spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-27 09:38:06: Netflix, who once thought bandwidth caps were no big deal, not too long ago finally realized that they can indeed be used anti-competitively to put services that compete with an ISPs content at a competitive disadvantage. ..

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

1 recommendation

idea !

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not...

I dont stream video, when caps are outlawed, Im not looking forward to massive internet prices. Its caps , or overall price hikes by the IPS's.

Alex J

@apexcovantage.com

Re: idea !

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not..

You mean like this one? »www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-···connect/

ITALIAN926

Ummm, no, not what I meant.

Alex J

@apexcovantage.com

Oh, you must mean that you'd like Netflix to somehow magically create a multi-billion-dollar last-mile network and bypass the locked down anti-competitive incumbent landscape where giant ISPs literally write the laws and control the government on both the state and federal levels? Yes, that should be easy for them.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

3 recommendations

Sounds like the history of the cable industry fighting existing "free TV"(really TV ad companies and local gov't seeking control)... And yes, they made the INVESTMENT, and now reap the profits.
I guess your grandparents should have planned ahead and built a muni network instead of letting someone else do it.

ITALIAN926

Yes, Im so tired of the free-ride mentality, in every respect, by these ridiculous headlines, day in, and day out.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by ITALIAN926:

Yes, Im so tired of the free-ride mentality, in every respect, by these ridiculous headlines, day in, and day out.

There is no free ride. Customers have paid to deliver the bits to them. Customers go to Netflix not the other way around.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Actually netflix comes to me- They like to send me email to an address that was NEVER registered to them.
Expand your moderator at work
iwinrar

join:2010-03-18

Funny, I have been a Netflix customer and no longer at least for now when I am not getting use out of it due to a more busy schedule in the summer and have yet to get anything in the mail. Email sure, like once a month.
Jaghar

join:2001-01-30
Painesville, OH
What freakin' free ride?

I pay my provider. Netflix pays their provider.
--
We will always be much more human than we wish to be.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
The free ride is Cox taking channel bandwidth that subscribers are paying for and putting too much toward their own overpriced VOD services instead of dedicating it to HSI as they should.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by skeechan:

The free ride is Cox...

IF you pay COX more for the limited bandwidth THEY have to sell/rent, THEY will happily apply it to whatever YOU want, as long as it brings in the most money to THEM.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

See, they offer their own VOD services unlimited bandwidth in their spectrum while capping competitors. I'm sure if I watch 300GB of VOD streaming, whether free or pay VOD, they aren't going to be sending me a nastygram. But if I watch the same content from their competitor they'll bitch.

If it is truly a capacity problem, they should be limiting VOD usage. But they don't, so they're full of crap.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Comcast uses some of their bandwidth for other services, like telephone, home security, etc.
those services use seperate channels.
It is also possible to use bandwidth via the HSI channels to discrete devices like an xbox which can be identified by certain information it returns. this allows it to be used as a settop box for on demand video they may further allow computer s, etc. to uses video in a similar manner within their private network.
nothing wrong with that.
It is their private network, you only pay for limited internet access through it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

So I don't want to hear about how they have a "capacity issue". They simply don't. They should just admit they want to abuse their market position to offer their own services unlimited use by limiting access of their competitors.

As a triple play customer, I'm paying for all of it...they're just not letting me use all the bandwidth I'm paying for. They're redirecting it toward their own services.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Ok, discontinue service find another provider that fits YOUR needs.
It is possible everywhere, however the cost of custom service is incredibly expensive in some locations.
good luck to you
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by ITALIAN926:

its these comments that show how unaware of how things work the ISP lovers are.

I pay comcast to provide me internet. Netflix pays people like Level3 and such to provide them with bandwidth. Nobody is getting free bandwidth.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by ITALIAN926:

Yes, we shouldn't have bailed out the banks or auto industry. Also, we shouldn't have helped subsidize the cable-cos that are reaping in the monopoly power today.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Can you clarify exactly which cable-co's were subsidized?
Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
No, they were granted monopolies by government. Strings are attached

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

Telecom TV vs. Cable TV, Vs. Satellite TV, (in some areas companies like RCN compete as well) is NO MONOPOLY. And all have invested into their own delivery network. So let Netflix cry a river.

