dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-05 16:27:12: At the start of this year we noted how ViaSat's new 12 Mbps satellite service, well-hyped at CES, wasn't quite the revolution it was cracked up to be in the press. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

Wooooooooooooow

And sadly almost all CEO's of ISP's want to see this kind of pricing to access content on their pipes, are you kidding me? These people need to get over themselves, start kicking people off the network, and provide and actual good 100GB - 200GB per month service instead of just trying to add so many people that basically get nothing........

Matt

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

No suprises there

Satellite represents the worse possible economic model for broadband.
INCREDIBLE high sunk (ok launched) cost which means extremely expensive bandwidth, which must immediately be populated to the point (and beyond) of 100% plus overbooking at rates well above terrestrial competitors, and starts with "let me sell you a dish, and lock you into an expensive contract".
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

So for semi-real internet in rual areas

one needs

Excede 35 GB tier $220
HomeFusion 30 GB tier $120
Verizon data only plan for USB dongle. 30 GB for $200

So 95 GB for "only" $540 a month. Meanwhile those that just live a few miles away can pay $50 for 250 GB and higher speeds. That's fucked up.
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

Yep, but they've got these people by the balls. If they want any semblance of "high speed internet" then their options are limited until someone builds to them, or they move somewhere that is actually populated.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Pointless speed

They give you 12/3, then cap you so low that it's too expensive to use any services that need such speed.

Too bad people like me are stuck with these nuts.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

Gen4

Hopefully Hughesnet Echostar 17 will get successfully launched and in place for Gen4 to be implemented. Would love to tell Viasat what they can do with their service! They do have people over a barrel and I certainly hope other options (such as Gen4) become available so people can tell Viasat what they can do with Exede. Exede... 1,000,000 customer capacity...with no customers....lol.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: So for semi-real internet in rual areas

said by 88615298:

one needs

Excede 35 GB tier $220
HomeFusion 30 GB tier $120
Verizon data only plan for USB dongle. 30 GB for $200

So 95 GB for "only" $540 a month. Meanwhile those that just live a few miles away can pay $50 for 250 GB and higher speeds. That's fucked up.

But the high price is what eventually drives wireline providers to cover and area...once the population (potential customer) density reaches X and the cost per person for bandwidth equals Y it becomes practical to overbuild the existing low rate telephone system (it's still an overbuild even if the same company replaces/upgrades copper pairs with coax or fiber)

Satellite is a temporary stopgap for low density or remote areas (yes it is still remote even a few miles out of town)
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

paying out the a$$

Exede 12/25 subscriber myself.. The technology works quite well for me. I get well over the advertized up to 12Mbps with sometimes getting over 24Mbps.

But this pricing they have come up with is complete and utter BS!!

Who are these asshats at ViaSat that think 25GB or even 60GB after paying $370/Month is reasonable?!? $150 now for 25GB and an additional $220 for 35GB more?? WTF?!?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 88615298

to 88615298

Are you volunteering to start an ISP that offers something better than VZ+VZ=exede?

yep
@centurytel.net

yep to ExSatUser

Anon

to ExSatUser

Re: Gen4

Echostar is going to be less expensive? Probably not. Hopefully a little competition will help drive down cost but until the equipment, substations and the cost to build satellites drop the subscriber costs will continue to be undesirable. At least it is better then Dial-up and previous satellite based internet systems. Anyone that says different doesn't remember dial-up or hasn't had to deal with it.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

:O

I am so glad I pay 59$ for Time Warner's 50/5 uncapped.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to tshirt

to tshirt

Yeah, but, in most areas, the wireline providers are the phone company and the cable company. The phone company would be in the best position to build out into these areas, since they already have copper there, but Verizon and AT&T are already pushing wireless specifically because it's more profitable to do so. It's in their best interests not to extend wired broadband into those areas, since it would cut into their wireless business. As for the cable companies, most of them seem content to service the areas they have, only expanding into an area once it's turned into a densely-populated suburb. I once had a friend whose apartment building was only partially served by Knology, who was overbuilding the incumbent cable company. And when I say partially served, I mean that their service stopped at the apartment across the hall from him, and they absolutely refused to cross the hallway to reach his place. Not a large exterior landing or breezeway, but an interior hall, and a narrow one at that. If that isn't laziness, I don't know what is.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

It's blunt, but so true, now if we can just hear the news media start saying this over the air live to America's shock, maybe a lot of these problems will be fixed

Matt
mmay149q

mmay149q to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Are you volunteering to start an ISP that offers something better than VZ+VZ=exede?

