dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-02 10:32:13: Last Friday we noted that a new Cisco automatic firmware update for some residential routers was causing no shortage of annoyance among users, since it automatically upgraded them to a firmware that required they log into the cloud to conduct even ru.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

Necessary?

The snark at the end of the post is ridiculous.

Blog comments on any hot button issue are absolutely worthless. Not sure why that's even worthy of being posted.

Alex J
@ecatel.net

Alex J

Anon

Re: Necessary?

So saying you take feedback "very seriously" then proceeding to not allow any = fine.

Pointing out how that's rather silly = ridiculous.

Glad we've got that straightened out.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

Blog comments on a hot button issue are the antithesis of feedback.

Cisco has numerous feedback channels one can pursue.

Alex J
@sunwave.com.br

Alex J

Anon

Blog comments on a hot button issue are the antithesis of feedback.

While blog comment quality usually leaves something to be desired (this conversation a prime example), saying it's not feedback is complete nonsense.

It's just feedback that's public and in the case likely negative.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

viperpa33s to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Since you are an expert on this, do you work for Cisco? Are you a customer of Cisco on a daily bases? First of all I can tell you from experience that there feedback sucks. Not only don't they listen to there residential customers, they don't listen to there business customers either.

As far as providing numerous feedback channels, show me where they are? You mean like the worthless feedback emails a company sends you after you buy and register the product?
MattAKM
join:2002-08-04
Anoka, MN

MattAKM

Spot on, my former employer spent millions on Crisco and their support was terrible. I could write a novel on their excuse for support.
»flic.kr/p/cs2iEw

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

1 recommendation

mix to drew

to drew
By your logic drew, the same can be said for your comment to this article.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

I'm not expecting customer satisfaction or Karl to change his posts by way of my posting here. There's a difference.

Edit: and I'd not exactly equate a blog post to a news article.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak

Premium Member

said by drew:

I'm not expecting customer satisfaction or Karl to change his posts by way of my posting here. There's a difference.

But yet the "Feedback channel" is available to you. Negative or otherwise.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

I don't see how it's all that different if DSLR only accepts positive feedback.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to spewak

to spewak
said by spewak:

said by drew:

But yet the "Feedback channel" is available to you. Negative or otherwise.

You mean a Feedback channel that is routed to /dev.null (ie: Is Bit Bucketed)? Any Feedback channel whose input is not visible to those using it is simple to ignore or claim that that your input is unique and not being made by others. A Blog at least reflects what is being said and unless additional additions are forbidden (as is the case here) or negative remarks are removed shows what has been said about an issue.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

Blog comments on any hot button issue are absolutely worthless. Not sure why that's even worthy of being posted.

It actually made me chuckle.
If you don't feel it's worthy what news topics have you submitted for review lately?
Expand your moderator at work

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Very necessary. Pretty obvious Cisco doesn't give a shit. 'Connect Cloud' for a router is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. So stupid that they must know how stupid it is and are just hoping to pull one over on less informed customers.

My Synology NAS has apps and all sorts of fancy stuff that I mostly don't use. None of it requires that I login to some bullshit 'cloud' account that collects information.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to drew

to drew
said by drew:

Just shows that CISCO is run by liars and spin doctors. I'm not surprised that they did this though. They're an ethically corrupt bunch those guys.

I knew that CISCO was loosing its trustworthiness back when they had one of their ex CEO's arrested, imprisoned and a bunch of other rotten things done to him by lying to Canadian and US judges.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Simple Answer

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers. Companies can only get away with doing things like this if people allow them to, though it never ceases to amaze me that the people that make up these companies can easily forget they are dealing with people and should treat them like they would like to be treated.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

danclan

Re: Simple Answer

I think short term this a huge PR blunder but the sheeple will continue to buy their products unless this remains the big deal it is. This effectively turns your router into a PS3 and by that I mean you really don't own it. It's not yours to do with as you see fit unless you are FULLY aware of how to prevent them from totally mucking your router.

And what is to stop them from making the next gen router do this right out of the box where don't have a choice but to only use the 'cloud connect' stupidity?