Toledo, OH

totally agree!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Wilsdom:

No, they were granted monopolies by government. Strings are attached

That was the end result, but initially in place like new york city cable only got started after an extensive petitioning process by the CATV companies, fought tooth and nail by television stations, advertisers and politicians trying to protect the existing industries.
the cost of startup besides the physical plant was huge RoW and franchise fees as well is payment/establishment of public access TV production facilities (citizen and gov't run channels, not PBS) and forced to cover all areas (even areas likely to be very unprofitable for many years*) of a franchise with rollout timetables in return for exclusivity in some places. not really monopolies as broadcast still existed and even large cities ended up with dozens of cable companies serving differnt areas, but in a high cash flow- high expense business consolidation started very quickly.
as today, margins a thin enough that very few high density areas can sustain multiple overlapping cable plants

* The many years is over, most areas have reached saturation between various competing services. New Customers must be won from competitors, or by new product types. and unprofitable areas now can raise prices to repay the years of investment.

Toledo, OH
You must not have heard of WholesaleISP.com they can become a DSL provider over night across the country.
Penny3000

join:2003-11-24
Oak Ridge, TN
Is it even possible to build a third internet service tier encompassing the whole united states. Basically FIOS to every home instead of copper. Just asking to see what others think. I am tired of the duopoly and wish something could be done.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Penny3000:

Is it even possible to build a third internet service tier encompassing the whole united states. Basically FIOS to every home instead of copper. Just asking to see what others think. I am tired of the duopoly and wish something could be done.

Is it possible? Yes. If the government would be willing to lay fiber throughout the United States, and then lease that fiber to different ISPs, I think it would work. Problem? Our government.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Problem? Our government.

The very same Government that Netflix is now whining to!
--
Really?
utahluge

join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

1 recommendation

This has been more-or-less going on already in Utah. The ISP's compete with each other over fiber lines they do not own. The problem, the local ISP's that have been around for a long time are fighting BIG TIME in any way they can to stop it. They could have used all that money to make their network better but instead try to stop competition. Sad.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

And the minute that the government tries to do this, the cable/teleco ISPs will cry "unfair competition" and lobby to kill the project. Even if the "unfair competition" is in areas that the cable/teleco ISPs don't serve but might possibly serve someday in the future... maybe. See Municipal Broadband.
--
-Jason Levine

ITALIAN926

Do you have like a Trillion dollars?

••••
zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by ITALIAN926:

Hey Netflix, why dont you build a network to provide video services? Thought not...

I dont stream video, when caps are outlawed, Im not looking forward to massive internet prices. Its caps , or overall price hikes by the IPS's.

well many users dont need the speed i use to have charter 100 meg and still would if not for caps i prefer 20 meg uncapped over 100 meg with 500 gig cap heck id take 10 meg uncapped over capped anyday

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
said by ITALIAN926:

Hey Comcast, why don't you open your last-mile of cable infrastructure (that consumers PAID for with franchise agreements and fees) to competitors? Thought not ...

ITALIAN926

Pretty sure franchise fee's goes to the towns/cities as revenue. Next argument please.

jslik
That just happened
Premium
join:2006-03-17

1 recommendation

said by newview:

Hey Comcast, why don't you open your last-mile of cable infrastructure (that consumers PAID for with franchise agreements and fees) to competitors? Thought not ...

The franchise agreement is nothing but a land lease (rental). The franchise fees are rent payments, if you will. It was never a payment on the network investment.

The way forward (in my opinion) is to let those local/regional governments (if they so choose via the voters) build the last-mile infrastructure and let anyone who wants to provide service via that network. It would be similar to the road in front of your home; the government (most likely) put it there, but it is up to you and other private parties to run the "vehicles" on it.
--
If they told you wolverines make good house pets, would you believe them?

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 is right, we should have a Netflix internet, a Facebook interent, a youtube internet, a DSL Reports interent, etc.
--
DSLr Mafia Member

•••••••••••••••••••

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

In that mentality, everyone else should do the same.

Oh wait.. It's the Internet so, technically, YOU CAN'T without being connected to a POP (ISP).
steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI
said by ITALIAN926:

You seem to lack a basic understanding of economics, as well as how much data actually costs.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by ITALIAN926:

You do realize that Netflix already pays for bandwidth and so do their customers.
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
said by ITALIAN926:

Tell me something; What do the ISPs expect customers to do with 50+ mbps speeds? Nobody needs that kind of bandwidth for reading email or browsing web sites. There comes a point where a normal human being can't tell the difference between something that displays 5/10 of a second quicker.

