spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-17 12:42:24: For some time AT&T has blocked Apple's Facetime over cellular connections due to the significant traffic load the service would create, but now finally appears ready to release the flood gates for iPhone users. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The double-dip

I love how carriers want not only to charge you for how much data you use, but on top of that, charge extra for using portions of that data in certain ways.

However, I do have to admit that the throughput on AT&T's network around here is so bad that the thought of a whole ton of people doing Facetime over 3G doesn't exactly instill confidence. I'm sure it'd work fine in Plano, though, where I routinely see seven times the speed that I do in Frisco for whatever reason.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

georgeglass5

join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

This is no surprise

Would you really expect anything less from AT&T? Then again this be like getting charge more for putting my chocolate in my girlfriends peanut butter... So glad I dumped them for sprint years ago, absolutely no regrets here.

exocet_cm
You see, but you do not observe
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Jailbreak, Jailbreak, Jailbreak

No need to pay for crap you already pay for. Free for jailbroken phones.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

speculation

Of course Karl has NO IDEA and is purely speculating the double charging. AT&T may not count Facetime as data, instead deciding to classify it as a special type of minutes or something. It may work out CHEAPER than if it was counted as data, who knows?

And yes, the capability is there to classify traffic. Already done with MMS, it runs over the same APN but isn't counted.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

The point is that data discrimination blows when it affects your bill in any way. AT&T won't ever get a dime from me.

en103

join:2011-05-02

Why use Facetime when...

You can use Skype, and not limit yourself to an Apple product.

Eg. I can Skype (for free) between iPhone, Mac, PC, Android, Linux, Wind0z, and probably even Windows Phone.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to meowmeow

Re: speculation

said by meowmeow:

Of course Karl has NO IDEA and is purely speculating the double charging.

FaceTime in iOS 6 can go over cellular, but iPhones on AT&T get the attached screenshot. How lovely of AT&T. They already sell me 3GB of data, if AT&T require me to pay for another bundle of data to use FaceTime over cellular then that really is double charging.

However, I imagine AT&T will offer us FaceTime data packages that don't count against our 3GB limit.
--
less talk, more music

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

wonder

I wonder how much rape the telecoms can give us until there is an indention on the desk they bend us over at?

Seriously ATT? Wish we had leadership with balls again.. I would issue a splitup or serious regulation of this kinda crap... Charging for data was barely justified as is.. Now they will charge you depending on how you use the data? Hell.

Verizon's share plan offers unlimited text, which many will do the happy dance etc, but what they fail to see is that alotta phones use data for texting now Your still paying for it. Thankfully texting eats very little data.

Timo JJ

@ecatel.net
reply to meowmeow

The AT&T-only iOS notification indicates pretty clearly to me that AT&T's getting ready to do what AT&T does best. Not sure what has your panties in a bunch.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to meowmeow

Of course meowmeow See Profile has to bash Karl without even reding the f'in article!

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to en103

Re: Why use Facetime when...

The same reason people use Internet Explorer: it's the default application. Apple includes it with their products, so people don't have to download any new software.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

AT&T's network is sub-par

The problem is AT&T's network is piss poor and they know it. Allowing free, unlimited Facetime on apple products will cause their network to crumble to the ground. This is a way to kill two birds with one stone: allow the service but make people pay for it. In other words, limit usage to only those willing to shell out for what should be included by default. Gotta love AT&T.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to decifal

Re: wonder

said by decifal:

Wish we had leadership with balls again.. I would issue a splitup or serious regulation of this kinda crap...

Oh, you mean the regulation that only allowed Bell owned telephones on your home, which were rented from the phone company each month? And idiotic toll calling tariffs that even today are still a pain for business users to deal with?

Yeah, that would be fantastic.

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Seattle, WA

Actually, it was regulation that stopped the monopoly and it's consequences in the '80s that you're talking about.

hyphenated

@mycingular.net
reply to banditws6

Re: The double-dip

Double? I guess in theory it could be triple or more if you're using the mcell. This is funny.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to exocet_cm

Re: Jailbreak, Jailbreak, Jailbreak

said by exocet_cm:

If I remember it correctly, AT&T was cracking down on those who were tethering without paying for the "privilege", even those on tiered plans. I think most of these were people with jailbroken iPhones. Chances are that they will probably do the same for FaceTime over 3G if they force people to pay for this "privilege" as well.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

nanaki333

join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

buckets of facetime

i can see at&t trying to sell buckets of facetime minutes. start charging the same as voice minutes. give users something like 500 facetime minutes for $15/month. implying that facetime is completely different than data.

hyphenated

@mycingular.net

Cost

Soon they'll be charging a "toll fee" for every router the packets pass through.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

How Appropriate...

AT&T has never done anything to save a customer money. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the Deathstar.

What's more interesting though is how everyone is calling it FaceTime over 3G....

It's a virtual certainty that the new iPhone this fall will be LTE capable.

If AT&T actually bothered to deploy a real 4G network, not this faux G crap they have or the EDGE that pops up everywhere, but actually invested beyond the 47 "so called" LTE markets in some attempt to catch Verizon which has over 300 and climbing, then we'd be calling it FaceTime over 4G or FaceTime over LTE.

I think AT&T's BS with this is going to push a lot of folks to Sprint. Sprint's LTE network has arrived just in time...

Go Sprint Go!
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL

Ha, I called it..

»Re: [iPhone] Facetime over cellular

said by Rob:

I'm waiting for AT&T and the likes to start offering a "Facetime Data Package" for an additional monthly service. No FT Data plan, no over 3G/4G Facetime.

--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Steve B

Err no. AT&T operated as a regulated monopoly for decades. I'm talking about my grandma who paid a fortune from the 50s on for the single rotary dial phone that she rented from Ma Bell (AT&T), every single month. Until the 80s, thanks to government regulation, you would either pay the going rate for long distance and everything else, or do without.

DE-regulation is what allowed for the long distance wars of the 80s and CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) to compete with the baby Bells after the break up of Ma Bell.

exocet_cm
You see, but you do not observe
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to Pirate515

said by Pirate515:

said by exocet_cm:

If I remember it correctly, AT&T was cracking down on those who were tethering without paying for the "privilege", even those on tiered plans. I think most of these were people with jailbroken iPhones. Chances are that they will probably do the same for FaceTime over 3G if they force people to pay for this "privilege" as well.

If it gets used a lot then AT&T takes notice. The occasional user is overlooked.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

said by exocet_cm:

If it gets used a lot then AT&T takes notice. The occasional user is overlooked.

I thought that they were looking for specific data patterns generated by common "workarounds" available for jailbroken phones, not only high data usage. As far as high data usage goes, they now cap those who are still on unlimited plans (after 3 GB I believe).
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Why not?

If you want to use it, why aren't you willing to pay for it?

Why should the rest of us subsidize your vanity?

gballer

@reyrey.net
reply to meowmeow

LTR!!

Expand your moderator at work

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Duluth, GA
reply to Pirate515

They do what? How do they cap an unlimited plan?
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

gballer

@reyrey.net

awesome!!

this is a good plan! hopefully soon we can pay seperate for everything...

Skype usage fee
Facebook usage fee
3rd party chat/text usage fee
Youtube usage fee

so on and so on!

sign me up!

gballer

@reyrey.net
reply to elray

Re: Why not?

im totally with you..

why should we pay for those other douchers? I dont care if you are paying for a data plan! can you believe these people who buy a data plan actually think they should be able to use that data for whatever they want?

what you're using that data for is now important and if you're going to facebook or some place with pictures whatever then you need to pay more...dont be trying to get stuff off my dime..!!

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Duluth, GA
reply to jester121

You are correct, but also leaving out that deregulation also allowed the reintegration of the baby bells back into Ma Bell and here we are back where we started, except this time the industry is deregulated and we are fucked.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp