dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-26 14:24:38: Google today finally took the wraps off of their 1 Gbps Google Fiber deployment in Kansas City, holding a press conference this morning at one of their new regional NOCs to finally give us some hard details. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to elray

to elray

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

That $300 is just for the initial fiber to home install - it's really a home improvement fee, not a service fee. If you move to a home that already has Google fiber installed, you can get the service for 'free' for up to 7 years.

$300 is still cheap, or $25/month for first year. That's $3.57/month for 7 years for unlimited 5/5.

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane to fifty nine

Anon

to fifty nine

Google gets my vote.

Lol I just have to laugh with how ignorant most people are. it is claimed that this project cost between 350-500 million and for sure Google is going to make back their money for this project in as little as 3 years. Information is what Google makes money from. Being able to collect data from usage, to search queries, to search trends and everything is worth hundreds of millions a year by itself. It cost almost nothing to provide internet services when you consider the profits made. This project is going to succeed and it is going to spread to other cities, because it will be the project that most people compare their shitty services to.

Remember when everyone wanted Fios to come to their town, now everyone is going to want Google to come to their town. The cost of fiber optic cable is as cheap as chips. You can buy fiber for as low as $120 a kilometer, so that $300 that Google charge for installation can wire more than 1 and a half kilometer and still have room to pay for modem and installation.

North Americans have been fool for so long about the real cost of providing internet that it boggles the mind that it could be so cheap and still make money. DON'T YOU ALL GET IT YET, THE ISPS HAVE LIED TO US.

BobbieDean
@swbell.net

BobbieDean to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse

Re: blocking

In our Google fiberhood (KCMO) we can already choose from ATT Uverse, Time-Warner RoadRunner or Surewest and guess what... nearly 20% of our households have pre-registered for Google Fiber.

That should be a loud & clear message to the incumbents.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to Rangersfan

Premium Member

to Rangersfan

Re: channel lineup

said by Rangersfan :

said by Skippy25:

Of course they dont, they make more forcing everything on you and when possible forcing your provider to force it on everyone they provide to.

But they can still provide packages for those channels (as said above), but ultimately I would like to see a la carte for every channel with bundle options.

You are correct. That is the model that the channels owners force on the TV providers to maximize the carriage fees that they receive.

At the announcement, Google specifically said that they would not offer different TV packages like the other TV providers because it was so confusing. There would just have one package except they might be a separate charge for premium channels. Examples of premium channels would HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc.

I would hope they'd separate the premium channels because the current list includes Encore & Showtime in their one package. Probably why it cost $50 for the TV service.
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1 to saneblane

to saneblane

Re: Google gets my vote.

Well said

americandigi
@119.93.224.x

americandigi

Anon

Google Fiber!

wow! this is great. I newly found this. I will check out this one here. Thanks for sharing.

Active Opto
@lstn.net

Active Opto to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz

Re: gpon over active ethernet!

Google GPON trials by Sonet.NET were using OEM equipment from AdTran.

Now the magic question is what will "Google Huts" house?
1) GPON Splitters
or
2) Active Ethernet Switches

If they're going to house GPON splitters, the length of fiber home run strands to EACH subscriber will be NO DIFFERENT from Active Ethernet home runs. Each home will get a dedicated strand of fiber whether it's going to be GPON or Active Ethernet from the huts onwards.

Now, GPON marketers will always tell you that even if the lengths of fibers are the same GPON will save you substantial cost of having power supply and battery equipment at those distribution cabinets or "Google Huts". AT&T has no problem feeding their VRADs, I don't see it's going to be a problem for Google.

However, they are not going to tell you that you're actually trading simplicity, future bandwidth needs and ease of individual port management for merely saving the cost of remote power supply.

Don't forget again, all those passive splitters in your distribution cabinets/huts will all have the be REPLACED in future when you need sell WDM-PON services.

I'm also very sure Motorola is pushing Google to adopt GPON over other technologies but Cisco will tell them otherwise.

With experience in PON deployments over Asia - Japan, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Thailand I can tell you troubleshooting PON networks can sometimes be a real pain the a** trying to figure out your customer's problems when you hear isolated cases. The work involves isolating the final stretch of strand to the premise, heading down to the roadside cabinet where the splitters are, mapping out the hundreds of strand to that particular customer, bypassing his port with your own ONT at the splitter's end to see if the problem is replicated or not. When you have seen the mess in some of their distribution cabinets, you would want to appreciate the true meaning of simple and clean 'Kaizen' approach.

For AE, you only have 3 simple things to take care of: the switch port, the dedicated fiber strand that connects both ends and the user's ONT port.
Active Opto

Active Opto to hussle87

Anon

to hussle87

Re: Fiber is the future

LTE the future?

You must be kidding. Those with high hopes for it will be sorely disappointed because very high chances you're going to pay for every gigabyte of data you download. When I mention caps, I mean close to $100 for volumes that won't even exceed 20GB per month or similar.

Your traffic will be drained out before you know it. Forget about doing cloud computing, large updates/fixes and TV streaming.
BeakersBro
join:2011-06-24

BeakersBro to Active Opto

to Active Opto

Re: gpon over active ethernet!

Does GPON require AC to cool the box? Active typically does and this is a pain. I haven't kept up with FTTH type active ethernet, so this may not be true anymore.

Disclaimer - I had previously worked for an FTTH startup using an active approach. I like it better from a arch perspective, but having to cool gear in a pain.

Active Opto
@lstn.net

Active Opto

Anon

This is not an issue because you're going to place them into huts instead of miniature cabinets. AT&T also does AC with their VRADs.

I'm pretty sure Google have placed enough considerations on an area's climate, topography and local utilities access before choosing Kansas City to start with their fiber project. They are along the same lines as how Apple and FB determined where their datacentres should be built around the world.

The other related story that you might want to know about Google recent prep of disposing Motorola Home and Cable Division rumours. Most of us know too that Motorola has been pushing GPON technology to Google for adoption since it was their next logical step after their CMTS product offerings. It may seem that they're trying very hard to keep themselves afloat but who knows..

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· d=223538

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to io chico

Premium Member

to io chico

Re: Never thought I'd say this,

Newark has had this for years and nobody cares.
batterup

batterup to americandigi

Premium Member

to americandigi

Re: Google Fiber!

You are in Iloilo City, Google isn't interested.
batterup

batterup to saneblane

Premium Member

to saneblane

Re: Google gets my vote.

said by saneblane :

$120 a kilometer

That is funny. What is a kilometer? It must be about ten feet.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

Re: channel lineup

said by Andy from CA:

said by Rangersfan :

said by Skippy25:

Of course they dont, they make more forcing everything on you and when possible forcing your provider to force it on everyone they provide to.

But they can still provide packages for those channels (as said above), but ultimately I would like to see a la carte for every channel with bundle options.

You are correct. That is the model that the channels owners force on the TV providers to maximize the carriage fees that they receive.

At the announcement, Google specifically said that they would not offer different TV packages like the other TV providers because it was so confusing. There would just have one package except they might be a separate charge for premium channels. Examples of premium channels would HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc.

I would hope they'd separate the premium channels because the current list includes Encore & Showtime in their one package. Probably why it cost $50 for the TV service.

Wow, they did separate Encore & Showtime. It's still $50 but now both premium channels are an additional $10 each.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11