Why are ISPs providing such speeds (and happily charging for them) and then turning around and telling customers not to use them?

"Hello! Welcome to our buffet restaurant! Here's your 36 inch platter. Now remember, you're not allowed to fill up more than 1/10 of it! Enjoy!"

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

Why they expect us to do nothing with it apart from pay for it. What, you want to USE what you've PAID for? That's madness!
--
-Jason Levine

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

SO Netflix* wants...

the cost of delivering their service shifted to the customers of various ISP's**, even if many of the ISP's customers are not Netflix customers, and that is somehow pro-consumer?
I don't think so, let netflix and it's customers (of which I am one.) pay for their own costs.

*a for profit corporation
** MAY be a for profit corporation, or a not for profit consumer owned muni or co-op.

••••••••••••

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

2 recommendations

It's about protecting legacy systems

IF you think the MPAA/RIAA were bad, ISP's that are also TV network owners and TV distribution owners are worse.

They want eyeballs on their properties and F*K everyone else. It's really bad in Canada, we're lucky to have 3rd parties riding on the last mile,that gets us around incumbents, but it's not an easy ride.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

Re: It's about protecting legacy systems

Paying 88 (eighty-eight) dollars a month plus tax up in southern Ontario Canada for netflix is kind of pricey.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

Netflix Wants Goverment Help To Prop Up Its Business Model

Yay, another bailout from consumers... we should all subsidize Netflix.

How about Netflix charges enough money to pay for peering at the rate they actually use, and then their customers pay for their usage, and not everyone else?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Very Long Wait...

(Netflix humor...users will understand)

Oh, did you read that Microsoft will be subsidizing next-generation of Xbox (720) as a STB. Who will be the sub, but the cable companies!

Netflix, along with YouTube and other content providers NOT under ownership/partnership/deals with telco/cable companies actually face a threat of anti-competition and even collusion.

BTW, Motorola has to be sweating it, I mean, all those STB/DVRs eventually going away...
--
Splat

••••

finally

@comcast.net

no reason for it to be so expensive

oh about time. working for years for the big C the profit on internet was over 300% ... and this was on the $19.99 special! The high prices are all about making back money for those looking to get rid of their video services

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

1 edit

You want Netflix to become a internet provide?...Yeah sucka!

I can see it now according to some of the idiots in here. They want several bills so they can use the entire internet wow. One bill for regular internet,another for Netflix and another for your tv and phone. Yeah wake me up when your Libertarian/GOP stupidity goes away . Look we pay and insane amount for internet that is number 14 on the world something we should be shame about and not brag about it. Good God why is it that countries like Korea,Japan and France don't allow this is kind of behavior. Because those countries already know that the internet should be a dumb pipe and is not a privilege but a necessity to compete in this global market. So if you want to pay more for Netflix then sign up for cable and get and xbox with a gold account so you can pay twice for Netflix if you feel cheated. All I have to say is simple "SUCKA YOU PAY TWICE FOR FREE STUFF NOT ME"
sandman_1

join:2011-04-23

2 recommendations

Caps

Caps have nothing to do with congestion. If they wanted to curtail congestion, they could throttle people over a certain amount of data or throttle everyone during peak times. Most of us know exactly what the cable co's are up to except maybe the shills that visit this site.

There is no competition and if there were, the natural progression would be prices going down and not up, which seems to happen several times a year now. Remember dial-up? How many dial-up providers were there? Prices went down, caps went away if there were any, and there was plenty of competition. Now all that remains is usually the cable co and the phone co in an area, both of which have been monopolies in their own regard for a long time.
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

Lets not forget...

That the last mile traffic has already been paid for, as well as the traffic to that last mile, by the consumer who has paid for their internet bill. Data caps are just a method to quash competition and try and collect extra revenue by double dipping. I pay for my internet connection(which means that my ISPs own last mile and backbone services have been paid for), so if I choose to pay for netflix, I have paid for their service too(which pays their CDN hosts and content companies), and all the bandwidth in between has already been paid for. What ISPs want is to charge CDN providers for something the customer has already paid for. Its just a cash grab until they get regulated or slapped.

