dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-20 08:39:26: An anonymous tipster (so take that for what it's worth since we've been unable to confirm this with any of our usual sources) insists in our forums that there's a suite of speed hikes coming -- at least for Comcast users in the Northeast. ..

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

Comcast will not be able to keep up on the upstream

Comcast needs new infrastructure or they'll never be able to offer fast upload. They'll have to invest the billions that Verizon invested a few years ago.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Re: Comcast will not be able to keep up on the upstream

fios was a new build out. Comcast just took over older cable systems that where build some time ago.

anononon
@myvzw.com

anononon

Anon

Didn't that also happen to Vz, except they chose to reinvest in their infrastructure (at the time) instead of buying a TV network. Vz's facilities are twice the age and better maintained. Now its just about hoarding the mist money possible.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

and here i am in the west coast
ffs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to amarryat

to amarryat
That doesn't matter right now because the overwhelming majority of their users are not going to sustain these speeds. They are updating their networks similar to how businesses use just in time inventory.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat
My wi-fi router can't seem to go above 20 mbps, so a Comcast speed increase won't make my network faster. When connected directly to ethernet, I get 35 mbps down 10 up.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

said by NickD:

My wi-fi router can't seem to go above 20 mbps, so a Comcast speed increase won't make my network faster. When connected directly to ethernet, I get 35 mbps down 10 up.

You need to get an "N" wifi router.

An
@comcast.net

An to NickD

Anon

to NickD
buy a Gb router...and you gotta remember wifi is half duplex so theres always loss.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

said by An :

buy a Gb router...and you gotta remember wifi is half duplex so theres always loss.

For me, my bottle neck was my cables and my CC phone/modem. I dumped the phone service months ago and CC refused to give me a new modem. So, I just said, screw you, I'll go get my own SB6121 docis3 and swapped out my cables to 6e's. Already got a giga router and 802.11n router (Dlink DIR655 and matching AP). I'm paying 40 right now for 25/4 and I'm happy with the speeds. Bottle neck is gone.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat
This is what pains me from moving into an area that had FiOS to an area that only has Comcast available. My Slingbox can't keep up now with the meager upload that Comcast offers, at all but the most expensive business tiers.

I see 35/6 on speed tests with an ok latency, but even as the only person that uses this connection, the uploads just don't cut it. I can't imagine how this might impact a family or a group of users trying to share the same connection.

My Verizon HTC Rezound can get steady LTE upload speeds at a faster rate than my home connection.

My download speed is plenty fast enough already, but an increase in my upload speeds would be the most beneficial to me.
quintin3265
join:2008-06-07
State College, PA

quintin3265

Two points:

1. It doesn't matter what Comcast increases their speeds to, because they still have caps. Who cares if you have 50 down when you just hit the cap faster?

2. Why do you need more than 6 up? There are two people living in my house on a Comcast 12/2 business connection, and we don't have any problems with upload speed at all. Even "high-definition" providers like Netflix only stream so-called "HD" streams at 2Mbps.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by quintin3265:

2. Why do you need more than 6 up? There are two people living in my house on a Comcast 12/2 business connection, and we don't have any problems with upload speed at all. Even "high-definition" providers like Netflix only stream so-called "HD" streams at 2Mbps.

Google what a Slingbox is. It's nothing like Netflix.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to quintin3265

to quintin3265
said by quintin3265:

Even "high-definition" providers like Netflix only stream so-called "HD" streams at 2Mbps.

That's not true. I've got Netflix on my AppleTV and have watched it pull around 8-11Mbps when streaming HD content. This was verified with my FIOS routers bandwidth page. IIRC it was while streaming the TV show Flashpoint at 1080.

So yes with an adequate connection Netflix will stream tons of data and I'm tankful I'm on FIOS.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to quintin3265

Premium Member

to quintin3265
said by quintin3265:

Two points:

1. It doesn't matter what Comcast increases their speeds to, because they still have caps. Who cares if you have 50 down when you just hit the cap faster?

#1 ) Grow up. This topic has been beaten to death already for years! ..and it talking about hitting caps that much faster isn't going to change. Maybe people want to just get what they already DO, done FASTER.. Just because your car goes faster doesn't mean you're going to drive any further.. it just means you have more power and the ability to go faster. So drop the years old crap already.

2) Listening to your #2 pretty much says you don't know what you're talking about.. I get streams at about 10mb.. not sure what your problem is.

If you don't want the extra speed then tell them not to upgrade you at no charge.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

CV, join the party..

hey, if Comcast can boost 50mbit tier to 100, why not cablevision? Optimum boost @ 100+mbits would be great, of course that means docsis 3 bonded upstream channels for higher upload too.. 100/8 would be too asymmetric. 25 or more on the upstream!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: CV, join the party..

They already do at 101/15. »www.optimum.com/home-int ··· rnet.jsp
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

said by Chris 313:

They already do at 101/15. »www.optimum.com/home-int ··· rnet.jsp

Well, technically the price will be more for that speed.. Comcast price is $65 for the 50 which will boost to 105... the OOL Extreme 101 is $99+ w/ a $300 installation fee which is not justifiable w/ Verizon breaking new speed barriers.

Having 100mbit speeds for $45 - $65 would be a big shift in the cost per (download) megabit!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yes, I agree, having 100 for the base price would be awesome. It'll happen, just give it a few more years. I was robbed of the chance since Comcast hasn't even upgraded to D3 here yet so I don't have anything faster then 16/2 since last year. But I waited 5 years for 50 to become affordable and look, it's coming. And when it finally gets to me, it'll probably be faster then the 50 they're rolling out now.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

hey, if Comcast can boost 50mbit tier to 100, why not cablevision? Optimum boost @ 100+mbits would be great, of course that means docsis 3 bonded upstream channels for higher upload too.. 100/8 would be too asymmetric. 25 or more on the upstream!

Cablevision doing 15mbps WITHOUT upstream bonding!
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

Double speed

I've seen Comcast TV commercials in NJ that state two tiers will soon have double the speed at no additional cost.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Re: Double speed

They plan to start charging by gigabyte, so if you actually make use of the the bandwidth it will be at a huge extra cost
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

I'm ok with that.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

They plan to start charging by gigabyte, so if you actually make use of the the bandwidth it will be at a huge extra cost

No there not!

Not until you go over the 300GB Cap anyway.

And that cap maybe even higher once they finalize everything.
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower

Given how slowly they have moved in the past I wouldn't look for the 300GB monthly limit to increase for at least five years. Currently that new limit puts them ahead of anyone else in the USA that has a monthly limit, and it still is a low enough limit that it will keep the cord cutters that move to Internet downloads to a minimum (which is the main purpose of the limit.)
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
But we're talking about 100Mbps here. 300GB can be burned through in hours, so that cap has a loooooooooooong way to go before it is even close to appropriate. Well, it wouldn't actually be that hard--they could just replace "GB" with "TB"

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by Wilsdom:

But we're talking about 100Mbps here. 300GB can be burned through in hours, so that cap has a loooooooooooong way to go before it is even close to appropriate. Well, it wouldn't actually be that hard--they could just replace "GB" with "TB"

Who is going to deliver you 300GB of content in "just a few hours?"
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

akamai ? l3 ? Limelight ? IBM ? At&t ?

Should I continue ?

My Company had vpn concentrators on gig links , id appreciate the ability to work from home when I need to do big software installs. Instead of having to go into the office all the time, ohh wait the 300 gig limit still limits me to a couple big installs from home on friday and saturday nights.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
Faster speeds are always welcomed!
gate1975mlm

1 edit

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
The faster speed should also help online video to load faster.
gate1975mlm

2 edits

gate1975mlm to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
said by ihatedslr:

I've seen Comcast TV commercials in NJ that state two tiers will soon have double the speed at no additional cost.

I just heard the same thing but on the radio

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Ahhhhhh

More token downstream boosts that'll go largely unused.
how about more upload[which always can be used!]

••••••

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Its 100% True speed upgrades are coming very soon!

I was just listening to local radio station 94WIP Sports Radio here in Philly and they just had a brand new Comcast commercial talking about the new speed upgrade coming very soon!

Blast becomes 50
Extreme becomes 105

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents

Does this effect Buisiness Class?

Any word if these changes would also affect Premium and Deluxe Business class subscribers also?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

In an area where FiOS ain't available

Springfield, MA is in the Northeast but we cannot get FiOS. AT&T U-Verse is available about a 15 minute drive from our house just south of the border in Enfield, CT. Too bad Verizon couldn't sell their Western Massachusetts assets to AT&T so they could expand their U-Verse into the Springfield area.

