dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-11 10:56:04: Anonymous sources tell Reuters that the FCC is likely to approve Verizon's $3. ..

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

tmc8080

telecom with attitude, not in the good sense

reminds me of the clay quip.. sorry I only carry hundreds......
that is to say Verizon is only interested in triple digit revenue from each customer, otherwise.. beat it, ya poor bums..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -UK_zn3k
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

Broadband ISP's need a good dose of competition!

See my post under, Wireless Duopoly Pricing Collusion Is Just Good Fun.

If there was competition in the broadband internet access market the cost of a 50Mbps connection would probably be about $20.00 to $25.00 per month. Unfortunately the ISP's have learned how to manipulate lawmakers at the federal level so there is little hope for reasonable pricing for internet access.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Joy...

My guess is that this is getting rubber-stamped simply because there was no vocal opposition to it like there was with the AT&T-T-Mobile deal.

What could possibly go wrong? /s

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

2 recommendations

bdnhsv

Collusion

This is becoming a major problem. The cable companies are providing cellular backhaul for Verizon and now they are making this deal which will likely stop VZ from continuing any FIOS build out. So VZ will have cellular voice and data in shared markets and will also market the triple play of the MSO's. The MSO's will have their own triple play and will also market the cellular products of VZ. They might as well all be one big company and we'd be back to the 70's with Ma Bell.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: Joy...

Under no circumstances should Verizon be allowed to sell cable Wired Services within Verizons own WIRED footprint. Its Ludacris. This deal cant possibly go through without restrictions.

Verizon FiOS products / DSL / landlines compete with Cable co products. My oh my. It wont be lack of competition, it will be total abandonment !

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Not sure what the plans are within their wireline area. but the primary value is putting them back in the markets they abandoned and in those they didn't already have a presence in.
sure it's cellular but with strand mounted mico cells EVERYWHERE cable runs It fits the telco model, and the wifi model for light phone, tablet, and notebook mobility with cable providing video and big pipe services to the homes.

It's all the services everybody wants, wrapped in a single bill like everbody wanted, but NOW you don't like the combined Provider.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to pnh102

to pnh102
I'm for this deal, I see nothing wrong with two companies that have failed in one area get together and offer bundled services and prices.

Verizon failed in making FiOS ubiquitous to all their customers and the cableco failed in providing wireless services (triple play) to their subscribers so why not join forces?

AT&T's T-Mobile deal was a different thing they tried to swallow and destroy a smaller direct competitor the Verizon/cable deal is different as they complement each other.

This deal is similar to what AT&T did with DishNetwork and then DirecTV. If you want to bundle internet with DirecTV they will offer you AT&T internet services.
flycuban
join:2005-04-25
Homestead, FL

flycuban to bdnhsv

to bdnhsv

Re: Collusion

Bingo! This sucks big time... Comizon should be the new name....
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

VZ hasn't yet, has it? Why would VZ sell CATV in its FiOS markets? That would be a silly business proposition.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Here146;s what should have happened133;

The big three cable companies, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox, should have come together and purchased either Sprint or T-Mobile with each cable company owning a one-third steak. This way the cable industry would have a real quad play option and really come up with some innovative integration. I love bundling, but I think it’s retarded when you bundle services from more than one company.

Hamburger
@rr.com

Hamburger

Anon

How is this not a conflict?

So I can order Verizon copper Dialtone if available instead of Comcast VOIP service when getting this quadruple play? How is this not anti competitive?
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to Happydude32

to Happydude32

Re: Here146;s what should have happened133;

said by Happydude32:

The big three cable companies, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox, should have come together and purchased either Sprint or T-Mobile with each cable company owning a one-third steak. This way the cable industry would have a real quad play option and really come up with some innovative integration. I love bundling, but I think it’s retarded when you bundle services from more than one company.

IMHO That would have been an excellent approach, unfortunately that didn't happen and perhaps it will never happen.
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

just wondering...

how much did Verizon have to pay to the FCC to get the deal approved??

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Color me silly cause I've always thought there isn't much difference between Verizon FiOS TV & Cable TV especially since my brother in NJ has Comcast fed by fiber optic cable. WHAT?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Of course there isn't much difference between FiOS TV and Cable TV and that wasn't my point. Rather, I was suggesting that there's no business motive for VZ to resell cable TV services in its FiOS markets that TV franchise agreements exist.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

So, Verizon should sell their own products within their footprint, including DSL and landlines. Why? Because thats profitable, and sensible. Since we've established that, its also sensible for them to expand FiOS further into other towns/cities within their footprint? Why? Because thats profitable, and sensible.

So if you dont believe they wont sell Cable within their own footprint, then I guess when the DOJ attaches that restriction, Comcast, BH. TW, Verizon, wont fight it. We'll see.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

So, Verizon should sell their own products within their footprint, including DSL and landlines. Why?

Yes, because VZ will likely realize larger margins selling its products versus reselling those of other companies.
said by ITALIAN926:

Since we've established that, its also sensible for them to expand FiOS further into other towns/cities within their footprint? Why?

As I continue to suggest, I believe VZ will refocus efforts on its wireline services after ubiquitously deploying LTE infrastructure.
said by ITALIAN926:

So if you dont believe they wont sell Cable within their own footprint

I don't, and I haven't heard an argument yet the presents a legitimate business motive for VZ to resell a competitors services in its FiOS markets.