dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-30 07:52:53: While the cable industry likes to pretend that cable "cord cutters" don't exist (or that they're a lower class of human being), apparently the feeling is quite mutual. According to a recent survey released by deal-aggregation website TechBargains. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

hmm

MY problem is that with stars gone from netflix a lot of movies and programs got dropped from netflix. To gte what I want I would have to pay for a lot of service to get everything and that ends up just as much as my family cable package from cablevision.

Also cablevision recently rearranged their packages to give more of a choice and I got encore added for free.

I guewss for certain areas this works but I do not see cord cutting saving me money in the long run.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Re: hmm

said by majortom1029:

I guewss for certain areas this works but I do not see cord cutting saving me money in the long run.

Everyone doesn't fit the same profile. Some people cut the cord but expect to find substantially the same content elsewhere (network's site, Hulu, season episodes on DVD with Netflix once they are delayed, etc). Others may get what they can from freely available sources, and just settle for other content to fill the available time void. And finally, some will just say screw it and do something more productive with their time.

We cut the cord several months ago. We don't currently pay for any additional subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime). Kids already played video games a decent amount of time, so any subscription during that time is wasted. And the amount of reading the family does as a whole as skyrocketed. If a greatly discounted package became available we might consider it, but I doubt we'd resubscribe at this point.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by cdru:

Everyone doesn't fit the same profile. Some people cut the cord but expect to find substantially the same content elsewhere (network's site, Hulu, season episodes on DVD with Netflix once they are delayed, etc). Others may get what they can from freely available sources, and just settle for other content to fill the available time void. And finally, some will just say screw it and do something more productive with their time.

You left out the people who simply go to The Pirate Bay and download whatever they want. You can't deny that that's happening.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Rekrul:

You left out the people who simply go to The Pirate Bay and download whatever they want. You can't deny that that's happening.

That part was covered by "Others may get what they can from freely available sources". Not everything on every channel is available on TPB or other non-legal sources, especially in a timely manner. Some series on the lesser watched networks just don't generate the interested to get them pirated. Or time-sensitive content such as sporting events aren't all that useful when they don't get posted until at least several hours after the event has finalized. Some people might want to see their favorite football team still when they play MNF, blacked out, or they live out of market, but most probably just watch the highlights online or read about it.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by cdru:

Not everything on every channel is available on TPB or other non-legal sources, especially in a timely manner. Some series on the lesser watched networks just don't generate the interested to get them pirated.

I know what you mean. Try and find copies of R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour!

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do".

Aside from that, I need my YES channel and HBO. lol.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

Who cares about what the "cool" thing to do is? It is unfortunate that people really never get out of high school mode.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

BQUOTE= Italian926...Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do",,,,,,,,,

Who said cutting the cord is not a "cool thing to do", I understand you may need your HBO fix but for others Its all about implementation....

Example... I cut the cord yrs ago in favor of OTA and media player streaming. At one of my residences I have Comcast business class ( no cap) My two phone lines are 1 Vonage for business line, 2 nettalk for home phone line. ( cell with TMO). there are 5 TVs ( 1 in a guest room) in my house all flat screen ( LED & LCD) and all have a connection to the OTA antenna, and all TV's have there own Sony Media player attached and all wireless networked to the home network ( SMP N100 & N200 DLNA supported).

All media players have access to Crackle, HULU and Netflix for Video streaming (I pay for the last 2). They all have a bevy of radio apps from slacker to pandora on each media player Not to mention my android phone has the Sony's app on it that allows me to control all 5 media players at any time from my phone ( never a lost remote). MY Home network is separated by use of a different router than my business network, and the home network is set up on DLNA in which I also have a 2TB WD my book live networked in where I store all our family movies videos pictures music and ( cough.. digital copy movies), and I have access to all of that from one phone and can stream it to any TV set, laptop, or digital device in my house!

When I show off that I/they can watch regular TV for your local info and news then just switch over to the media player for almost everything else similar to on demand , that I never lose my remote All I have to do is pick up the house phone and call it, and That I can stream my family moves to any TV in the house, Lets just say I've had family, friends, and colleagues over and have shown them my set up and they all have though it was quite cooool !

