dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-26 14:24:38: Google today finally took the wraps off of their 1 Gbps Google Fiber deployment in Kansas City, holding a press conference this morning at one of their new regional NOCs to finally give us some hard details. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to mech1164

to mech1164

Re: Wonder

Might be live in about 3 months . . .
said by mech1164:

All I can say now is for the them to Spread out Fast. I want my Google Fiber NOW!

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

telco fantasy

Obviously, nothing about telephony in this presentation.. $120 for internet and basic video only. This or a variation of this google rollout is what Verizon's FIOS would have been (couldn've should've, etc) had they not strayed from the path into investor greed, stock holder revolt, management micromanaging and white collar corporate parachutes & ladders, franchise dictatorships (my-way or the highway), cherry picking, selling out copper geographies, etc...

I dunno, a measly 5 megabits for free? If anything, they should have it at the fastest of what's offered by telco & cableco in the area as a demonstration of the difference between innovation and getting robbed by your (former) incumbents. Apparently, they are concerned about apathy to subscribe and PAY so the difference in speed has to be "VASTLY" faster vs 15, 25, 100 megabit for free. Why pay for gigablt when what you would pay $40, $50, $100 w/ an former incubment is free.. and that's my only complaint.. other than that, Kudos..

Nevertheless, if anyone (Kansas City or not) wants and Ooma for telephone... You'd think they'd throw in google voice integration for free if you buy internet or internet+video... NO?

»go.ooma.com/referral//?r ··· =WEZ4487

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Re: Price?

said by xenophon:

Here are all of the rates..

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

Google swallowing costs beyond the income they get. These wouldn't be the prices if their main business would be as an ISP.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

channel lineup

I don't see any Disney corp. channels- Disney or Espn. Praise Jesus.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

I didn't notice that.

With 3 of the big content providers currently out, they're going to have to bring those in.

That may be how TWC keeps a stranglehold on TV, although Google does have the NFL Network.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to mrjoshuaw

to mrjoshuaw

Re: Impressive pricing options

How did you get $7? I get $3.57/month.

7yrs * 12 months = 84 months. $300 / 84 = $3.57

7yrs * 12 months * $7 = $588.

Am I missing a hidden fee that you are including?

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

No, I mean how much it costs THEM.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

somms to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Google you could have done a better presentation.

$70/month for 1Gbps makes the $300/month my ISP wants for the same fiber speed seem like a total ripoff!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to FFH5

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by xenophon:

Here are all of the rates..

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

Google swallowing costs beyond the income they get. These wouldn't be the prices if their main business would be as an ISP.

You can bet that what you are paying is a token fee and they will recoup the rest from data mining and advertising. Google is an advertising company. They aint doing this for free!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Os

to Os

Re: TWC response

said by Os:

They're going to have to bring prices down and upgrade the network. Look for KC to become TWC's new test area.

Looking at the channel lineup, it looks like everything is in there except they don't have a deal with FOX or Time Warner yet for their cable networks.

So no TBS, TNT, FX, Cartoon Network, CNN, HLN, Fox News, HBO, Cinemax or FSN for the Royals.

you forgot ESPN and Disney!
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Might move now

I might move to Kansas City now.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: Eh hem...

Not what I was referring to - but rather Karl's comment itself. Like I said, everybody has a price - and if that's the price I have to pay to get decent "free" service to be free of the incumbents' profiteering, so be it.
said by compuguybna:

what makes you think this isn't going to happen even with a 1gbps package?????????

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to rradina

News Guy

to rradina

They let you pay in two ways for the 5 Mbps tier: one lump sum, or $25 per month for a year. You can't stretch the payment out longer than a year.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to Os

to Os

Re: TWC response

Googls is still working on the channel lineup, the current list is just for starters. I don't watch sports so don't care.
xenophon

xenophon to Os

to Os

Re: channel lineup

The TV lineup is just what they've currently negotiated. The others may eventually come. I'm kinda surprised the list is as long as it is off the bat.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Is this all you can eat?

