dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-26 14:24:38: Google today finally took the wraps off of their 1 Gbps Google Fiber deployment in Kansas City, holding a press conference this morning at one of their new regional NOCs to finally give us some hard details. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

1 edit

daake07

Google you could have done a better presentation.

I don't know about everyone else, but this makes me want to stab myself in the face. On the bright side, I guess they've dumbed this down as much as possible.

Although the likelihood of me moving to Kansas City seems to be increasing rather quickly.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Re: Google you could have done a better presentation.

Their audience plants are super enthusiastic.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

somms

$70/month for 1Gbps makes the $300/month my ISP wants for the same fiber speed seem like a total ripoff!
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

daake07

I take it your part of Utopia, I have to say they are my least FTTH system. I looked at several of the rates from different providers and none of them were much better than what cable could typically offer.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

somms

said by daake07:

I take it your part of Utopia, I have to say they are my least FTTH system. I looked at several of the rates from different providers and none of them were much better than what cable could typically offer.

Yes, my ISP is XMission offering service thru Utopia.

Right now, I'm paying $45/month for 100Mbps symmetrical service. I sent an email containing Google's gigabit fiber announcement pricing link off to XMission inquiring if they may be revisiting their $300/month pricing for the Utopia FTTH 1Gbps symmetrical tier in the future due to Google's announcement. XMission emailed back:

As to Google, let's just say it is now evident why they decided not to
make this an open access network. We would lose literally thousands of
dollars per subscriber attempting to provide gig service at that price
(which I think Google is willing to do). In fact, $300 is a loss to us
in most circumstances. Just the wholesale UTOPIA access fees that we
pay per user are several times larger than that.

I know, part of me wants to move to KC, too But I'd settle for a
UTOPIA city in the meantime.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to somms

Premium Member

to somms
said by somms:

$70/month for 1Gbps makes the $300/month my ISP wants for the same fiber speed seem like a total ripoff!

It's about the same thing here. Wireless connection on their Canopy system is $40-70 a month but if you can get fiber the lowest speed that is the same as the fastest wireless is double the price or more plus install.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
I'd be enthusiastic too if I could get gigabit symmetric for $70 per month. Wouldn't bat an eye at signing a one year contract.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to daake07

Premium Member

to daake07
Kansas City is much better than Kearney, NE. I've lived in all three towns of the butt hole triangle of Nebraska. I'd never consider it again.

Hopefully Google gets to expanding their fiber plant as they missed me by about 15 miles.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 edit

SimbaSeven

said by thegeek:

Hopefully Google gets to expanding their fiber plant as they missed me by about 15 miles.

Heck, I'd invest in a pair of Ubiquiti AirFiber antennas for that.

EDIT: Scratch that. 13km (~8mi) max without rain. Even worse with it.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to daake07

to daake07
For details from locals tracking this, check this thread...

»forum.kcrag.com/viewtopi ··· tart=500

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

Time to make the USA ISPs look even worse. COMPETITION!

Go Google!

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2

Anon

Re: Time to make the USA ISPs look even worse. COMPETITION!

And you do realize who owns those channels Google wants right? They can easily keep Google from getting them or demanding more $$$ for them. Google may think they have something, but they're a public company; those shareholders are going to want their $$$$ back and FAST. The same as VZ's did. You can bet they won't expand outside of this unless they raise rates.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Info on announcement - don't sit thru presentation

»www.theverge.com/2012/7/ ··· sas-city

»www.engadget.com/2012/07 ··· iber-tv/

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Wonder how much all of this costs

Verizon's FiOS has a fraction of these features and claims to cost quite a bit per home passed. I wonder what this will cost and I wonder if Google is selling the service as a loss leader and using advertising to make up the difference?
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw

Re: Wonder how much all of this costs

Think Data Mining and selling your info!
xenophon

xenophon

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

No, I mean how much it costs THEM.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to mrjoshuaw

to mrjoshuaw
Say Hello to fast data mining and info sale at the speed of light...LOL

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

ISPs are already doing it, so what else is new?
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to mrjoshuaw

Premium Member

to mrjoshuaw
You don't think your current ISP isn't already doing that?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to fifty nine

to fifty nine
Google doesn't expect a 43% profit margin the way Verizon gets from its wireless subs. They're quite willing to dump a free service (Android in smartphones, the 5 mbps for free with this project) for longterm growth and mindshare. Hopefully if this experiment proves successful they'll expand to other non-FIOS markets.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:

Hopefully if this experiment proves successful they'll expand to other non-FIOS markets.

Never happen. Google won't make money on this. It is pure PR BS to get their name out there as the good guy. It is an advertising campaign and nothing more.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by FFH5:

Never happen. Google won't make money on this. It is pure PR BS to get their name out there as the good guy. It is an advertising campaign and nothing more.

Awww... well if CableTelcoUSA returns to a fair pricing model then google will stop with KC, if not...
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

said by dib22:

Awww... well if CableTelcoUSA returns to a fair pricing model then google will stop with KC, if not...

...Google will still stop with KC.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by sonicmerlin:

Hopefully if this experiment proves successful they'll expand to other non-FIOS markets.

And this is different from typical incumbent provider nonsense...how?

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by coldmoon:

said by FFH5:

said by sonicmerlin:

And this is different from typical incumbent provider nonsense...how?

Funny stuff. Pro business people apparently only like the ones that skimp on infrastructure and squeeze out more dollars without always paying the bills.

If google pays all costs, marks some money for build out, and has exactly one penny or more leftover it seems like a very successful project. All the arm chair CEO's and economists who want cheap products and shoddy infrastructure while making piles of cash to give out to good old boy types are what drives this countries people towards the bottom.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

Crookshanks

said by firephoto:

Funny stuff. Pro business people apparently only like the ones that skimp on infrastructure and squeeze out more dollars without always paying the bills.

If google pays all costs, marks some money for build out, and has exactly one penny or more leftover it seems like a very successful project.

Sorry, that's not how business works. Your example is only valid if there was no other product Google could have invested their time and money into. Google has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders to invest its time and money into projects that net the highest possible profit margin.

As an example, Verizon isn't abandoning wireline because it isn't profitable. They are abandoning it because wireless is more profitable. Building out the LTE network is simply a better use of capital than building out the wireline network. This calculation may well change once the wireless network and market fully matures but for the time being it would be fiduciary negligence for them to invest their limited resources into a product with a lower ROI than wireless.

Getting back to the original point, I'm not sure what Google's long term goal is here. At their core they are a content and advertising company; I doubt they are willing to get into the last mile business on a nationwide scale. That would make as much sense as Verizon going into the search engine business or ExxonMobile trying to compete with McDonalds.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Most profitable? Shouldn't they get out of the internet business and sell hookers and blow instead?
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

said by firephoto:

If google pays all costs, marks some money for build out, and has exactly one penny or more leftover it seems like a very successful project.

Sorry, that's not how business works. Your example is only valid if there was no other product Google could have invested their time and money into. Google has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders to invest its time and money into projects that net the highest possible profit margin.

As an example, Verizon isn't abandoning wireline because it isn't profitable. They are abandoning it because wireless is more profitable. Building out the LTE network is simply a better use of capital than building out the wireline network. This calculation may well change once the wireless network and market fully matures but for the time being it would be fiduciary negligence for them to invest their limited resources into a product with a lower ROI than wireless.

Getting back to the original point, I'm not sure what Google's long term goal is here. At their core they are a content and advertising company; I doubt they are willing to get into the last mile business on a nationwide scale. That would make as much sense as Verizon going into the search engine business or ExxonMobile trying to compete with McDonalds.

agreed companies have a obligation to stockholders.. I think google is showing the president, and sen/house why we need it, weather the cable companies like it or not fiber is the future and we all know this.. cable cant even get 50 mbps up for crying out loud, and it starting to show that they over charge big time for their tv services people are smarting up and seeing what the internet can do for them, I think in 10 years or less we will start to see fiber running threw major states (and it wont be provided by the likes of AT&T or cable co. but possibly the gov which seems to keep on spending at this point and time.. I could be wrong and this could be just my speculation) still none the less cable and AT&T, Verizon will have their day when they will loose to fiber

as shown on the video 1000mbps almost.., they where able to upload everything 10x faster or more.. upload is starting to become a major thing in the internet with more and more cloud idk if the cable co's will actually go for it (Comcast will, but the smaller ones like suddenlink, my provider, its seems they wont mess with it)

FLATLINE
join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

FLATLINE

Oh please stop with this obligation to the stockholders nonsense. If you believe that then your a fool like the rest of them. Real business people will tell you their obligation is to the customer. Only then are you really looking out for the stockholders. Put the customer first, run a decent business, and the stockholders will profit. Putting the stockholders first inevitably alienates the customer. Want examples? Just look around. Who's missing? Who's been in trouble for years. Its just a lousy policy that will only take you so far and as we have seen can ruin some of the biggest and best.

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

They have a responsibility to their majority shareholders. Everyone else can come or go as they please with their minor investments.

There is a very limited number of people at the top of Google with full control of the investment into the company, everyone else is just along for the ride.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Getting back to the original point, I'm not sure what Google's long term goal is here. At their core they are a content and advertising company; I doubt they are willing to get into the last mile business on a nationwide scale.

Competition. I think they want to turn up the heat to get ISPs providing better Internet at a more affordable rate so that they can provide more compelling content.
It is the same reason they built their own browser. For the longest time they backed Firefox, but after it became clear to them that the Firefox codebase was in too bad a shape to provide the sort of fast-moving innovation they wanted to see in browsers, they started their own. The result has been very successful as Firefox and IE have struggled to keep pace with Chrome, but at the same time are almost definitely faster and more standards compliant than they would otherwise be.
Google doesn't want to be in the ISP or browser business, but since their product rides on top of both, they have a huge interest in making sure these two technologies are pushing forward as fast as possible.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

This is indeed how business works -- in economics textbooks. In practice, though, companies practical vertical integration even when it doesn't make sense. I suspect they do it for the same reason that they pursue value-destroying mergers -- it allows executives to build empires and bolster their clout at the company.

The classic example is the integrated oil company. Almost all the profit is in the crude oil extraction. Yet most of the majors still operate refiners and gas stations, which are essentially breakeven businesses. Only a few have been willing to divest, even though it would improve their capital efficiency.

Right now, Kansas City is a hobby for Google. But if Google were to decide to vertically integrate, though, it would not be the first time that a company made a decision based on non-economic considerations.

Also, tech investors seem to be a lot more tolerant of hobbies than utility investors. Microsoft lost money on Xbox for ten years before finally breaking into the black. If an electric utility were to go out and frack some natural gas, their shareholders would revolt.
xenophon

1 recommendation

xenophon to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by sonicmerlin:

You are pretty bitter about this it seems. Major Debbe Downer.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Yep, industry shills usually are.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to FFH5

to FFH5
Google gets a lot of money from data mining with its search engine alone, being the whole isp and getting to mine everything yeah theres money there. Not a typical isp strategy but it should work for google.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to FFH5

to FFH5
What are they advertising?

•••
d1gw33d
join:2009-06-20
Clovis, CA

d1gw33d to FFH5

to FFH5
You're assuming too much and your snarky remark of it being "PR BS to get their as the good guy" is needless. The incumbent ISP's have price gouged customers with consistent rate hikes, implemented data caps, practice anti competitive business and provide awful customer support. Not to mention the fact they twist any regulation into a shell of its beginings and use them to squash any start ups.

Odd stance from you considering your blatant political leanings that you feel the need to slap on the left and bottom of all your posts.

•••
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by sonicmerlin:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. Yes, this is a good PR/press move, but it's more than that. Google makes money off visitors. Now, they don't need their own network for that, assuming the incumbent ISP's deliver those visitors, but you have companies like AT&T saying they want to be paid for carrying Google's traffic. Google doesn't want to pay them and set such a precedent, so a nice way around that is to build their own network.

