Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-26 10:38:55: The Department of Justice recently launched an investigation into whether cable operators are engaged in anti-competitive behavior against over-the-top Internet video rivals. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

skuv

@rr.com
reply to tmc8080

Re: Wow...

I think you misread the article. They refer to minorities and women's TV PROGRAMMING being killed off, thus the jobs related to the channels and programming being affected.

Not jobs at Cable TV service companies.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ooma
·Callcentric
reply to Kilroy

Re: Sports - the only reason for cable

said by Kilroy:

The only reason I have cable is for Football season. I pay for a whole year of service for two months of actual use. Once I can get college and NFL football over the net cable is out the door.

I'm sure the one million jobs is a number pulled out of someone's anal orifice without any actual basis in fact.

Only 2 months for a football season? You must be a Browns fan.

I would have said Lions fan, but they actually made the playoffs last year.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to baineschile

Re: I absolute agree with Karl about the last

said by baineschile:

i think a lot of shows became popular on smaller networks, because people had access to them...off the top of my head...mad men, breaking bad, jersey shore (unfortunatly), queer eye

There are very few actual small networks with slots on cable and satellite providers. The little niche channels are run by huge media outlets that don't want to step outside of the prime time box they shove down everyone's throat. With DVRs available almost universally there is no point in a live viewing schedule for most programming that isn't actually live. Stream it the night before and put a hold on it till the broadcaster wants it seen then everyone who wants to see it brings it up from the dvr.

It all just needs a little change of the ways and some coordination between those with the tech to do it and those with the content.
--
Say no to JAMS!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Telco

said by Telco:

Very republican response. Just ironic that you guys want to 'borrow' and waste trillions upon trillions 'defending' the very same nation and people you 'do not care' about. Well imbecilic actually.

I'm sorry, but your president is an absolute complete and total failure at just about everything. When we finally recover from this protracted depression, have more people employed again, get the national debt under control (I'm even being generous by not listing other problems that this idiot caused or exacerbated), then you can lecture me about politics.

Heck, we can just start by having your failure of a president not blame Bush for everything he can't do. We'll go from there.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to Nightfall

thumbs up lions fan

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to jvanbrecht

said by jvanbrecht:

My car payment is close to $800....

My last car payment was $300 a month. My last cable bill with the TV included was $170 a month. To me, "car payment territory" is $200 a month and higher.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to baineschile

Re: Depends on the channel

No, what this article is trying to say is..... "oh please oh please don't give consumers what they want because the poor cable/content providers are not smart enough to adjust their business models to stay afloat. Please think of all the minorities and children that will be negatively effected by this!".

Which is all utter BS. They make the assumption that they do not adapt and quite frankly if they dont, then they should go belly up and all their employees should move on to another job/industry. Attempting to use a scare tactic by only providing the doom and gloom side of things is silly.

ANY and EVERY good show will find a new home if the channel they are currently on goes under. DVR's make primetime, less of an actual clock time. I rarely watch shows during actual "prime time" and yet I still watch prime time shows all the time.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to jvanbrecht

said by jvanbrecht:

My car payment is close to $800....

Man your car is more expensive than 2 of the payments on my pre-owned vehicles. I barely hit 2/3rds of that.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Opportunity Cost! Opportunity Cost!

Humans do a masterful job of not thinking about the opportunity cost of continuing practices which, if changed, might result in a net overall gain.

For example what if instead of paying $100 a month for cable TV, I could spend just $25 of that on a cattle prod so my wife could get me off my fat a**?

»www.amazon.com/Shot-Flex ··· _cp_hi_2

Maybe another $25 would cover the cost of having a dietitian come in once a month to throw out the crappy food in the fridge and pantry, and yell at me for eating like vermin.

If that doesn't sound fun to you, you have a pretty good idea why cable providers can charge big money for a sewer line that's sloped toward your house.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

thumbs up lions fan

There is no such thing as a Lions fan. We're all Lion victims. I know the Lions used to be good, but I'm only 45 so I've never seen it.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestr ··· tor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Analysts Might Be Right

If Karl and his gang got their way, that is, ala carte consolidates distribution to the internet, removing the Cable Guy from the equation, allows consumers to pay less, without offsetting increases in bandwidth charges to the MSO or ISP, then indeed, the pie is shrinking - and so too will go the jobs.

But ala carte isn't going to happen that way.
It will only occur where content owners see greater profits going direct to the consumers, and where distribution networks, MSOs and ISPs can find a way to participate or facilitate that growth.

None of today's players are looking to start a race-to-the-bottom.
They learned their lesson from Apple, and then taught Google a thing or two. Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster and Redbox will be serving up the crumbs, not the cream.

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

1 recommendation

Who cares?

I pay for cable because I want to watch TV, not to provide people with jobs.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

I'm sorry, but your president is an absolute complete and total failure at just about everything. When we finally recover from this protracted depression, have more people employed again, get the national debt under control (I'm even being generous by not listing other problems that this idiot caused or exacerbated), then you can lecture me about politics.

I'd buy that he's a failure if the Republican Congress didn't impede everything he tried to do. When those SOB's in Congress hold up unemployment benefits so the wealthy can have tax cuts, something is terribly, terribly wrong with the moral compass on conservatives.

All I hear is bitching about the debt, but no one bitched when the majority of the debt was run up under Republicans.

Finally, lest we forget what flavor the president was when the bubble was inflating? The economy was destroyed on your team's watch and you have the nerve to bitch that it isn't being fixed quickly enough all the while conservatives stand in the way?

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
reply to steven s

Re: Who cares?

said by steven s:

I pay for cable because I want to watch TV, not to provide people with jobs.

+1

I could care less about the specialty stations, what I watch are the shows. Here in Canada we have so many niche specialty channels that the media conglomerates have to spread the content pretty thin just to get one or two marquee shows per channel and fill the day with programming. They used to show old "CSI NY" episodes and now they have "Swamp People" on the History Channel. Never mind if you love or hate those shows, cut the number of channels by a third or half and keep the History Channel about history from at least a generation ago, not two years ago.

I fear with a la carte they'll do even more of the above since customers won't be forced to take specialty channels in a bundle; they'll move the popular shows around to keep channels alive.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to baineschile

Re: Depends on the channel

Why would Current disappear? It's not owned by any other conglomerate, so it's not packaged the way the rest of these channels are. They're pretty much on their own, which is part of the problem for them.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

"Cost Jobs" is right up there with "Think of the

... in terms of being abused for propaganda purposes to try and push an agenda.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to desarollo

Just think if the media didnt drive you guys so far apart, you might be able to work together and make the whole world a better place.

Of course unity is not what politicians want, because then we might actually do something about the fact they work against us.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to tshirt

Re: But What About the Jobs Killed by Anti-competitive Behavior?

That's not an investigation. It's a propaganda piece that is, as you say, speculation.

whattacrock

@qwest.net
reply to pnh102

"...destroying enormous value for the highly diverse U.S. population and especially the smallest minority groups"

That is a joke -- the networks that people do not choose, will simply have to go away and make another way to get to the masses. For example, Reading Rainbow was erased by budget cuts to PBS, but they have remade themselves with an iPad app.

The customer doesn't need to be paying for networks that they aren't watching. The way I see it, is that most of the content these days on your 500 channels is re-runs or reality, which you can only watch so many times. These new networks and shows that are funded, are usually pretty crappy, and I don't want to pay for them anymore, which is one reason I dropped cable 10 years ago or so.

It's almost like tv networks are ran by politicians, with the attitude to bail out or keep producing crap content that the majority of folks don't really want to keep seeing. When TV finally goes ala carte, then all the non-essential networks will fall away and become streaming sites or Youtube channels...where they belong anyways.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

When we finally recover from this protracted depression, have more people employed again, get the national debt under control

You'd have to get rid of the vast majority of Republicans for these things ever to happen.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

cable-tv what is it good for?

polarizing the country with propaganda?
not with my $

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to qworster

Re: The consumer is always right!

said by qworster:

Cable and satellite are the only industries that force things on the consumer they don't want.

Not exactly, but some of the most visible to be sure. Telecommunications in general is like this.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

If all this variety is so good for us....

....then why is there hardly ever anything on?

How many cable channels are really airing anything of consequence?

Look at the lineups of most of even the major cable channels. TBS, TNT, USA all pride themselves on reruns of popular dramas and comedies. Outside of their original block some nights, FX is the same.

Most of the content on the Discovery networks is just shared among the channels. The stuff that runs on TLC runs on OWN, Destination America and ID, for example. The same examples exist all over, the episodes of Family Guy on TBS and Cartoon Network.

And that doesn't even touch all the movies. Almost every cable channel runs the same movies over and over again, all edited to hell and back. Watching an edited movie is like nails on a chalkboard.

If it wasn't for sports, I could very easily live without the rest. FX and AMC air pretty much the only original content worth watching outside of the premium networks.

All getting rid of these specialty networks would do is mean the content is further consolidated and there would be less reruns. It's not like they're spending the money to have original content for every channel as is.

Papageno

Portland, OR

Cry me a river

Why should I have to pay for the F'ing Home and Garden channel or the ESPNs or MTV/VH1 when I have zero interest in them, just so I can get Comedy Central, TNT, FX, AMC, USA, and so on? In the immortal words of Bender, "they can kiss my shiny metal a**."
As someone pointed out, the History Channel used to actually show some good stuff, and now it's all filled with crap like "Nostradamus' phophecies" and "Ghost Hunters" and such "reality show" hooha. Yechh.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to KrK

Re: "Cost Jobs" is right up there with "Think of

2012: 'Jobs' a synonym for 'corporate interests'

If a la carte loses jobs, then what about cable cutters?

No one wants to watch TV any more because in addition to the monthly fee, you are forced to watch a million advertisements.

Yes, you pay to watch advertisements.

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

Does it matter?

Half the stuff I bother to watch anymore are downloaded by my DVR via RSS feeds. At the same time OTA is now in HD with lots of untapped room to broadcast more content than ever.

Yet the cable monopolies continue full steam ahead with absurd rate hikes.

DOJ just sit back and enjoy the show... it won't even matter before too long.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

is $150-250 an acceptable price for cable tv these days? yikes?!

No, not at all. The average pay TV bill is now $86.

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· nth_.php

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to HaloFans

Re: "Cost Jobs" is right up there with "Think of

Yeah, whenever they start talking about how many jobs will be lost or saved, it's always some Corporate agenda that's being pushed. *Always*.
--

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

My last car payment was $300 a month. My last cable bill with the TV included was $170 a month. To me, "car payment territory" is $200 a month and higher.

You were paying $170 just for pay TV? My goodness, what TV service did you have?

No to ESPN

@sbcglobal.net

Sports Mafia Would Suffer

If cable went A La Carte then quite a bit of the revenue could disappear from the sports mafia. Who do you think are paying these people millions of dollars a year contracts?