This is a sad development from Cisco and I look forward to buying and recommending Asus and other manufacturers.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by quetwo:

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...

and what happens when someone figures out how to log into other peoples routers? It wont take long, and before long, someone can fuck with your router and never even have to be on your network. Some things need to remain off the cloud, and local hardware management(unless you need otherwise, which is fine, set up remote access, its there on most routers already) should stay local. It leaves less chance of someone getting on your network. And with the routers ability to track what your doing, it only leaves a matter of time before someone exploits it for personal gain(by siphoning the data, with credit card numbers ect...). I give it a month before its compromised and they are then issuing an "upgrade" that gives all the same functionality without the cloud interface.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

Agreed. Back in the days of DNSChanger malware being abundant throughout the P2P community for music (Read: Limewire), often times malware would change settings such as DNS Servers and routes in a router if the malware was specifically designed for a router and the admin password was left unchanged. Adding in cloud features, granted an exploit can be found, could easily bring about this same issue once again.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech to quetwo

Premium Member

to quetwo
So, the cloud is evil. Who knew?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers.

I've decided, due to this single act by Cisco ... that I'll not be purchasing any more of their products ever again, and will not be recommending them to friends, family or acquaintances.

myosh
join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

1 recommendation

myosh

said by newview:

said by AVonGauss:

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers.

I've decided, due to this single act by Cisco ... that I'll not be purchasing any more of their products ever again, and will not be recommending them to friends, family or acquaintances.

Heh, I made that decision a couple of years ago to stop buying Linksys stuff and switch over to Netgear. To force consumers to sign-up for a "cloud" account just to access and maintain their routers is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of and I hope the execs at Cisco get roasted over this decision.
flbas1
join:2010-02-03
Fort Lauderdale, FL

flbas1 to newview

to newview
I decided that when I bought a N router (160n - v2). it crashed regularly, even with updated firmware. I remember that there were 3 firmware versions. one was slow, one was reliable but without any cool features, and one crashed. You had to pick your poison.

morph69alrea
@host36-server.com

morph69alrea to AVonGauss

Anon

to AVonGauss
or buy them then put a good firmware like ddwrt or another open source option

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

I'm confused about the whole issue

quote:
...since it automatically upgraded them to a firmware that required they log into the cloud to conduct even rudimentary router changes.

If your WAN is down you can't log into your router to see that your WAN is down? Seems a very stupid design to me.
circade
join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

circade

Re: I'm confused about the whole issue

You can log in to the router, but you will have very limited control over the router. Cisco severely cripples your control locally.

In order to modify such things as Guest Access and port forwarding or other advanced features, you must have internet access and log in to Cisco Connect Cloud. There is no opt-out. The privacy-invasive ToS was the icing on the cake.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

WTF. So if this service goes down, temporarily or permanently, the router configuration is severely crippled? So stupid.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

WTF. So if this service goes down, temporarily or permanently, the router configuration is severely crippled? So stupid.

Sooo stupid it's dumb!

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

I think the procedure to revert to non-cloud-crippled firmware also had logging into the cloud configuration as one of the steps. LOLOL

Also isn't Cisco rumoured to be shutting down the whole consumer division? If true how long will they keep the service up after that?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina

Selling physical products as a services

Why is everyone trying to sell physical products as a "services". Isn't this called leasing? I'll bet a paycheck that if they continue with this strategy, all new routers will be managed in the cloud and once most customers are in the cloud, they'll start charging a monthly fee. That's right -- a monthly fee to change your router's password!

What's next? When I want to start my car, it networks with the manufacturer (through my cell phone using my capped data plan; no cell phone with a data connection? ROTFLMAO) to make sure I've activated my car subscription, the monthly credit card charge was approved, I've serviced it at the dealer within the last 3,000 miles and my subscription allows me to operate the car within the given geographic region (like DVD B.S.).

If the monthly fee is $30 and the car is free, I guess I can live with that.

