spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-25 10:07:04: Following on the heels of Charter's past history of dubious modem ownership record keeping and bricking of customer modems, Charter Sunday confirmed rumors - first leaked here in the Broadband Reports forums - that they will no longer be supporting c.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Lame....

Lame and Lame....

knewman

join:2010-10-21

1 recommendation

FCC Regs?

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?

daake07

join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

As a Charter Customer I'm upset

My and family and I have been Charter customers for over 10 years now and this change is down-right awful. We have used our own modem for over the past 5 years and have not had a single issue caused by the modem. In fact the only time we did have an issue it was caused by a Ubee modem they had given us when we upgraded to 25/3 package in 2010 (never tested over 9/2, while an old Docsis 1.1 tested at 22/2.5 on an 18/2 plan).

Fortunately for me I will be turning in my Charter equipment today as my wife and I are moving out of a Charter area, but I'll be sure to give my parents my SB6121 tonight so they can try to avoid that inevitable price increase.

I was actually going to have my in-laws switch to Charter internet and cable and ditch their Dish and Centurylink combo they currently have, but without Whole House DVR I don't see that as much of an option. Sure they are lowering the cost of DVRs, but then you can only watch the program in the room you recorded it in, that isn't nearly as convenient.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

If they're not going to force you to pay the $7 fee, then what's the problem here?

How many customers are really providing their own modems in the first place?

Also I wasn't aware that any cable company provided standalone VoIP. Considering it's voice over internet protocol, doesn't that pretty much require it to have internet access in the first place?

daake07

Kearney, NE
reply to knewman

Re: FCC Regs?

That is a good thought, but I think it might only apply to cable cards and not modems. I could be wrong though.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

Cost aside, where's the issue?

If they eliminate the $7 a month rental fee, where's the real issue?

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
reply to knewman

Ya right

"best on-line experience possible" This is just like Exlax's "We want the customer to have the best experience possiable, no cramps

If I had a modem I purchased myself I would have no expectation of any customer support for it, hell I wouldn't call for customer support even if the moden was rented. You get some poor person in India getting paid chicken feed to read a script back to you.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: Cost aside, where's the issue?

implying that the base internet prices will just increase by $7 and drop it as a standalone fee

Os

US
reply to daake07

Re: As a Charter Customer I'm upset

So if you're moving out of a Charter area anyway, aren't you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

Verizon and AT&T don't let you buy equipment for FiOS and U-Verse.

Os

US
reply to talz13

Isn't it better if they actually give you something for the price increase instead of just doing it anyway?

Acting as if they wouldn't be increasing prices regardless is just naive.

milrtime83

join:2009-11-04
Katy, TX
reply to PhoenixDown
From the post: "stay tuned as you can bet the $7 modem rental fee will simply find it's way into the base price."

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

No WHDVR?

Why are they going backwards with their service? Everybody and their brother is offering a WHDVR and Charter is eliminating theirs? Doesn't make any sense at all. Even if they are going to introduce a new system, why get rid of the current one and leave people with nothing in the meantime?

daake07

Kearney, NE
reply to Os

No I'm complaining because I will likely be moving back into a Charter area within the next year, and obviously as I stated my parents still have Charter service at their home and my in laws were considering it.

How are you trying to compare FiOS and UVerse to cable internet? Besides Comcast Business class (which by the way you can now add your own modem), this is the first time I've ran across a company who would not allow you to install your own modem. Even Comcast said you would not be charged for a modem since they made you have it, oddly enough whenever I would add my own modems at their locations my bill would drop $7.

Also with UVerse you can purchase the modem for $100, which they often time will send you a rebate check for.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to knewman

said by knewman:

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?

I believe that only applies to cable TV equipment, not cable modems.

It doesn't apply to CableCARDs. The cable company doesn't have to offer it for purchase, but they have to lease them.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to knewman
No. The closest to FCC cable modem regulation is that TWC must offer competing Cable ISPs because of the AOL/TW merger years ago. The Cable ISPs for TWC are atleast Earthlink and possibly 1 other company depending on market.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to Transmaster

Re: Ya right

Chicken feed to eat, or chicken feed to feed the family chickens?

kingofdsl

join:2002-12-11
Indianapolis, IN
reply to knewman

How can this be legal???

New customers and customers that change their service as of Tuesday the 26th appear to be locked into a Charter modem.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Here's to hoping...

Cablevision in the North East doesn't charge modem fees, hell when I called up to activate my Motorola SB6180 they promptly reminded me I can just return that modem and i'll get one from in the mail overnighted for free and no montly fee. The service price also haven't changed since forever also as it's still 29.99 for the first year of internet, then after that it goes to the regular $45.95. This is how it's been for the past 5yrs or so. When I first signed up in 1998 we had to buy our own modems from Nobody Beats the Wiz - Had a 3Com Sharkfin then for my 10/1Mbps service.

