spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-28 14:32:28: Users in our Verizon FiOS forum note that Verizon will finally start being more strict when it comes to CableCARD restrictions. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Arm and a Leg????? hardly. But something has to subsidize cheap internet. And remember- those people in those shows want a pay check just like you. They don't work for pennies on the dollar from Click to Pay ads.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

huh?

Can someone explain what this means? I thought a cablecard always had to be pair with a specific host? or are they saying you can only pair it to equipment they choose now?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to 25139889

Re: .....

You already pay for the content. The copy once flag is DRM designed to make it more difficult to view that content you legally pay for, under the guise that pirates will share that material and thus they NEED to protect their content.

I like the way it is now. I can easily watch on my PC my W7MC shows on a media share. If they put the copy flag on, a 100% legitimate use of the material I am paying for will be removed.

Also, the silicondust ipad apps, etc will no longer work.

You will be forced to wait for Verizon (known world-wide for their high quality software and PC only versions) to conjure up an app to get access to it, of course using THEIR DVRs not my W7MC that I use today to avoid the $60/month in fees I don't pay to them.

So why bother having cable? I can simply download what I want and watch it where I want, like I do now 100% legally, except I could do it for free and do exactly what stupid DRM restrictions do-- turn law abiding citizens into criminals.

If you recall DRM already failed in music, and itunes is an example on how a legitimate site works and that DRM just limits choice and portability.

So this is only going back into the stone age.

After VZ wanting to jack my 3-play rates $30 (to $130), I am simply going to drop all 3 and go to TWC for $40/month for 15/2, and pocket the extra $90/month. Ok I may have to pay $6 for VOIP because my wife needs a landline.

Imagine what I can do with $84, hmm maybe I can put that toward my Verizon family share plan Oops, I went to VM an PPC, another $100/month in my pocket.

Sorry VZ, you lose $184/month from me.

Great plan....

CharlesH1

join:2011-04-29
Milpitas, CA
reply to neufuse

Re: huh?

said by neufuse:

Can someone explain what this means? I thought a cablecard always had to be pair with a specific host? or are they saying you can only pair it to equipment they choose now?

Until now, Verizon did not require that the card be paired to the device. The card simply had to be activated and authorized to decode particular channels. OTOH, most cable companies, such as Comcast, insisted that the card be paired to a device at least to receive premium channels.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

Arm and a Leg????? hardly. But something has to subsidize cheap internet. And remember- those people in those shows want a pay check just like you. They don't work for pennies on the dollar from Click to Pay ads.

LOL, you are funny man. How's that kool-aid taste?

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to neufuse

If the cablecard was activated (paired) successfully, you can move it to another box without re-pairing.

With clearQAM channels I was able to watch even if the cablecard wasn't activated properly (I just stuck it into the 3CC).

When they turn on the copy once flag, if the pairing does not match the HostID (the box you plug it into)--Data ID, you will not be able to decode those channels since copy once is tied to a unique DataID, since CCI copy-once actually re-encrypts the stream.

So for instance if copy freely is on, the file sitting on your W7MC is a decrypted blob you can move around and use freely. If CCI/CO flag was set that data at rest is encrypted on the disk and only the authorized endpoint with the decryption key can decrypt (view) that content.

It's basically crap.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

Fios content providers...

...are now probably INSISTING that the copy once is honored, but it's obvious that Verizon has decided that it is time to monitze FIOS and begin that longterm payback.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Not a surprise

Content owners weren't going to let them keep the free for all going for very long.

Toledo, OH
reply to elefante72

I understand that. My point was they expect to get paid- and want in on it too. And my comment about already over priced content was that hollywood wants paid as well- just like the "news guy" wishes.

And this proves that the grass is NOT always better on the otherside as people make VZ out to be with FiOS. They're not better than an MSO.

Toledo, OH
reply to sandman_1

no i'm not funny. my point was about the remark that Karl always makes about TV being over priced. they want paid just like he does.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

hmm

This just proves that verizon will eventually be like the cable companies. How much longer till they start capping fios?

