spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-07 12:51:08: Charter Communications joined the TV customer defection festivities today with an earnings report that shows the cable operator lost 66,000 video subscribers on the quarter. ..

covfam

join:2012-03-05
Black River Falls, WI

Charter is trying its best to lose one more!

While i love my Internet service from charter, i get 30 times the speed that i got from centurylink for the same price i payed centurylink.
But i can say i made the mistake of getting charter cable for my tv when i moved. and i can truly say compared to my 6 years with dish network Charters video service sucks and has some of the most incompetent support services that Ive ever encountered in any industry!.

For example because i dislike their DVR & UI that hasn't changed or been improved in over a decade, i got a tivo and have now spent the last 2 weeks and talking with 14 NO JOKE! separate and different representatives to get a cable card sent out to me so i can install it myself. during that time someone has accidentally disconnected my tv service twice and i had to get it reconnected, and once had my DVR service disconnected. and been told we will call you in 48 hours when we ship the cable card to you. well that never happened and when contacting support they dont have anything on file, and send me to accounting which say they dont have anything on file. when i emailed them a printed out copy of the chat they said oh that person didn't have the authorization to do that, then send me to another person.

To this day it still hasn't been resolved and im sick of it and have ordered a powered tv antennae and will try to get it to work. if it does ill ditch charter video services, if it doesn't ill go back to dish!

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

They still dont believe its real

NOTE:

But Cablevision said Tuesday that it held the number of TV subscribers steady at 3.3 million in the second quarter. It's typically a weak period for cable because college students cancel cable ahead of summer break and others cancel as they move to summer homes.

BYLINE: This cord cutting is just not real.

Some items of note:

RPS $155.12
Cable advertising up 8.3%
3.6m customer relationships on 5.6m passings (64% attach rate - excellent)

Capex way up 6 months L $512m vs $345m last year. Good news they are spending on infrastructure.... Bad news it's draining cash. They still gave a dividend though...

Since 2007-2011 AMC Networks (spin off revenue is up 58%) while inflation CPI over the same period was 8.7%, WELL outpacing it while customer subs remains relatively constant.

The problem they have is that they have a 64% attach rate whereas Verizon which is in most of their patch is in the mid 30's. So there is going to be an ugly battle or if the cableco swap happens maybe they give them a pass.

In any case their cash flow has taken a major hit ( $100m) and their financials are nowhere near as solid as TWC, T, or VZ earnings, so they are definitely going to have issues if they don't keep attach ratio up there. Sooner or later the network revenue is going to reach a pinnacle (I would say we are close) because the inflation is WAY above core inflation with no real value benefit other than content and advertising which can be highly fickle.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to covfam

Re: Charter is trying its best to lose one more!

said by covfam:

While i love my Internet service from charter, i get 30 times the speed that i got from centurylink for the same price i payed centurylink.
But i can say i made the mistake of getting charter cable for my tv when i moved. and i can truly say compared to my 6 years with dish network Charters video service sucks and has some of the most incompetent support services that Ive ever encountered in any industry!.

For example because i dislike their DVR & UI that hasn't changed or been improved in over a decade, i got a tivo and have now spent the last 2 weeks and talking with 14 NO JOKE! separate and different representatives to get a cable card sent out to me so i can install it myself. during that time someone has accidentally disconnected my tv service twice and i had to get it reconnected, and once had my DVR service disconnected. and been told we will call you in 48 hours when we ship the cable card to you. well that never happened and when contacting support they dont have anything on file, and send me to accounting which say they dont have anything on file. when i emailed them a printed out copy of the chat they said oh that person didn't have the authorization to do that, then send me to another person.

To this day it still hasn't been resolved and im sick of it and have ordered a powered tv antennae and will try to get it to work. if it does ill ditch charter video services, if it doesn't ill go back to dish!

just go to your local office, since the phone support is nearly useless for anything but ordering services.

Daniel D

@embarqhsd.net

Charter TV

Charter's cable is awful. I'm on DirecTV and my mother has Charter. Well her cable bill isn't that much lower than mine and she doesn't have DVR service and has far less channels. Her "HD" quality is horrible too honestly its worse than SD on my DirecTV service. I also have another friend that complains about how awful looking Charter's video quality is and problems with HD on his local channels.

I've heard positive things about Charter's internet but honestly the Cable TV service just seems to be of poor quality and over priced.

covfam

Black River Falls, WI
reply to Chubbysumo

i agree if either of the t2wo "local" charter offices wich are an hour from my house HAD them. ive tried already.

covfam

Black River Falls, WI
reply to Daniel D

Re: Charter TV

Daniel D, your correct chart cable is awful, i dont understand why but our charter internet is awesome, i cant figure out why thier internet services are so good and their tv is so awful since we had moved and have had charter cable tv we have found that 90% of our tv viewing is through our panasonic smart tv that alows us to watch our amazon instant video,our netflix and hulu plus accounts, between those 3 the only thing we watch on "cable" is dvr'ed Hallmark channel movies!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Should improve since HD additions

With the additions of dozens of HD channels and lower pricing Charter numbers should start improving. They shouldn't have waited so long to add more HD. Unfortunately they seem to want to placate the luddites that want to keep analog cable forever.

CharterTVbad

@k12.ca.us

Chater TV just terrible

I went from DirecTV to Charter, then back to DirecTV again after I discovered several things.

1. Charter's HD boxes havei nterfaces that make Nintendo's original console look modern.

2. Charter's HD DVR box rebooted like every 20 minutes after blue screening watching HD content (live, mainly). I went through 4 different HD DVRs trying to find one that didn't do this. The Moxi was the worst at this.

3. Charter's PQ is horrendous. Their SD looks like TV from the 80's. Their HD looks like TV from the 90's.

4. They HD lineup totally sucked compared to anyone else when I was with them. Granted they've added more now, but it still doesn't compare to Dish or DirecTV.

5. I had constant issues with the TV service, but for some reason their internet and voice was rock solid. I can't figure out why a cable company sucks at their core service, TV, but manages to get two recent add-ons: HSI and Voice, right.

6. It was never cheaper than DTV for long, their bundled special prices are only 6 months at which point you have to fight to get back to the lower price as before.

In short, I gave Charter 2 years, in which I even moved to a different neighborhood in hopes of getting better service. I even went through a fire in one neighborhood and Charter had to rewire it from scratch - still no improvement even with all my neighbors houses gone...

I'm happily paying Charter for HSI and Voice, but they will NEVER get me back on their TV service.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to elefante72

Re: They still dont believe its real

I cancelled my Charter cable services back in April - and I still get monthly invoices from them - with a balance due of $0.00

Kinda like they're keeping me on the rolls even though I quit them.

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN
reply to 88615298

Re: Should improve since HD additions

Charter has a long way to go on HD. Yes its gotten better, but not even close to Directv.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to CharterTVbad

Re: Chater TV just terrible

said by CharterTVbad :

3. Charter's PQ is horrendous. Their SD looks like TV from the 80's. Their HD looks like TV from the 90's.

Most of their SD is still analog. Once they go all digital that will change. The digital SD looks fine. Your comment about HD is bullshit.

They HD lineup totally sucked compared to anyone else when I was with them. Granted they've added more now, but it still doesn't compare to Dish or DirecTV.

What they HAD doesn't matter. What they HAVE does. And please tell me what are you missing on Charter that DirecTv has? not to say Charter can't improve but the difference now is negligible.

I had constant issues with the TV service, but for some reason their internet and voice was rock solid. I can't figure out why a cable company sucks at their core service, TV, but manages to get two recent add-ons: HSI and Voice, right.

When you HAD service with Charter which you admit was YEARS ago. Once again not germane. That's like me complaining about rain killing my DirecTv signal 12 years ago. Is it valid TOAY? nope.

It was never cheaper than DTV for long, their bundled special prices are only 6 months at which point you have to fight to get back to the lower price as before.

Charter unbundled is cheaper than DirecTv unbundled and you're not forced into a 2 year contract with a high ETF.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Big Dawg 23

said by Big Dawg 23:

Charter has a long way to go on HD. Yes its gotten better, but not even close to Directv.

define "not close". be specific.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

1 edit
reply to 88615298

Re: Chater TV just terrible

How is my opinion BS? It's my opinion, not yours. If you're blind to PQ, it's not my fault. Maybe you should try another service so you can see the difference. Where I live you can see the difference, which clearly isn't your area so maybe its better where you are, but out here is has never improved.

And my experience IS valid today since I have friends with Charter TV TODAY. And guess what? NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

Charter has not innovated like DTV has with better boxes, better signal quality, better lineups, etc, etc. They are still running the same old crap. Why pay for crap when you can pay a similar price for a far better service?

ETA: By the way I was with Charter 4 years ago, not 12. Things haven't changed much in 4 years, so it's not years and lifetimes that you want to insinuate...

And Charter was missing a LOT of sports channels in HD, and not even carrying some of them in SD. That was important to me, as I prefer watching only HD. Do they have them now? Most of them, yes. So they have improved their lineups, I'll give them that.

zolcos

join:2010-05-19
Houghton, MI

dishonest manipulation of statistics

The situation regarding video is of course probably more dire than the numbers suggest. Because of Charter's obtuse pricing, I essentially get charged for basic video even if I am on an internet-only package (they call it a "single service surcharge" or something like that). I have basic video only because my bill is exactly the same as it would be without the video... so why not get what they already make me pay for, right?

I am beginning to think they do this for no other reason than to cover up cord-cutting statistics.

Premium
West Tenness

said by zolcos:

The situation regarding video is of course probably more dire than the numbers suggest. Because of Charter's obtuse pricing, I essentially get charged for basic video even if I am on an internet-only package (they call it a "single service surcharge" or something like that). I have basic video only because my bill is exactly the same as it would be without the video... so why not get what they already make me pay for, right?

I am beginning to think they do this for no other reason than to cover up cord-cutting statistics.

Actually you are not counted. And in fact is if you actually bother to look at a quarterly report from Charter they make a distinction between digital and non digital customers. Go with DirecTv if service is so shitty. simple.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Big Dawg 23

said by Big Dawg 23:

Are you talking about its picture quality? If so, then it always like that for all cable TV companies. OTA is still the best of both satellite and cable though.

zolcos

join:2010-05-19
Houghton, MI
reply to 88615298

Re: dishonest manipulation of statistics

said by 88615298:

Actually you are not counted. And in fact is if you actually bother to look at a quarterly report from Charter they make a distinction between digital and non digital customers. Go with DirecTv if service is so shitty. simple.

Why would I not be counted as a video subscriber when I most certainly am a video subscriber? And where did I say the service was bad?

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state

2 edits

Although CharterTVBad and BF69 are saying totally opposite things, both are correct. It's just the timing that's different.

In my area, up until about 6 months ago, everything CharterTVBad said was absolutely correct: HD PQ was horrible, SD was worse, HD lineup was pathetic, DVR interface was archaic, price was sky high and service was rotten.

But since then Charter has made a dramatic turnaround. While their DVR's still suck (I use Windows Media Center instead which is fantastic), their HD and SD PQ are now perfect thanks to SDV, they now have more basic HD than DirecTV or Dish. The addition of the Umatter2Charter reps online has made a massive improvement in customer service.

(Granted, some parts of the country may not be SDV yet, so the PQ in those areas will still be awful. But my understanding is most of those areas will be upgraded soon.)

For the first time in my life, I had to switch FROM satellite TO cable to get all the HD channels I wanted. I was shocked and amazed, because Charter's track record up to now has been awful. And since satellite has raised prices so much and dropped so many channels, Charter's price and lineup are actually better than satellite now. My only wish is that they would give their DVRs an interface from this century and cut the fee a bit. I realize that will never happen, but I've solved that problem by using my own cable card tuner.

Charter went from the bottom of the heap to near the top in no time flat. SDV and vision were a huge game changer for them. They deserve a second look if you haven't seen them in a while.

Back to the topic, nearly all pay tv providers are losing subs. It's probably a combination of cord cutters and economic conditions. The fact that Charter has slowed their subscriber loss is actually a positive sign for them. I'd like to see them succeed and keep this turnaround going if only to keep the competition in the video space alive.

covfam

Black River Falls, WI

in my area charter PQ is in fact far below both my mothers direct tv (3miles away) and the Dish network reception at my farm house 7 miles away from here, i got the charter tv at my new house in town as part of the phone & internet package. while the phone and internet are fabulous, in my area (west centeral wisconsin) charter tv really bites. and the DVR &UI is horribly clumsy compared to my dish network DVR&UI, my mothers Direct TV's DVR&UI, and my Tivo DVR, as well as my brother in laws first gneration tivo, i just dont understand how they can have such great phone and internet but bad tv

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to covfam

said by covfam:

i agree if either of the t2wo "local" charter offices wich are an hour from my house HAD them. ive tried already.

they might not, but they should. If they tell you they dont, they are probably lying. I bet they also suggested that you just "rent" one of their DVRs too at the local offices. Back when I used a cable card, I had to push hard at the local office to get them to give me one(they initially said they didnt have them, but they did, just didnt like using them). they are supposed to have the cableCARDs easily accessable, meaning, tell them if they dont cough one up in the next week, you will be filing a complaint with the FCC. also, ask in the Direct forums, they are much more helpful than phone and most local offices.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2

Charter Loses 66,000 Video Subscribers

How many did DirecTV gain? :-p
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified