spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-09 16:42:38: Telecompetitor directs our attention to the fact that AT&T rather quietly this week launched a new wireless-based landline replacement service rather-creatively named "AT&T Wireless Home Phone. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Verizon HAS been doing it

Verizon has been doing this for over a year now. I utilize it so I have a "throw away" phone number to give people.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to 88615298

Re: Drop Fit Replacement?

And assuredly won't work without power.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

All the disadvantages of wireless

3.5 hrs talk time during power outages? Crappy 911. Yea, sign me up. NOT!

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to WiFiguru

Re: This is old news

said by WiFiguru:

said by IowaCowboy:

Wireless home phones are another gimmick from the cell companies. They are basically a cell phone and they give a false sense of security because 911 calls will be treated like a cell call (no or limited location information) whereas a landline (either traditional or facilities based VoIP like Comcast or Time Warner) will give exact location.

Actually the devices have built in GPS to support 911 on exact location of the device... just like cell phones. If you made a 911 call in your house with a cell phone, they would know exactly which part of your house you are in because of GPS.

No. Not even close.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to majortom1029

Re: hmm

said by majortom1029:

Thats actually not bad for say a senior or something. For me its not worth it because i already have something like 7k in roll over minutes. I very rarely call anybody.

Provided the senior never needs reliable 911. Yea seniors probably don't want reliable 911. Drink some more of that AT&T Kool-Aid.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

They have been selling wireless home phone at the AT&T store at Holyoke Mall (Holyoke MA) for about 5-6 months now.

I had the home phone connect from VZW and I broke the contract as I got an alarm system and wireless home phones will not work with alarm dialers.

I went with Verizon landline for a few months and it was costing me $65 per month so I went back to Comcast for home phone since the alarm company said it did not make a difference (just as long as it is wired properly) and since Comcast offered a sweet deal on a triple play.

Wireless home phones are another gimmick from the cell companies. They are basically a cell phone and they give a false sense of security because 911 calls will be treated like a cell call (no or limited location information) whereas a landline (either traditional or facilities based VoIP like Comcast or Time Warner) will give exact location.

I would not trust my family's safety on a cheesy VoIP or landline replacement service like Vonage or Magic Jack. Either traditional phone service or a facilities based VoIP service fits the bill because they have Quality of Service standards and have battery backup.

They should have a warning on any VoIP or home phone replacement plan that it should not be relied on for emergency communications.

What really bothers me is that my neighbor has kids, has an inflatable swimming pool, and no home phone (cell only household). Imagine if one of the kids drowned (hope it does not happen) and they found their cell battery was dead or try telling a 911 dispatcher where they are located. 911 calls in this area are answered by the state police and transferred to the local jurisdiction. 911 calls from a wireline phone are answered by the responding jurisdiction.

No way would I trust my alarm system on a wired phone line. Cell system is the only way to go for real security needs. Too easy for the crook to cut the line. The alarm may go off but no one gets called. It wasn't really more expensive per month, and was only an up front cost of like $200 or so. I've saved way more than that by not having a telephone line.

You must not keep up to date on E911 services as it sends the GPS coordinates of the phone. VoIP sends the address assigned to the account. And actually the cell E911 is more accurate as if someone had a large property the emergency response would know the farmer was out in the back barn instead of in the front house 300 yards away.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

othas3

join:2002-07-15
Los Angeles, CA

I live in an AT&T (formerly Pacific Bell) Hood....

...and I got one of those Verizon things at the beginning of the year...just to have. I still have my AT&T landline because I'm old and set in my ways and I'll never giveup my landline....and my Uverse 24x DSL...and my internet TV....and my FAX machine...and my alarm.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to digiblur

Springfield Massachusetts is technological desert. It would not surprise me they don't have e911 on cell phone there. In Chicagoland they have not only e911 in some locations but also some townships, like bloomingdale in Dupage, have a website where u can register any of your phone number and you provide there all details, address, relatives, medical information, directions etc. Once you call from your registered number they have everything in place.

moes
Premium
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

landline

Had my landline for 20 years now, same number and all, they think I am willing to get rid of it, nada gona happen.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to firephoto

Re: I was wondering

The real question is will Verizon and ATT compete with similar products in the same markets or will they simply target their 1996 breakup wired regions?

