dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-27 09:38:06: Netflix, who once thought bandwidth caps were no big deal, not too long ago finally realized that they can indeed be used anti-competitively to put services that compete with an ISPs content at a competitive disadvantage. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

idea !

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not...

I dont stream video, when caps are outlawed, Im not looking forward to massive internet prices. Its caps , or overall price hikes by the IPS's.

Alex J
@apexcovantage.com

Alex J

Anon

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not..

You mean like this one? »www.cbsnews.com/8301-501 ··· connect/
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not...

I dont stream video, when caps are outlawed, Im not looking forward to massive internet prices. Its caps , or overall price hikes by the IPS's.

well many users dont need the speed i use to have charter 100 meg and still would if not for caps i prefer 20 meg uncapped over 100 meg with 500 gig cap heck id take 10 meg uncapped over capped anyday

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Alex J

to Alex J
Ummm, no, not what I meant.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt

Premium Member

SO Netflix* wants...

the cost of delivering their service shifted to the customers of various ISP's**, even if many of the ISP's customers are not Netflix customers, and that is somehow pro-consumer?
I don't think so, let netflix and it's customers (of which I am one.) pay for their own costs.

*a for profit corporation
** MAY be a for profit corporation, or a not for profit consumer owned muni or co-op.
Penny3000
join:2003-11-24
Oak Ridge, TN

Penny3000 to Alex J

to Alex J

Re: idea !

Is it even possible to build a third internet service tier encompassing the whole united states. Basically FIOS to every home instead of copper. Just asking to see what others think. I am tired of the duopoly and wish something could be done.

Alex J
@apexcovantage.com

Alex J to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
Oh, you must mean that you'd like Netflix to somehow magically create a multi-billion-dollar last-mile network and bypass the locked down anti-competitive incumbent landscape where giant ISPs literally write the laws and control the government on both the state and federal levels? Yes, that should be easy for them.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to Penny3000

Premium Member

to Penny3000
said by Penny3000:

Is it even possible to build a third internet service tier encompassing the whole united states. Basically FIOS to every home instead of copper. Just asking to see what others think. I am tired of the duopoly and wish something could be done.

Is it possible? Yes. If the government would be willing to lay fiber throughout the United States, and then lease that fiber to different ISPs, I think it would work. Problem? Our government.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Penny3000

to Penny3000
Do you have like a Trillion dollars?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

2 recommendations

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's about protecting legacy systems

IF you think the MPAA/RIAA were bad, ISP's that are also TV network owners and TV distribution owners are worse.

They want eyeballs on their properties and F*K everyone else. It's really bad in Canada, we're lucky to have 3rd parties riding on the last mile,that gets us around incumbents, but it's not an easy ride.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

3 recommendations

tshirt to Alex J

Premium Member

to Alex J

Sounds like the history of the cable industry fighting existing "free TV"(really TV ad companies and local gov't seeking control)... And yes, they made the INVESTMENT, and now reap the profits.
I guess your grandparents should have planned ahead and built a muni network instead of letting someone else do it.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Yes, Im so tired of the free-ride mentality, in every respect, by these ridiculous headlines, day in, and day out.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Netflix Wants Goverment Help To Prop Up Its Business Model

Yay, another bailout from consumers... we should all subsidize Netflix.

How about Netflix charges enough money to pay for peering at the rate they actually use, and then their customers pay for their usage, and not everyone else?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

Problem? Our government.

The very same Government that Netflix is now whining to!

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Hey Comcast, why don't you open your last-mile of cable infrastructure (that consumers PAID for with franchise agreements and fees) to competitors? Thought not ...

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Very Long Wait...

(Netflix humor...users will understand)

Oh, did you read that Microsoft will be subsidizing next-generation of Xbox (720) as a STB. Who will be the sub, but the cable companies!

Netflix, along with YouTube and other content providers NOT under ownership/partnership/deals with telco/cable companies actually face a threat of anti-competition and even collusion.

BTW, Motorola has to be sweating it, I mean, all those STB/DVRs eventually going away...
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

1 recommendation

yabos to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Sure, stop blowing it on meddling in foreign countries. You could have had your national broadband network already.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to newview

to newview
Pretty sure franchise fee's goes to the towns/cities as revenue. Next argument please.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: SO Netflix* wants...

We already do. It's called the monthly internet subscription. Netflix pays big bucks to connect their servers to the internet. The customer pays their money to have an internet connection.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to tshirt

to tshirt

No, they were granted monopolies by government. Strings are attached

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: Very Long Wait...

said by cableties:

BTW, Motorola has to be sweating it, I mean, all those STB/DVRs eventually going away...

Uh, Motorola is history, Google bought them and is shutting down STB business
Wilsdom

Wilsdom to yabos

to yabos

Actually the government has put in a lot of money to build the internet backbone. It's just that profits must always be privatized, just like with the military industry.

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
Telecom TV vs. Cable TV, Vs. Satellite TV, (in some areas companies like RCN compete as well) is NO MONOPOLY. And all have invested into their own delivery network. So let Netflix cry a river.
Wilsdom

Wilsdom to tshirt

to tshirt

ISPs connecting to Netflix are making a shitload of profit. Netflix even brings them more customers to make a double-shitload. The only problematic cost is storing all of that shit.

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

1 recommendation

Dezbend to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 is right, we should have a Netflix internet, a Facebook interent, a youtube internet, a DSL Reports interent, etc.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to yabos

Premium Member

to yabos

Your subscription covers the connection plus X bandwidth, if you need more you should pay for it and consider it part of the cost of netflix or whatever else you are using it for.
Netflix now* pays for additional inbound ports to major ISP's just as other CDN's have done, but they pay nothing for the additional bandwidth cost to the ISP so the ISP must setup a tiered billing system.
Now Netflix wants the gov't to force the ISP's to do it for nothing, which would force the ISP's to recover the cost from customers in other parts of their businesses, mostly CATV and telephone.
Why should a CATV customer have to pay for you to get netflix? or a VoIP customer have a netflix costs fee added?

*after an extended arguement

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: Netflix Wants Goverment Help To Prop Up Its Business Model

Netflix needs to STFU as this is a complaint from the consumer's side and not Netflix's side. It's not caps they are worried about, it's their bottom line. ISP have run into a problem where there is increased demand on their networks which means increased spending to maintain and expand their networks. The problem is that the market won't really allow for the increased revenue to cover these costs. So they found a way around it and the ones that created the initial demand are now crying foul.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Dezbend

to Dezbend

I dont see Facebook, Youtube, or DSLreports seeking government intervention regarding data caps. Wonder why.

If they want big pipes, letm build big pipes. If not, get out of the video business.

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

1 recommendation

Dezbend

MVM

oh, I must have misunderstood what you were asking for, I thought you want Netflix to be a separate pipe into my house... so I would pay for TV, Internet, and Netflix connections.

You simply want Netflix to increase my ISPs bandwidth for them.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

NO, you would pay for NETFLIX services. As Im sure they would sell Internet, possibly phone, over their network, as well as their TV services ! Awesome !
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next