No meters, throttling or QOS for favored services?

While the price/performance is drop-dead fantastic, if it's just straight up connectivity with no limits, this is my vote for the most significant aspect of the service.

Not to spoil the party but I hope Google offers subscribers free prophylactics. Imagine a 5,000 device DOS attack with 1Gbps upload!
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Might move now

For those who are (and BTW, there are a lot of unfilled tech jobs here, about 4 jobs for each person looking), be sure to know which hoods Google is in. They are only in central KCMO and parts of KCK for now.
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

daake07 to somms

to somms

Re: Google you could have done a better presentation.

I take it your part of Utopia, I have to say they are my least FTTH system. I looked at several of the rates from different providers and none of them were much better than what cable could typically offer.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Why...

Why... do you need a local 2TB box for video, if you have low latentcy Gigabit? this would be perfect for edge or cloud based DVR service.
Why... make every TV a WiFI AP, couldn't a few dongles on unused cable jacks cover even the largest house many time over? WiFI would be disappointingly slow after wired anyway.
Why... such an artifically low price, is service so bad that noone would buy at, say, fios or cable triple play pricing? Google trying to learn that if you offer all you can eat prime rib buffet for $1 a day, many will buy. What happens at $12.95 is a lot more interesting.

Once upon a time Netzero offered FREE and low priced ad supported packages and they were (briefly) popular, until people learned what "FREE" cost.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

I thought the comment was in regards to normalizing the $300 install to a monthly cost over 7 years but not how the $300 could be paid.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan

But only if you move to KC (where housing prices are now headed to Mt View levels. )
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Google Price Innovation

Wow 5 mbps free. Google finding a way to apply their web app and android business model to their ISP service... impressive. That's some truly amazing price innovation, and will utterly destroy the competition.

I'd like to think that because Google and its stock is essentially controlled by its founders, if this experiment turns out to be even mildly profitable Google will expand to other non FIOS-covered cities.
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Yeah I understand that I just forgot to put that in the post, but still 5Mb for 7 years? That is really good!
hussle87
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

Fiber is the future

Maybe this announcement will kick verizon in the butt into rethinking a phase 2 of fios.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

Google doesn't expect a 43% profit margin the way Verizon gets from its wireless subs. They're quite willing to dump a free service (Android in smartphones, the 5 mbps for free with this project) for longterm growth and mindshare. Hopefully if this experiment proves successful they'll expand to other non-FIOS markets.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin

Re: Google Price Innovation

FREE only after you pay the $300 construction fee for a "FUTURE INSTALL of 1gbps".....
said by sonicmerlin:

Wow 5 mbps free. Google finding a way to apply their web app and android business model to their ISP service... impressive. That's some truly amazing price innovation, and will utterly destroy the competition.

I'd like to think that because Google and its stock is essentially controlled by its founders, if this experiment turns out to be even mildly profitable Google will expand to other non FIOS-covered cities.

towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne

Re: channel lineup

said by AndyDufresne:

I don't see any Disney corp. channels- Disney or Espn. Praise Jesus.

Why would you NOT want to have these channels in the lineup? You don't have to watch them, and any lineup missing these channels will turn away a TON of prospective customers. I would think you'd want to have EVERY available channel listed, so nobody would ever have to cross Google Fiber off their list of prospective providers.

TD
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw to rradina

to rradina

Oops your right...simple math will get you every time!

Typo
@dslextreme.com

Typo

Anon

Typo

"1 Gbps Mbps downstream" should be just be "1 Gbps downstream."

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: Might move now

said by brianiscool:

I might move to Kansas City now.

Take your time. Google isn't looking to get people hooked up until END of 2013.
»bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· city-mo/
quote:
By the end of next year, Google expects residents in all of the areas wired for its service to be able to receive it.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next