spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-11 13:10:35: Yet another in a long and annoying line of retransmission disputes between broadcasters and cable TV operators has resulted in DirecTV customers losing access to all Viacom channels since last night. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

Crp Chnnls

@cox.net

A New Day!

I've been bundled to death and I'm tired of paying for crap channels I don't want to get the content I do want. Go DirectTV!The only way they can survive as a service provider is to move to an on-demand programming model.

Remember the recording industry and their $13 crap CD's with one good song?

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

Viacom suspended online streams

Generally Viacom streams the previous month's worth of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report episodes from their websites. In their infinite wisdom they've decided to remove them during this carrier dispute.

On a hunch they'd only block the popular programs I checked South Park and Strangers with Candy. Sure enough, both still available. Didn't test others.

TDS & TCR are the only commercial USA television productions I've watched since AMC's 2010 Rubicon run. Was still working my way through late June's broadcasts. [grrr ]

»www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/
»www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/

krenn

join:2006-08-23
Somerset, PA
kudos:1

Re: Viacom suspended online streams

Viacom can go pound sand with snookie on the Jersey shore.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit
Click for full size
[please harrass DirecTV for us]
Viacom has restored the TDS & TCR streaming service on their site. I checked on a hunch because the two shows have been on summer vacation which ended today and Viacom has (rightly) been taking a PR beating over using viewers as negotiation fodder. I'm guessing Hulu carriage is (or soon will be) back too but I didn't check it.

Not that Viacom doesn't still want you as their bargaining pawn (image).

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS

Canceling...

I've been planning to drop DirecTV for a year now, but my contract isn't up until October. This may just be what I need to get out of it...

And it really does affect me, as well. Two of my most watched programs are The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on Comedy Central.

And Viacom is smart--they normally put all of their full episodes available online. But if you go to their respective websites right now, they have temporarily pulled all full episodes, presumably to further piss off customers at DirecTV.
iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

Re: Canceling...

said by brandon:

I've been planning to drop DirecTV for a year now, but my contract isn't up until October. This may just be what I need to get out of it...

And it really does affect me, as well. Two of my most watched programs are The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on Comedy Central.

And Viacom is smart--they normally put all of their full episodes available online. But if you go to their respective websites right now, they have temporarily pulled all full episodes, presumably to further piss off customers at DirecTV.

you'd rather go with a provider that caves in easily to a 30% increase?? SHEESH!.

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS

Re: Canceling...

said by iknow:

said by brandon:

you'd rather go with a provider that caves in easily to a 30% increase?? SHEESH!.

Actually, planning to cut the cord entirely.

M1M1

@sbcglobal.net

WHY Does DirecTV have to pay in the first place???

I really don't understand why DirecTV (or anyone) has to PAY to rebroadcast the channel... these are not commercial free premium channels, Viacom gets advertiser $$ already and makes MORE when they have a bigger audience. It seems logically that Viacom should be paying DirecTV!
jeff17

join:2000-12-11
US

Big deal.

The reality of this story is: so what? Channels will come and go, no one will cancel because they lose a few channels. And the programming will eventually come back.

People feel entitled to receive this content for some reason - your contract with DirecTV probably doesn't state any guarantee for channels.

RF37

@mchsi.com

To the torrents!

Go ahead big TV....turn us all into pirates!

Exploited

@comcast.net

It's time for Consumer Revolt

It is time for a consumer revolt against the media monopoly conglomerates who have run greedily amuck and functionally unregulated for years. We ought to bombard congress and the FCC with complaints and appeals to legislate and enforce consumer protections against runaway prices, outrageous service termination fees, and shady business practices.
tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

The answer isnt more laws.

The answer isn't more laws, the answer is exactly what directv is doing. Let Viacom go, the amounts of money they expect are ridiculous and we shouldn't have to pay them. I don't understand why people are willing to just keep coming out of their pockets for these garbage increases in price as the quality of content continues to get worse.
WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

Glad I have Dish

Dish has all the channels I need, plus the best DVR equipement (I have 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys!!) I can still watch AMC with the free Roku Dish gave me, PLUS they took off $10 a month for 12 months. Dish has my local RSN, and I have locals, so that covers my sports needs.

Ahhh .

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX

Direct TV supports Cable Choice

When reading about the Viacom - Direct TV Dispute in the Wall Street Journal the other day, what I enjoyed most was the part where Direct TV argued that:

quote:
Viewers should have the choice to pay only for the networks they watch.

--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! !
stuuby39

join:2012-07-16
De Witt, AR

You are correct

Yeah. I watched that repeating ad he was feeding the bull. The CEO of DirecTv, Mike White, said in an ad that we shouldn't have to pay ViaCom for shows that we don't watch or care about. What the hell is DirecTv doing? The same damn thing. He is a hyprocrite. I pay for over 250 channels but only watch about 10 of them. I only want to pay for what I watch. So he gives people all Encore channels and a few more channels, which I already get in my package. Television is going to have to change or more people are going to discontinue services and just watch videos, Netflix or just screw tv and all the providers will go downhill. We have DirecTv, Dish Network or cable. Talk about price fixing.