dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-26 10:38:55: The Department of Justice recently launched an investigation into whether cable operators are engaged in anti-competitive behavior against over-the-top Internet video rivals. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

If the crap channels

Died out, operators could ease up on the compression rates on decent channels with bandwidth made available from the death of those channels.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to NickD

MVM

to NickD

Re: Sports - the only reason for cable

said by NickD:

NFL Sunday Ticket is available online, and ESPN3 is available if your cable company subscribes to it, which means you can watch that even without a TV subscription.

NFL Sunday Ticket still has blackouts. ESPN3 is nice for niche sports though as I have used them to watch the college hockey NCAA tournament. When it comes to the televised sports though, they don't hold a candle to what you can watch on TV.
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

sparks to dvd536

to dvd536

Re: If the crap channels

Well I think it BS that someone watching amc or the history channel has a sports fee added to their cost.

I remember a long time ago comcast big shot saying oh if the people watching sports had to pay for it they couldn't afford it...LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF.

so everyone pays some dipshit $50 million a year to run a football
and the morons don't have a clue the gov is stealing us blind and says I got his jersey off that their intranet for only $50 bucks.

DUH and we wonder why we are 64th in the world in literacy ?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: I absolute agree with Karl about the last

said by 88615298:

said by Bill Neilson:

statement he makes but I do wonder if the A La Carte option would kill off many channels like some seem to think.

I watch a good amount of TV and watch smaller channels every now and then. I actually enjoy having a lot of options.

I am just not sure those options may be around with A La Carte. Maybe I am wrong though, I dunno. I am sure the ESPN price will be absolutely stunning with ALACarte.

And I should subsidize your "many options"? If you like them so much, pay for them.

I do. I fail to see your point.

DM0407
@comcastbusiness.net

DM0407 to sparks

Anon

to sparks

Re: If the crap channels

said by sparks:

so everyone pays some dipshit $50 million a year to run a football
and the morons don't have a clue the gov is stealing us blind and says I got his jersey off that their intranet for only $50 bucks.

DUH and we wonder why we are 64th in the world in literacy ?

The irony in that last statement is thick as molasses.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Wow...

said by pnh102:

I'm sorry, but your president is an absolute complete and total failure at just about everything.

You mean our President? He is the President of the ENTIRE United States. Unless you want to go down the path of secession again, since THAT worked out so well the last time...
Fronkman

Fronkman to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

I'm sorry, but your president is an absolute complete and total failure at just about everything.

You mean our President?

He is the President of the ENTIRE United States. Unless you want to go down the path of secession again, since THAT worked out so well the last time...
Fronkman

Fronkman to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
said by michieru:

You should considering that right now Comcast pays for the groceries for these families. If they were to lose the jobs that you don't care about then it will come out of welfare.

I absolutely DETEST this kind of logic. Comcast doesn't buy people groceries! Those people go to WORK everyday and Comcast compensates them for their time and effort. If these people didn't show up to work, Comcast would have nothing to sell. Your phrasing makes it sound like the salaries are just some sort of charity for useless people.

This is in the same vein as calling rich people "job creators" instead of just "rich people." Do you know what creates jobs? Not CEOs, DEMAND creates jobs.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

So they really are playing up the whole "Women and Minorities Hardest Hit" claim? Heh.

It is a MINORITIES claim they are playing up....not women. I am a woman and I watch broadcast HD channels via clearqam and NO OTHER CHANNELS. I have zero interest in the ton of mostly trashy channels that my cable company forces on me. I want ala carte so I can order broadcast channels only. I live where cable or satellite is required to view TV channels including broadcast ones. I am forced to pay for a bunch of channels that I never watch and my tastes are NOT for niche channels at all. I like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Public TV channels and that is it.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I have zero interest in the ton of mostly trashy channels that my cable company forces on me. I want ala carte so I can order broadcast channels only. I live where cable or satellite is required to view TV channels including broadcast ones. I am forced to pay for a bunch of channels that I never watch and my tastes are NOT for niche channels at all. I like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Public TV channels and that is it.

Tell your apartment manager/owner/whoever you only want Basic. They're the ones who signed a contract and make you pay for Standard cable. Since it's included as part of your rent, they even made you pay it when you didn't have a TV...

If you COULD deal directly with TWC on this, they'd sell and provide you with Basic which would pretty much give you the "ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Public TV channels" and not much else.

Channel Line···R3_0.pdf
579569 bytes

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

Niche channels are already destroying themselves...

...voluntarily, with no help needed from a la carte. Consider:

Sci-Fi Channel -> SyFy, shows wrestling
Music Television -> MTV, shows "reality" trash
Discovery Channel -> too awful to discuss
BBC America -> Shows U.S.-made programs
The Nashville Network -> TNN, shows ST:TNG (just like BBCA)
Bravo -> Was arts, now "reality" trash

TNN changed to something else later, I forget what. Anyway, you get the point: All these channels, and many more, started out "niche", and moved towards the lowest common denominator. How much real niche programming is even left?

SouthWestSun
@osogrande.com

SouthWestSun

Anon

Analysis protect big businesses

It depends a lot on how A-La-Carte is going to be done. If it's restaurant-like then channels such as PBS or Retro they're going to be sold for pennies. That way that users would pick them anyway just to have a bigger lineup.

Big channels like ESPN or SPEED will probably suffer more because people uninterested in sports are going to ditch them meaning big savings.

I think this analysis is really trying to protect big networks.

Aren't they the ones getting the biggest chunks out of the pie anyway?

Eggman
@myvzw.com

Eggman to Kilroy

Anon

to Kilroy

Re: Sports - the only reason for cable

Actually, it's a Needham & Company report that made the '1 million jobs' claim. Here's a link discussing the article: »Analysts: A La Carte Would Kill 1 Million Jobs [103] comments.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4