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to elefante72

You need an extender for your W7MC. You are allowed to stream that recorded content, just not copy it to a different device. Spend $100 on a refurbished XBox 360 from bestbuy.com and watch live and recorded tv from your W7MC. While not using a cable box...

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to elefante72

Like I said above, you can stream content from your W7MC to an extender and be within your rights while not violating provider's flag.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to wkm001

can also likely get software that will strip off the copy once flag. its not wrong to do so unless you go beyond the LAN and offer it over the internet.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

What cheap Internet? Stop hoarding the cheap Internet!

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

lame

I fail to see what this does for anyone, except suck.
Only a matter of time before other cable companies follow suit.

So you can't burn DVDs of shows you record via Media Center???
Xbox as an extender should still work, I guess.

Do the refer to Tivo when they say that some "multi room" solutions may be impacted???

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

FIOS versus Cablevision

So FIOS will reduce our flexibility, but I have the option of taking Cablevision's services. Are they the same?

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to amungus

Re: lame

TiVo streaming from box to box will work but transferring full shows will not. anybody with a TiVo on time Warner cable knows this all too well.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to fifty nine

Re: Not a surprise

said by fifty nine:

Content owners weren't going to let them keep the free for all going for very long.

Well it's been about five years already.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to IanR

Re: FIOS versus Cablevision

said by IanR:

So FIOS will reduce our flexibility, but I have the option of taking Cablevision's services. Are they the same?

I don't know about CV specifically, but Fios was one of the few TV providers that wasn't doing this already.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 25139889

It is overpriced. It hikes every year, and I mean EVERY YEAR.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IanR

Re: FIOS versus Cablevision

said by IanR:

With every cable company you have to have the cable cards paired Fios was the exception until now. Most of Comcast only copy once the premiums channel like HBO. TW has copy once on all channels except the locals.
--
Caddy

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Copy Once

I'm pretty sure all the cable companies are set to copy once at best for cablecards, so it doesn't come to me as a surprise that VZ would ultimately end up like the rest of them.

Some I believe have set their premiums to copy never, I know I was reading of some problems with Time Warner Cable and that.

Is it stupid and counterintuitive? Yes. But that's precisely what content providers want. They're terrified someone's going to take Game of Thrones, record it on an HTPC, and load it up on TPB.

Because this will REALLY stop that. Right......

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Fios finally got caught

Like some have said Fios finally got caught not putting copy once flags so now they will have to.
--
Caddy

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to wkm001

Thanks. I already have that setup and it will continue to work because the extender is streaming, like tivos.

However my PC's and ipads will no longer be able to work on content w/ this flag, and room to room transfers on tivos will be dead.

And there was a pretty vibrant linux crowd (mythtv, sagetv, etc) that was able to use FIOS in peace.

Once they start turning on the flag those solutions will be dead in the water.

This is about reducing choice, not increasing it.

If aereo wins, watch out cable providers...

Toledo, OH
reply to Simba7

and like i said- those same people that produce and are in the shows that are air entitled to their pay checks the same as anyone else. The fact is what happened to VZ and ATT's claim where cable rates would be cheaper?

Oh wait- we can't bitch about that because VZ rolled out FiOS.

Toledo, OH
reply to 34764170

it could be much more expensive than what it is. And yes the US does have cheap internet. They could roll out those yearly price increases to the Internet when in fact they don't.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to majortom1029

Re: hmm

said by majortom1029:

This just proves that verizon will eventually be like the cable companies. How much longer till they start capping fios?

I hate to break it to you but FiOS is pretty much a cable company. I smh every time I see people cheering for FiOS to dominate and kill off cable... when they become dominant they can pull off crap like this.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to wmcbrine

Re: Not a surprise

said by wmcbrine:

said by fifty nine:

Well it's been about five years already.

Yep, and maybe they just noticed. It's possible.

Kinda sucks your software doesn't work no more with hbo on fios though.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to djdanska

Re: lame

said by djdanska:

TiVo streaming from box to box will work but transferring full shows will not. anybody with a TiVo on time Warner cable knows this all too well.

TiVo HD and series 3 doesn't have streaming, only copying.