dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-13 10:41:27: As we've noted repeatedly, ISPs are so hungry to cash in on caps and overages, they're rushing toward implementing meters without making sure they work. ..

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Government corruption the problem

Cogeco and their ilk will do whatever they can to make as much money as possible doing as little as possible as cheap as possible.

There is no real competition, they all operate in an oligopoly with predictable churn. Prices and services are all fixed.

95% of the market is controlled by a small group of companies and they're all colluding and spending millions paying off lobbying regulators.

What we're seeing now is the end result.

Get used to it.

Things will get much worse before they get better.

Mike

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Government corruption the problem

Mike,

If ayatolla youse once, Ayatolla youse a tousand times....

STOP being so up-beat and optimistic !

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Trust us

Your usage is what we bill you.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

I'm Not Looking Forward To This

I might just leave for Verizon DSL the day Atlantic Broadband here in the US tries this.

3 Mbps can't be so bad, can it?

At least you guys have wholesalers in Canada.....for now.

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters

Premium Member

When will Cogeco Learn

This explains why I am with Teksavvy for my Cable Internet and not Cogeco. I told them, when they can give me unlimited bandwidth and 14Mbps service for $37.95, I would think about coming back. I doubt I will ever go back to Cogeco for internet.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: When will Cogeco Learn

You mean Unlimited USAGE.

But your point stands - That's why I went to START's Cable on the GOUGEco wire.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

Why Doesn't Measurement Canada Get Involved

I just don't get why this is not a Measurement Canada issue. If you are paying for measured goods and services
Fair Measure for All

Measurement Canada is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of measurement in the Canadian marketplace. We:

develop and administer the laws and requirements governing measurement,
evaluate, approve and certify measuring devices, and
investigate complaints of suspected inaccurate measurement.
Weights and Measures

The Weights and Measures Act and Regulations set the rules for the purchase and sale of measured products and services. The Act requires that:

measuring devices be approved for use in Canada,
only approved and certified measuring devices be used in measurement-based financial transactions,
owners and operators ensure their measuring devices function accurately and are not used in a fraudulent manner,
the quantities declared for products bought and sold on the basis of measurement be accurate within prescribed limits, and
only units of measurement described in the Act be used in commercial transactions.

The Weights and Measures Regulations specify:

the accuracy requirements for measuring devices, commodities, services and measurement standards,
the requirements for measuring device installation and use, and
the fees and charges associated with measuring device approval and certification.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Re: Why Doesn't Measurement Canada Get Involved

said by Phorkster:

I just don't get why this is not a Measurement Canada issue. If you are paying for measured goods and services

They are well aware of it. There have been several people who have contacted them about it, only to be told that they don't deal with "bits and bytes".

The CRTC knows about, because this was mentioned in one or two submissions.

I think if they ever tried to measure it correctly, it would never work.