spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-20 08:44:49: Over the years several communities have gotten upset about the AT&T VRAD cabinets required to deliver the company's U-Verse FTTN/VDSL service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

If the Future is Wireless?

Will these cabinets will be unsightly rust-buckets in 20 years?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

3 recommendations

said by rradina:

Nope. They'll be unsightly graffiti ridden rust-buckets in 5 years.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

Simple Solution to SA Residents..

Simple solution is to not subscribe to any of AT&T's services that are delivered from the VRAD cabinets.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

AT&T won when city cut deal; NIMBY groups always lose

AT&T won their case when they cut a deal with the city. The NIMBY groups only win when they are rich and the company they want to beat isn't and when a long drawn out legal fight is too expensive. AT&T has enough money to beat back NIMBY groups in court and fight over the long haul.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Rob

Re: Simple Solution to SA Residents..

said by Rob:

Simple solution is to not subscribe to any of AT&T's services that are delivered from the VRAD cabinets.

So then you'll have a large, ugly refrigerator-sized cabinet in your yard that is going completely unused. It's not quite cutting off your nose to spite the face, but it's not too far off.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by cdru:

said by Rob:

So then you'll have a large, ugly refrigerator-sized cabinet in your yard that is going completely unused. It's not quite cutting off your nose to spite the face, but it's not too far off.

How long would AT&T keep a VRAD activated if the cost of maintaining it exceeded any revenue?
--

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

said by Rob:

said by cdru:

said by Rob:

How long would AT&T keep a VRAD activated if the cost of maintaining it exceeded any revenue?

Until the sun explodes.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

We're talking about AT&T here. If they can't purchase the sun, they'll destroy it themselves before it explodes.
--

milkman82

join:2006-06-19
Lakewood, OH
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

WOW!

Is AT&T still using cabinets like those in the picture?

Those style cabinets got replaced in my old town with one about half that size and more square. They actually are small enough to where you don't really notice them or care about them....

Also in the case where they are on peoples tree lawns. Didn't they have some kinda box there before these and also would the city carry some blame for allowing that to happen?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

If the VRAD is replacing the legacy copper POTS, essentially forever until something else comes along.

I don't see them removing the VRAD if subscription rates did not make them effectively viable to run. I do see them stripping them of most/all equipment and just leaving a large metal shell sitting there if/when such a time comes.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

Why not do this instead?

»www.wimp.com/invisiblemercedes/

If they can do it on a moving car, I'm pretty sure they could do it on a stationary box.

Shad0wlore
Premium
join:2004-06-15
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T (Business S..
·Charter
reply to milkman82

Re: WOW!

I was actually wondering that myself. Ours are small boxes mounted on every 5th or 8th pole and are about 2.5ftx3ft... was one of the local requirements to do it. They can't put as many subs into each, but in return, they were allowed to attach them to nearly every pole.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:2
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

said by cdru:

said by Rob:

They MAY shut it down at some point if it proves to be a financial failure. (Looking at other U-verse markets though, not likely going to be the case). But they still won't be removing it, as removing it costs MORE money. They will just grab the equipment out, and leave the metal shell, bolted and all into the concrete, sitting where it is sitting.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to milkman82

said by milkman82:

Is AT&T still using cabinets like those in the picture?

No, that just Karl's favorite "obtrusive telco cabinet" picture.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:2
reply to milkman82

The could just use fiber.... the FIOS cabinets are 5 times smaller, and mounted on poles. But noooooo, AT&T thinks copper is the future!
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Rob

said by Rob:

We're talking about AT&T here. If they can't purchase the sun, they'll destroy it themselves before it explodes.

Nah, they will decide that purchasing the sun isn't worth doing, and fund a "grass-roots" movement to promote legislation preventing anyone else from purchasing or using it.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

I thought...

I thought that the U-Verse expansion was over and that AT&T wasn't going to offer it in any new markets. So why would they need to install any new VRADs?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Rob

Decades. I was in an AT&T tandem a few months ago and they had rows of gear in the CLEC colo area that was powered up doing nothing. According to one of the AT&T techs I know that gear has not been used since the mid 90s. I asked why it was still running and he said that no one has ever issued a ticket to remove or power down the gear so it wasn't anything he was going to worry about.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

AZ_OGM

join:2007-01-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Rob

I thought a read a while back that the death star stopped deploying u-verse (same with VZ for Fios) and those that were eligible could get it; the rest were too bad, so sad.

sam64

join:2006-07-31
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mob

Re: Why not do this instead?

Pretty neat!
They should be able to do something with the stationary cabinets but then you would have to deal with all the lawsuits stemming from the idiots who run into them because they were so "invisible".

There is no easy solution. I have seen it countless number of times when people complain about poor cell signals but will fight tooth and nail to the new tower that is being put up in their community. There has to be some give and take.

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Camelot One

They'll probably fight tooth and nail - fund a grass-roots movement, and after they decide that its not profitable, go and sell it to a mom/pop landline carrier (Frontier) for a tidy profit, and claim it as a tax loss, and compete with it using wireless.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to mob

said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

..or the VRAD does.

AZ_OGM

join:2007-01-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to mob

I agree, if they can use "suburban camouflage" to hide cell phone towers, why not VRADS?

Teaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to milkman82

Agreed- I've got U-verse in my neighborhood and the cabinets are no where near the size of those pictured. Either the Deathstar is deploying something different in "Babylon-by-the Bay" or the plaintiffs are using old information. That aside- I'd love to them them deploy these "refer" boxes on Lombard St (the part that winds back and forth) or in St Andrews area or any of the other wealthy neighborhoods. Not a chance is my guess-The money will make sure that no VRAD is in front of their home-it'll be down underground. I also predict that the metal cabinets will be useless in 3-5 years due to urine damage, graffiti and fecal contamination

Chute em

@lmco.com

Why not....

pull a gun on them when they come to install like the woman did when the electric company tried to install a smart meter on her house?

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Jim Kirk

said by Jim Kirk:

said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

..or the VRAD does.

Hey now, only a few VRADs have exploded so far.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10
reply to AZ_OGM

said by AZ_OGM:

I agree, if they can use "suburban camouflage" to hide cell phone towers, why not VRADS?

For starters, that "suburban camouflage" is either mandated by the government (local or state law) or agreed to as a condition to put up the tower; the companies don't do it because they want to.

Besides, it's free advertising when people start asking why those big honkin' boxes are getting planted all over the place.

/M

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

i have uverser

Its always stable and fast, it rarely slows down. Don't have TV so can't comment on IP TV, but the internet product is decent.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

reply to rradina

Re: If the Future is Wireless?

said by rradina:

Who said The Future was Wireless? Granted for certain applications Wireless is better, but The Future is FTTH. Only with Fiber can you expect Solid, Consistent HD Streaming, and all the other Voice and Data Demands!

Arty50
Premium
join:2003-10-04

Meh

This is potentially good news for Sonic, who submitted a permit to run FTTH through most of SF. I wish AT&T luck trying to pit U-Verse against Sonic's 100M/100M and 1G/1G offerings.