•••••••••••

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

So people here like Caps now.

Wow so people here now like CAPS?

Amazing.

I for one enjoy Netflix. Great deal for $8 a month. I pay for my ISP as well. WHY should the ISP limit me on my bandwidth so I have to pay for cable tv crap at $70 a month?
--
"Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul."

•••••

Premium
West Tenness

4 recommendations

loads of ignorance here

To all the anit-Netflix/pro-caps people

A) Netflix already pays for bandwidth

B) ISPs customers already pay for bandwidth

So the whole "Netflix needs to pay it own way" argument is bullshit.

C) Some of these companies are or will move to overages. Which means as long as you're willing to pay more you can use more. Um ok. If caps are their to prevent congestion then allowing people to use more doesn't prevent congestion. Doesn't matter of they are paying more use is use. Smell that? It's call bullshit form ISPs. And if someone tries to say that extra money will go to pay for infrastructure improvements that's BS too.

1)That extra money is INSTANTLY used? Supposed congestion would be happening NOW. Improvements take YEARS. So how does that help NOW? ISPs are going to allow congestion for years? Makes perfect sense.

2)That extra money will go into the pockets of the CEOs and investors not improving infrastructure. So the whole notion that forcing Netflix to pay more and ISPs would actually use that extra money to improve their network is hilarious.

D) Did it occur to ISPs the whole reason why people pay $50+ a month for hi speed internet is BECAUSE of companies like Netflix? If all an ISP expects me to do is check e-mail, sports scores, weather, pay bills and do my fantasy football well I can use their much cheaper 3 Mbps tier to do that. I wonder how they would like LESS money from me every month? Oh wait since I have a smartphone and I'm forced to pay a data fee on it anyways I can do all that stuff on that on my phone so I don't need internet from my ISP at all then.

E) If Netflix and others have to pay ISPs well guess what, they aren't going to. Like ALL businesses, that cost will passed on to the customers.

•••

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

What's next

What are they going to do next?
They got DRM, and now their next step would be caps. How nice is that ?
amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

It's simple. They're scared

I don't know if I care to read every single comment just yet, but a few people have some excellent points that rarely get brought up, and a few are just flat out shills.

Simple fact: Cable operators have paid for upgrades to SPEED tiers for, well, since they started. There is no "loss" of profit on internet, and the whining over paying for upgrades is a farce.

Simple fact #2: The fact that people wish to use their connections as intended, and as advertised is finally a legal reality. More people than would have done so otherwise, are now enjoying the capabilities of a decent connection to the 'net. ALL ISPs have known this day would come.

They also know that they could have staged SPEED upgrades a little slower in order to accommodate usage factors. This is very, very simple - it's better to have a 6Mbps connection that is usable for more than a couple hours a day at full speed, than a 12Mbps connection which can only be used a couple hours a day.

The shills here fail to recognize the few facts above and simply shout that "it's not fair" ...for people to use the networks as expected...
This is simply not the case.

Operators are scared, and have put the brakes on usage out of simple fear.

The only other sad fact is that Netflix still can't offer what it would like to, and can't really live up to an even greater promise of service due to fear in the industry of putting more content online.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
Too late. Game over. Genie is out, and has been out of the bottle for quite some time (OVER A DECADE).

Offer services with all the content possible, not just some meager selection. Offer said service at fair prices, with fair access, and it's a win. Don't do it, and ...well... cry about losing. It should be glaringly obvious that some revenue is better than zero, and that people will copy what they want anyway - the best solution is to ignore this, and offer something better, that people would rather use.

It's not that I really love Netflix. They have their problems, including a rather disorganized and difficult to search website (genres are still notoriously screwed up in some cases, and missing obvious things which are actually out there...). Thing is, at least they try, and have succeeded rather well with a large PAYING audience..

••••
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Two Sides...

There certainly are two camps here but interestingly, there seem to be consumers in both camps.

If you are a consumer and pro CAPS, why? I've read arguments that you want bandwidth hogs to pay their fair share. Is that the reason?

I'm not a NetFlix user and I probably use about 50GB - 100GB/month. That includes browsing and watching several HD movies per month on my Apple TV. I don't think I'm a bandwidth hog by any means. I've never been warned by my ISP for using too much data.

If I'm the "typical" consumer who is not being targeted to pay my fair share, by inference I must be paying more than my fair share to support someone else. If we get them to pay for their usage, will my bill drop? If so, how much? Due to a bundlinb, I only pay $29/month for 15/3. Can I expect to see that price fall to $19/month? If not, why should I be in the "pay your fair share" camp?

Premium
West Tenness

Re: Two Sides...

said by rradina:

There certainly are two camps here but interestingly, there seem to be consumers in both camps.

If you are a consumer and pro CAPS, why? I've read arguments that you want bandwidth hogs to pay their fair share. Is that the reason?

They are under the mistaken belief that ISPs will drop THEIR pricing if "hogs" are forced to pay more. And of course they believe that because some industry shill keeps spreading that lie. I'm sure if they were told the truth that THEIR pricing will stay EXCATLY the same they'd feel differently. Also many of these people are unaware of their own usage. I suspect many supposed "non hogs" use more than they think.
Wilsdom

There is a sort of animal psychology at work, where hurting the Other, who is seen as privileged and anti-social, makes people feel part of the group, and under the secure watch of Big Daddy. But like Hitler (yup I went there) Comcast has no evidence. Should be easy enough to show us the numbers comparing the profit for the average customer compared to profit for a high-usage customer. If they were losing money no one would could argue with the cap!

But it seems like they make plenty of money, it's just that they want to preserve their TV business and slow down data growth across all customers before it starts to become difficult to increase profits by double-digits every quarter
Lurchmonster

join:2002-04-09
Birmingham, AL

Anti-competition.

Here in Birmingham Alabama, the largest city in the state, you have only 1 choice for cable internet. No other cable company is allowed to operate in Birmingham other than Time Warner (Brighthouse). The local cable company that made this deal with the city of Birmingham was bought by Time Warner, and the deal still stands. So...I pay what I have to pay...far too much...just for 7mb down.
Wilsdom

Re: Anti-competition.

Better than Comcast... But check if Earthlink is available, might be a little cheaper
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Grow up!

Netflix is the #1 glutton on the Internet.

Instead of whining about "net neutrality", which is the primary reason we have wired caps, they should negotiate for cap-free delivery.

••••

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

CON gress

Doesn't care as long as the catv lobby dollars keep coming in.
JAQUEBAUER

join:2007-09-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

Data Caps

As a captive customer of ATT I am forced to pay fines every month for exceeding their data capacity limit. It should unlawful- yet we all know who owns the congress and FCC. I doubt if Net Flix will get anywhere-but at least they raise the awareness by getting some press. Most Americans have too many other problems in their life, and so the daily struggle leaves those least able to pay for things the ones that get the shaft. Should the government ( that's us)be paying for low income and welfare cheats to get free cell phones- ? How the hell did that legislation get through ? I can afford the fines ATT charges and so I continue to use their DSL-as they are the only provider in my area.
Its time for a revolution, as we are no longer represented in congress, and our government is controlled by the wall street tycoons and multinational corporations. The communists are making inroads into congress and yet most do not care. Go figure. ATT is really a criminal conspiracy designed to defraud its customers. It falsifies time and use data, yet no federal investigative agency will wake up and act. So either we remain puppets and pawns, or we collectively rise and revolt against the forces of tyranny.
JAQUEBAUER

join:2007-09-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit
As a captive customer of ATT I am forced to pay fines every month for exceeding their data capacity limit. It should unlawful- yet we all know who owns the congress and FCC. I doubt if Net Flix will get anywhere-but at least they raise the awareness by getting some press. Most Americans have too many other problems in their life, and so the daily struggle leaves those least able to pay for things the ones that get the shaft. Should the government ( thats us)be paying for low income and welfare cheats to get free cell phones- ? How the hell did that legislation get through ? I can afford the fines ATT charges and so I continue to use their DSL-as they are the only provider in my area.
Its time for a revolution, as we are no longer represented in congress, and our government is controlled by the wall street tycoons and multinational corporations. The communists are making inroads into congress and yet most do not care. Go figure. ATT is really a criminal conspiracy designed to defraud its customers. It falsifies time and use data, yet no federal investigative agency will wake up and act. So either we remain puppets and pawns, or we collectively rise and revolt against the forces of tyranny.