Not to mention a Colleague and his wife stayed the night quite some time ago ( due to a weather related flight cancellation and it being to expensive to book an extra night hotel stay). They resided in the guest room and before I went to bed I checked in on them to see if they needed anything, my colleague was happily in bed watching a tv show from netflix from the media player, and his wife was on her Ipad streaming a new movie from my WD book live that she so desperately wanted to see but was not available on demand from there cable provider yet. before he left, He asked to make sure I send him my home network specs as he wants to set a similar one himself.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

1%'er?

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

LOL yes my house in the suburbs of Chicago I am that 1% er, anyway the sad part is as I said one of my residences. At my "snowbird" residence in Central FL I have my elderly grandparent living in the house ( so it does not stay abandoned) and there is no good OTA signal in that area what-so-ever, so the only thing I keep there is basic cable for them on Comcast and the lowest channel package that includes the ONLY one channel they like to watch...WGN.... ( look up where thats broad casted for free at) ... GO FIGURE!

You win some, you loose some...

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2

said by buddahbless:
channel package that includes the ONLY one channel they like to watch...WGN.... ( look up where thats broad casted for free at) ... GO FIGURE!
Then feed them the chicago OTA ala your own aereo. A Haupaggue card, and some software.
fuzzholio
join:2002-04-30
Shingle Springs, CA

fuzzholio to ArrayList

to ArrayList
yeah i cut the cord back in 2009 when i was laid from a company that i gave 13 years of service to... built me a nice HTPC with bluray and i stream everything to my 52" and when people come over to my house and i tell them how i stream from netflix,Hulu,Crackle etc. and how much i save they tell me"that's pretty cool"...
bka591959
join:2012-06-20
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Hahahahahahahaha, you think paying a cable/sat bill makes you Cool? Hahahahahahahahaha, you just made my day!

My 14 year old son and all his friends think I am the Coolest Dad around because we can watch all the Cool shows (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Falling Skies, Fringe to name a few) any time they want, all commercial free on phones, laptops and TVs.

Dude you need to get a Clue!

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2

Anon

LMAO! you made me laugh! i can do that and still keep cable!

And you son and his friends must have low standards on "cool" because anyone can do it- it's not cool. it's called adopting. And the "article" is about people dropping CaTV NOT Dish/DirecTV. Which proves my point- that they don't count DirecTV/Dish in with "cord cutting". This story is flawed like all the rest of them. Bloggers need to come up with new things to talk about.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Interesting... when people see my media center PC with my library of on-demand movies & TV shows from my network drive (not to mention Netflix) they are always amazed. They have no clue such a thing was even possible. The usual first question is 'But where does the cable wire plug in?'

You seem to forget that a large percentage of people (in the US at least) are technologically dumbed-down by the Apples of the corporate world; they reach more customers that way. Trust me... not anyone can do it.
bka591959
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959 to NWOhio2

to NWOhio2
And I USED to do those same things while paying the cable bill. Then I woke up and said "Why am I paying cable for add ridden, forced to pay for content I have absolutely no interest in, and crappy service when I can get all the content we watch with out paying them"? The answer was simple, quit being a cable drone and cut the cord!

Some people just like the hive mind I guess

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Mizzat to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Honestly, if someone came to my house , and I didnt have TV service, Id be embarrassed ! lol Sorry guys, "cutting the cord" will never be the "cool thing to do".

Poor people have big TVs, rich people have big libraries.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL

caseywor to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Deleted double post.
caseywor

caseywor to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Some of the most "cool", "hip" type people I know don't have cable anymore except for internet. They spend more time outside, or taking part in hobbies. After my contract and good deal from Mediacom ends next year, there are no guarantees I will keep TV, I think I can save that money each month and find a new hobby to do with the savings, and get on with life without so much TV. I find myself watching the same 4 channels or so anyway. I think there is a significant number of people who fit another cord cutting class, the "we watch too much TV anyway" group. Netflix and Hulu are cool, but do we even have to have them on all the time to stay entertained?
bka591959
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959

Same here. All the cool and hip people I know watch what they want, when and if they want. They refuse to pay the cable/sat company to keep appointments and watch commercials in order to do so.
It's a "Cool and Hip life style"! (That's a dig at those old farts ITALIAN926 and NWOhio2;)

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

I'm cooler and hipper than you and your friends.
I watch TV at work.

I'm sure you make 7 figures and your Secretary watches TV for you but my clients will make you pay my cable bill. Or break your legs.

Savage Lucy
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Inner Space

2 edits

Savage Lucy to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I cut the cord in December 2010 and fu@k whats cool. But you want to know whats truly cool? Saving $200 each month.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

MY problem is that with stars gone from netflix a lot of movies and programs got dropped from netflix. To gte what I want I would have to pay for a lot of service to get everything and that ends up just as much as my family cable package from cablevision.

Also cablevision recently rearranged their packages to give more of a choice and I got encore added for free.

Starz being dropped was the best thing that happened to Netflix. That was some of the worst quality content that Netflix had. If all of the Netflix streaming content was like what I saw from the Starz streaming content, I would have dropped Netflix streaming years ago. I always hated when I picked a title and a starz logo showed. Since it looked like crap. So I would just delete it from my queue. Once Starz content was removed from Netflix streaming, it was so much better since I didn't run into crappy looking titles anywhere near as often.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

I agree, Starz HD made my head literally spin on Netflix, and it is still that way on-demand. No point in taking Dramamine before every movie.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
Honestly, I never noticed the difference with Starz content. But I don't own an HD television.
bka591959
Colorado Springs, CO

bka591959 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
I have to admit I do miss Stars, but I am embarrassed to admit it was just because of Spartacus
fairlycrazy6
join:2011-03-07
Broken Arrow, OK

fairlycrazy6 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
My problem with cutting the cord was I couldn't find a reliable source for FX so i went back.
It also hurt during football season last year.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties

Premium Member

What really is sustainable

that is high priced? And who is doing this research? I thought cord cutters are non-existent and not a problem! (sarcasm)

Been a cord cutter. Not by choice. When individuals lose an income source, when families have to scale back (thanks to Parent's for their Great Depression frugalness), when gas prices and food prices escalate (domino effect),... one should look at what one needs versus wants. And having a service that flips channels, removes them/adds multiple ones on a monthly whim, raises prices annually (content not improved, but shuffled), analyzes viewer habits and creates packages catered to PROVIDER not viewer, has a model driven by content and ads (ads aimed at 5yr old mentality with wallet of 50yr old)

If costs were halved, we would definitely go back. But when (let's call it basic HD since SD is supposed to be gone...right?) a standard package has hidden fees and STB/DVR rentals... it adds up to more than $40/mth (more like $100-$120 depending on # TV's and size of family). For some, that $40+ can fill their gas tank, pay for new clothes (kids do grow), go toward school money for kids, treat family to a movie night... but when you see what is really on TV lately, and that most can derive entertainment from Redbox, network streaming, Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, it really adds up. Inflated prices, in a recession economy does not make sense for the consumer.

(Funny thing, kids go over their friends house that have TV... and their parents talk with us about it and say they want to do the same thing...but eventually whose family will be the remaining ones to send the kids over!)

Hey, it's like coupons: once you find the ones that save you $$ on what you purchase, you think you won't stop using coupons?
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG

Re: What really is sustainable

We had DirecTV since 1996 but "cut the beam" nearly two years ago. We were shelling out over $70 a month for STANDARD service, the Total Choice Plus plan, on one TV. There are a couple of channels we miss (Discovery, A&E, BBCA for example) but for the most part the incredible amount of commercials was obnoxious and content was terrible. I guess it made it easier to cut the cord.

The $70 was quickly eaten by increasing taxes, cuts in my husband's pay, rising medical copays and bills, our daughter's college costs, gas and food hikes and so on.

Does anyone know of a site that has really good information on roofmounted OTA digital antennas? We'd need a powerful one; we're 50 miles from either Metro Detroit or Lansing.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

Re: What really is sustainable

said by ShellMMG:

We had DirecTV since 1996 but "cut the beam" nearly two years ago. We were shelling out over $70 a month for STANDARD service, the Total Choice Plus plan, on one TV. There are a couple of channels we miss (Discovery, A&E, BBCA for example) but for the most part the incredible amount of commercials was obnoxious and content was terrible. I guess it made it easier to cut the cord.

The $70 was quickly eaten by increasing taxes, cuts in my husband's pay, rising medical copays and bills, our daughter's college costs, gas and food hikes and so on.

Does anyone know of a site that has really good information on roofmounted OTA digital antennas? We'd need a powerful one; we're 50 miles from either Metro Detroit or Lansing.

Visit the AVS Forums. Go to the HD Technical forums. There are plenty of OTA/antenna threads there.
thehopeful
join:2006-11-17
Burlington, ON

thehopeful to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG
said by ShellMMG:

Look into the Gray Hoverman. »www.digitalhome.ca/ota/s ··· antenna/

The OTA forums at Digitalhome.ca are also worth a read. Excellent info on OTA, and a good community
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to ShellMMG

Premium Member

to ShellMMG
Another source for information concerning OTA reception....

»www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx
voxleo
join:2009-09-12
Los Angeles, CA

voxleo to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG
IF you have a tv that will decode the hd signal and used to have cable, you can still get the broadcast stuff without having cable if there was ever cable installed and the cable drop itself still remains even if you don't have a cable box. The drop actually functions like the broadcast ota antenna they still put the analog signal out on the cable lines so you don't even NEED a digital tuner on the tv, really. Tv tuner will just tune to the stations that are available. Bonus is that sometimes you even get bonus material when cable networks run a promo channel or something like a preview for their basic cable subscribers you will also get that content too because it goes out unencrypted.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 edit

n2jtx

One More Step

I am at broadcast basic now and with the excellent UHF antenna setup I have, I could probably cut cable altogether though I watch one or two exclusive cable channels. Probably one more price hike will do it.
rtalcott
join:2003-12-02
Pelzer, SC

rtalcott

cut the cord decades ago

I cut the cord decades ago...didn't see any point in the content then and still don't and that was before I had the Internet to play with...

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis

Premium Member

I will not pay again until...

They lower the price of cable to be basically the infrastructure cost--cost to maintain the physical plant and rent out the equipment, then I will consider having it back in the house... I'm thinking ~$20/mo for what is now ~$60/mo.

Otherwise, the only way I will take it back is when they allow you to choose the channels you want in an ala carte fashion so that you can build your own line-up. It's insanity to pay $xx.xx for literally a hundred+ channels you will never even tune to. Charge about a $1/mo per channel.

There only a handful of shows that I like. I dislike the idea of disrupting an environment that might allow some of those quality shows to be produced (i.e. declining revenue forced them to focus on the absolute drivel that has the highest profit)... but at the same time, I'm not going to pay then $60-80/mo just so that I can watch SciFi channel.

••••

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

CUP of salt please, Karl

the problem with quote survey is their is then little context of how the survey was done.
»www.techbargains.com/inf ··· he-cable

1640 people who took the survey, while being offered a $100 prize at a site dedicate to bargain hunters.
They claim/the results show 3 in 10 have cut the cord...sometime in the last five years, even if you thought all the answers are truthful, 30% seems more like the number who discontinued while moving, or unemployed (most were in the under 25 group) or living with other, or got no TV set or moving to tibet or ???.
True cordcutters (those with the income to support their longterm existing subscription that then CHOOSE to permanently quit AND use alternate sources to avoid commerial sources is more likely around 3% and 33% of that would be 1%. which probably is a realistic "I will never return!" number, for those that actual intend to follow through.
Lots of people skip breakfast and have this "Hey man! I'm fasting! additude, at least until they walk in to the sub shop at lunch. "hey man I'm starving, let's get a couple footlongs! )
temporary displacement is more common than longterm commitment.

