spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-31 10:32:12: We've all seen more than a few public Wi-Fi initiatives rise and fall as cities realize that it's simply not very profitable selling Wi-Fi service many places already offer -- for free. ..

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

The problem with WiFi and offloading too

WiFi is great for on premises coverage. But I don't believe large companies should be covering large areas and hogging what little unlicensed wireless spectrum is available to consumers. It's guaranteed to interfere with private usage of the spectrum as it did in Hollywood.

This goes for utility meters and any other device as well.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

Same

They put wifi in the wrigleyville neighborhood of chicago. (via at&t)
On the off chance i can connect to it, it either never works or its slower than my old earthlink dialup account. (it's ran by at&t so big shock there..)
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to nothing00

Re: The problem with WiFi and offloading too

That's a problem with unlicensed spectrum. Assuming max power limits are satisfied, one is subject to being stepped on by another radiator. It would be nice is knowledgeable engineers were good stewards of the crowded spectrum when building out these networks, but that tends to make the problem more challenging and costly.

psychis98

@verizon.net

wrong technology

Wifi wasnt meant for community wifi, but for residential. At 2.4 ghz (or so) it won't penetrate properly to so the job. On top of that the backhaul was probably weak so there's a problem.

If they used the right routers they would have beamforming and wouldn't trample on everyone's stuff.

Johnson Controls is a HUGE company. They are trying to get into home automation and their first run products are a nightmare. I tried a thermostat (wifi NG. They are not ready for prime time.

In any case the whitespace and 802.11ac (even better 802.22) can definitely work due to the lower frequencies, more advanced tech, beamforming, and interference handshake. They are just a little too early. And don't forget that backhaul like Sprint....

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to openbox9

The experience might have been positive if the network actually worked and worked well. Instead of the customer complaining about their own service being blocked, they could have cancelled that service and pocketed the savings.

IT

@comcastbusiness.net

Hollywood, CA??

Sounds just like Hollywood, FL...

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to nothing00

I believe the frequency utility meters are on are licensed, at least in my area/state.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IT

Re: Hollywood, CA??

Well- since it IS a story about Hollywood, FL

" Hollywood, Florida paid $3.8 million to a company named Johnson Controls for a Wi-Fi network that has never actually worked.[/b] "
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain
Expand your moderator at work