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: hmm

I cry foul. There are certainly fringe wireless areas but with the exception of a dead cell phone battery, I don't see any reason why wireless 911 wouldn't be as reliable as wired. Perhaps the location information might not be as good but there's also the possibility that the wired database is wrong (it happens).

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

The reason they don't go to the best place has less to do with the mobile phone providing location information and more to do with the 911 services in your area.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1

wish

I would like it being they have copper here already if they would offer landline pots without all the damn fee's attached.. After the initial rape, I might as well have a prepaid phone :-/

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to moes

Re: landline

What will you do when the number of customers on copper drops far enough that the plant maintenance costs a fortune for those that remain? Maybe that's 10 years out but it's eventually going to happen. If you think the local PUC will prevent rates from doubling, rates are based on cost and if they show costs vs. revenue are out of whack, they'll get a rate increase.

dathing

join:2002-01-09
Sykesville, MD
reply to nothing00

Battery Capacity: Ni-MH 1500mAh
Stand-by Time:
Up to 36 hours
Talk Time:
3.5 hours (GSM)
1.5 hours (WCDMA)

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless

1 edit
reply to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

said by WiFiguru:

said by IowaCowboy:

Actually the devices have built in GPS to support 911 on exact location of the device... just like cell phones. If you made a 911 call in your house with a cell phone, they would know exactly which part of your house you are in because of GPS.

No. Not even close.

Yep, my experience with the GPS in my two cell phones is that it does not even work inside my apartment (or most structures). Any time I have tried using a GPS dependent service from inside almost any building, the phone just hangs busy for several minutes and then informs me that GPS is "temporarily" unavailable.

Actually, in my apartment the only reason I can even use my AT&T cell phones at all is because I have a zBoost repeater with an outside antenna on a tall mast located on my patio (but that unfortunately does not boost the GPS since that is a totally different service). That lack of GPS is also the reason that I use a repeater instead of AT&T's 3G MicroCell device; the 3G MicroCell requires GPS in order to operate.

Also, FWIW, my GE DECT CellFusion phone system that I have been using for several years connects via bluetooth to both of my cell phones and allows the DECT handsets to use both of the cellphones as well as a POTS or VoIP connection (and they have a module that also allows connecting any RJ-11 device to the cell phones via bluetooth), so as usual AT&T is a day late and a dollar short with "new" technology. Rethink Possible indeed.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tmh

@comcastbusiness.net

Who would want this?

I can't remember the last time I actually used my landline. Come to think of it, I really should cancel it and save a few bucks.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to WHT

said by WHT:

Will it work for fax machines and dial-up modems?

Opps...I forgot the /sarcasm flag.

Anyway, saying it "it may not work" is code for "it won't work and we won't help you when it doesn't".

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

And Other Features

Ok, so it will do 3-way calling and call waiting, and voicemail.

Distinctive Ring?
Call-forward Busy (to a different number if busy)?
Call-forward No-Answer (to an entirely different number)?
Terminal Hunting?
Periodic Auto-Redial?

Nah............

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to en103

I'd love one of these for the house. It would be very convenient.

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: All the disadvantages of wireless

You're going to be talking for 3 1/2 hours during a power outage?

Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to JigglyWiggly

Re: Been there done that..

telco switches are electronic now - if a nuke goes off, nobody's phone will work

BiggA
Premium
join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Profitable

AT&T clearly isn't getting rid of copper anytime soon, but they want to offer a highly profitable service, as voice uses little network capacity, and yet brings in money. Customers should just get Ooma if they are really that tied to having a home phone.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to en103

Re: All the disadvantages of wireless

What else is there to do for entertainment except phone sex?

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to en103
When the outage last several days You bet, three and half hours is nothing

ThatFnGuy

@sbcglobal.net

Dang

Had I known this was news, I could have tipped you guys off to this about a month or so ago. It really seems like one of the better things AT&T is doing. This service cannot be added to the new Mobile Share plans. Speaking of which, I'm not fond of those plans.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Why is it so hard?

For people to call it POTS? It's not a plural of POT.

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state

Copper is Used for DSL Too

These copper lines are used for DSL too, not just POTS.

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to jjoshua

Re: Only $20?

probably $60 - just like POTS

Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to rebus9

There's no data in use with this device, it's voice only.