spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-26 18:39:28: Sprint's second quarter earnings once again show mixed results as the company tries to revamp itself to remain competitive with AT&T and Verizon. The company posted a widening net loss of $1. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Correction

Network Vision cell sites will never have WiMAX on them. To start, they'll have PCS 1x/EvDO/LTE turned on. Plus, in some caes, 1x at 800MHz. Later, they'll turn on LTE at 800MHz, once Nextel/iDEN is gone (RIP tape-measure-sized phones). Around this time, assuming they're still around, Clearwire's 2.5GHz TD-LTE will be integrated into that infrastructure on an as-needed capacity-focused basis. No WiMAX though.

Side note: until Sprint has LTE deployed over a large area (at least larger than AT&T), they'll have to keep unlimited data for smartphones as a differentiator to keep people on their service. Once they have a network that's as fast, if not faster, than AT&T/Verizon, then they might start looking for ways to increase revenue (i.e. limited plans). However my bet is that even then they'll have better pricing per gigabyte than Verizon or AT&T (I'd expect $30 to buy 5GB of data at that point).

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

Where's the feet?

That vision multi-node base station is so high tech it the tower doesn't even touch the ground.

Futuristic stuff (and crappy Photoshopping).

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH
said by exocet_cm:

That vision multi-node base station is so high tech it the tower doesn't even touch the ground.

Maybe it has below-grade concrete footing, and guywires that don't show in the pictures, who knows. Yes, I do also agree it could be due to crappy photoshop though.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

iPhone

I currently have an iPhone 4S with them and while the data performance can at best be described as unreliable, the voice and SMS service is fine. When my current two year commitment is up in October 2013, I might opt for an iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 (whatever they are calling it then) but that will really depend upon Sprint's unlock policy at that time. Right now, I am unlocked for international SIM cards but not domestic, which makes sense. However, if Sprint refuses to unlock fully at contract completion, I cannot see a reason to get yet another iPhone from Sprint since for domestic purposes, my current 4S will be basically useless (no I do not want to jailbreak it or use unofficial unlock methods).
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to exocet_cm

Re: Where's the feet?

said by exocet_cm:

The tower is right behind it? See that big red thing?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Go Sprint Go!

Go Sprint Go!
Just keep on trucking.

Best thing that ever happened to Sprint was the iPhone. Made the rest of this possible.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
When they get the LTE going won't it make all those 1.5 Million iPhones obsolete?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
Given that the iPhone doesn't support LTE on any carrier, what's the difference for Sprint vs. others carriers?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

When they get the LTE going won't it make all those 1.5 Million iPhones obsolete?

Lets be honest, these days a phone seems obsolete 4 months after you get it.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

scott2020

join:2008-07-20
MO
reply to IPPlanMan
I sure hope they can get their network speeds up. This is only 1 example so I know I'll catch grief for it, but I see this all the time. The 56k down is Sprint so-called 3G. Most times I see 150k or less. The 807kb down is forced 3G roaming on US Cellular minutes later at the same location. I've been all over Missouri, even in Sprint's backyard in Overland Park, and their 3G is always SLOW. I know these numbers mean next to nothing to the average Joe, but when it takes over 5 minutes to load Facebook, if it loads at all, people will say screw this!!

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY
That is part of the network vision plan. Current 3G backhaul is terribly outdated in many places but it will be upgraded for both LTE and 3G.

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

There you go again, Karl...

While Sprint continues to try and use unlimited smartphone data as a competitive edge, growing financial pressure means it's still likely that the unlimited data offer will die sometime during that time frame.

Though you waited until the last sentence of your blog post, you just had to slip it in there. I'm sure everyone who frequents DSLR gets it, you think Sprint will eliminate unlimited data. Never mind that they have repeatedly stated their commitment to unlimited. Must you beat this drum on just every article about Sprint? And for what? So that maybe in five years you can say "See, I told ya so!"

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to WiFiguru

It doesn't touch the concrete pad though.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23

Sprint

If they can get the Network Vision going and soon, then they will be in a good place. But...the way they have handled the LTE launch has gotten a lot of people mad in the launch cities who can
t find a LTE signal to lock in on. That and there seems to be some software radio issue with the EVO LTE, locking on 4G for a second then switching back to 3G, that they already knew about before it was released and still haven't fixed that problem. Also you got the tower software issue that the Sprint engineers knew about and admitted to where the towers wouldn't report issues. They just assume people are going to wait until they fix it with Network Vision.

I am glad I went with Cricket. Maybe once Sprint get their act together, I might entertain going back but it feels damn good being on prepaid and much cheaper too.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

Sprint - the 3G joke

I've been a Sprint customer for going on 12 years now. They have until the end of my contract (December) to get their crap together. If things aren't smooth by then, I'm gone. Sprint has been bad in the Chicago area for years now, but it has gotten terrible in the last six months. It's to the point now where if I don't have a 4G signal on my Evo, I can't do anything. Phone calls sound terrible. Text messages can take hours to go through. Their 3G is beyond worthless. Unlimited data is only cool if you can actually use it. Last year I was in the Boston area, and everything was great out there. Fast and responsive. So I know what Sprint can be. But they haven't been that out here in a long time.

I have no love for Verizon or AT&T (especially AT&T), but what's the point of paying each month for a service that I can barely use?