AlexNYC
join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

1 recommendation

AlexNYC

Linksys / Cisco making bad produsts for years

This is really not new. When it comes to the residential routers from Linksys / Cisco this is part of many years bad decisions and sub par products. I have not purchased a Linksys router in years and even when I purchased the last one it was a WRT54GL that was running Tomato or DD-WRT, but never the stock Linksys firmware. I currently use a Netgear WNDR3800 and have been very happy with its performance and advance features.
As a side note the dismal performance and issues of the residential Linksys Cisco devices should not be confused with their enterprise routing and switching equipment which is and always has been regarded as the industry standard.

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

1 recommendation

Ericthorn

Premium Member

Data Collection

The new TOS allowing them to track my data is enough to say I'm never using, or recommending, any Cisco product again.

dfrandin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

dfrandin

Premium Member

Cisco doesn't seem to understand..

What the idiots in Cisco's executive suite apparently don't understand is the fact that this kind of blatant Orwellian b.s. is NOT GOING TO FLY with the techies who VERY OFTEN are the buyers/recommenders of equipment for their companies/friends/customers. I can tell you right here and now, I *used* to be a big fan of Cisco, recommended them/wrote PR's for them for the last 20+ years in my day-jobs, but that ENDED with this over-the-top insanity.. Yeah, I know this is on their low-end residential products, but how long can it be before they *try* (notice I said *try*) this on their enterprise gear? WHEN that happens, the backlash you're seeing now will be tiny compared to the backlash at that time...

A company I'm consulting for needs a small business router, VPN, VOIP support and I was considering one of Ciscos Integrated Network products, but there's no chance in hell of that happening now..

The fact they locked comments on their blog tells me they *know* damned well how bad this crap is to their customers, and they just don't want to hear the "FU Cisco" comments...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

good deal

This is better - at least the tracking part has been removed.

Thank you. I think I'll still hold on to my old WRT 54G with Tomato

•••

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

1 recommendation

Trimline

Premium Member

Cisco is Eavesdropping

I equate Cisco's action to me buying a telephone, plugging it in and "permitting" the manufacturer to "listen" to my calls. Site: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ea ··· dropping

I recommend that any Cisco owner, simply call customer support and ask for a refund. Then go to the nearest computer store and buy a new router (any Netgear will do just fine).
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Re: Cisco is Eavesdropping

The telcos already listen in; it's part of "quality of service."
yonkers10701
join:2001-09-06
Yonkers, NY

yonkers10701

Re: Cisco is Eavesdropping

telcos do not listen in , that is still a criminal offense. The times you here that is on sales and service calls, which is a conversation with a telco employee, or in these days contractors. The fallacy of this is that when you have a problem with billing due to the lying contracted employee, saying anything to get a sale, knowing he will be paid his bonus and gone when the customer realizes they have been overcharged , or there is a special fee that the rep promised was not applicable . This happened to me and i fought it to the top of that chain to another state district, guess what they could not find any recording that would prove the rep had given false info on price. You need to record it yourself or do what i do, send me the info in the mail period.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

elefante72

race to skynet

Every vendor is out there racing to control everything plugged into your house. This is the network guys, the wireless guys, the cable companies, etc. They need to find revenue in no growth markets.

The wireless guys need to kill you on data, and smartphones.
The wireline guys want your home automation, your refrig, and anything else that can connect.
Cable guys are Mad Men, still in the 50-60's but they are emerging slowly.
Cisco wants to own the same and when they say free, they mean free until you are dependent upon it, and then they charge you dearly.

I work in IT, I see people fall into this trap daily and it's no different than a guy buying a $3m box or a $100 gateway.

It seems that there NEEDs to be some legislation to protect consumers because I'm sorry nobody can read the 40 pages TOS for every single item and make a decision. Even if Cisco doesn't farms and resell your data doesn't mean that the guy after Chambers won't. They will. Big Data is big $$$.
sparc
join:2006-05-06

1 recommendation

sparc

Watch sales drop for all their networking equipment....

If they aren't proactive about this and remove that TOS and the software, they risk losing customers.

Privacy is a huge issue these days. Google's image has been tarnished a lot because of their privacy issues.

GoPfsense
@bellmobilite.ca

GoPfsense

Anon

Re: Watch sales drop for all their networking equipment....

