spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-03 14:14:01: After Time Warner Cable took a public relations beating for pushing low caps and high per byte overages on consumers back in 2009, the company has been stepping very carefully in what is quite obviously their relentless desire to charge consumers bro.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

DrData
Premium
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

Lack of competition

Lack of competition drives stupidity like this. If they had competition they would be taking $5-$10 off the all you can eat plans.

daake07

join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

5GB per month...wow

You know people complain about only having 4-5GB month on their cell phone, what would they do if that was their home connection. I only use 1GB per month on my cell phone because I use Wifi at home, this would completely destroy that idea. This is worse than any cell company, WISP, and satellite company I've ever come across.

Just another reason I dislike TWC.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

Who could have guessed?

The landline ISP bean counters have been wetting themselves over the wireless ISP pricing model for years, and have waited until the latter wore down customer resistance to the point where the former can bend everyone over enough to force pay per byte through. This is just their first volley of lies.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Hmmm

""It’s clear that one-size-fits-all pricing is not working for many consumers, particularly in a challenging economy," said Time Warner Cable's Gordon Harp, Regional Vice President of Operations in Texas in a press statement, adding that the new tier is designed "to meet the needs of consumers who want more price flexibility.""

Should read..."it's clear that one-size-fits-all is not working for US"

Anon2849

@comcast.net

They'll never give up on metered bandwidth pricing

It'll always just rear its ugly head in one form or another. Although this blatant pricing should be downright criminal from a major regional Cable ISP like TWC (Comcast being the other both probably in cahoots). It isn't even something that should be discussed, like murder, you should just know it's wrong and it's beyond sick. Essentially what they're doing is killing the Internet in there effort of greed and monopolistic practices.

They should feel ashamed of themselves. 5GB + $1 per GB if they go over when Tier 1 ISP's are offering $.02 per GB to guys like Comcast/TWC.

Shame.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

lettuce

let the service wither on the vine.. rather than be gouged.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Wow

How is this not a money grab?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Cheese

Re: Hmmm

said by Cheese:

Should read..."it's clear that one-size-fits-all is not working for US"

To make it even more clear it should read "it's clear that one-size-fits-all is not making us enough money"

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

depending on the base price...

... for some it may be a good deal.
As hard as it is for some people here to comprehend 25% don't care about higher speeds or massive downloads and use the internet in a minimal way (email, bill paying, occasinal lookups or shopping) so just like pay as you go cell services low cost serivce with a high per unit useage cost makes sense for them.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Skippy25

I was going to say something to that effect

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

Re: depending on the base price...

Not only this, but with the lower cap and lower pricing TWC is somewhere in the neighborhood of significantly slower AT&T DSL in these markets.

Also, last I checked, overages were capped at $25 per month. So you're paying between $5 less and $20 more per month vs. the unlimited plans.

To be honest, if TWC stopped offering unlimited plans and only offered Internet Essentials, with the $25 overage cap, I could live with that, because I could still get unlimited access, just at an inflated price compared to what they had before.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Or suppose they shifted it even more
say $25 for a 5 gb account and a $50 or $75 cap for a really high cap (I don't think you'll see true unlimited ever seriousley offered again, at least not using that term)
Anyway some plan that doesn't overcharge low end users (but still gets more people paying the base network/plant costs) and allows you to buy more consumption in chunks.
with more total users, TW makes the more money they want, and you pay for what you use with out HUGE overages or extremely low limits, everybody comes out better.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to DrData

Re: Lack of competition

Metered billing , or an across-the-board internet price hikes?. Metered billing please.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

TWC vs FIOS

In my area I happen to have FIOS but recently Verizon has priced themselves out of the market. FIOS now goes from 15/5 to 50/25, which is a huge gap. Even said the lowest internet only for 15/5 is an amazing $70/month. Now that is gouging.

I can get lite (DSL grade 3Mbs) for $20/month for a year ($40 regular price). Standard (10Mbps) is only $30/yr through TWC.

Maybe pricing is better than in other areas but I would hardly call that gouging.

In fact VZ already tried to jack my rates $30/month if I wanted to go from 25/25 to 50/25 which I told them no thanks. When my price lock is up in Jan I may very well pop over to TWC. Their cust service can't touch VZ but their price is like half, so maybe it's a deal.

The question is if 5 GB is there like Comcast poor intercity plan (which they are now in trouble for) is there to appease. It is. It's no deal. It's a honey pot. Look it up.

Bottom line, transit costs, Docsis 3 is LOWERING costs to all time lows but these guys are not satisfied and want to raise rates, add caps (which raises rates). In a normal competitive environment that would mean lower costs. So if the government can't figure out that raising rates (in some cases dramatically) in a situation where costs are going down (DRAMATICALLY), that is a perfect natural monopoly.

The FCC is useless because it's just a corporate front, and doesn't have regulative power.

