dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-25 10:07:04: Following on the heels of Charter's past history of dubious modem ownership record keeping and bricking of customer modems, Charter Sunday confirmed rumors - first leaked here in the Broadband Reports forums - that they will no longer be supporting c.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Lame....

Lame and Lame....

knewman
join:2010-10-21
King Of Prussia, PA

1 recommendation

knewman

FCC Regs?

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

daake07

Re: FCC Regs?

That is a good thought, but I think it might only apply to cable cards and not modems. I could be wrong though.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to knewman

to knewman

Ya right

"best on-line experience possible" This is just like Exlax's "We want the customer to have the best experience possiable, no cramps

If I had a modem I purchased myself I would have no expectation of any customer support for it, hell I wouldn't call for customer support even if the moden was rented. You get some poor person in India getting paid chicken feed to read a script back to you.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Re: Ya right

Chicken feed to eat, or chicken feed to feed the family chickens?

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster
said by Transmaster:

"best on-line experience possible"

This is corporate code for "your bill is going to increase" substantially.

Always remember, when a corporate communication states

1) We want every Charter Internet customer to have the best on-line experience possible

Equates to that you are going to pay more, for not really anything, but by doing so, you'll feel better. At least they were honest and used it in the number one slot....
manfriend
join:2010-09-06
Louisville, KY

manfriend to Transmaster

to Transmaster
I worked for Charter for years and there are no call centers in India. I worked at the one in Louisville, KY., and the overseas call centers are in Panama, Mexico City, Cainta Philippines, a couple in Canada, and maybe one in Brazil. The ones overseas are tiny. We had 2 in the Philippines but 1 was washed away in a Typhoon during a "state of calamity". The other 1 is a billing call center which I'm sure is to upset customers and force them to forget trying to get billing information since I couldn't even understand them. If anyone needs an expert witness on billing issues with Charter feel free to contact me. No one is trained on billing calls and you will get a different answer every time you call about a billing question. I worked tech support but as with all the call centers the primary directive is to get you to buy stuff you don't want and probably doesn't work. Good luck to all of you.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to knewman

to knewman

said by knewman:

Isn't there some kind of FCC regulation that specifies cable operators are required to allow customers to bring their own modems?

I believe that only applies to cable TV equipment, not cable modems.

It doesn't apply to CableCARDs. The cable company doesn't have to offer it for purchase, but they have to lease them.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

said by fifty nine:

said by knewman:

I believe that only applies to cable TV equipment, not cable modems.

It doesn't apply to CableCARDs. The cable company doesn't have to offer it for purchase, but they have to lease them.

Correction they are NOT REQUIRED to lease Cable Cards or Tuning adapters. They are required to make Cable Cards available. They may charge a nominal fee for the card (not required to) Cable companies tend to just make the (POS) Tuning Adapters free. Next year they must make cable cards TWO WAY allowing people with equipment like TiVo to watch on demand content.

Samothrake
@comcast.net

Samothrake

Anon

They already have two way cable cards.
I have had for the past two years now one of the few Tru2Way televisions - which uses a two way cable card. I rather enjoy it, but is seems that I need to contact Comcast again to get the on-demand working again.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to knewman

to knewman
No. The closest to FCC cable modem regulation is that TWC must offer competing Cable ISPs because of the AOL/TW merger years ago. The Cable ISPs for TWC are atleast Earthlink and possibly 1 other company depending on market.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

and nobody still knows the full details of that deal as nothing was released. And still in many areas you don't get a choice- especially in the markets that TWC took over from Adelphia and Comcast. You can go to Earthlink all you want to sign up and they'll tell you no service- and TWC will basically tell you the same- but why go with a 3rd party when you're limited to what speeds you're going to see.
kingofdsl
join:2002-12-11
Indianapolis, IN

kingofdsl to knewman

to knewman
How can this be legal???

