3.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

I was told

At my local best buy that's what I was told when I was checking out new cable modems and got swarmed by the workers. Those speed's are dead on from what I was told, so who knows I'll believe it when I do some speed test's

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat

My wi-fi router can't seem to go above 20 mbps, so a Comcast speed increase won't make my network faster. When connected directly to ethernet, I get 35 mbps down 10 up.

sherman06810
join:2000-10-15
Danbury, CT

sherman06810

Business Tiers

If the rumor is true, will I see an increase from 22/5 to 50/5 on my business class tier?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Camaro

Premium Member

to Camaro

Re: I was told

Make sure you buy a D3 modem. I have a Motorola 6120 but you'll have to get the 6121 because the 6120 is discontinued. I frequently shop at the Best Buy at Holyoke Mall and they're always sold out of the 6121 modems. They always have a boatload of 5101 modems in stock but I have a gut feeling that Comcast is soon going to declare all D2 modems to be end of life soon (which means they'll no longer support them). My 6120 works good for me though although I have thoughts of getting the 6121 but the folks in the Comcast HSI forum on this site said that the 6120 and the 6121 are basically the same thing except for a few minor tweaks.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm to sherman06810

Premium Member

to sherman06810

Re: Business Tiers

It is true!

Here is the radio commercial!

You may need to turn up the volume a little
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: In an area where FiOS ain't available

Glad I moved from chicopee to chicagoland. But your choices are not bad. U can have Comcast or charter (which serves chicopee). I don't know if vz DSL is in Springfield area but it is in chicopee. There is no fios there though last time I checked.

I used to live for about a year in Dubuque, IA for job related reasons and my only viable choice at that time was mediacom. Its more mediocre and pricey than Comcast. Constant outages and slowdowns. Cable rental boxes are joke. My other choice was century link but I stuck with media com due to contract. Eventually I broke contract with them free of etf due to incorrect prices was given during my phone orders, that's when I got involved bbb and sa. After I did that somehow they services have improved and no longer had to deal with slowdowns at peak times. Dbq area still has no 4g from vz or att except for us cellular. But 3g from att has always been rock solid.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to NickD

to NickD

said by NickD:

My wi-fi router can't seem to go above 20 mbps, so a Comcast speed increase won't make my network faster. When connected directly to ethernet, I get 35 mbps down 10 up.

You need to get an "N" wifi router.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Re: I was told

Yup same location I did, I have a Arris WBM760A and they also say it is compatible, thanks for the advice though.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next