Simply take that old laptop, pc and drop open source pfsense on it. You end up with a far better router and you were going to through out that equipment anyhow. Or build your own dual atom dual gig e low power board or what ever else you wish to use. No privacy issues, full control, many features and no 4-5 digit expense you would find in a larger comercial box. Many times better then any consumer stuff. I have gone this route and couldn't be happier.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

1 recommendation

somms

Update Does Not 'Actively Track, Collect or Store Personal..

Keep believing the above 'official' PR talking point from Cisco Corporate as you drink the kool-aid!

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

1 recommendation

cpsycho

Not buying Cisco any more

Next upgrade with all my customers will be upgrades away from Cisco, my corporate customers as well.

••••

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora

I have a Cisco router and it runs DD-WRT

I don't seem to be affected by this at all and I'm assuming anyone else can just also put on third party firmware. At least it seems to have an easy solution.

Rabbi
@westnet.com.au

Rabbi

Anon

Re: I have a Cisco router and it runs DD-WRT

The problem is there isn't - nor is there ever likely to be - third party firmware. The chipset isn't supported by any 3rd party developers :-(

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

Re: I have a Cisco router and it runs DD-WRT

Prior problems with Linksys/Cisco product support is one reason I always advise home and small business customers that if they must purchase a router from them to first check the DD-WRT supported list of devices and make sure that the model they want is on that list.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· _Devices

This gives them access to optional firmware should they too become unhappy with the company. Just don't get a device that shoes WIP or work in progress on the list. I tell them if it's not on the list I will only provide limited support later if or when things go wrong with the device.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

byebye cisco

I know this is Linksys crap, but I think I just got dissuaded from buying any Cisco in the future, not even their business level gear.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Cisco Cloud is just the first - other router vendors also

This is a watershed moment...sort of like with Windows 8 where if you don't want it you better buy a Win 7 computer before Win 8 is released (Win 7 is supported by Microsoft until 2020 so no worries there). It is the same with routers now...you don't want the cloud then you better buy a new router now before the other router vendors have THEIR cloud routers available for purchase. Cisco just happened to be the first but this is where they are all headed.

I have zero interest in using my cloud router while away from home to check on my refrigerator or turn on a lamp, etc. I just want my router to be a router and manage my little home computing network. I currently have an ancient Linksy router that will be nine years old in November. I was planning on buying a E series Linksy whenever my ISP bothers to get with IPv6 but the one I bookmarked to purchase is the older model and Cisco is now selling the new EA series that are the cloud models which I don't want.

Do these EA series allow for third party firmware? If not, guess I will ask SamKnows if I can flash the original firmware on the Netgear they sent me and use it as SK later sent me a TP-Link which I use for their tests and said they didn't want the Netgear back. I happen to prefer Linksy though over all other vendors because they have one setting in all their routers that other vendors don't and I want that setting...it matters to me, whereas, the cloud and apps so I can turn on the heat as I leave for home ....nope, don't care about that crap at all.

Hedwig Kotov
@reserver.ru

Hedwig Kotov

Anon

Re: Cisco Cloud is just the first - other router vendors also

said by Mele20:

This is a watershed moment...sort of like with Windows 8 where if you don't want it you better buy a Win 7 computer before Win 8 is released (Win 7 is supported by Microsoft until 2020 so no worries there). It is the same with routers now...you don't want the cloud then you better buy a new router now before the other router vendors have THEIR cloud routers available for purchase. Cisco just happened to be the first but this is where they are all headed.

I have zero interest in using my cloud router while away from home to check on my refrigerator or turn on a lamp, etc. I just want my router to be a router and manage my little home computing network. I currently have an ancient Linksy router that will be nine years old in November. I was planning on buying a E series Linksy whenever my ISP bothers to get with IPv6 but the one I bookmarked to purchase is the older model and Cisco is now selling the new EA series that are the cloud models which I don't want.

