dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-26 14:45:14: Cablevision today announced that the company has released a new app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch customers that makes it easier for them to find and access Cablevision's growing number of Wi-Fi hotspots. ..

mjmellin
join:2005-06-24
Englishtown, NJ

3 recommendations

mjmellin

Always apple!!!

Hello Android owns more marketshare and is a better device. How about some Android love?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Priorities?

Heres an idea Cablevision, why dont you update your 1990's TV software.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

...and in some cases FiOS actually reduced prices...

The now-$100 150/65 tier comes to mind. It now far outclasses CV's 101/15, $100 tier.

Boost+ is, if I remember correctly, less expensive than Verizon's 50/25 tier, though not by a whole lot, and 15/2 is cheaper than VZ's 15/5, so there isn't a ton to worry about on the low end of the speed spectrum there. However my guess is that CV's most lucrative customers once again have a good reason to leave for FiOS: 75/35 and 150/65 tiers outclass what's available on CV.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to mjmellin

Premium Member

to mjmellin

Re: Always apple!!!

No soup for you.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: ...and in some cases FiOS actually reduced prices...

The ability to connect outside the home is a killer feature, a few more bits/second do not trump this feature.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Good for Comcast, TWC, Cox customers too

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· i_Fi.php

renewed Wi-Fi marketing push comes after the company last month teamed up with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications and Bright House Networks to let each other's high-speed Internet customers access their respective Wi-Fi networks. That initiative, dubbed CableWiFi, provides the subscribers of participating MSOs reciprocal access to more than 50,000 Wi-Fi hotspots across the U.S.

The shared Cablevision hotspots also benefit other cable companies. I wonder if app will find the shared ones too?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: ...and in some cases FiOS actually reduced prices...

said by iansltx:

The now-$100 150/65 tier comes to mind. It now far outclasses CV's 101/15, $100 tier.

Boost+ is, if I remember correctly, less expensive than Verizon's 50/25 tier, though not by a whole lot, and 15/2 is cheaper than VZ's 15/5, so there isn't a ton to worry about on the low end of the speed spectrum there. However my guess is that CV's most lucrative customers once again have a good reason to leave for FiOS: 75/35 and 150/65 tiers outclass what's available on CV.

The standalone prices w/ Cablevision are lower, the higher speed tiers are not worth the higher prices. Verizon is higher because they force bundling to get ANY discount and by bundling they mean 3 service.. not 2!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to AVD

to AVD
The ability to connect outside the home is useful in this case if:

1. You're getting subpar performance from your wireless carrier of choice, or
2. You can't figure out how to tether your wireless provider to your device of choice, or
3. You're having to restrict data usage due to data transfer caps on your wireless provider, or could downgrade your data package and save money by using WiFi.

I've never been in CV-land so I can't say whether OptimumWiFi is good enough that I could drop data plans that I have now...and good enough that I'd forego the additional bits per second on the upload channel that FiOS would offer if I was comparing them with CV. CV's WiFi deployment is the only one I know of that actually has anything close to a territory-wide footprint, and obviously it is ammunition against FiOS (though I wonder how much money CV would make, incrementally, if they opened up the network for a fee to non-cable customers).
iansltx

iansltx to tmc8080

to tmc8080
One person's "not worth" is another person's "totally" worth, says the person who pays more for his internet at the moment than 101/15 on CV costs.

slow_move
@optonline.net

slow_move

Anon

It works

I use a wifi hotspot today. It was great.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac

Premium Member

2 reasons I left VZ Fios
1) Price...... CV gave us A GREAT deal albeit nothing compares to Fios speed

2) WIFI again not as fast LTE but I can get my shit done

celicynd
join:2005-05-24
Union City, NJ

celicynd

Optimum WiFi

I wish I could use Optimum WiFi, but any time I've connected with my iPhone, either it just doesn't work (despite having good signal), or it's so slow, I'd just use 3G instead.