dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-26 14:24:38: Google today finally took the wraps off of their 1 Gbps Google Fiber deployment in Kansas City, holding a press conference this morning at one of their new regional NOCs to finally give us some hard details. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

1 edit

daake07

Google you could have done a better presentation.

I don't know about everyone else, but this makes me want to stab myself in the face. On the bright side, I guess they've dumbed this down as much as possible.

Although the likelihood of me moving to Kansas City seems to be increasing rather quickly.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Their audience plants are super enthusiastic.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

Time to make the USA ISPs look even worse. COMPETITION!

Go Google!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Info on announcement - don't sit thru presentation

»www.theverge.com/2012/7/ ··· sas-city

»www.engadget.com/2012/07 ··· iber-tv/

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Wonder how much all of this costs

Verizon's FiOS has a fraction of these features and claims to cost quite a bit per home passed. I wonder what this will cost and I wonder if Google is selling the service as a loss leader and using advertising to make up the difference?
clbowen2
join:2000-10-06
Cleveland, OH

clbowen2

Price?

And how much is this?

Also, I want it!

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Impressive pricing options

The pricing and packages are impressive. Incumbents beware.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

1 recommendation

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Show interest?

google.com/fiber and raise your hand. 10$ bucks please. Go harass your neighbors if you want a fiberhood.

Man this is going to be funny seeing neighborhoods go ape over this trying to get installed.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to clbowen2

Premium Member

to clbowen2

Re: Price?

$70 for Interet only and $120 for TV and Internet
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw to morbo

to morbo

Re: Impressive pricing options

Free for seven years if you pay the 300 installation fee? So you pay, if stretched out, 7$ a month for seven years? Nice! Plus the 120 for tv and internet? And a nexus tablet with a two year commit? Sounds pretty good to me!
mrjoshuaw

mrjoshuaw to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

Think Data Mining and selling your info!
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Ouch

Just how bad does this make incumbent telcos and cablecos look?

This is an incredible product. One thing that should also be noted is that it appeared that there will not be any standard definition channels on Google Fiber TV.

Go get it, KC. No wonder Time Warner was terrified, 1Gbps/1Gbps $30 less than their 50/5 service.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to clbowen2

to clbowen2

TV and 1gbps internet for $120.
1gbps internet for $70.

Install fee = $300 (waived if you sign for 2 years).

Not ready for the speed? get your house wired for $300 and get 5mpbs internet for 7 years at no cost.
said by clbowen2:

And how much is this?

Also, I want it!

xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to IowaMan

to IowaMan
The TV + Internet also appears to include a Nexus 7 Tablet as the remote.
xenophon

1 edit

xenophon

TWC response

Will be interesting to see how TWC responds. The areas of KCMO and KCK mentions are all TWC territory. I have TWC and in the area mentioned (midtown KCMO). Will be calling TWC soon and see what they'll offer to keep me (even though I'll dump them anyway).

Edit: TWC and ATT have made statements...
»www.bizjournals.com/kans ··· 12-07-26

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to IowaMan

to IowaMan

PLUS $300 install fee if you don't sign up for 2 years.
said by IowaMan:

SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Eh hem...

Google's also offering a third package of 5 Mbps, 1 Mbps up for free for users who aren't quite ready to jump into the 1 Gbps pool. Users simply have to pay the $300 installation fee, which they can pay in one lump sum, or pay in $25 a month increments for the first year.

We'll assume that monitoring and selling your entire home's connectivity and usage data to interested parties comes free of charge.
I would GLADLY give up my data usage history for FREE unmetered 5Mbps down/1Mbps up connectivity. As I've been quoted on another tech forum - Google can datamine my ass for all I care as long as they give me unmetered, unrestricted bandwidth in exchange.

Everyone has their price.
xenophon

xenophon

Here are all of the rates..