Do these EA series allow for third party firmware? If not, guess I will ask SamKnows if I can flash the original firmware on the Netgear they sent me and use it as SK later sent me a TP-Link which I use for their tests and said they didn't want the Netgear back. I happen to prefer Linksy though over all other vendors because they have one setting in all their routers that other vendors don't and I want that setting...it matters to me, whereas, the cloud and apps so I can turn on the heat as I leave for home ....nope, don't care about that crap at all.

A few things here.. What does Windows 8 have to do with buying a new computer? Doesn't everyone wipe the crappy bloated pre-installed OS's anyway and put on what they want without the bloat? I don't see how a computer purchase is at all relevant to what OS is being pushed.

Second, you do know IPv6 makes it exceptionally easy to spy on people, right? Are you SURE you want a IPv6 enabled device, which essentially identifies you with a permanent ID on the internet locked into each device? Everyone I know serious about privacy has IPv6 disabled in their OS, and doesn't use IPv6 devices unless the IPv6 can be disabled.. Seriously I thought you were into this privacy stuff?

Anyone with half a brain either uses legacy higher end consumer stuff like SMC Barricades. End-of-Life former Enterprise stuff (Juniper 5GT, SonicWALL, Watchguards for dirt cheap, or Linux Firewalls. Only newbs use consumer grade rubbish, especially from Cisco which has a history of hideous activities..
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Re: Cisco Cloud is just the first - other router vendors also

OEMs generally don't bloat the computers now as they did a few years ago. (Dell installs McAfee or Trend Micro but nothing else that is bloat). You buy from an OEM you can't remove the OS. Why would you want to anyway? You paid for it. I don't pay for things I don't intend to use. Besides, when you need to invoke your warranty (I always buy 5 years of warranty because it is well worth it as motherboards will probably die at least once during that period as well as CDRom drives, etc but mobos are the big thing). If you buy warranty then you have to reinstall the OS that came on the computer if you want to invoke the warranty. Why in the world would I pay for Windows 8 and then go and buy Windows 7 install it ...all that hassle and the bloated fee that Microsoft charges for Win 7 Pro...then need hardware warranty invoked and have to uninstall Win 7 and install Win 8? Besides, with OEMs now, even Dell, which was the last holdout, you don't get a Reinstallation disk and cannot order one for a fee...unless you are a corporate customer. Even Small Business customers no longer get reinstallation disks. You are stuck with what comes on the computer.

Of course, I want a router that is IPv6 aware. You like limiting yourself to IPv4 only websites? Most users already have "permanent" IP addresses. If you have cable modem and never shut down your computer, you will rarely, if ever, get a different IP address. I am a panelist for the FCC broadband tests for over one and one-half years now. I have a router from SamKnows that runs their tests every hour. I don't feel that my privacy is invaded because I chose to participate in this testing.

Linksy was not always Cisco. My Linksy router is ancient and was bought from Linksy not Cisco almost nine years ago. As for Cisco, gee, my ISP uses Cisco CMTS, routers, etc. According to your reasoning I should drop my ISP for privacy reasons and because Cisco may or may not have aided the Chinese regarding political surveillance of their citizens. So, how would you suggest I connect to the internet?
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Linksys routers no longer viable products..

Seams to me.. there is a major problem with this kind of software change.
I.E. You need Internet connectivity to change the settings.. Duhhh..

Can we say Catch-22? Horse before the cart? Chicken before the egg?

Are the people working for Cisco that dumb??

The time a person really needs access to the configurations settings is precisely when you DON'T have a functional Internet connection. So much for the cloud login sequence.

••••

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Of course the comments are locked

I would have them locked too for now till everyone calms down and users can think rationally instead of a flamewar sparking.

••••••

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

DD-WRT

Cisco Runs Best On DD-WRT!

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Re: DD-WRT

Unless it has a Marvell chipset which is not supported by DD-WRT or any 3rd party FW.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

Re: DD-WRT

or for that matter a Proprietary ASIC chipset or one of million chipsets DD-WRT does not support, huh...

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6

e4200 v2

From the hardware perspective, this e4200v2 is nearly identical to the EA4500. It is running the latest non-cloud firmware with automatic update disabled. It runs just fine, does what I need, and I may never update the firmware, ever.
page: 1 · 2 · next