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL
reply to scott2020

Re: Go Sprint Go!

said by scott2020:

I sure hope they can get their network speeds up. This is only 1 example so I know I'll catch grief for it, but I see this all the time. The 56k down is Sprint so-called 3G. Most times I see 150k or less. The 807kb down is forced 3G roaming on US Cellular minutes later at the same location. I've been all over Missouri, even in Sprint's backyard in Overland Park, and their 3G is always SLOW. I know these numbers mean next to nothing to the average Joe, but when it takes over 5 minutes to load Facebook, if it loads at all, people will say screw this!!

The top speed is typical of what I see during the day on USCC, also. I also switched from Sprint, using the loophole of "material adverse changes" when they reduced my employer discount. Last night, I was getting about 1800 down on USCC! My cousin came over with his Sprint iPhone a few weeks ago. He couldn't even download this Speedtest app. Yeah, that's how bad it was!

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL
reply to cookeys

Re: Sprint - the 3G joke

said by cookeys See Profile
I have no love for Verizon or AT&T (especially AT&T), but what's the point of paying each month for a service that I can barely use?

Would you consider US Cellular? I don't know what their service is like in Chicagoland, but in downstate, it's great! Yes, unfortunately USCC doesn't have a huge selection of phones, either. I have a feeling they're about ready to introduce a few more, though.

duh

@sbc.com
reply to exocet_cm

that's because it is behind the pad and not on it.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

Best thing that ever happened to Sprint was the iPhone. Made the rest of this possible.

Care to explain? The iPhone hasn't made anything possible...especially considering the huge cost to Sprint to even get it in the door.

tlylework

@steadfastdns.net
reply to jhacker

Sprint has been the step child of Wireless for years, but I am not sure why anyone would want to bail on them now.

I cannot find the prices I am paying for my two phones anywhere else, plus it is unlimited so the peace of mind is awesome. Add to that they are upgrading their entire network, which should be completed sometime in 2013, I will wait it out.

Verizon's shared data is a money grab, and AT&T is well, AT&T.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to n2jtx

Re: iPhone

AT&T and Verizon have a more generous unlock policy for domestic?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

1 edit
reply to openbox9

Sprint has more subscribers than ever due to the iPhone.
Further investment in WiMax by Sprint would be throwing more money into a black hole. Dan Hesse realized that the company was at risk of slipping past an inflection point... a point of no return if substantial competitive changes weren't made. Hence, Network Vision and the iPhone. Sprint can afford the debt right now. The network needed a complete overhaul to be competitive and offer top of the line devices, and that's what Network Vision does.

The majority of people have come to Sprint specifically for the device and the price (unlimited data, etc). If Sprint wasn't offering the device they wanted, in this case the iPhone, they wouldn't be customers.

Truth is, most of these customers will stick around for the LTE iPhone when Sprint gets it this fall and Sprint will land quite a few new ones due to the price gouging that AT&T and Verizon are doing.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to morbo

Re: iPhone

said by morbo:

AT&T and Verizon have a more generous unlock policy for domestic?

AT&T has the best unlock policy for completed contracts providing a full unlock. At this point, Verizon and Sprint's policies are the same as they will unlock for foreign SIM usage while under contract but there is no policy for full unlocking at contract completion. AT&T will not do any unlock before the contract is up.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Stephouse Wireless
reply to cookeys

Unfortunately, my experience with Sprint was largely the same. Their 3G is barely usable; it's been slowing down for the past two years. Who cares if you have unlimited data when you're getting barely dialup download speeds?

I'm fairly happy with Verizon's network, despite the cost. 3G speeds are acceptable, LTE is very fast and already covers a lot of territory, even though it drains battery at an alarming rate. Still, it's nice to have the 4G option when you want to watch a YouTube video in HQ.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IPPlanMan

I feel like Apple is hurting themselves long term by charging phone companies so much money to use their phone. I'm not sure what they are buying besides permission.

T-mobile would have been better off with iPhone, maybe it would have avoided possibility of merger with AT&T. If paying all this money for the iPhone makes Sprint go under, Verizon + AT&T will inevitably get more control over the iPhone, and make it less profitable for Apple.

Maybe Apple's international market is big enough to make it not matter. They seem to be doing very well for themself, but it makes me wonder.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to swintec
I don't think it should be that way, but Sprint has no reason to care.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to exocet_cm

said by exocet_cm:

/\ What "duh" said....

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to IPPlanMan

Sprint only added a net of 283K subs, all thanks to prepaid and MNVOs. So while the iPhone may have brought in a few new subs and retained some of the existing subs, I'm not sure that you can claim it as Sprint's savior...especially since the company says it won't make any money from the iPhone for three more years.

I agree that further investment in WiMax would be silly at this time.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to axus
said by axus:

If paying all this money for the iPhone makes Sprint go under, Verizon + AT&T will inevitably get more control over the iPhone, and make it less profitable for Apple.

Wasn't an issue for Apple during AT&T's exclusivity. Wasn't an issue for Apple when VZ began with the iPhone last year. Apple has proven itself resilient with the pricing of most of its products...and I don't see that changing any time soon.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to exocet_cm

said by exocet_cm:

It doesnt need to... concrete pad is just for equipment.