spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-26 10:38:55: The Department of Justice recently launched an investigation into whether cable operators are engaged in anti-competitive behavior against over-the-top Internet video rivals. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

Wow...

So they really are playing up the whole "Women and Minorities Hardest Hit" claim? Heh.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

microphone
Premium
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

Depends on the channel

I don't think it would be a tragedy to see Trinity Broadcast Network or Style go away; who the hell watches these?

I would be willing to pay for niche channels where the signal to noise ratio is actually decent like the Military Channel or the Science Channel.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

But What About the Jobs Killed by Anti-competitive Behavior?

Karl do you have a link to a precise scientific study showing exactly how many Jobs are Killed by Anti-competitive Behavior?
Or are you just impling your wishful speculation is better than their investigation.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

I absolute agree with Karl about the last

statement he makes but I do wonder if the A La Carte option would kill off many channels like some seem to think.

I watch a good amount of TV and watch smaller channels every now and then. I actually enjoy having a lot of options.

I am just not sure those options may be around with A La Carte. Maybe I am wrong though, I dunno. I am sure the ESPN price will be absolutely stunning with ALACarte.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Bill Neilson:

statement he makes but I do wonder if the A La Carte option would kill off many channels like some seem to think.

I watch a good amount of TV and watch smaller channels every now and then. I actually enjoy having a lot of options.

I am just not sure those options may be around with A La Carte. Maybe I am wrong though, I dunno. I am sure the ESPN price will be absolutely stunning with ALACarte.

And I should subsidize your "many options"? If you like them so much, pay for them.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Simple, offer both options

Give people the choice between choosing a buffet or a la carte? You can even do quasi a la carte by having various bundles. Like family bundles etc etc that would be cheaper than a la carte. If giving customers options was bad McDonald's would still be selling only hamburgers and Coca Cola would only be selling Coke.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pnh102

Re: Wow...

said by pnh102:

So they really are playing up the whole "Women and Minorities Hardest Hit" claim? Heh.

Sorry if it's a stereotype.. but the Cable industry seems to disproportionately employ minorities and women (particularly through 3rd party contractors) because they can pay them less. However, one really doesn't have anything (significant) to do with the cable industry's lack of innovation and evolution of their business model.

Cable TV as it stands is a stale and saturated business and past it's prime as it exists today. In 3-5 years there will be a greater demand to replace dumb HDTV's with SMART HDTVs.. and the cable-tv business model will be supplanted by on-demand multi-media business model. The cable industry will have to get a whole lot cheaper and innovative in a quick hurry or lose out to the internet and other providers of video & multimedia services.

I've had my fill of various special interest commercials from lawyers to oil companies, political ads, to widget infomercials. No longer will that occupy my time just to make the cable industry richer than a subscription. Upto 40% of every programming hour can be pushing commericals. This is unsustainable and consumers are balking in droves. Add the $7 for a set-top rental box slap in the face too! Slowly, these companies are screwing up VOIP and Internet service as well with higher rates and fees, crummy terms of service and forced bundling.

astrob0I

@rr.com

Makes no sense....

Where to start? Can it possibly be true that the least watched cable channels net 75% of advertising revenue? Are a million people engaged in some manner producing content that nobody wants to watch? Will the cable industry collapse if the endless parade of shopping channels can no longer sell gold chains and kitchen gadgets to lonely widows? Would it really be so bad if the half dozen or more phony religious channels would only reach people who actually opted in to receive them?

Conversely, would Amazon remain profitable if they required customers buying the Kindle edition of a best-seller to also buy the 2004 Yellow Pages for Spokaine or a Sanscrit translation of Winnie-the-Pooh?

I think The Kinting Channel or the School Lunch Menu and the like would be better served with a web presence and those channels that cannot survive on their own should perish or at least be supported by those that watch them, not me.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to tmc8080

I couldn't care less who gets impacted... I dropped cable TV after they insisted I pay just south of a car payment for service. No can do.
--

skuv

@rr.com
reply to tmc8080
I think you misread the article. They refer to minorities and women's TV PROGRAMMING being killed off, thus the jobs related to the channels and programming being affected.

Not jobs at Cable TV service companies.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

1 million jobs?

What a load of horse sh*t.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to microphone

Re: Depends on the channel

just because you dont watch them doesnt mean they are without viewership

thats exactly what the article is trying to say....these stations, style, science, military....there isnt enough viewship to sustain them a-la-carte. the networks and the sports would survive, and maybe a few others that have been around a while (TNT, USA), but i see most of the industry dying.

i am a fan of sci and currenttv, and i expect both would disappear.

then again, i do believe people should have more choices when it comes to cable

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

The consumer is always right!

Cable and satellite are the only industries that force things on the consumer they don't want. If I go to a supermarket I can buy only cheese - it isn't packaged with bread. If I go to McDonalds I have a choice - I can buy just a burger OR I can buy the meal. MY choice.

I never watch sports at home, so why should almost TEN DOLLARS of my satellite bill go towards supporting ESPN? Here's an idea, cable industry - Let me drop ESPN, The Golf Channel,
all the god squadders and shopping channels and I'll use the money I've saved to buy HBO! That way HBO can hire more people.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Sports - the only reason for cable

The only reason I have cable is for Football season. I pay for a whole year of service for two months of actual use. Once I can get college and NFL football over the net cable is out the door.

I'm sure the one million jobs is a number pulled out of someone's anal orifice without any actual basis in fact.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.ht ··· tor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

jvanbrecht

join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD
reply to pnh102

What kind of car are you driving.. Just south of a car payment for me would have me practically owning a station after my 5 year loan is up.. okay so maybe not quite owning.. but I do not know too many cars that are in the $150 to $250 range, which I am guessing is the avg cable bill in most houses..

My car payment is close to $800....

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

I dropped cable TV after they insisted I pay just south of a car payment for service. No can do.

I finally agree with you regarding this point.

I couldn't care less who gets impacted...

Very republican response. Just ironic that you guys want to 'borrow' and waste trillions upon trillions 'defending' the very same nation and people you 'do not care' about. Well imbecilic actually.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: I absolute agree with Karl about the last

i think a lot of shows became popular on smaller networks, because people had access to them...off the top of my head...mad men, breaking bad, jersey shore (unfortunatly), queer eye

if we had a la carte options, those might not have existed.

i am torn on the subject.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Wow...look at the buzzwords..

...e.g. Minority, jobs, destroying ENORMOUS value...

Too effin bad.

RANT-What is really killing jobs? Bad Government.

I'm for the youTube's. Do you see all the creative people out there? They are developing their own channels, they are getting the advertising and the audience! From a girl that wrote and starred in her own show, she is now becoming her own network boss... YouTube will give them a run. Meanwhile, they will raise the internet access costs... (no TV package, you pay more for just internet...oh wait, isn't that already happening with caps?)
--
Splat

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298

Well said. The ridiculous part is that with all of these so called channel choices is the amount of reruns and paid advertising they show. The industry is spreading the myth of how much it cost to create new content when they primarily show the same programs several times a day for weeks on end. They then move the same cycle to their 2nd or 3rd channels. Furthermore, it seems we get to pay for more "paid advertising slots" that can take up 30%+ of programming time on a many of these channels.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to jvanbrecht

is $150-250 an acceptable price for cable tv these days? yikes?!

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Internet TV

Just make those niche channels stream online. Cable TV should be cheaper.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to Kilroy

Re: Sports - the only reason for cable

said by Kilroy:

The only reason I have cable is for Football season. I pay for a whole year of service for two months of actual use. Once I can get college and NFL football over the net cable is out the door.

I'm sure the one million jobs is a number pulled out of someone's anal orifice without any actual basis in fact.

Only 2 months for a football season? You must be a Browns fan.

I would have said Lions fan, but they actually made the playoffs last year.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

i think a lot of shows became popular on smaller networks, because people had access to them...off the top of my head...mad men, breaking bad, jersey shore (unfortunatly), queer eye

There are very few actual small networks with slots on cable and satellite providers. The little niche channels are run by huge media outlets that don't want to step outside of the prime time box they shove down everyone's throat. With DVRs available almost universally there is no point in a live viewing schedule for most programming that isn't actually live. Stream it the night before and put a hold on it till the broadcaster wants it seen then everyone who wants to see it brings it up from the dvr.

It all just needs a little change of the ways and some coordination between those with the tech to do it and those with the content.
--
Say no to JAMS!

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Telco

said by Telco:

Very republican response. Just ironic that you guys want to 'borrow' and waste trillions upon trillions 'defending' the very same nation and people you 'do not care' about. Well imbecilic actually.

I'm sorry, but your president is an absolute complete and total failure at just about everything. When we finally recover from this protracted depression, have more people employed again, get the national debt under control (I'm even being generous by not listing other problems that this idiot caused or exacerbated), then you can lecture me about politics.

Heck, we can just start by having your failure of a president not blame Bush for everything he can't do. We'll go from there.
--

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to Nightfall

thumbs up lions fan

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to jvanbrecht

said by jvanbrecht:

My last car payment was $300 a month. My last cable bill with the TV included was $170 a month. To me, "car payment territory" is $200 a month and higher.
--

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to baineschile

Re: Depends on the channel

No, what this article is trying to say is..... "oh please oh please don't give consumers what they want because the poor cable/content providers are not smart enough to adjust their business models to stay afloat. Please think of all the minorities and children that will be negatively effected by this!".

Which is all utter BS. They make the assumption that they do not adapt and quite frankly if they dont, then they should go belly up and all their employees should move on to another job/industry. Attempting to use a scare tactic by only providing the doom and gloom side of things is silly.

ANY and EVERY good show will find a new home if the channel they are currently on goes under. DVR's make primetime, less of an actual clock time. I rarely watch shows during actual "prime time" and yet I still watch prime time shows all the time.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to jvanbrecht

said by jvanbrecht:

Man your car is more expensive than 2 of the payments on my pre-owned vehicles. I barely hit 2/3rds of that.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Opportunity Cost! Opportunity Cost!

Humans do a masterful job of not thinking about the opportunity cost of continuing practices which, if changed, might result in a net overall gain.

For example what if instead of paying $100 a month for cable TV, I could spend just $25 of that on a cattle prod so my wife could get me off my fat a**?

»www.amazon.com/Shot-Flexible-Sto ··· _cp_hi_2

Maybe another $25 would cover the cost of having a dietitian come in once a month to throw out the crappy food in the fridge and pantry, and yell at me for eating like vermin.

If that doesn't sound fun to you, you have a pretty good idea why cable providers can charge big money for a sewer line that's sloped toward your house.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

thumbs up lions fan

There is no such thing as a Lions fan. We're all Lion victims. I know the Lions used to be good, but I'm only 45 so I've never seen it.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.ht ··· tor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales