dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-07 15:03:42: One of the biggest benefits of the shift to LTE will be the introduction of high definition voice, a long overdue and potentially significant ramp up in current phone call audio quality. ..

elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit

elefante72

HD voice is 1x advanced

Karl,

HDvoice codec is 1x advanced part of CDMA2000 specs, not LTE per se. They will use a slice of the new spectrum for it, and then put LTE in higher frequency bands. NV 1900 spectrum.

In VoLTE (AMR-WB) HDvoice codec can be used. But for the launch this year on Sprint its 1x advanced on CDMA, not LTE.

BTW - Both devices need to support the codec for it to work.

HTH

Gozo8
join:2012-07-25

Gozo8

HD Voice

Talk about an oxymoron. I prefer Wideband audio.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Woohoo, hold music

I don't have an issue with voice quality as-is, but this will definitely help with hold music.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Re: HD voice is 1x advanced

I was wrong. It look like they are going to put it in the 800Mhz spectrum, not the 1900. Makes sense for better building penetration.

gballer
@reyrey.net

gballer

Anon

ummm

people actually talk on the phone still?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to vpoko

Premium Member

to vpoko

Re: Woohoo, hold music

said by vpoko:

I don't have an issue with voice quality as-is, but this will definitely help with hold music.

Since you need two capable handsets to make it work in cell to cell communication, how long before calls to landlines / POTS lines can make use of it?
beavercable
Premium Member
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR

beavercable

Premium Member

Hmmm

So will there now be a second mandatory $10 charge for this?

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

1 edit

vpoko to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

Re: Woohoo, hold music

I don't think they ever will. POTS is sampled at 8 kHz, which means (per the Nyquist theorem) that signals above half that (4 kHz) will be aliased, reducing fidelity. Unless POTS is replaced by something else (in which case it won't be POTS), that will remain a limit.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by vpoko:

I don't think they ever will. POTS is sampled at 8 kHz, which means (per the Nyquist theorem) that signals above half that (4 Hz) will be aliased, reducing fidelity. Unless POTS is replaced by something else (in which case it won't be POTS), that will remain a limit.

Exactly, however, you will be able to get it cell to cell and it is also starting to be seen more in VoIP setups. So start rolling it out now and as the backend matures, then it will be available.

Gozo8
join:2012-07-25

Gozo8 to gballer

to gballer

Re: ummm

said by gballer :

people actually talk on the phone still?

Yes, my skinny jeans wearing trendy hipster friend. People still call each other.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

Hearing Impaired

This might work wonders for the hearing impaired!

Unfortunately, I'm not going to Sprint. I don't make more than 30 minutes of phone calls and I prefer mobile data. I'm unsure if I can make use of Speex 16kHz for Android over LTE, provided that me and my family uses Android with CSipSimple that supports Speex at 16kHz.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to gballer

Premium Member

to gballer

Every one I do not read text or send texts.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to beavercable

to beavercable

Re: Hmmm

you're $10 for "high speed internet" will be raised to $20 to cover all the costs.

Nextel
@cox.net

Nextel

Anon

Call quality

I remember the first time I had used a Nextel phone, an old i600, I was amazed by the call quality. Over time I remember it got worse and worse, though I always wonder why their call quality sounded much better than the Worldcom phone I had at the time and my work provided AT&T.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger

Same here - Text/SMS is a waste of time/money, IMHO. I'll use email with a data package, but not text.

Sprint has always had good audio quality - this appears to be keeping the standard.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by en103:

Same here - Text/SMS is a waste of time/money, IMHO. I'll use email with a data package, but not text.

Sprint has always had good audio quality - this appears to be keeping the standard.

I do not even use it for email.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Nextel

to Nextel

Re: Call quality

Nextel's network had a killer network for voice. Data was slow and Texting at times- but it was NEVER designed for that
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL

GraysonPeddi to 25139889

to 25139889

Re: Hmmm

Are you a ten dollar bill?

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: HD voice is 1x advanced

said by elefante72:

I was wrong. It look like they are going to put it in the 800Mhz spectrum, not the 1900. Makes sense for better building penetration.

No, it will be on the 1900mhz PCS band as well. Per PRL design, the 800SMR band capable devices will scan the PCS channels for 1x(voice/text) connectivity first. If the phone is unable to acquire, it will scan the 800SMR band for 1x connectivity. That way only the phones that need the building penetration at the time will be on the 800SMR band. There's plenty of room on the PCS band for everyone, but not so much on the 800SMR band.

You'd never get to use HD voice if both phones had to support it, both phones in a network vision completed area, and both phones in a place where their phone could not acquire a PCS signal from the tower. Definitely not the design.