Now consider the moneymaking part of this. Why do you assume Google can't make money here? The incumbents are doing quite nicely, and many of them are hampered by the limitations of old technology infrastructure. Google is free to build all-fiber networks that can do laps around the incumbents in terms of speed. If they price competitively, they'll get customers, not only because of price but also because of their immediate brand recognition and also because many people don't like their current provider too much. And, even if they only break even, they're still making money on getting the site visitors they need. And, if they decide to bail on fiber later on, they can get a lot of money by selling those networks and subscribers to someone else. They could even include a stipulation that the buyer not try to charge them to deliver visitors to their sites.

Finally, they can always use fiber as a club to hold over the heads of the incumbents. "If you won't play nice with us, we'll drop fiber networks into your territory and steal your customers."

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Finally, they can always use fiber as a club to hold over the heads of the incumbents. "If you won't play nice with us, we'll drop fiber networks into your territory and steal your customers."

I hope they use those exact words.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

Now consider the moneymaking part of this. Why do you assume Google can't make money here? The incumbents are doing quite nicely, and many of them are hampered by the limitations of old technology infrastructure.

But Google is changing the economics of the market by overbuilding. The incumbent may have been doing well in a duopoly -- but when you split customers 3 ways, then there's less cash to any one entity.

There's also the likely competitive response. Because infrastructure is a fixed cost, the incumbent will be willing to respond with lower prices and eating into margins. This is good for the consumer because it reduces prices. However, it presents the new entrant with a tough competitive situation. As soon as Verizon installed fiber in a neighborhood, the cable companies would offer targeted discounts that reduced the FiOS take rate.

This is why cable overbuilders have historically had such a hard time of it. RCN, for example, went bankrupt. Even Verizon, which is a much richer company, stopped the FiOS buildout due to disappointing returns-on-investment.

Of course, Google is in a different situation, because telecoms is not their primary business. Their primary motivation is likely the ancillary benefits, rather than the profit on the network itself.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
a very very very expensive "advertising campaign"
AKA06
join:2011-02-10

AKA06 to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by sonicmerlin:

So? If anything this should prove that the incumbents are simply resting on their laurels and that the model can be done better. And, if early reaction and interest is any indication, do so quite embarassingly.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5
throwthemdemsout, i missed you so much.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

Google doesn't expect a 43% profit margin the way Verizon gets from its wireless subs. They're quite willing to dump a free service (Android in smartphones, the 5 mbps for free with this project) for longterm growth and mindshare.

The service is not free. It costs $300.

Not a bad deal.

But not free.

•••••

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2 to sonicmerlin

Anon

to sonicmerlin
Did you not realize their shareholders are going to DEMAND their money back off this build. If they don't make their $$$ they will sell this system and someone at Google will be out on the street and QUICK.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by NWOhio2 :

Did you not realize their shareholders are going to DEMAND their money back off this build. If they don't make their $$$ they will sell this system and someone at Google will be out on the street and QUICK.

I live in Kansas city and judging from the amount of people who can't wait to pre order this service I would say you have about a 0% chance of being correct.

South Korea ISP's charge about 35 ~ 40 USD for 100/100 fiber in major metro areas, so google will do just fine.

They are using basically the same business model. Cheap prices and no customer service.

That's how its done overseas and people figure it out just fine.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

1 recommendation

atuarre to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
Nothing is free. I do not care if Google "claims" it is free. As others have pointed out, this is a PR stunt, just like the wireless spectrum nonsense, and Google selling its own device, which still was under carrier control.

And companies do have an obligation to their shareholders. You don't have to believe that, but it is true.

Google will milk this for the free PR, and then the real costs will end up hitting the end users, just you watch.

•••••••

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
Not so fast there Google, lots of details to get right:
»techcrunch.com/2012/07/2 ··· bitches/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Yes, because 18 months to install a city is just unacceptable.

This I feel is half the problem. Many business want huge returns right now, immediately--- or by the end of next quarter. This is often fueled by the Street. 2 years out? Unacceptable!

Honestly, if I had to wait the full 18 months to get that fiber, I'd STILL be delighted.

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane to fifty nine

Anon

to fifty nine
Lol I just have to laugh with how ignorant most people are. it is claimed that this project cost between 350-500 million and for sure Google is going to make back their money for this project in as little as 3 years. Information is what Google makes money from. Being able to collect data from usage, to search queries, to search trends and everything is worth hundreds of millions a year by itself. It cost almost nothing to provide internet services when you consider the profits made. This project is going to succeed and it is going to spread to other cities, because it will be the project that most people compare their shitty services to.

Remember when everyone wanted Fios to come to their town, now everyone is going to want Google to come to their town. The cost of fiber optic cable is as cheap as chips. You can buy fiber for as low as $120 a kilometer, so that $300 that Google charge for installation can wire more than 1 and a half kilometer and still have room to pay for modem and installation.

North Americans have been fool for so long about the real cost of providing internet that it boggles the mind that it could be so cheap and still make money. DON'T YOU ALL GET IT YET, THE ISPS HAVE LIED TO US.
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1

Re: Google gets my vote.

Well said

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to saneblane

Premium Member

to saneblane
said by saneblane :

$120 a kilometer

That is funny. What is a kilometer? It must be about ten feet.
clbowen2
join:2000-10-06
Cleveland, OH

clbowen2

Price?

And how much is this?

Also, I want it!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Impressive pricing options

The pricing and packages are impressive. Incumbents beware.

•••••••
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

1 recommendation

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Show interest?

google.com/fiber and raise your hand. 10$ bucks please. Go harass your neighbors if you want a fiberhood.

Man this is going to be funny seeing neighborhoods go ape over this trying to get installed.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Re: Show interest?

yeah, over the next 6 weeks, imagine the $ they'll raise with $10 per person interested!
said by AndyDufresne:

google.com/fiber and raise your hand. 10$ bucks please. Go harass your neighbors if you want a fiberhood.

Man this is going to be funny seeing neighborhoods go ape over this trying to get installed.

90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne
I hope there is some funny youtube videos.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Ouch

Just how bad does this make incumbent telcos and cablecos look?

This is an incredible product. One thing that should also be noted is that it appeared that there will not be any standard definition channels on Google Fiber TV.

Go get it, KC. No wonder Time Warner was terrified, 1Gbps/1Gbps $30 less than their 50/5 service.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Re: Ouch

I imagine the cablecos do have painful paper cuts from rolling around in their piles of cash
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Os

to Os
said by Os:

Just how bad does this make incumbent telcos and cablecos look?

This is an incredible product. One thing that should also be noted is that it appeared that there will not be any standard definition channels on Google Fiber TV.

Go get it, KC. No wonder Time Warner was terrified, 1Gbps/1Gbps $30 less than their 50/5 service.

we know cable co's across our great country charges more for less than anyone in the world.., as a great country I think its about time we move on from the copper wire!
xenophon

1 edit

xenophon

TWC response

Will be interesting to see how TWC responds. The areas of KCMO and KCK mentions are all TWC territory. I have TWC and in the area mentioned (midtown KCMO). Will be calling TWC soon and see what they'll offer to keep me (even though I'll dump them anyway).

Edit: TWC and ATT have made statements...
»www.bizjournals.com/kans ··· 12-07-26

•••••••••••
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Eh hem...

Google's also offering a third package of 5 Mbps, 1 Mbps up for free for users who aren't quite ready to jump into the 1 Gbps pool. Users simply have to pay the $300 installation fee, which they can pay in one lump sum, or pay in $25 a month increments for the first year.

We'll assume that monitoring and selling your entire home's connectivity and usage data to interested parties comes free of charge.
I would GLADLY give up my data usage history for FREE unmetered 5Mbps down/1Mbps up connectivity. As I've been quoted on another tech forum - Google can datamine my ass for all I care as long as they give me unmetered, unrestricted bandwidth in exchange.

Everyone has their price.

•••

SHABAZZ
join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA

SHABAZZ

Wow

This is amazing. Google needs to wire Socal...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Become a google whore...

.. annoy your whole neighborhood into signing up first.
Accept no excuses, quit your day job, hammer on their doors night and day until they Buy! Buy! Buy!
The lady next door, tell her insulin is way over rated, she needs Gigabit.
The old guy in a wheel chair, tell him Oxygen network is free with Gigabit, and better for him than the kind in those overpriced cylinders.
That family down the street.. their kids don't need braces if the have Googlebit fiber.
And the couple getting their house repo'd should order 200 of the "free"packages, for a mere $60k of google fiber installs their house will increase in value $400k to $1 million in value, and they can float another loan.

Yeah the take rate will be high at these artifically low prices, I wonder if the EFT is 5 figures if you don't last the full 2 years.

••••••••

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

Wonder

My question is how aggressive are they on this move. Is KS the one off showcase or the plan for the future. At this point all the cable co's are going to scramble if as I hope they expand fairly quickly now. We all know that Google took advantage of all the dark fiber that was laid in the last decade and we don't know how much they have. If ever there was a company to disrupt the cable co's and Telco's duopoly it's the Deep Pockets that Google has.

All I can say now is for the them to Spread out Fast. I want my Google Fiber NOW!

•••
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

telco fantasy

Obviously, nothing about telephony in this presentation.. $120 for internet and basic video only. This or a variation of this google rollout is what Verizon's FIOS would have been (couldn've should've, etc) had they not strayed from the path into investor greed, stock holder revolt, management micromanaging and white collar corporate parachutes & ladders, franchise dictatorships (my-way or the highway), cherry picking, selling out copper geographies, etc...

I dunno, a measly 5 megabits for free? If anything, they should have it at the fastest of what's offered by telco & cableco in the area as a demonstration of the difference between innovation and getting robbed by your (former) incumbents. Apparently, they are concerned about apathy to subscribe and PAY so the difference in speed has to be "VASTLY" faster vs 15, 25, 100 megabit for free. Why pay for gigablt when what you would pay $40, $50, $100 w/ an former incubment is free.. and that's my only complaint.. other than that, Kudos..

Nevertheless, if anyone (Kansas City or not) wants and Ooma for telephone... You'd think they'd throw in google voice integration for free if you buy internet or internet+video... NO?

»go.ooma.com/referral//?r ··· =WEZ4487

•••
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

channel lineup

I don't see any Disney corp. channels- Disney or Espn. Praise Jesus.

•••••••••••••••••••
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Might move now

I might move to Kansas City now.

••••••••••••
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Is this all you can eat?

No meters, throttling or QOS for favored services?

While the price/performance is drop-dead fantastic, if it's just straight up connectivity with no limits, this is my vote for the most significant aspect of the service.

Not to spoil the party but I hope Google offers subscribers free prophylactics. Imagine a 5,000 device DOS attack with 1Gbps upload!
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Re: Is this all you can eat?

Yep, all you can eat even the free 5/1.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to rradina

to rradina
All that stuff would cost Google more money than not bothering with them. I wonder how they will deal with the costs of the upcoming "Six Strikes" policy.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Why...

Why... do you need a local 2TB box for video, if you have low latentcy Gigabit? this would be perfect for edge or cloud based DVR service.
Why... make every TV a WiFI AP, couldn't a few dongles on unused cable jacks cover even the largest house many time over? WiFI would be disappointingly slow after wired anyway.
Why... such an artifically low price, is service so bad that noone would buy at, say, fios or cable triple play pricing? Google trying to learn that if you offer all you can eat prime rib buffet for $1 a day, many will buy. What happens at $12.95 is a lot more interesting.

Once upon a time Netzero offered FREE and low priced ad supported packages and they were (briefly) popular, until people learned what "FREE" cost.

••••••••••••
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Google Price Innovation

Wow 5 mbps free. Google finding a way to apply their web app and android business model to their ISP service... impressive. That's some truly amazing price innovation, and will utterly destroy the competition.

I'd like to think that because Google and its stock is essentially controlled by its founders, if this experiment turns out to be even mildly profitable Google will expand to other non FIOS-covered cities.

•••••••••
hussle87
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

Fiber is the future

Maybe this announcement will kick verizon in the butt into rethinking a phase 2 of fios.

••••••••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next