Saying all that to hope Charter is thinking of doing the samething, so cross your fingers.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
reply to mogamer

Re: No WHDVR?

Agreed, their justification is ridiculous. I won't leave DirecTV simply because the WHDVR is of utmost importance to me.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to milrtime83

said by milrtime83:

From the post: "stay tuned as you can bet the $7 modem rental fee will simply find it's way into the base price."

Thats speculation at this point. No price increase was announced.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to daake07

The point is very simple. Verizon controls their network, and they can let whatever they want as a device to be accepted on it.

Charter can do the same. And Time Warner Cable has until recently, not allowed customer-owned modems in many regions.

And I'm not aware of any provider allowing you to use your own modems with internet/phone service. I know Comcast doesn't, I know my provider doesn't.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Who's to blame?

If anyone is to blame for this decision, its the users who can't properly troubleshoot their networks. I have assisted a few people who have had problems with their routers or modems, and it seems that if they have a outage situation, most people want to point at the service when its the equipment in their homes causing the problem. I am not putting the onus entirely on the user base, but it doesn't surprise me that Charter is going this route. I am just surprised that they are doing it. If there is a price increase, look out!
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Glad I'm in Comcast territory

I live in Comcast territory (Springfield, MA) but some of the surrounding towns (Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, and East Longmeadow) are in Charter turf. I have read on some of the local forums that Charter is worse than Comcast. Around here, Charter uses the Scientific Atlanta boxes, which I don't like as much as Motorola hardware. I personally have TiVo boxes for DVR, and I have few complaints about Comcast other than getting things fixed can be like pulling teeth (such as taking six different truck rolls to fix a constantly dropping Internet connection). I personally have not had Comcast miss an appointment but have had a few late techs.

Charter has been known for predatory business practices like locking customers into lengthy contracts with steep ETFs and rock bottom customer service. It got so bad that the mayor of Chicopee once said a few years ago that he'd offer Verizon a CATV franchise if they'd build FiOS in that community.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

Isn't it better if they actually give you something for the price increase instead of just doing it anyway?

Acting as if they wouldn't be increasing prices regardless is just naive.

Actually until February internet pricing has been the same for several years. Then in February it went up by $3 a month. So yes $7 price increase would be pretty dramatic.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os

Re: ....

said by Os:

If they're not going to force you to pay the $7 fee, then what's the problem here?

because those of us that went out and own modems will possibly have price increases.

how many customers are really providing their own modems in the first place?

I am to avoid the $7 fee. $7 a month is $84 a year. For that much you can buy a modem that should last say 5 or 6 years or more. That's a savings of hundreds of $$$$$. Or it WAS.

lightning10

join:2012-06-25

ugh

That explains why Charter cut a bunch of stations off the Analog cable.

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

I'll defer judgement until tomorrow

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if internet rates are going up or not. If not then fine. If they are the that's BS.

Luckily I'm locked in for another year on my pricing.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to lightning10

Re: ugh

said by lightning10:

That explains why Charter cut a bunch of stations off the Analog cable.

They cut off some analog so they can increase HD. What is the problem with that?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nightfall

Re: Who's to blame?

said by Nightfall:

If anyone is to blame for this decision, its the users who can't properly troubleshoot their networks.

I think that it is a part of the equation to be sure. A lot of folks get upset over the $7 a month rental charge, which yes, will most likely be absorbed in the general rates in the future...why list a rental charge when all future customers have a Charter-supplied modem?

However, to me (I have Comcast not Charter, but same $7 a month rent), although certainly they make a profit on the equipment rental, it is not all that great when you take into account that they are responsible for those units, including replacing defective units, and upgrading when new technologies render the previous ones obsolete (such as Docsis 3.0).

It does simplify CS issues when one has tighter control over what equipment is out in the field being used.

Comcast, which I have, is okay with your own modem as long as it appears on their approved list, but if you have internet & voice, the option to self own eMTAs is very limited, and not really worth the cost (one approved model, from one approved vendor...and only in certain markets!).

Considering the number of both DSL and cable modems that I have owned, I probably have saved little or nothing over simply "renting" their unit.

My only proviso would be if I had to use a crappy (most of them are!) wireless gateway. I want to be able to control my wireless network environment.
--
Deeds, not words

a333
A hot cup of integrals please

join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY
reply to Os

Re: ....

Cable "VoIP" != regular VoIP. Normally, VoIP runs over the public internet, hence the reason it's highly dependent on your last-mile ISP quality and the ISP's backbone routing practices... cable VoIP runs on a private network between the eMTA device on the customer side, and the head-end and cable provider's backbone. Also, as far as I know, it runs on its own dedicated channel on the neighborhood cable loop, not over the DOCSIS system (i.e. it's completely independent of having a cable internet connection).
--
Physics: Will you break the laws of physics, or will the laws of physics break you?
If physicists stand on each other's shoulders, computer scientists stand on each other's toes, and computer programmers dig each other's graves.