dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-15 16:28:52: Verizon today announced that their LTE network is now being launched in an additional 34 new markets, and is being expanded in 38 other existing markets (we've got the full list of markets below). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Is AT&T even trying anymore?

Hey AT&T! Are you actually doing anything over there?

This is just pathetic. Verizon launches nearly as many LTE Markets as AT&T has in single day.

Verizon now has 7x the 4GLTE coverage of AT&T.... and not a peep to be heard from AT&T's press shills....

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

As has been stated before, AT&T has the cash to accelerate expansion, but AT&T does not like to spend money on stuff like that.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Another month's wait for me

sigh. . Maybe in September. At least I didn't have to wait until 2012 to get 3G from Verizon like it took at&t.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

How AT&T Works vs. Verizon

This is all you need to know about how these companies approach network modernization:

AT&T:
AT&T plans to shut its 2G network by 2017: »AT&T to Close 2G Network By 2017 [18] comments

vs.

Verizon:
Verizon will expand LTE everywhere its 3G network is by the end of 2013.
»www.investorplace.com/20 ··· -s-aapl/

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

4G

Maybe I will finally get 4G service at my place less than 1 mile from Louisville, KY. I have no major blockages its just their towers suck where i'm at.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to atuarre

to atuarre

Re: Is AT&T even trying anymore?

Sprint may have LTE to all of its sites before ATT matches. If Sprint can deliver as planned, their entire footprint should have LTE by end of next year. Was disappointed in Sprint's KC LTE coverage at first but they keep adding more LTE sites across the metro.

Good performance and unlimited...
»dl.dropbox.com/u/3812896 ··· ests.png

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Hey AT&T! Are you actually doing anything over there?

This is just pathetic. Verizon launches nearly as many LTE Markets as AT&T has in single day.

Verizon now has 7x the 4GLTE coverage of AT&T.... and not a peep to be heard from AT&T's press shills....

AT&T doesn't need LTE as badly as Verizon does.

My faux-G on AT&T regularly hits 5-6mbps on my iPhone. It's fine for most purposes. On my Verizon iPad, however, I'm lucky to break 160kbps, even when I have a strong 3G signal. Verizon LTE can't get here fast enough.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Could use better 4G Coverage

Springfield, MA was upgraded to 4G last year, although the coverage in Springfield city limits is generally good but the signals in outlying areas (particularly West Springfield and Westfield) revert to 3G.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Meh

Same old same old... with such ridiculously low caps and costly overages, why is there any reason to be excited about this?

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: How AT&T Works vs. Verizon

Not true I contacted a Verizon employee she told me they will have "most" markets end of 2013 and all markets by 2014.

Endy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-07
Riverside, CA

Endy

Premium Member

Yay!

Now if only my phone's 4G wouldn't drop every few minutes like it currently does, I'd be all 'yay!' and stuff. I already said 'yay!' Oh, OK, then.

Still. It seems every time they're rolling out a 'new location', the stability of those currently being serviced by the 4G network suffers. I've had no less than 15 dropouts today *ALONE* -- since 9AM. And it's only 3 now! Just curious, am I the only one with this problem? Bionic users sound off! \o/

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

MEANWHILE AT ATT
-gotta go slow

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to atuarre

to atuarre

Dubuque, IA which has IBM GDF site still doesn't have LTE from VZ. In the meantime, US Cellular already has there LTE, even at&t already has faux-4g there. Before they got there HSPA+ up and running, I was already getting sometimes 6mb/s download on regular 3G.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
Exactly, AT&T LTE here is DOG slow. AT&T 3G is just as fast. Most of time I don't bother with AT&T's LTE and use my Clear WiMAX puck.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

yeah, 5-6mb on att 3g is "slow", but "fast" on clear wimax

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I routinely see 8-10 Mb on Clear's WiMAX...at least here. But looking at the Clear forums, lots of people complain about flakey speeds. And it's unlimited use, no caps or throttling for $50/mo...at least until they go bankrupt.

I use it to Slingbox at the gym and it works great. No worries about any caps and it's snappy enough to stream near HD quality.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to djrobx

to djrobx

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

AT&T isn't planning to address this legacy network until 2017. We'll see how far along they are in deploying LTE. If anything, it'll be the token coverage that they are doing now with HSPA+ as the workhorse.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

1 recommendation

powerspec88

Premium Member

This is why AT&T is taking their time.

Click for full size
Even on my iPhone 4 with HSPA 7.2, speeds are great.

With my AT&T LTE iPad on "4G", I've seen speeds upto 12-13Mbps. We don't need the speed as bad as Sprint and Verizon does.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to treich

to treich

said by treich:

Not true I contacted a Verizon employee she told me they will have "most" markets end of 2013 and all markets by 2014.

Well considering we still have 4 1/2 months left in 2012 and they have 75% of the population covered already.

88615298 (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?

Verizon says they have plans to begin offering VoLTE next year. So I expect they'll dump 1Xrtt by the end of 2017 at the latest.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to 88615298

to 88615298
Still I am not even covered by 4G and from what she told me I wont get it until 2014 so and I am rural part of ohio.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: Meh

said by pnh102:

Same old same old... with such ridiculously low caps and costly overages, why is there any reason to be excited about this?

Yes.

88615298 (banned) to powerspec88

to powerspec88

Re: This is why AT&T is taking their time.

Yeah whatever. At&t just last month finally decided we were worthy of 3G service. Something Verizon has provided for at least 4 years now. And within a few months we should have 4G. I doubt we even get at&t's fake 4G within 5 years. Oh and at&t only has about 40% of the county covered in 3G. Verizon is about 95%.

88615298 (banned) to treich

to treich

said by treich:

Still I am not even covered by 4G and from what she told me I wont get it until 2014 so and I am rural part of ohio.

You'll get it sooner than that. Verizon has been ahead of schedule. I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're from so I can tell if you have 4G near you or not.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

Then I hope they hurry the eff up and fix their LTE network or handsets. As I've traveled around the country I've noticed LTE drops like crazy. My counter-part and I often have to kick our phones into 3G only to maintain a data connection. (I have a Motorola, he has an HTC)

The problem seems to be that since the phones prefer 4G and 700MHz has longer reach, that introduces problems when you're in fringe signal areas. It rapidly cycles between 4G and 3G, which effectively kills any sort of data connectivity. It's maddening.

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Verizon still doesn't think we're worthy of LTE speeds, even though we're in a city of 178,000 people just minutes from Los Angeles and get pitful speeds on their over-crowded 3G network. AT&T's 3G rollout was very rough, but they have generally been able to keep up with demand and speeds are acceptable for most things. AT&T's 3G and Verizon's 3G are very different animals.

Verizon is great where LTE is available, but powerspec88 See Profile is spot on with his comment.

-- Rob

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

This argument is old and tired. At&t only has 'fast' 3g in urban and surburban areas. Go out of the city and all you get is edge crap.

At&t needs lte upgrades just as much as verizon..
bgaimur
join:2010-06-21
Royal Oak, MI

bgaimur to powerspec88

to powerspec88

Eat my dust! SGS3 on Verizon 4G

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

Don't worry! On his iPad on AT&T's fake LTE, he gets 12mbps... yet miraculously didn't post a screenshot..
page: 1 · 2 · next