New customers and customers that change their service as of Tuesday the 26th appear to be locked into a Charter modem.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Don't become a new customer and it won't be a problem
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to knewman

to knewman
they could allow you to bring your own modem- but you'll be on your own if anything happens. Meaning if they see your modem; your SOL. As it should be.

They also could tell the FCC to take a hike if they wanted to go to court; and as history shows- the FCC does not normally win in court.

knewman
join:2010-10-21
King Of Prussia, PA

knewman

that makes sense. you bring your own modem and charter will do their part by not blocking it. but if its busted then its your problem. for some reason I read this as charter will block all customer owned devices from their network.
daake07
Kearney, NE

daake07

As a Charter Customer I'm upset

My and family and I have been Charter customers for over 10 years now and this change is down-right awful. We have used our own modem for over the past 5 years and have not had a single issue caused by the modem. In fact the only time we did have an issue it was caused by a Ubee modem they had given us when we upgraded to 25/3 package in 2010 (never tested over 9/2, while an old Docsis 1.1 tested at 22/2.5 on an 18/2 plan).

Fortunately for me I will be turning in my Charter equipment today as my wife and I are moving out of a Charter area, but I'll be sure to give my parents my SB6121 tonight so they can try to avoid that inevitable price increase.

I was actually going to have my in-laws switch to Charter internet and cable and ditch their Dish and Centurylink combo they currently have, but without Whole House DVR I don't see that as much of an option. Sure they are lowering the cost of DVRs, but then you can only watch the program in the room you recorded it in, that isn't nearly as convenient.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Re: As a Charter Customer I'm upset

So if you're moving out of a Charter area anyway, aren't you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

Verizon and AT&T don't let you buy equipment for FiOS and U-Verse.
daake07
Kearney, NE

daake07

No I'm complaining because I will likely be moving back into a Charter area within the next year, and obviously as I stated my parents still have Charter service at their home and my in laws were considering it.

How are you trying to compare FiOS and UVerse to cable internet? Besides Comcast Business class (which by the way you can now add your own modem), this is the first time I've ran across a company who would not allow you to install your own modem. Even Comcast said you would not be charged for a modem since they made you have it, oddly enough whenever I would add my own modems at their locations my bill would drop $7.

Also with UVerse you can purchase the modem for $100, which they often time will send you a rebate check for.
Os
US

Os

The point is very simple. Verizon controls their network, and they can let whatever they want as a device to be accepted on it.

Charter can do the same. And Time Warner Cable has until recently, not allowed customer-owned modems in many regions.

And I'm not aware of any provider allowing you to use your own modems with internet/phone service. I know Comcast doesn't, I know my provider doesn't.

cast sucks
@dsl.net

cast sucks

Anon

said by Os:

The point is very simple. Verizon controls their network, and they can let whatever they want as a device to be accepted on it.

Charter can do the same. And Time Warner Cable has until recently, not allowed customer-owned modems in many regions.

And I'm not aware of any provider allowing you to use your own modems with internet/phone service. I know Comcast doesn't, I know my provider doesn't.

so you be ok with only being able to rent a locked down Verizon PC at a high price and having to use the Verizon app store with high prices.
Os
US

Os

I didn't say my opinion on the matter.

But the point is if Charter wants to lock down their network and only allow their equipment, there's precedent in the market that allows for it that hasn't been stopped as of yet.

I have no problem with what Charter did as long as they're not going to then force everyone to pay the $7/month. If they're going to give you the modem for free, then great. If they did that as a cash grab, then that's a different story. And that I'd have a real problem with.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Os

to Os
TWC doesn't allow you to bring your own modem for Phone/Internet either.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Os

to Os
said by Os:

suddenlink i believe does, with internet and phone..., i know theyve let us for years you our own modem, and heck you can go buy one and use it on their system u just have to call them and give them the serial and all that

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to Os

Premium Member

to Os
said by Os:

With FIOS it's often a 2 device install, the ONT and the Router. You don't NEED the router as long as you're internet only and have cat5. You need the router for the TV if you've got the on-screen schedule guide.

