Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-11 13:10:35: Yet another in a long and annoying line of retransmission disputes between broadcasters and cable TV operators has resulted in DirecTV customers losing access to all Viacom channels since last night. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

I wonder

Why the distributors dont gather forces (DirectTV, Dish, TimeWarner, Comcast) and just say to Viacom "hey, this is the price we are going to give you, if you dont take it then you cant broadcast on any of us".

I feel like that might halt the yearly TV price increases, since so many comes from these channel distributors.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

Dispute resolved

Per Facebook post from DirecTV this is resolved. Channels are back.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to baineschile

Re: I wonder

Because is direct doesnt have them but its competitors do they may be able to snag a few customers.

Flibbetigibb

@lmco.com
reply to ke4pym

Re: Dispute resolved

Hah... glad I called DTV to beyotch earlier today. Snagged a nice billing credit for the next few months...

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Viacom Won't be missed....

With all the junk they show on TV... Good riddance to Viacom Channels and hello to more high quality HDTV channels.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

In the end, the customer loses

No matter which way this goes, the Customer will be the one who loses.

I also hope no DirecTV customers actually think their bills are going to go down now because of the lessened amount of available channels.

kaminar

@bellsouth.net
reply to ke4pym

no they did not..need to read it again. Viacom negotiations are still in progress. In the interim, go to »www.directvpromise.com for more info. DTV will open up all the Encore channels for customers through July 31.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Per Facebook post from DirecTV this is resolved. Channels are back.

As of this moment, the channels are not broadcasting on my boxes at home.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

Why the distributors dont gather forces (DirectTV, Dish, TimeWarner, Comcast) and just say to Viacom "hey, this is the price we are going to give you, if you dont take it then you cant broadcast on any of us".

Because if they got together as a group to decide that, they would be breaking the law.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and- ··· bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health ··· lth-care

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to ke4pym

In fact, looking at DirecTV's facebook site, there is nothing saying that the dispute has been resolved. The only thing I see is that they are giving people free access to Encore movie networks until July 31st in the meantime.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to FFH5

Oh yeah what law is that?

jmcgeejr

@frontiernet.net

So tired of the shite tv out there

They ask for more because people like the Kardashians need their 30 million per season for absolute junk...

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

Because it would be against the law......That's not to say that it would be great for consumers. Most laws and corporations are anti-consumer in the first place and made to protect the fabricated idea that money is something "real".

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Oh yeah what law is that?

A series of laws under category of anti-trust:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ··· rust_law
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixi ··· e_fixing

--

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

The only effective consumer ploy...

...would be a wide spread boycott cutoff DTV cashflow by canceling your account, spend the next couple months doing something different. If 25% or more of customer would do that they'd be begging you to come back by next week, offering huge discounts by fall.
Instead, you all act like crackheads, unable to pull yourself away from the dumbbox for even a week, let alone a couple months.
You deserve the poor treatment and constant price increases you get.

yourright870

@qwest.net
reply to Da Geek Kid

Re: Viacom Won't be missed....

I am also very happy DTV dropped Viacom and it's crap content. Viacom is the definition of greed and tosses it's weight around the entertainment industry, and it's good to see DTV stand up and tell them to "take a hike".

Go DTV...I support your actions!

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Re: The only effective consumer ploy...

How is boycotting DTV going to help the issue of the programmers (Viacom in this most recent case) demanding tons of increases for DTV to carry their channels. By switching to another provider who carries the channels, all you end up doing is giving more power to the networks to demand price increases, which the carrier (DTV in this case) will just have to turn around and add to your bill.

Your proposal does nothing to help the issue, and in fact, makes it even worse.

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Lancaster, CA
Reviews:
·Consolidated Sma..

How can distributors be allowed to just pull channels?

I'm curious about something technically. don't all national networks such as Nick, USA, TBS, and the like, originate on a C-band or KU-band satelite which all distributors be they satelite or cable then receive and rebroadcast to their customers? Assuming this is the case, why can't these providers just keep on broadcasting the channel? Can the provider itself somehow truly prevent the distributor from receiving the signal from the originating satelite? I suppose now that everything is digital this may be very possible. Finally can't consumers who may have a c-band or KU-band dish receive these channels directly from the content provider, just as the distributor would be doing? What would be the rate charged by the content provider to receive a given set of channels if say I had a dish and wanted to receive content that way? I don't know if there are very many consumers with the big dishes anymore, but I would think that would be one way of getting around all these carrier imposed messes. Just watch the content from the source signal.

hclarkjr

join:2002-08-09
Hostetter, PA
reply to ke4pym

channels are not back, i just checked

armed

join:2000-10-20
reply to baineschile

Because that would be against the law. Anti competition and all that. Companies cannot conspire together to control costs.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by baineschile:

Because if they got together as a group to decide that, they would be breaking the law.

Isnt Viacom breaking the law by using their powers of a monopoly and content owner to cut access to DTVs customers? Isnt that showing that they are a monopoly and are abusing their powers as a monopoly(to a point where they are now showing they need more regulation)

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by Chubbysumo:

said by FFH5:

said by baineschile:

Isnt Viacom breaking the law by using their powers of a monopoly and content owner to cut access to DTVs customers? Isnt that showing that they are a monopoly and are abusing their powers as a monopoly(to a point where they are now showing they need more regulation)

Someone could certainly try and prove that claim;including DOJ, state attorneys general; etc. But as there are 5 or 6 major content groups and scores of smaller ones, a monopoly would be hard to prove.

The fact that only Viacom sells a particular popular show or group of shows doesn't make for a monopolist.

--

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to kd6cae

Re: How can distributors be allowed to just pull channels?

They are called copyrights for a reason.

All the cable channels are encrypted on C Band. Even if it was legal to take their signals and redistribute them without the networks' permission the networks could just revoke the decryption keys they gave the providers. The cable companies would then have to break the encryption, violating even more laws.

Consumers can no longer practically receive most cable channels from C Band because the networks have moved away from a standard encryption system which allows for authorization to end consumers' receivers to multiple encryption methods not designed for home receivers. The hardware to decrypt these satellite distribution feeds costs thousands of dollars and networks only provide decryption information to cable companies, not home customers.

4DTV/Digicipher II is the last C Band encryption system designed for home users to be allowed to subscribe to it and it is dead now with fewer than 20,000 subscribers, a tiny selection of networks, and no HD channels.

The only thing C/Ku Band dishes are useful for anymore is free-to-air unencrypted content, or if you're some sort of super genius, private decryption of all the encrypted feeds. The piracy scene may have figured out how to do some of this but there is no encryption in use for satellite distribution right now that has had a method released to decrypt it publicly. Anyone who may have figured out how to crack the newer encryptions has learned their lesson from the last time cracks were made publicly available: everyone switched encryption to something even more complex and more difficult to crack.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to FFH5

Ha.. and what the content companies are doing is called "extortion"

Mikey

@charter.com
reply to kd6cae

Re: How can distributors be allowed to just pull channels?

said by kd6cae:

why can't these providers just keep on broadcasting the channel? Can the provider itself somehow truly prevent the distributor from receiving the signal from the originating satelite?

The satellite feeds are encrypted, and the companies that use them have to get their satellite receivers authorized by the programmers.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

Viacom...

Isn't that the network notorious for its really long commercial breaks? Comedy Central is the least offender, but when watching 90s Nick they squeeze as much as they can without going over the time slot. TVLand is seen extending time slots by 10 minutes for more commercials, and/or shorten a show to make room for more commercials.

What are they doing with all that advertising revenue..
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

$

consumers should stop feeding cable companies their hard hearned money! the slop they put on cable-tv these days isn't worth a rusty penny, let alone hundreds in fees, set-top rentals, taxes & surcharges, etc.

OTA and Internt can feed your video needs more cost effectively.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

A series of laws under category of anti-trust:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixi ··· e_fixing

Would price fixing apply here? I don't think I've ever heard of a group being charged with fixing prices for what they PAY for a service.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
It'd be like the consumers telling the oil companies what they'll pay for oil.

jeepwrang3

join:2011-02-24
North East, MD

1 recommendation

Viacom stinks

I really could care less about this one other than Comedy Central, and thats primarily for Workaholics and Tosh.0 which arent exactly making me a brighter person

I'd pay to not get MTV, what a total waste of space.