dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-24 18:49:36: Several users have written in to note that Amazon has started imposing a cap on the amount of data users can consume while browsing using some Kindle models. ..

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Interesting

With the exception of those who wish to subject themselves to the horror of attempting to browse a website on an e-ink device, and those who have been (ab)using their Kindle's (and violating the EULA and TOS) for effectively free 3g tethering, I can't imagine who this might negatively affect.

That said, while I think 50MB is somewhat laughable, It was a service created with the intention of allowing users to download e-books. I'm guessing the e-ink compatible ones don't really go that high in size (maybe one megabyte max?). I'm also guessing that this cap only affects general browsing (as it says it doesn't affect the amazon website, wikipedia, or the kindle store), and doesn't limit the amount a user is able to download on a 3G connection.

So, considering the application, I'm oddly okay with this.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

Good

Good there is no free lunch
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

brianiscool

hah

It was a matter of time when someone would abuse it.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Hackers killing off a nice feature - surprised??

I owned an old Kindle and the experimental browser was so bad that reaching a 50MB cap would have been painful to do. But if people hacked it so that a laptop or smartphone browser could get 3G access, then that would make it much easier to use frequently. Amazon always had that 50MB cap, but if hackers were using it for large amounts of data transfer, then I can see why Amazon is capping and also getting rid of it. Their deal with Sprint & then AT&T makes them pay based on how much data is being used. Hackers would make those deals very unprofitable for Amazon to maintain 3G access without charging the Kindle users for the data used.
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow

Hmmm...

There goes one of my main uses for my Kindle, free international web browsing with no roaming charges... Or not, 50MB still is good to quickly get gmail when you land at an airport in a new country before you get a local SIM and the like... and given HOW PAINFUL it is to use, I doubt it'll ever get used for more.

Also, it seems unfair of Karl (who we well know hates AT&T) to pin this one at all on AT&T, Amazon is an MVNO, they decide what they'll pay for. AT&T has no involvement in that pricing decision at all. Unless they raised the rate they charge Amazon, forcing Amazon's hand on such a cap.
meowmeow

meowmeow to 90115534

to 90115534

Re: Good

Not free at all, it's supposed to be paid for by the stuff I buy on Amazon while using it. I'm a little ticked Amazon changed the rules of the game, but not surprised given the Kindle Touch has never allowed you to use the 3G for anything except Wikipedia and buying Amazon content...

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Hackers killing off a nice feature - surprised??

Charging by how much data you use makes no sense.
If they actually charged by data used then internet would cost pennies a month.
What they do is charge you a usage fee that is 1000s of times more than what your usage actually costs.
Because the way the costs are, internet should always be a per connection fee not a usage fee. It should always be unlimited.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller to meowmeow

to meowmeow

Re: Hmmm...

no, ATT has been raising its wholesale rates against MVNOs so they are forced to do this. wholesale rates should be regulated, otherwise ATT will be a monopolistic kingmaker among the MVNOs.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Although it makes no sense it is a for profit company so at the end of the day they should be allowed to charge you what ever they see fit. We are not forced to purchase any products (unlike healthcare) so let people speak with their wallets.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller

Really? You have a source for this? Amazon isn't an MVNO, either.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru

Broadband ISPs have been built off government subsidies.
In most places they are a monopoly or at most a duopoly.
The actively block competition into their market.
They dont get a right to take advantage and charge whatever they want.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

"Broadband ISPs have been built off government subsidies."

There is your problem.
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow to Mizzat

to Mizzat

How the heck is Amazon not an MVNO by your logic?

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

said by meowmeow:

How the heck is Amazon not an MVNO by your logic?

MVNOs sell mobile service as their business. Amazon sells devices. Inside the carrier, they are two separate things, although similar. Amazon is an M2M operator.
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow

Hmmm, I dunno what AT&T classifies them as internally, you may well be right, but to the user, they're functioning as an MVNO. They're selling AT&T service on the Kindle. M2M in my eyes is more like, say, a device to track a truck driver, or an alarm system - things with no user interaction. Not a device you use to browse the web and buy content on. But yes, I could see AT&T etc classifying it as M2M use, which is probably how Amazon can afford to offer it.