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to mrjoshuaw

to mrjoshuaw

Re: Impressive pricing options

FREE 5mbps internet (dsl speed) is the FREE internet if you pre-pay the install fee and get the 1gbps installed later.
said by mrjoshuaw:

Free for seven years if you pay the 300 installation fee? So you pay, if stretched out, 7$ a month for seven years? Nice! Plus the 120 for tv and internet? And a nexus tablet with a two year commit? Sounds pretty good to me!

compuguybna

compuguybna to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne

Re: Show interest?

yeah, over the next 6 weeks, imagine the $ they'll raise with $10 per person interested!
said by AndyDufresne:

google.com/fiber and raise your hand. 10$ bucks please. Go harass your neighbors if you want a fiberhood.

Man this is going to be funny seeing neighborhoods go ape over this trying to get installed.

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

1 recommendation

IowaMan to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Re: TWC response

Do post a screen shot of when you get it. (Living in Iowa with Mediacom)
I'm jealous Maybe they will expand to Des Moines someday

SHABAZZ
join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA

SHABAZZ

Wow

This is amazing. Google needs to wire Socal...

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to SunnyD

to SunnyD

Re: Eh hem...

what makes you think this isn't going to happen even with a 1gbps package?????????
said by SunnyD:

Google's also offering a third package of 5 Mbps, 1 Mbps up for free for users who aren't quite ready to jump into the 1 Gbps pool. Users simply have to pay the $300 installation fee, which they can pay in one lump sum, or pay in $25 a month increments for the first year.

We'll assume that monitoring and selling your entire home's connectivity and usage data to interested parties comes free of charge.
I would GLADLY give up my data usage history for FREE unmetered 5Mbps down/1Mbps up connectivity. As I've been quoted on another tech forum - Google can datamine my ass for all I care as long as they give me unmetered, unrestricted bandwidth in exchange.

Everyone has their price.

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

You might get lucky (or NOT) and they bump people to a paltry 100Mb/20Mb

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Become a google whore...

.. annoy your whole neighborhood into signing up first.
Accept no excuses, quit your day job, hammer on their doors night and day until they Buy! Buy! Buy!
The lady next door, tell her insulin is way over rated, she needs Gigabit.
The old guy in a wheel chair, tell him Oxygen network is free with Gigabit, and better for him than the kind in those overpriced cylinders.
That family down the street.. their kids don't need braces if the have Googlebit fiber.
And the couple getting their house repo'd should order 200 of the "free"packages, for a mere $60k of google fiber installs their house will increase in value $400k to $1 million in value, and they can float another loan.

Yeah the take rate will be high at these artifically low prices, I wonder if the EFT is 5 figures if you don't last the full 2 years.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to IowaMan

to IowaMan

Months out before any installs..... At least six weeks to DETERMINE WHERE to install.
said by IowaMan:

Do post a screen shot of when you get it. (Living in Iowa with Mediacom)
I'm jealous Maybe they will expand to Des Moines someday

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

Wonder

My question is how aggressive are they on this move. Is KS the one off showcase or the plan for the future. At this point all the cable co's are going to scramble if as I hope they expand fairly quickly now. We all know that Google took advantage of all the dark fiber that was laid in the last decade and we don't know how much they have. If ever there was a company to disrupt the cable co's and Telco's duopoly it's the Deep Pockets that Google has.

All I can say now is for the them to Spread out Fast. I want my Google Fiber NOW!
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to compuguybna

to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

PLUS $300 install fee if you don't sign up for 2 years.

said by IowaMan:

No, it is 1 year deal not 2.
xenophon

xenophon to mrjoshuaw

to mrjoshuaw

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to xenophon

to xenophon

They're going to have to bring prices down and upgrade the network. Look for KC to become TWC's new test area.

Looking at the channel lineup, it looks like everything is in there except they don't have a deal with FOX or Time Warner yet for their cable networks.

So no TBS, TNT, FX, Cartoon Network, CNN, HLN, Fox News, HBO, Cinemax or FSN for the Royals.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next