If I could get the funding, I more than certainly would, but I'd also be the major stock holder, and if the other stock holders didn't like what I had to say about how the company is run I'd attempt to buy them out and replace them with non-douchebags...

Matt

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by mmay149q:

If I could get the funding, I more than certainly would, but I'd also be the major stock holder, and if the other stock holders didn't like what I had to say about how the company is run I'd attempt to buy them out and replace them with non-douchebags...

Matt

If you could get the funding? From where? A bank? And they would then own your butt. Guess what, people don't lend you money without expecting to be paid back and with interest. And they don't lend money without strings attached.

And the Venture Capitalists have even more strings than a bank.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

so wait...

if the expense of launching a bird into space results in $10/GB overage... what is the excuse the cellcos are using for $10/GB?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

If that isn't laziness, I don't know what is.

It could have been a legal aggrement with the building owner or only being allowed to "wrap" one side of a building. Hard to know without details.
As far as telcos pushing wireless, it's true it is easier, faster, cheaper and higher priced...which is part of the formula that will eventually make it worthwhile (profitable) for cable-other wrieline or other better technology to build out.
Cable companies very much want/need to build out into new markets IF they can see a positive return on it. existing markets are saturating on standard products (HSI,CATV ,VoIP) but nobody can afford to sink money into areas that will have a negetive return for the forseeable future weather it's low density or excess competition, or gov't price controls.
Any program that alters that balance temporarily (gov't incentive usually) may speed build outs, but will create other problems if the incentive ends before actual market forces reach the balance point. You can see the effect as Gov't begins to ease out of universal phone access leaving a telco plant that can't support operational costs let alone next gen upgrades.

It 'is time for gov't to consider how much cost shifting from profitable areas to unprofitable rural areas ratepayers can and will practially support over the VERY long term required to pay of newgen plants. and even more important does supporting current nextgen plant expandtion, potentially cripple upcoming possibly better solutions of 10's of years.
tshirt

1 recommendation

tshirt to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q
said by mmay149q:

... about how the company is run I'd attempt to buy them out and replace them with non-douchebags...

Matt

Or they might force you out and be a profitable and ongoing bunch of douchebags, but at least providing alternete service
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

HughesNet is better

I rather take Hughesnet IF i cant get cable/dsl/wisp in my area.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

Let

The Raping Begin
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by mmay149q:

Matt

If you could get the funding? From where? A bank? And they would then own your butt. Guess what, people don't lend you money without expecting to be paid back and with interest. And they don't lend money without strings attached.

And the Venture Capitalists have even more strings than a bank.

Yeah I already know that, and that's what negotiations are for while getting the funding, and etc, maybe negotiate a clause stating there will never caps on a hard line network, the network will be completely free and open with no traffic shaping for any one protocol should it be for or against the protocol.

And really, as much as I hate to say it (because I'd certainly hate for the ISP to fail) I'd hope that if I should get voted out, and this kind of mentality (horribly raping your customers when it makes no sense) became the norm for the company I helped build with that funding, that all the customers would leave and run them out of business, just like I wish consumers would do now, yes it would suck to not have internet for a while, but I literally wish there was a movement where people would just stop paying their bills/cancel their service with their ISP/TV plans for multiple months, that's the only way these investors and companies are going to learn to change their tactics...

See everyone believes the answer to these kind of crappy deals is to get the government involved because they always want to go the easy route without having to lose service or etc, but if American's would actually grow some balls and start cancelling their services immediately by the thousands until the company changed its position on the issue to something more consumer friendly (and continue doing this every time the company tried to implement the same thing in a different shiny new coat) most of the issues we face or gripe about today would be pretty much non-existant...

Anyway, it's not like I'd expect you or the real Mitt Romney to understand a free market if it slapped you in the face with a 2x4... in fact, it's supporters such as yourselves that have helped cause most of the problems we face today...

Matt

verizonlteda
@myvzw.com

verizonlteda to dib22

Anon

to dib22

Re: so wait...

LOL, there not birds so funny. They are SATELLITES, Birds would dies without our that far up.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by mmay149q:

... about how the company is run I'd attempt to buy them out and replace them with non-douchebags...

Matt

Or they might force you out and be a profitable and ongoing bunch of douchebags, but at least providing alternete service

It might put me in jail, but with the cash a CEO makes, hopefully I'd have enough money to run my own ad campaign offering customers a way out of the BS by me personally paying for their cancellation fee's and etc so the company completely fails... If the company can't compete and can't do it better than 90% of the other companies out there, it doesn't need to exist in my honest opinion...

Matt

P.S. Before you start telling me stuff like "I bet you'd say different once you had millions of dollars" I've turned down multiple jobs in the past offering double what I get paid currently because I didn't want to work in an atmosphere where I felt I needed to kill myself after 2 weeks of being there...

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I understand the dream of doing it better and cheaper too. but remember the CEO works for the stockholders under the direction of the board not the other way.
The CEO with the best envisioned plan on earth goes no where if hr/she can't convince that limited group that it is to the benefit of the investors.
Should you convince them the cost and risk is worth the PR and will benefit "the company" in the long term you will likely be allowed to proceed, FIOS as we know came from such a plan, technically brilliant, financially marginal so far, and somebody doesn't work there anymore.
tshirt

tshirt to verizonlteda

Premium Member

to verizonlteda

said by verizonlteda :

LOL, there not birds so funny. They are SATELLITES, Birds would dies without our that far up.

Not if they had a coconut full of air.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

I didn't say VZ+VZ=Excede. I said VZ+VZ+Excede=semi-normal internet.

Veriozn's Homefusion is better than Excede if you are comparing the two which I wasn't.

88615298 (banned) to Gandalf4503

to Gandalf4503
said by Gandalf4503:

Yep, but they've got these people by the balls. If they want any semblance of "high speed internet" then their options are limited until someone builds to them, or they move somewhere that is actually populated.

I'm not talking about some lone farmer out in the middle of nowhere. I am talking about people that live literally from a few feet to a couple of miles from CITY limits.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I understand the dream of doing it better and cheaper too. but remember the CEO works for the stockholders under the direction of the board not the other way.
The CEO with the best envisioned plan on earth goes no where if hr/she can't convince that limited group that it is to the benefit of the investors.
Should you convince them the cost and risk is worth the PR and will benefit "the company" in the long term you will likely be allowed to proceed, FIOS as we know came from such a plan, technically brilliant, financially marginal so far, and somebody doesn't work there anymore.

Yeah and I understand that, and as a CEO I'd be trying to sell the stockholders on ideas like our own equivalent to Netflix, or something else for generating revenue and ROI, I wouldn't be trying to limit my consumers choice and etc, and I'd hope in this situation that I also wouldn't be having to deal with also have a Cable/Satelite/etc TV network so I wouldn't have to worry about "Oh well I'm trying to do this over the internet so I can't do this, this or that because it will compete with my TV business"

Or maybe even I'd attempt to convince the investors that we should build or partner with someone to build an alternate to TV the traditional way over the internet that still provides ease of use and a nice remote to hook to the TV to compete with ourselves and everyone else, really the possibilities are endless when you really think about it.

Matt

verizonlteda
@myvzw.com

verizonlteda to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt

LOL.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

are they trying to incite violence??

the powers that be can't seem to get violence out of the people with the high costs of living or the attempt of gun control with the Fast & Furious fiasco.... So what's the next thing they try to do?? coming up with data packages to pissoff the rural public even more...

they better goddam watch it.... sooner or later someone is going to go ape$hit and start taking out these greedy CEOs and Board of Directors...
page: 1 · 2 · next