spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-06-29 12:43:18: Reddit users have noticed that Cisco has started automatically pushing the company's new "Cloud Connect" firmware update to consumer routers -- without customer approval. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Whats the big deal?

I fail to see why all of you is making a big deal out of it. If the router wasn't set to auto update, there wouldn't be a problem even though what happened isn't a problem.
All I've read here is people bitching and complaining and throwing gasoline on the fire by those who don't even own an affected Cisco product. Wow. Way to abuse the right to free speech our forefathers would be proud (insert sarcasm and headshaking)

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

Re: Whats the big deal?

said by Mike Wolf:

I fail to see why all of you is making a big deal out of it. If the router wasn't set to auto update, there wouldn't be a problem even though what happened isn't a problem.
All I've read here is people bitching and complaining and throwing gasoline on the fire by those who don't even own an affected Cisco product. Wow. Way to abuse the right to free speech our forefathers would be proud (insert sarcasm and headshaking)

Yep. Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable. FWIW, I really doubt Cisco cares about tracking any of you. I'm sure they have better things to do than see if one of us checks out Disney now and then. Personally I like the idea of being able to access my router and local network remotely. Who really cares about the collection of aggregate data? I don't. Here's what Cnet had to say about it. »reviews.cnet.com/networking-and-···243.html
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA
I bet in a few days all will realize that the sky is not falling after all.
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Re: Whats the big deal?

well it looks like pcworld picked up on this »www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a···ers.html
b00st3d

join:2004-06-12
New Orleans, LA
there are definitely issues with the new firmware. i had extreme latency problems on both wired and wireless connections which were all fixed by downgrading to the previous firmware. if you look at the cisco home forums, every other thread is people having problems with the new firmware. cisco obviously knows about the issues, why else would they provide instructions on rolling back to the old firmware?!

»www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?···donelr=1

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS

FYI

Cisco is calling this service "Connect Cloud", not "Cloud Connect".

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Re: FYI

putting either in the url brings to the same place but yeah your right its connect cloud.

Plan Ahead
Premium
join:2006-04-30

Smoothwall

Get an off lease PC or build a low power model if you want and install SmoothWall or IPCop. Addons like Blackhole DNS, Advance Proxy and URL Filter to name a few will give you so much more control than the stock firmware or even Tomato. It was the best $75.00 I spent on my network and I cannot imagine going back to a consumer or even a commercial router.
--
It's always later then you think.

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

why update firmware in the first place???

i dont see why anyone would have the auto-update firmware option turned on on any router (assuming it is working correctly). am i missing something? are there security holes in these devices that are found and then need to be patched?

i am asking from a novice viewpoint, as i never update firmware in my consumer routers and always disable remote management options. if it isnt broke dont fix it.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Re: why update firmware in the first place???

auto update is for users who dont know how to check for updates for their router. router updates can have both feature enhancements, bring new features, and sometimes the rare security update.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

hmmm

What I find hilarious is all the bitching when no one has any idea WHAT actual data is being collected, if it is even being sold to third parties, or what the intended use of the data that may not even be being collected is.

Fear mongering comes to mind.

And then there's the boycotting thing. That is absolutely hilarious. We should all boycott every company that wants to know how/what/if we use their product. WAIT........

Guess I should just turn off my internets since Cisco has destroyed everything : /
--
20/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old
Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

No browser interface

Is Apple the only manufacturer of main stream routers that do not have browser interface?

I know MikroTik does also but they are not widely available as far as I know

I am under impression that if you have to use an application to access the router, the outside world can not touch your router

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

Re: No browser interface

said by Liberty:

I am under impression that if you have to use an application to access the router, the outside world can not touch your router

And how does the app talk to the router?
Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by cowboyro:

said by Liberty:

Ahhm, I am guessing maybe you are not a mac user
I googled 'setup apple router' and this is one hit:

Apple Airport Extreme Configuration

These configuration instructions are for the Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router. The screenshots below are from the Microsoft Windows AirPort Extreme configuration utility provided by Apple.

To configure your AirPort, launch the AirPort Extreme administrative interface on your computer. It will attempt to locate your AirPort using your computer's wireless network card as shown below...

»oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/apple-airport-extreme

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT

said by Liberty:

said by cowboyro:

said by Liberty:

It will attempt to locate your AirPort using your computer's wireless network card

That was exactly my point. It still talks via TCP/IP. Hence not any more secure.
Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by cowboyro:

That was exactly my point. It still talks via TCP/IP. Hence not any more secure.

I am not qualified to debate
However it appears to me that the apple router can only be modified from the LAN side and not the WLAN side

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT

said by Liberty:

I am not qualified to debate
However it appears to me that the apple router can only be modified from the LAN side and not the WLAN side

That's an option present on most (if not all) routers (at least in the consumer/small office range). I haven't seen one in the last 10 or so years that doesn't have an option to disable WAN access for management.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

Anyone still using a Cisco (aka Linksys) router...

...really deserves this crap.

TasMot

@worldbank.org

Well this is good timing

I need a new router. My old Linksys is starting to be a little flaky. So, now, I will be going with re-purposing an old computer to pfSense. I had already started looking into how to set up a USB boot version of pfSense (and it can be done). So now, it will move up in priority. It used to be that Linksys had the most feature full routers and switches for the best price. They seriously started going downhill when the C-word company bought them. That C-word company seems to have taken the the worst of the corporate force-it-down-your-throat mentality and applied to consumers who have a choice to go elsewhere. From now on, my little piece of the world will receive recommendations to buy anything but C**** routers and switches so that they don't have their private info sold to the world. Now, having my network data monitored, collected and aggregated just doesn't do anything for me. If nothing else, it will use up my bandwidth to send it to them. In another one of those f***ing corporate money grabs, Comcast now has bandwidth caps. If my usage goes over I get charged more (and I'm betting that C**** won't repay me for the overages that they caused). I already block access to as many ad sites as I can, but I need to get to the router site for debugging issues. I guess I'm glad I ordered a TRENDNet gigabit switch now (24 port $109.00) for my house (and yes, I really do need a 24 port switch at home). I used to only buy Linksys. Now, they will be the only entry on my "don't buy from them" list.