I'm on the fence because regulation always leads to higher price and less choice, so it's bad too.

If the US was smart, treat the last mile like a utility, connect everyone to fibre, coax, or whitespace wifi and let the providers compete on transit, and publicly regulate the last mile. Problem solved.

It works. I can already choose my own provider of power or gas (I do) which costs less than the regulated supply and I also save in taxes.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

$5 is $5

While that's not enough to attract me over the uncapped rate, I know that fully half of my neighbors, relatives, inlaws, kinfolk, friends and associates would benefit from this offering. A lucky few have dirt-cheap dry-loop DSL circuits.

What's wrong with allowing the consumer to make up his own mind, rather than having the angry mob shout down and take away cheaper options, just because they disapprove of the concept?

This isn't about making overage bucks. Its pitching to the 30% of the customer base that doesn't spend their life online.

Its true, that over time, basic usage levels will rise, even for the 30%, but the ISPs will adjust their caps accordingly, to keep the business.

ASFSAD

@comcast.net
reply to DrData

Regardless how many providers there are, they have the same common goal. GREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to ITALIAN926

Congratulations: you get both

Wilsdom

reply to elefante72

Re: TWC vs FIOS

That $30/month for TWC is a promotional price. Compared to the normal rate of $60 for 10/1, $70 for 15/5 looks fine, though it's not cheap

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
reply to ITALIAN926

I'll take a price hike over metered billing ANY day.

Wilsdom

reply to elray

Re: $5 is $5

Well then you've been a dick for not telling them get DSL or even dialup, because they have no need for broadband. Really they could go without a connection and just make use of free public wifi...if they even need a computer

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

I wonder...

...how many people are actually signing up for metered "Internet Essentials?"

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

Metered billing , or an across-the-board internet price hikes?. Metered billing please.

this post and several others from you scream shill
--
my site

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY
reply to Skippy25

You beat me to that line.
Why is it that EVERYONE wants to just make more and more money, and nobody is looking out for the average Joe?
This is proving to me, more and more each day, that capitalism is unsustainable.
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Whose Laughing Now

I was ridiculed three years ago on this site by Time Warner (apparent) workers and lackeys that Time Warner would NEVER - under any circumstance - make users pay for overages. Now whose laughing? I left TW for Verizon, who is no better but a hell of a lot cheaper and three times the bandwidth, and never looked back. And now we have this... Time Warner wants you to pay to have the priviledge to pay even more for your broadband. I can't think of anyone - not even my long dead grandparents - who would use LESS than 5 GB a month. A DVD is 5 GB. Done till next month sweetie unless you want to PAY for more. Sweet deal.
--
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans - Woody Allen

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Wilsdom

Re: TWC vs FIOS

Thx. Who pays other than the promotional rate??? 10/1 retail is $54 in UNY, which is the same price I was paying in 1995 when I was living in Rochester... I don't remember the speed though, but it was way faster than dialup

I would have kept TWC but I called them one time about a letter I received on a new promo, and the rep said I wasn't paying enough and they wanted to raise my rate over $60 (I think I had turbo). That was that, and I went to FIOS. Now Verizon is jacking rates, so I go back to TWC.

At least I have choice, and you see how it benefits the consumer. In areas without such, I'm afraid they are at the mercy of ma hell.

You can have a can on string for $100 from Verizon tho..

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to boogi man

Shill, I use my net to browse the web, not download a Terrabyte of data due to streaming movies. My prices should increase due to what YOU do every month? Kiss it bro

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to elray

Re: $5 is $5

What incentive do they have to increase the caps? If there's no competition, why not just keep asking for more?

Where are they going to go?

The industry won't stop the caps, only the government can. And in order to do that, you need an FCC that isn't bought and paid for by the ISP's themselves.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48

Only 5GB a month?!

Are you serious, since when did landline become so constrained to only be able to get 5GB a month? Man Time Warner is STUPID to think people will be that stupid... Seriously if you're using 5GB a month or less on landline, the ONLY thing you're doing is maybe checking Facebook 5 times a week and looking at email... if that? Seriously TWC... Get a clue, and stop trying to rape your customers without lube......

Matt

P.S. Since this is my current provider, looks like I'll have to start shopping around, but the only thing in my area is U-verse, been there, supported that for about 3 years, won't go back FML.....
--
I am no longer an AT&T Employee. Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
Have U-verse questions? Please email uversecare@att.com and they will assist you!!

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Now you know why I want to make caps illegal, however, people just don't seem to care at the moment. When this takes affect and the average user find out, people will complain. Google.. bring it on

-Rob

innoman
-
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Dallas, TX
reply to ITALIAN926

Then pay less for a 1.5Mbit connection. Your price will increase regardless of what others are doing. I shouldn't have to pay $1/GB extra when TWC pays pennies for it.