••••••••••••••
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound

cut cord 6 months back

Agree with the cutter posters. Why bother. In NYC the better cable shows like Burn Notice or The Closer make it to local stations. CBS comedies & dramas do well enough. Internet for rest of giggles. Wouldn't go back, and less chance of TWC price cut than a newspaper doing so let along movie theaters.
eReading on Net is also a pleasant method of rounding out time. Rest on art-photo making to escape netness. Ah, netness I like that. Coined a phrase that captures the madness and intentness possible from this mixed blessing.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

1 recommendation

Edge1

Premium Member

Happy cord-cutter here

Cord cutter going on 3 months now. Its been fantastic and at a savings of $80-$100/mo. Over the air antenna (awesome picture - better than cable), Roku, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. The Roku and OTA antenna are up-front one-time costs, then Netflix plus Amazon Prime equates to about $13-$14/mo. No DVR needed really. Roku/Netflix/Amazon Prime content all can be re-played from previous stopping point. 98% of advetising is gone. I actually get annoyed watching OTA TV and having to sit through commercials. Never looking back. Comcast raped me long for enough. No more, and damn happy about it.

DaveMac
@pacbell.net

DaveMac

Anon

Re: Happy cord-cutter here

You may want to look at a DVR....pause/rewind live TV, record programs.....adds to my OTA experience ten fold! I have the Channel Master CM-Pal 7000. Worth looking into
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

GraysonPeddi

Tallahassee?

You can't get cable TV turned off unless Comcast wants to charge you $10 more per month.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

Re: Tallahassee?

I never thought that no one wouldn't honor a disconnect request! I am a Comcast user in Tallahassee as well. I am happy with the lower end cable package. Digital Economy isn't anything to write home about but the pricing (I was paying $30 before I bundled it with Internet) but the pricing isn't too bad IMO... The Internet pricing on the other hand...

Needless to say, I am at my price limit on the TV side.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

provided but i dont use it

Basic old fashioned analog cable is with broadcast clear quam channels are provided here. I rarely use it instead i stream most of my TV viewing VIA netflix or other sources. That said most people around me are hooked into cable by need of an ISP and those happen to be the same CABLE TV providers. Many are forced to keep some sort of TV service by pricing / bundling practices that make stand alone internet not pleasing. Let's not forget to add in CAPS designed to protect cable TV revenue. In most markets / areas cable TV may be the only real choice for an ISP due to lack of alternatives . Even in areas that have FiOS as an option this is just another glorified cable TV provider and while they don't have caps NOW and were dangling sweet deals to hook people in after these sweet deals ran out folks were back and forth between the whatever cable TV company and FiOS. Thats not really cut cording its just going back and forth in circles. True cord cutting requires an alternate TV source(s) that will work for you AND your family and an alternate ISP besides cable OR FiOS. This only leaves DSL however many can't get desired speeds compared to cable. Only other option is a WISP and many can't get a good enough signal in their home OR don't even have a WISP in range for this to work. Cell phone internet is usually CAPPED so it would only be very last resort for most.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

I'd Consider It

FIOS is currently expanding its service footprint where I live. If it ever does make it to my house I might consider going back if I could get a good deal, and play Verizon and Comcast against each other to get the best deal.

But right now, I'm staying cable-tv-free.

•••

Ytsejamer1
join:2008-01-18
Somersworth, NH

Ytsejamer1

Count me in...

I am one of those cord cutters and am very content. Both my wife and I have been reading books (imagine that!) more often to fill time. It's a little more mentally stimulating than a lot of the drivel on TV.

But aside from that, we augment our watching with a netflix and hulu plus subscription. Once I got Hulu for the wife, she was perfectly content to watch her network shows on her schedule. It's like having a network TV DVR really.

All in all, I'm very content without the $125/mo bill for TV.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

mob (banned)

I cut the cord a few weeks ago

And I'm not missing it at all. The only thing I am missing are annoying political ads that repeat 2-6 times per commercial break (I live on the border with a "battle ground state" so the bombardment is sickening).

I am putting the money I save into something that's actually fun to do.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

I will have to get cable. :(

In my old house, OTA was fine and on the right side of the hills/mountains. The new house can't get OTA due to a big hill/small mountain blocking the transmitters. So my family has to get a TV service. Sure, I can use Internet but caps is a problem. And I don't know how good my cable's Internet is over there too in the rural/ranch area. Also, no DSL and FIOS even in Verizon area. Ugh!

•••
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

1 recommendation

Sukunai

Premium Member

Depends on what you need

I was paying 65 bucks to a cable company for what? Shitty programming in bundles THEY decide at times of day THEY controlled so they could tell me which shows I was allowed to watch and with commercials too.

Is Netflix everything? Of course not and only a complete idiot thinks it is everything ever filmed.

But Netflix is a mere 8 bucks, not 65 and considering how much it DOES have, and I can watch an entire series, if I want, when I want, show after show any order I want, and no commercials at all ever.

Yeah it hasn't got every mega film feature ever screened, oh the horror. It DOES have more than enough for an average individual. I certainly have no complaints.

My wife was watching Emergency and Mc Millan and Wife the other day. Yeah you can say 'that's old shit'. So, how is it worse than new shit? Because most TV is shit to someone eh.

I can watch my Netflix on almost any of my devices, I don't even need to be at home at all. Suck on that cable.

Cable TV is what is wrong with a lot of the entertainment world, and they are as clueless as is Hollywood when it comes to reality.

Fact you do NOT need cable, and you can't spin it any way that suggests we do.

I've watched a few films in our local theatre in spite of not wanting to, but really EVER film I have watched recently, has been about wanting to watch it with a friend or family, it had nothing to do with having no choice. I COULD always just say screw them and download it.

My mother still uses cable for 2 reasons. A she's 80 and too old and set in her ways and she doesn't have a computer or internet access nor does she plan to get them. That and she has a need to watch bloody soap operas.
I could always just get her a device for Netflix, ditch her phone and cable and save her the 130ish bucks a month she is paying out and only be paying the 70 I do for my own needs.

But she is suffering from apathy, and really that is I believe what keeps cable going, too many people with too much apathy to join me.

She might lose being able to watch her damned Soap opera, but like my wife, she'd just discover all the things she'd be too busy enjoying to care. My wife also whined about losing her drivel cop shows and soap operas. She hasn't complained since she converted though.

I'm currently enjoying all the shows I DID like from the past 30 years and doing it at my speed my way. It's no biggie if I can't watch the current season of Game of Thrones on Netflix. That's why I have torrent software installed.

Cable companies, not am I only not going back, but I'd not mind if you also went away.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Re: Depends on what you need

I agree. I had my mother cut the cord too, so she has netflix, hulu+ (which she watches all her shows minus CBS), and basic for $13 (mandatory in NY). So her phone is VOIP, so it total she pays $36 for all this and $45 for TWC HSI. So $80, not bad and no terminal fees or taxes that is the price.

My FIOS bundle has me paying $100 (+ netflix) with the above + extreme which is a lot of channels. But Verizon is deprecating my 25/25 and they are going to jack me for $25 more a month when my price protection goes away AND a downgrade to prime which means no DIY which I watch. So this means that FIOS is useless to me at this point, so I will be going to TWC and the basic broadcast, and move my voip back to voip.ms and be done with it.

With netflix (TV) and amazon prime (TV+ paid movies), OR redbox which is 2 minutes away I am stuffed w/ content on the cheap.

It will be interesting to see what big red does w/ redbox, because it will be a flop at $3-$4 when you can get the disc for $1.25. I'm thinking $2-$2.50, and maybe they cut into itunes for TV shows. I can wait a year to watch for free. My kids watch 100% netflix and don't even know what a commercial is. I love it.

