dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-07-31 18:28:30: Last week when Google announced Google Fiber, the company also launched a unique effort to determine what Kansas City community would get fiber next -- which includes free 1 Gbps connections for community buildings. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

treich
join:2006-12-12

1 recommendation

treich

It wont be complete google owned network.

Course it wont be complete google owned network at all they would have to be using like level 3 or somebody to get bandwidth transport to KC, MO and I like to see the live speeds soon as they get these customers hooked up for real and not some BS lie so they can get money from these customers.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

somms

Geez! Just start knocking on doors...its only $10!

»www.gfiberforum.com/foru ··· er-Flyer

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

The Demand is insane

As I said earlier, even if I had to wait the full 18 months I'd still be thrilled.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

Yep,

I'd be all over this. I have an HTPC with a ceton cable card drv card here. Did that to bring down my cable bill. Still paying more then KC residents will pay with Google. Also with what they are using I wouldn't need the HTPC. Google come to NJ please!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to treich

to treich

Re: It wont be complete google owned network.

said by treich:

Course it wont be complete google owned network at all they would have to be using like level 3 or somebody to get bandwidth transport to KC, MO and I like to see the live speeds soon as they get these customers hooked up for real and not some BS lie so they can get money from these customers.

Google has their own backbone to interconnect their data centers and POPs which has a lot of peering and yes they do connect to Level3 for transit to reach the networks that they do not peer with. Every other ISP has to rely on peering and/or transit to get data to and from their networks. Even if they did not use their own backbone for commercial Internet access but just to access their DCs for Google services it isn't as if there is a shortage of commercial transit bandwidth from the wholesale providers in the city.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Google FTW

Finally an ISP that freely admits cost is all about the physical network, not about the bandwidth you use.

I would get this in a second.
Who wouldn't pay $300 for 7 years of 5mbps internet???
Getting 1gbps connection is very temping for file transfering and using my companies VPN. Literally everything you connect to will be maxed out based on the other ends connection.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

1 edit

1 recommendation

xenophon to somms

to somms

Re: Geez! Just start knocking on doors...its only $10!

Karl, that report is old. Over 30% of hoods are now registered but it has slowed down to a crawl. The problem is many many people in valid fiberhoods are not able to register due to a bug. I can't register, my entire building cannot. There are major problems with the registration site. Google has acknowledged this but no media is mentioning it.

I've also tried addresses in low income areas and not many work. And nearly all of my hood cannot register even though it's a valid fiberhood.

Karl needs to report the registration problem. No other media is addressing the registration problems in valid hoods.
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned)

Moving to Kansas City

I'm seriously considering moving to Kansas City now. Before I'd never cared for the place and it wasn't even on my radar but this is a serious quality of life benefit the city is about to get.

Seems like it's turning into a high-tech city - the perfect place for people with computer science degrees.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

my only gripe

I absolutely love this, but my only gripe is the "no servers" bit.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

I absolutely love this, but my only gripe is the "no servers" bit.

Kinda like no servers on every single other residential connection?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Servers are not SUPPORTED on most residential connections. On Google Fiber, they are NOT ALLOWED/PROHIBITED/etc.

There is a very big difference here.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by ArrayList:

Servers are not SUPPORTED on most residential connections. On Google Fiber, they are NOT ALLOWED/PROHIBITED/etc.

There is a very big difference here.

A lot of consumer connections servers are NOT ALLOWED/PROHIBITED/etc.
xenophon

xenophon to 09129800

to 09129800

Re: Moving to Kansas City

There are a lot of open tech jobs in KC. Not a top 10 tech town but is top 20 - about 3000 tech/IT shops in metro. That might jump.

This is KCMO...

»www.city-data.com/forum/ ··· cmo.html

street views
»www.city-data.com/forum/ ··· ews.html
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Re: my only gripe

Do they have a business connection that allows them?
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned) to ArrayList

to ArrayList
Every ISP states this but they never enforce it.

I'd be surprised to see Google enforce this unless someone decides to open up the next Megaupload and host it right on their Google Fiber connection

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
Excite@Home, ATTBI, ATT DSL, Comcast, TWC, Charter - just about every company i've ever paid for residential service has prohibited hosting servers.

At one point, ATTBI used to actively scan their network to search for HTTP servers... At the time their only offering was 1.5mbps down, and 128kbps up...

Typically, the part about hosting servers being prohibited in your contract is actually just an excuse for them to cancel your service if it becomes clear that you're using a cheap residential connection to run a profitable server hosting business. Otherwise, most companies dont want to bother with actually policing their network.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

1 edit

zed260 to treich

Premium Member

to treich

said by treich:

google pays nothing for bandwith they are a tier 1 isp practicly with this launch

google pays nothing to connect to over half the net they have peering agreements with Comcast, time Warner cable, charter communications, cable vision, cox communications , rcn . and loads more they dont have to pay anything to transit those isps networks in fact rcn pays google for the rights to be able to direct connect to there nationwide network to bypass level 3
xenophon

xenophon to 34764170

to 34764170

I don't know how Google would enforce 'no servers'. If they do I suspect they would not limit outbound bandwidth but might limit the number of outbound connections on the uplink to a dozen or so concurrent. That would be reasonable as you could still use things like Orb or Playon for personal/family use.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
Every residential provider prohibits servers.
The issue though is your computer is always a server on the internet, so it never made any sense.

As long as you are not running a high traffic business website then no one is going to care.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
with gigabit internet, there are many ways to make money (legally) other than trying to abuse the service with servers; to get your $70 worth..

it will be interesting to see what they do should someone try to share 'copyrighted cable-tv service over gigabit.. or to a social broadcasting site like ustream or justin.tv; consumer's might have their own take on how they want to interact with broadcast content.. this will be a problem for all content providers as the ISPs raise broadband speeds, particularly the upstream.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

1 recommendation

somms to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

»www.xmission.com/legal#au

Server Services on DSL and Residential UTOPIA
XMission allows DSL and UTOPIA subscribers to run and maintain their own servers.

My FTTH ISP residential provider is cool w/servers...
jvanbrecht
join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD

jvanbrecht to zed260

to zed260

That is incorrect..

Hop 7 of a trace to google.com
7 google-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.50.62) 54.481 ms 49.640 ms 50.306 ms

UUNET (now Verizon) does not use $-gw.customer on peering routers, only customer routers, therefore google is paying as a customer, not a peer.
xenophon

xenophon

Re: Geez! Just start knocking on doors...its only $10!

You can track registrations here...

»fiber.google.com/cities/ ··· er=check

Note the E and S side and downtown (N) are low - is because very few people can register due to a bug. I live in the section on the N edge of Green loop wrapping around a couple hoods where very few can register.

Right now about 44/130 (33%) of valid fiberhoods are registered but its come to a near halt because few others are able to register.

I've tried dozens of addresses in valid fiberhoods that don't work. Sent it to the KC Star and they are silent.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

said by r81984:

The issue though is your computer is always a server on the internet, so it never made any sense.

As long as you are not running a high traffic business website then no one is going to care.

I honestly think the real reason this is in most TOS is not just to limit network congestion but also limit angry phone calls. If someone hosted their business at home on a non business rated conenction and the service goes down they will be calling in complaining and crying about lost money.

I have a feeling anybody with a really tech smart member of their WoW guild might want them to host the Vent/TS3/Mumble on a spare linux box though.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to somms

Premium Member

to somms
Very rare.
Obviously there will be small local anomalies to servers, but almost all dont allow them in their terms for residential.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to treich

Premium Member

to treich

This is no different than any other business. ATT/VZN/Comcast/L3 all connect Google to the world, but that is their backbone divisions operating pretty much independent of their customer facing divisions. Much like how Apple is suing Samsung's phone division and competes with that division at the storefront. But their gadgets use parts from Samsung's chip fab and LCD panel divisions.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170

Care to show me where it says that they are not allowed? You can start with your own ISP.
ArrayList

ArrayList to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72
My previous ISPs(Mediacom and AT&T and Comcast) all said that they would not support it, but it was allowed for personal use. This pretty much is in line with what you said about not making money on your internet connection for a server hosting business.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

2 edits

zed260 to jvanbrecht

Premium Member

to jvanbrecht

said by jvanbrecht:

That is incorrect..

Hop 7 of a trace to google.com
7 google-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.50.62) 54.481 ms 49.640 ms 50.306 ms

UUNET (now Verizon) does not use $-gw.customer on peering routers, only customer routers, therefore google is paying as a customer, not a peer.

they dont have peering agreements with every isp thats true but with a large amount they do on a net basis google pays nothing

»www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/we ··· dex.html

6 percent of internet traffic in 2010 probably close to same amount with such a large portion of internet traffic any isp who can get free transit from google can cut there costs for providing internet by 6 percent instantly so isps will fight to some degree to provide google with the cheapest most attractive option for internet

»www.wired.com/business/2 ··· ndwidth/

once you get big enough isps will fight to have you go over there network because if you dont go over there network they have to pay others to get access to your site

heres a question for you if your isps blocked google.com youtube.com etc and lowered your bill 6 percent would you take the lower bill or switch isps id switch instantly losing google.com and its search engine would not be worth it to me or to a lot of people google and major isps know this
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to treich

to treich
Currently GoogleFiber-KC uses Level3 and XO. My bet is that Google's own ASN will be added into that mix around launch.
page: 1 · 2 · next