There is no additional charge, beyond service, for the internet/phone equipment...

I don't think I'd have a problem with Comcast requiring me to use their equipment. Though I would have a problem if they told me my service would cost $50/mo and also I had to pay a required $7 equipment fee.

I think that's the problem. You can't run a restaurant where you sell a bowl of pasta for $10 and then charge $3 for a fork while not allowing customers to bring their own fork.

trebacz
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Fountain Hills, AZ
ARRIS SB6141

trebacz to Os

Premium Member

to Os
Just jumping in on the Comcast Triple Play - with your own modem. I have a purchased modem with Comcast cable, phone, and internet -and love that I had the choice to avoid the $7 rental fee.

Did it last January and wrote the detail about it in this blog post:
»blog.trebacz.com/2012/01 ··· ris.html

edstreiff
@comcast.net

edstreiff to Os

Anon

to Os
said by Os:

I have comcast and was allowed to use my own SB 6121 Comcast residential will allow you use any modem as long as its on their approved list. Saved the $7 modem rental fee, so before you make up something about a provider you don't have you should research better

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Os

Premium Member

to Os
said by Os:

AT&T don't let you buy equipment for U-Verse.

That's not true, as long as you have a modem that has the proper credentials you can put it on the VDSL/IPDSL line and have it provisioned.

I just purchased a 3600HG unit from ebay and it will be provisioned with my self install order in 2 weeks (I set the due date that far out, that was my choice as my contract will end on regular DSL).

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by David:

said by Os:

AT&T don't let you buy equipment for U-Verse.

That's not true, as long as you have a modem that has the proper credentials you can put it on the VDSL/IPDSL line and have it provisioned.

I just purchased a 3600HG unit from ebay and it will be provisioned with my self install order in 2 weeks (I set the due date that far out, that was my choice as my contract will end on regular DSL).

Do you get charged the "high speed technology" fee with this setup?

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

I shouldn't, but I can't speak with experience as of yet, as I haven't seen the first bill.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

I might have to buy my own RG when I move so I can save more $.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

I have this modem and they don't charge any extra monthly fee for standalone Internet service like cable companies do.

If you add TV, then they don't offer you to purchase RG but rent one. I don't know how much they charge.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to Os

Premium Member

to Os
On FiOS, there is nothing stopping you from using your own routing equipment. You just can't call them for help if you need it.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by UnnDunn:

On FiOS, there is nothing stopping you from using your own routing equipment. You just can't call them for help if you need it.

Same thing with uverse..

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Os

Premium Member

to Os
said by Os:

So if you're moving out of a Charter area anyway, aren't you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

Verizon and AT&T don't let you buy equipment for FiOS and U-Verse.

FiOS does. I use my own router that can handle any of the speeds that FiOS offers. I also use TiVos instead of their DVRs.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to daake07

to daake07
said by daake07:

Sure they are lowering the cost of DVRs, but then you can only watch the program in the room you recorded it in, that isn't nearly as convenient.

Oh my what a burden. for shame that you must suffer through that.

••••
Os
US

Os

If they're not going to force you to pay the $7 fee, then what's the problem here?

How many customers are really providing their own modems in the first place?

Also I wasn't aware that any cable company provided standalone VoIP. Considering it's voice over internet protocol, doesn't that pretty much require it to have internet access in the first place?

••••••••••

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Cost aside, where's the issue?

If they eliminate the $7 a month rental fee, where's the real issue?

••••••••••••••••
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

No WHDVR?

Why are they going backwards with their service? Everybody and their brother is offering a WHDVR and Charter is eliminating theirs? Doesn't make any sense at all. Even if they are going to introduce a new system, why get rid of the current one and leave people with nothing in the meantime?
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly

Premium Member

Re: No WHDVR?

Agreed, their justification is ridiculous. I won't leave DirecTV simply because the WHDVR is of utmost importance to me.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Here's to hoping...

Cablevision in the North East doesn't charge modem fees, hell when I called up to activate my Motorola SB6180 they promptly reminded me I can just return that modem and i'll get one from in the mail overnighted for free and no montly fee. The service price also haven't changed since forever also as it's still 29.99 for the first year of internet, then after that it goes to the regular $45.95. This is how it's been for the past 5yrs or so. When I first signed up in 1998 we had to buy our own modems from Nobody Beats the Wiz - Had a 3Com Sharkfin then for my 10/1Mbps service.

Saying all that to hope Charter is thinking of doing the samething, so cross your fingers.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

Re: Here's to hoping...

said by SHoTTa35 :

Cablevision in the North East doesn't charge modem fees, hell when I called up to activate my Motorola SB6180 they promptly reminded me I can just return that modem and i'll get one from in the mail overnighted for free and no montly fee. The service price also haven't changed since forever also as it's still 29.99 for the first year of internet, then after that it goes to the regular $45.95. This is how it's been for the past 5yrs or so. When I first signed up in 1998 we had to buy our own modems from Nobody Beats the Wiz - Had a 3Com Sharkfin then for my 10/1Mbps service.

Saying all that to hope Charter is thinking of doing the samething, so cross your fingers.

charter is seeing the other cable companys get away with stuff, if you think cablevision aint lookin into caps or somthin like that you got another thing comein

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Who's to blame?

If anyone is to blame for this decision, its the users who can't properly troubleshoot their networks. I have assisted a few people who have had problems with their routers or modems, and it seems that if they have a outage situation, most people want to point at the service when its the equipment in their homes causing the problem. I am not putting the onus entirely on the user base, but it doesn't surprise me that Charter is going this route. I am just surprised that they are doing it. If there is a price increase, look out!

••••

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Glad I'm in Comcast territory

I live in Comcast territory (Springfield, MA) but some of the surrounding towns (Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, and East Longmeadow) are in Charter turf. I have read on some of the local forums that Charter is worse than Comcast. Around here, Charter uses the Scientific Atlanta boxes, which I don't like as much as Motorola hardware. I personally have TiVo boxes for DVR, and I have few complaints about Comcast other than getting things fixed can be like pulling teeth (such as taking six different truck rolls to fix a constantly dropping Internet connection). I personally have not had Comcast miss an appointment but have had a few late techs.

Charter has been known for predatory business practices like locking customers into lengthy contracts with steep ETFs and rock bottom customer service. It got so bad that the mayor of Chicopee once said a few years ago that he'd offer Verizon a CATV franchise if they'd build FiOS in that community.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Glad I'm in Comcast territory

said by IowaCowboy:

Charter has been known for predatory business practices like locking customers into lengthy contracts with steep ETFs and rock bottom customer service.

That's bullshit. Contracts are OPTIONAL and yes there is ETF if you back out of a contract like there is in ANY business. Back out of cell phone contract or DirecTv contract. See what happens. The ETF is stated VERY clearly BEFORE you sign a contract.

Comcast bashing Charter about customer service is a joke. I don't read stories about Charter employees blowing up houses or committing murder.
JTY
join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA

JTY

Re: Glad I'm in Comcast territory

When I had Charter at my previous home, I was under contract. Decided to cancel and switch to a local ISP. They waived the ETF on the cancellation, and thanked me for being a customer.
lightning10
join:2012-06-25

lightning10

ugh

That explains why Charter cut a bunch of stations off the Analog cable.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: ugh

said by lightning10:

That explains why Charter cut a bunch of stations off the Analog cable.

They cut off some analog so they can increase HD. What is the problem with that?

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

I'll defer judgement until tomorrow

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if internet rates are going up or not. If not then fine. If they are the that's BS.

Luckily I'm locked in for another year on my pricing.

••••••••••
fossilz
join:2001-03-20
Port Charlotte, FL

fossilz

Upload speed!@#

Give me more upload speed and I won't bitch
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Somewhat Makes Sense

I have a friend who owns their own modem. They live about 1.5 miles from me. Earlier this year they were told by Charter they would have to buy a DOCSIS 3 modem Charter told them their system was getting crowded and they needed DOCSIS 3 to resolve the issue.

I am on the same system and I still have a DOCSIS 2 modem. Charter has never approached me with the upgrade request.

My guess is their node was getting crowded and Charter decided to employ DOCSIS 3 to resolve the issue.

First, this scenario probably occurs frequently and it's probably a nightmare for Charter to get everyone to upgrade their modem to DOCSIS 3. While not a huge expense, I'm sure people complain about spending $50 or $75 on a new modem -- especially if they just bought a new DOCSIS 2 modem. This leads to customer service complaints and unhappy customers.

Second, since Charter has to give folks time to upgrade, they aren't in control of how fast they will resolve the problem. This could put the system's performance in jeopardy and cause more customer complaints. (They cannot just go to DOCSIS 3 if customer equipment is still on DOCSIS 2 -- or they might strand those customers with no service.)

Bottom line: I understand why Charter is doing this and if they include it in the price, fine. If they want to raise the prices and I no longer have the option, then I'm not going to be happy.

S922100Anon
@comcast.net

S922100Anon

Anon

Remember the Zoom issue with Comcast?

How would this pass muster?

»www.freepress.net/press- ··· -against

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· etition/

»www.mediaaccess.org/2010 ··· process/

yaplej
Premium Member
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

yaplej

Premium Member

Modem included in price now?

So with this change will the advertised price include the modem? Before they were able to skirt around including the modem "rental" in the advertised price because technically it was optional. You could buy your own and use that.

Now that its not an option will the modem rental price have to be included in the base advertised price of the service?

I would hope so.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Illegal by precedent

From the 1940's all the way until the 1984 divestiture (break-up), the DOJ vigorously pursued AT&T for these same practices (Bell System Property - Not For Sale).

Another example would be cable cards and cable boxes. Though it failed miserably (thanks to the cable companies efforts).

This is a money grab. Charter isn't stupid. I'm sure they have a lot of highly paid lawyers who have looked at this and said, "yep, it's illegal".
The goal is to reap as much cash as possible before the racket gets shut down and the jig is up.
Charter puts themselves in the "cat-bird-seat" by crowning themselves king of all the equipment in their geographic territory. Now, equipment manufacturers will be fawning at Charters feet trying to get that contract to be the "the one". Charter will get ridiculously low pricing on equipment. I'm sure they will be passing those savings on the consumer, right?
Maybe the DOJ should get a head start on this.

•••

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel

What a Joke

Having previously used Charter for over 10 years I see nothing wrong with this. Those idiots couldn't support their own modems, much less a customer owned one.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

are they going to refund the price of my modem for me?

Since I already purchased it, I planned on using it for quite some time, because its D3 SB6121, so, are they going to refund the price of my now useless purchased modem, and still charge me for those shitty modems they love to use? This is just a thinly veiled attempt at raising the prices. Yes, it will streamline operations, since they dont have to deal with any customer owned equipment, but at what point will it turn into "you have to use our wireless, you cant use your own"? This is a step in the wrong direction, and a rate hike without a doubt.

•••

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

What no BYOB option?

Thankfully I don't live in their area as I'm greatly opposed to being forced to us someone else's equipment. I have DSL modems I will never use again. But they are mine, I have a SurfBoard cable modem not currently in use but it's mine. Likewise I opted to NOT lease a cable/DVR. I own my TiVo w/Lifetime Sub.

It should be a customers right to OWN their own equipment BYOB!

•••
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

Charter Sucks Ass

Analog cable? Crappy customer service? Outdated DVR with NES interface and no whole home? Node crowding? Overpricing? Capped connection? And now the modem I spent $100 on is useless? Hell no, no thanks! Screw Charter I'm perfectly happy with my Dish TV (3 Hoppers, 2 Joeys!) and U-verse 24/3 (uncapped! free modem! no modem fee!)

•••
page: 1 · 2 · next