I'm no teeny bopper so I can easily defer my impulses to have the latest, so no $2/show rip off. I think a show for $10-$15 for the year viewable on any medium without commercials is the sweet spot.

In any case with this last move, Verizon has priced themselves out of the water, and they are so far behind the 8 ball on apps and remote viewing that they can only pitch fibre so much when TWC in my area has the same speeds (granted upload is less) for a way cheaper "naked" price. To get in the game Verizon wants $75 for internet on something that cost them $4. Negative. TWC -> $40.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

perspective...

I challenge you to go to tvguide.com and see which content you can really not live without ($$ PAYING FOR $$).. with more and more cable-tv channels moving to the internet streaming and more movie & music content available for free or low cost-- does a cable-tv subscription still become relevant?

Google Fiber will learn this in spades when people register for their FTTP service. If you have GIGABIT (or any reasonable high speed internet) won't you buy the internet only and source your Video over IP yourself as a cheaper overall way to save money?
The free tablet remote and simplistic VOD/video recording/shifting to various screen simplicity not withstanding can be done with a streaming dvr box on your own home network.. why pay $50 a month for the content when you don't have to?

You can regularly find 10 - 12 cable-tv subscription channels streaming online including news networks, local channels, channels from other countries (which you would not ordinarily have access to) and loads of music & audio resources. You can use an android app such as tune-in or a PC app such as radiosure to play radio from around the world.. the expanded content from just 5-10 years ago is amazing... If you told me CNN & a dozen cable-tv channels would stream online for free 10 years ago, I'd say you were crazy..

Those 3/10 people know something the other 7 don't.. the tipping point is now (this year) not 5, 10 years in the future. Backlash against data caps from AT&T and Comcast will reach a head and change will come. After that, the floodgates of users using internet only video streaming (aka subscription cord cutting) will be into the millions instead of hundreds of thousands.. Yeah, consumers will get stuck with higher internet bills... sigh.. but saving $50, $100+ for content will probably be worth it for no caps, higher bandwidth and a cheaper video lunch..

franknalco
join:2005-01-27
Littleton, CO

franknalco

more for less

I think the key here is that just a few years ago there wasn't any alternatives to getting cable. I basically had it by default. Now, I have options. I get Netflix, MLB.tv, and NBA Season Pass (more of the sports that I love than I ever had before), and an occasional rental from VUDU. I don't get anything I don't want, I get more of what I do, and I save some money. I am sure there are plenty of people who are happy with cable subscriptions and hundreds of channels, but at least some alternatives are popping up for the rest of us.

Uversefan73
@mycingular.net

Uversefan73

Anon

I have uverse internet

If I knew I could get a la carte good selection of channels I like with decent video on demand for $30-$50 a month I'd take it but I won't pay over $60 off some garbage with 200 channels. One that boils my head some people pay >$100 a month for tv, that's crazy. Isn't just better to cut cord and instead go to a nice vacation for one week once a year?

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

SysOp

Re: I have uverse internet

said by Uversefan73 :

Isn't just better to cut cord and instead go to a nice vacation for one week once a year?

Goes on vacation-

Parents off having fun while kids watch TV in the hotel kids zone

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Cut it 6 years ago and not going back :D

Thanks to Netflix,Hulu plus and the internet i gave up on cable. Also cablevision made it easier for me to ditch then because they suck "nads" their crazy price increases and their amazing lack of customer service got me upset. The day i was suppose to go to their office and pay the bill we had a huge snowstorm.The Mayor even came on TV and said please stay home,Cablevision offices were close so i call and ask then can you please give me an extension until monday morning where i would be able to go into the office. What they say was "sorry we can't do that" and i was wait i been a customer since 92 on your highest tier. Yet they cut it once that happen i got mad and cut the service once i netflix came into the picture.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

SysOp

Parents depend on the TV to babysit

Parents use the TV as a babysitter, regardless if it's OTA, Cable or ISP. Why would they want to cut the cord?

No one needs TV

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Re: Parents depend on the TV to babysit

Yeah, lousy parents maybe.
page: 1 · 2 · next