spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-09 16:42:38: Telecompetitor directs our attention to the fact that AT&T rather quietly this week launched a new wireless-based landline replacement service rather-creatively named "AT&T Wireless Home Phone. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to chgo_man99

Re: This is old news

E-911 depends on the state. Ohio and Michigan both have e-911 but it is only phone number. e911 was 2 phases location is hit and miss and was never required as they can obtain your phone number.

Toledo, OH
reply to moes

Re: landline

never heard of number portability?

Toledo, OH
reply to PastTense

Re: Copper is Used for DSL Too

not when those networks will go away as well.

Pair Gain

join:2002-12-23
Washington
reply to toro

Re: Use the SIM in a regular cell ?

• The SIM card provided with your Wireless
Home Phone is intended for use only in your
specific Wireless Home Phone device and
can not be used in a mobile handset.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to 25139889

Re: I was wondering

Currently this product is only available for select areas. For availability, ordering and pricing information, please locate a store near you.

Their web site says different. Where did you get your information?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

PLUS taxes and fees of about $12!

Don't forget to add the rip-off taxes of about $12.00 in addition to the service amount.

This is the main reason we dumped an AT&T land line in the first place.

$14 of taxes on a 12.50 bill. TOTALLY INSANE.

If this is coming off a cell tower, it will have the same f****** taxes a cell phone encounters.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

asa they should be able to get away with dumping pots and moving it to a new technology. the copper lines are 60+ years old in most areas, and need to be replaced anyway. So why spend the $$$ and replace them when you can move those customrs to a wireless technology? I've been saying for YEARS that smart companies would get rid of the last mile networks and move to wireless. ITS CHEAPER and easier to maintain.

BAD IDEA. I can easily see multiple cell towers getting overloaded if everyone switched to this.

Sure, replacing copper is a no brainer.. But we need to replace copper with.. FIBER! Having everything wireless is a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the spectrum needed to handle this endeavor would be enormous.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to 25139889

Around here in Western Mass; Holyoke Mall has payphones and Eastfield Mall last time I checked had a payphone. Enfield Square in Enfield, CT took theirs out. Maine Mall in South Portland, ME still has payphones. The Walmarts have payphones in the back of the stores as well. The facilities that have payphones have greatly reduced their numbers (such as Holyoke Mall had them in pods of four that now house one payphone per pod) and they are rarely used. My mother used one to call me at the mall once when she picked up what she thought was her cell phone and it happened to be an old one that happened to be deactivated. They also happen to have Payphones at resort areas such as the beach at Old Orchard Beach, Maine as they get a lot of tourists that don't want to pay international roaming on their cell phones to make a local call (where a payphone costs 50¢ for a local call where international roaming on a cell phone can equate to $2.49 per minute in US dollars which is why hotels have not taken out room phones).

There is still a residual market for payphones such as people who forget their cell phones or have a dead battery. I used a payphone once when I broke my cell phone and a collect call in 2002 cost my mother $15 on the home phone bill for a five minute call.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: All the disadvantages of wireless

Dude, how long do you think your landline will work? ABOUT THE SAME, unless it's a traditional copper POTS landline. Cable/Fiber gateways have batteries too!

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

said by meowmeow:

Dude, how long do you think your landline will work? ABOUT THE SAME, unless it's a traditional copper POTS landline. Cable/Fiber gateways have batteries too!

Exactly Dude POTS hard wired to the CO is best for 911. It can survive until the diesel generator runs dry. Like I tell folks at my point in life when I call 911 I want to know the FD knows EXACTLY what door to break down if I can't answer it. If you think cellular can do this you are delusional.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

E-911 depends on the state. Ohio and Michigan both have e-911 but it is only phone number. e911 was 2 phases location is hit and miss and was never required as they can obtain your phone number.

And with the AT&T device being discussed in this thread, it probably won't make any difference if you live in an area that fully supports all of the E-911 features (including GPS for mobile phones) unless the device is connecting through an AT&T 3G Microcell.

I could not find anything in the on-line documentation supplied by AT&T that even implied that this device supports GPS. However in several places there is a 911 warning disclaimer:

said by AT&T :

You should expect to provide your home address to the emergency response center responsible for sending first responders (e.g., police, medical assistance, or fire) to your location.

I think that the only way this device would fully support E-911 would be in conjunction with a 3G Microcell because the 3G Microcell does use GPS (and if my memory serves me, it also uses a manually entered street address that is expected to match the GPS reading).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to JimThePCGuy

Not traditionally, but I'm pretty sure this system can - not positive but I THINK they're registered to your fixed address since they're marketed as landline replacement...

Now, as for 911 - no doubt, hard wired copper POTS is best. But it's also gone the way of the dodo bird and is getting replaced with fiber. Fiber and cable do no better than these systems for battery life.

treyatl2006

join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA

I have Verizon Wireless At Home Service

I got the Verizon Wireless version about 8 months ago.. Its cheaper the At&t phone service because it comes with everything including long distance for $20. At&t cost about $50. It works well. There are a few gripes like dialing. You have to dial the number quick or else it would dial an incomplete number prematurely. But I got around that by dialing the number first on my cordless phone and then TALK. Instead of pressing TALK, waiting for the dial tone, and then dial the number.

treyatl2006

join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to JimThePCGuy

Even though I have barebone dsl, I can still dial 911.

chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to en103

A decade or so ago, AT&T started replacing POTS service in parts of Napierville Ill with some sort of RF carrier link. Claimed that it would "improve service" The only thing I noticed was that the voice quality dropped. They refused to allow unhappy customers to switch back.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

'If your State is answering your 911 calls from a cell phone you really need to lobby them to get up to date.. Around here all calls are handled on a county basis with dispatchers able to tell exactly where you are if needed. That ability really trumps all. Imagine how often that gets used in accidents and such. They dont use the tracker unless they have to. But i cant really imagine any state being so far behind as answering cell phones at a state level. i really doubt you are correct on that tho to be honest. I was involved in a accident in the woods in the middle of a State park and they were able to find me. So anyone that thinks they dont have the ability to do that is wrong. If they can find me in the middle of a 2000 acre park they can find anyone if they want. And it was only because i had a cell phone.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to NetFixer

911 doesnt use the gps built into your phone. If you have a signal they can find you.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to 25139889

Found me in the middle of hickory state park and i dont have gps built in. The only thing i was told is leave my cell phone on and up the pipe line a ambulance came.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

Interesting -- but it is the worst of both worlds

This is an interesting hybrid to bridge the POTS sell off; however, it really has the worst of both cell and landline worlds.

-It is using AT&T's cell network which means it is subject to the usual dropped calls, interference, etc.

-It must be plugged in to work. The advantage of POTS service is that you don't need power for it to function. Lose power and lose your hybrid landline. How is this different than a regular cell phone?

-not as reliable 911 service. Let's face it. Cell 911 is not the same as landline 911. I didn't see anything in the article about this, but I do not think AT&T will streamline 911 like many of the VOIP providers do by linking the number to a landline address. The number will probably show up as a cell phone with no set address.

-$20 is overpriced for unlimited domestic calls. Especially considering the $20 of taxes and fake fees that will be added to pad the bill.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

POTS? no thanks...

Try Ooma.. you can buy that for about $100 - $180 and pay $3 - $5 a month in voip fees, and just use your broadband. It will pay itself off in less than a year.

Currently, the best deal is at costco for $169.99
»www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as···&topnav=

Right now, the less you buy from AT&T or VERIZON, the better..

alltechs

@ameritech.net
reply to 25139889

forget about wireline tech jobs......

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:98
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to en103

said by en103:

When AT&T / Verizon would do that.
They've been selling off POTS like rats sinking a fleeing ship.

The price is decent - $20/month unlimited or $10/month 'add a line' to existing wireless.