Hopefully we'll get the better speeds as Comcast has D3 in our area and we've had it since late 2008 as we were one of the first areas to get D3.

•••••

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

I was told

At my local best buy that's what I was told when I was checking out new cable modems and got swarmed by the workers. Those speed's are dead on from what I was told, so who knows I'll believe it when I do some speed test's

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Re: I was told

Make sure you buy a D3 modem. I have a Motorola 6120 but you'll have to get the 6121 because the 6120 is discontinued. I frequently shop at the Best Buy at Holyoke Mall and they're always sold out of the 6121 modems. They always have a boatload of 5101 modems in stock but I have a gut feeling that Comcast is soon going to declare all D2 modems to be end of life soon (which means they'll no longer support them). My 6120 works good for me though although I have thoughts of getting the 6121 but the folks in the Comcast HSI forum on this site said that the 6120 and the 6121 are basically the same thing except for a few minor tweaks.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Yup same location I did, I have a Arris WBM760A and they also say it is compatible, thanks for the advice though.

sherman06810
join:2000-10-15
Danbury, CT

sherman06810

Business Tiers

If the rumor is true, will I see an increase from 22/5 to 50/5 on my business class tier?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Re: Business Tiers

It is true!

Here is the radio commercial!

You may need to turn up the volume a little

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

Re: Business Tiers

said by sherman06810:

If the rumor is true, will I see an increase from 22/5 to 50/5 on my business class tier?

said by gate1975mlm:

It is true!

Here is the radio commercial!

You may need to turn up the volume a little

FYI, Your radio commercial is an Xfinity commercial, and Xfinity residential service != Comcast Business Class service.

Comcast Business Class service speed tier changes are glacial compared to Xfinity residential speed tier changes, and since business class customers also have very restrictive contracts, any speed tier changes for individual customers is sometimes postponed until contract renewal time.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

How about upload speeds?

Blast is currently 25/4 (30/6 if you count Powerboost). According to the Comcast shop web site (at least for my area, I have channel bonding) Extreme 50 is 50/15 and 105 is 105/20.

Does this mean Blast will now be 50/15?

••••
compuwizz
join:2001-03-05
Las Vegas, NV

compuwizz

Caps

Thanks for the upgrade, however we'll just reach our caps faster ...
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

DSLR Next

DSLR and Karl will be next for posting illegal recordings of radio stations. Great job there Karl!

•••••

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

1 recommendation

graycorgi

Premium Member

When will we get DOCSIS3?

So now a good portion of Comcast can get 105mbps, over 13x the maximum speed of 8mbps available in Johnson City. Almost all of Comcast can get significantly faster speeds than our region.

Are we ever going to see upgrades out here?

Landmine
join:2009-01-05
Placerville, CA

Landmine

West Coast Love?

So when is this rolling out to the west? And when will it matter to business class?

I've emailed my Rep and I'll post answers if I get any.

Xman78
@comcast.net

Xman78

Anon

Beat the cap

Depending on how you use your internet, if like most who worry about the cap it's about netflix and things like that, comcast has a deal where any video watched through Xboxes doesn't count toward the cap, so you can watch all the netflix through 105 speed you want and be cap free.
Xman78

Xman78

Anon

Re: Beat the cap

After researching more I guess its just the xfinity tv app that is cap free via xbox, but still better than nothing.

mmm
@comcast.net

mmm

Anon

confirmation

I tried talking to a few representatives at Comcast to see if they could provide a more definitive timeline of when this increase will happen, but got shuffled around and never reached a solid answer. I'll try calling my local Comcast office tomorrow when they're open to see if they can provide any additional insight.

bryanmm29
@comcast.net

bryanmm29

Anon

comcast speeds

they were just here the other day and the worker said in 2 weeks we will be getting a speed boost so we shall see

test
@comcast.net

test

Anon

Re: comcast speeds

Which state are you in? I imagine they'd just do it for all of New England in one shot who knows.
Jerkface
join:2005-06-05
Hackettstown, NJ

Jerkface

heard this on TV

i live in NJ and heard this on a TV ad. 07/06/2012.

kjarrett
@comcast.net

kjarrett

Anon

Re: heard this on TV

said by Jerkface:

i live in NJ and heard this on a TV ad. 07/06/2012.

Same. Searching and a tip from a friend led me here. Fingers crossed that it happens soon!