spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-20 08:45:24: Verizon is again saying FiOS rate hikes are on the horizon. Back in May Verizon CFO Fran Shammo promised that FiOS users would be seeing a number of significant price hikes. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

Rate Hikes

Seems like Verizon is taking a page out of the cable company's book of rate hikes.
Read a e-mail this morning from Verizon showing a profit from both the wireless and landline side.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

I will be staying on my 2 year contact long as possible.

FloridaBoy

join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL
reply to TrainBuff

If I may ask, what was the profit on the wireline side?? It couldnt have been much with an overall decline in revenue on that side of their house.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Some ask why people choose cable over Fios

Some people ask why would anyone ever choose cable over Fios if they have that choice.

And the ever increasing Fios prices(going up even faster than cable) is one of the reasons. Another is the never ending grief of dealing with the Verizon billing system, which seems to take months to correct even minor errors.

Also because on the internet side people found that they didn't need or want the higher priced higher speed Fios offerings. And also the fact cable companies have cut very good bundle deals for their customers when Fios is an option for those customers.

I know a few people who have successfully leveraged very good deals from Comcast by threatening to go to Fios.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to brianiscool

Re: Rate Hikes

said by brianiscool:

I will be staying on my 2 year contact long as possible.

»Re: Watching this closely..

What!? Verizon does have FiOS contracts then!

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

I pay $105 after tax. 35/35 internet, Prime HD, unlimited local and long distance , dvd and second SD receiver.

malletto

join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

They caused the lack of subscribers by stopping expansion

I would think the slowdown in subscribers is because they aren't expanding anymore. If they aren't expanding then there isn't even an option for new people to sign up. They basically limit their maximum subscriber pool all by themselves.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online
reply to FFH

Re: Some ask why people choose cable over Fios

Agreed! Back to OOL I went.. more than enough for me .... Price is King and the PQ is not that bad..
Fios is better! I have 2 college tuition's coming up( plus mine for my Masters) have not had a raise in 4 years .. etc etc ...
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online

They want to lose biz?

Seems they are pushing people away.... 2 friends did surprisingly 2 small businesses that I frequent went back to TWC and CV.
just an observation...
Lee
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to TrainBuff

Interestingly enough Verizon added some "charges" to my account which never existed before under the guise of taxes. It raised my cost $6/mo.

I looked at mt 3CC last month and we "recorded" a total of 9 hours of non-OTA viewing, so do I really need to pay $50 for cable...No

It's gone.

For just internet $70, too much. So TWC keeps sending me fliers for $30 for internet, so it's looking really good.

FloridaBoy

Bradenton, FL
reply to FFH

Mitt, I agree with you and Harley. I just cant see how raising prices on an already expensive product helps them. Peopl are watching their money too closely these days for that to help them.

Of course, then the conspiracies come out and maybe this is what they want to happen. Probably not but you never know.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

Raise prices?

So maybe the last round of hikes turned people off as to expensive so what to do? Lets raise them even more.Sounds like bhell Canada

anONymousus

@verizon.net

F Verizon

Yet another reminder verizon = greed and arrogance. Friends don't let friends use verizon.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to somms

Verizon has long-term agreement plans, but in many areas, they also offer month-to-month agreement plans.

In NYC, the only difference between a long-term agreement plan and a month-to-month agreement plan is that you get a 2-year bundle discount instead of a 1-year bundle discount.

ADSF

@comcast.net

Rate Hike goes up as subscribers bailing out

GREED!

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to FFH

For me, my FiOS rate has actually gone down in recent months. Mainly because I lucked into a sweet promo deal, but still...

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

As a VZ Investor

This is very bad....

You are already considered the most expensive option and instead of competing on price you raise prices. WTF? That makes no sense when I can go to Comcast just about any day of the week and get roughly the same service for roughly less money...

As in investor I want you to build FIOS out to everyone you can, market the hell out of it, make it affordable and then we all will make money. Sadly this requires a long term view and that's something Wall Street doesn't understand. Show me quarters of steady profits and expanding marketshare as that's what builds solid business that endures.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to malletto

Re: They caused the lack of subscribers by stopping expansion

They're also facing surprisingly stiff opposition from the likes of Comcast, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable, who are all ramping up internet speeds, offering crazy intro bundle deals and providing as many value-adds as they can to stop customers from leaving or win them back.