Only caveat gotta be somewhere where AT&T doesn't have POTS.

quote:
The offering, dubbed A&T Wireless Home Phone, became available in late July in “select domestic markets where we do not offer traditional landline service,” an AT&T spokesman told Telecompetitor today.

Verizon started out the same way with their home connect box. Karl even did the news article about it so he should know plenty about it. As time went on verizon expanded into other territories now anyone can get one in or outside of territory.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to en103

Re: Only $20?

$60? Exaggerate much? My POTS bill works out to ~$26, nearly half of which can be blamed on the Government:

Phone company charges:
Residence-1 Party Flat Rate: $14.93

Taxes/Government Fees:
Federal Tax: $0.78
FCC Line Charge: $7.22
USF Recovery Charge: $1.13
State Gross Receipts Tax: $0.37
Sales Tax: $0.21
Telecom Relay Service Tax: $0.08
E911 Tax: $1.50

Total Taxes: $11.29 (43%)
Total Service: $14.93 (57%)

Total Bill: $26.22

Mind you, I don't include long distance in that as I rarely make long distance calls, and I found a low cost/no-monthly free (Google 'Telna') carrier for those. Nor do I pay for unnecessary features like call waiting or caller ID. My POTS line exists solely for emergencies and for close friends/family to contact us. Nobody else has or needs the number.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Simba7

Voice-only.

Plus I'm sure it's a compressed, low-quality codec.

Very little bandwidth to worry about.

My questions are : taxes, and can it back-feed a house's regular phone lines?

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

said by 25139889:

asa they should be able to get away with dumping pots and moving it to a new technology. the copper lines are 60+ years old in most areas, and need to be replaced anyway. So why spend the $$$ and replace them when you can move those customrs to a wireless technology? I've been saying for YEARS that smart companies would get rid of the last mile networks and move to wireless. ITS CHEAPER and easier to maintain.

BAD IDEA. I can easily see multiple cell towers getting overloaded if everyone switched to this.

Sure, replacing copper is a no brainer.. But we need to replace copper with.. FIBER! Having everything wireless is a recipe for disaster.

Good idea.
It is cheaper to add another transmitter than to run copper wires.

I am sure this device will have a GPS lock just like with the cell repeater, or it will be locked into one cell tower only.
The whole point is they dont have to build up their entire mobile network to handle more mobile phones.
These will be fixed in one point, so they only have to expand 1 cell tower to service them. This is fixed point wireless not mobile.
I would not be surprised if the cost to run these wireless lines will be well under $1 a month over a 5 year period. They will get at least $19 profit per month per line.

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:98
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to ncbill

said by ncbill:

My questions are : taxes, and can it back-feed a house's regular phone lines?

if they made it the same as verizon's home connect box, it should be able to. Their home connect box looked no different than a ooma telo with an antenna on it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

911 doesnt use the gps built into your phone. If you have a signal they can find you.

That depends on the carrier and the capabilities of the E-911 call center: What is a GPS-capable phone, and why is it so important for E911?

If you are in a high population density area with multiple cell towers communicating with your phone, then perhaps the E-911 call center can locate you using cell tower triangulation. If not, then they may only be able to make a guess as to which county you are calling from based on the location of the single cell tower to which you are connected. Not all of us live and always remain inside heavily populated urban areas.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
reply to moes

Re: landline

Well I guess when the time comes they can reclaim it then, because I'm not giving it up, also not going to port, heard way to many horror stories and with how many people in the family are ill right now and old, i could not be down for more then an hour.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

Agreed. Especially once you start talking about replacing DSL. The amount of wireless bandwidth (spectrum) required would be enormous unless they were to put cell sites at every city block. Might as well just run fiber everywhere.

Fiber is a high initial cost to build the infrastructure, but once it's in place the bandwidth is plentiful and dirt cheap.

TOliver

join:2007-09-19
Highland, CA
reply to morbo

Re: Interesting -- but it is the worst of both worlds

"The advantage of POTS service is that you don't need power for it to function."

Agreed - that's why I still keep an old "turn the dial" phone around. (In the past, I was really good at just touching red & green together to dial a number).