As good as FiOS Internet is, frankly that's the only real differentiator they've got. Their TV product is not all that amazing and their phone product is not much better than standard POTS.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to somms

Yes, you can choose to sign a contract for fios in order to lock down a lower price and avoid these rate hikes, but they aren't required. You can opt for contract-free fios, but it may cost a little more in the long run.

I myself signed a contract in order to avoid any rate hikes, at least for 2 years.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
reply to malletto

Yep. When your neighbor 100 feet away can get FiOS, and you can't (and never will), that is just terrible advertising.

Adding on top that it is more expensive is a huge turn off.

This tech is supposed to be cheaper than cable is, but since telcos don't want to be billed like utilities yet want to be treated like them, this bullshit spawns this price gouging model.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to malletto

Maybe in new markets but they are expanding in some current markets.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to FFH

Verizon has really cleaned up it's billing, I've been on fios for a year and a half, I've changed tiers once or twice and never had a billing problem.

Also my speeds are much more consistent than Cablevision and PQ is better, as well as the dvr hardware itself being much better.

I pay less for FIOS than I was paying cablevision. with a quadruple play, 1 dvr and two hd boxes.
Price still seems to be a toss up, depending on what promotions you sign on to. I never pay full price for cable or fios I leverage each against each other for the lowest price.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
reply to FFH

LOL cable price gouges, too. Karl knocks on them every single year.

In the end, the customers lose thanks to deregulation.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to FFH

This suggests that Google Fiber may not do so well in KC - there is no evidence to date to indicate they've "innovated" any significant cost-savings that would result in lower monthly costs. They're going to be in for a big surprise if they think Mom is going to spend $70/month for internet.

Likewise for Sonic, though they appear to be cherry-picking their first FTTH zones to assure uptake. When they move beyond the dotcom geek households, they'd better be prepared to offer an "economy tier".

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

As good as FiOS Internet is, frankly that's the only real differentiator they've got. Their TV product is not all that amazing and their phone product is not much better than standard POTS.

How is the phone product "better" than standard POTS? Standard POTS doesn't rely on power being available at the customer premises.

mamisano

join:2002-06-18
East Northport, NY

Backwards thinking?

I don't get it. They are claiming lower than expected subscriptions. So what do they do? That's right, increase prices.

Great way to attract new customers and retain current ones!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
reply to FFH

Verizon had better be careful, or they might price themselves out of what is an all ready competitive market.

I currently have Fios Internet. No other service. I suspended the TV when I lost my second job, and haven't had home phone for a while now.

The only thing I really watch on "live" TV is the local news and a baseball game from time to time. I'm doing just fine with Netflix streaming to my TV for 8 bucks a month.

Since I've essentially replaced my cable subscription with the Nexflix subscription. I bought one of those newfangled net enabled TV's back when hurricane Irene sent a lightning bolt my way last year & blew out half the electronics in my home.

So for now, I'll stick with Fios. I have never had billing issues with Verizon, and have no complaint in that department. So long as I'm using Netflix for my TV I will still pay a few bucks more to avoid late afternoon congestion & caps.

For now...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ptrowski

The are "fulfilling franchise agreements" where it suits them. They are not doing any new expansion. I hear every other day how NJ was supposed to be 100% wired and VZ is cobbling stuff together to get at those metrics and never intended to wire NJ 100% with fiber. On top of that they were getting government $$$ and breaks from NJ, and nobody calls them out. Manhattan isn't doing much better.

On top of this, record profits, and every other day Shammo comes out brazenly saying, FU we are going to raise rates everywhere, and when we are done, we are going to do it again.

Cable w/ Docsis 3 is competitive and can handle 99$ and while their 3 play bundles are me too, their internet-only deals are 50% less than verizon.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Price Increases

When I moved last year I was over the moon to finally live where FiOS was available. Having to be stuck with Time Warner and their crappy 15/1 triple service for 165.00/month it was great to get away from them for the 35/35 FiOS triple month-by-month 135.00. Now, a year later, my bill at the end of this month will probably be around 170.00. Every single aspect of my service has gone up. When I called about changing my service there was nothing I could do to reduce my bill. If I went for a contract... my price would go up. Drop the phone... price stays the same. Guess what? Verizon - in less than a year - has priced themselves past Time Warner.

Now I have to change my service again because I can't absorb all these goddamn increases. Fuck!
--
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans - Woody Allen

FloridaBoy

Bradenton, FL
reply to elray

I would think not having a large workforce and also not having to run two networks to the same house would help out there some elray.