dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-22 16:28:05: For so many years we watched carriers promise "up to" advertised speeds, only to fall well short. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras

Unbundled costs...

Paying $70 for the low tier unbundled cost is still worth not signing onto the bloatware they offer.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

I'm only getting..

155Mb/s down and 70Mb/s up with my 150/65 tier. I wish the upload was a litle more.
aaronwt

aaronwt to Methadras

Premium Member

to Methadras

Re: Unbundled costs...

said by Methadras:

Paying $70 for the low tier unbundled cost is still worth not signing onto the bloatware they offer.

Bloatware? what do you mean? I just get the internet service along with phone, TV and cellular. There has never been any software install required for my internet service.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to Methadras

Premium Member

to Methadras
70 dollars for the cheapest tier?

I used to pay 27 dollars a month (with a school discount) when I had Cox's cheapest tier. Now I just share internet for free.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: I'm only getting..

said by aaronwt:

155Mb/s down and 70Mb/s up with my 150/65 tier. I wish the upload was a litle more.

Getting 162mbps and 70mbps for me....no complaints. No issues. No nothing...just rock solid internet, phone and tv....what more could you ask for?
danclan

danclan to Methadras

to Methadras

said by Methadras:

If by nearly 0 down time, nearly zero net slow downs, nearly no congestion, well then yeah FiOS suffers from bloatware.....
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned) to danclan

to danclan

Symmetrical 1 Gbps for $70 a month like Google is offering with their fiber-to-the-home product.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Ouch

$75/mo gets you FiOS triple play with TV, 15/5 HSI and phone for 2 years.

So in my neck of the woods you can get 15/5 for $70 or for $5 more add TV (210 channels incl 55 in HD) plus phone.

Obviously they're not interested in selling stand alone HSI. Unbundled FiOS is a rip but $75 for 2 year triple play is a great deal around here. Usually the promos are 1 year max for $99.
rdmiller
join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

rdmiller

Breaking News! Breaking News!

Fios delivers faster-than-advertised speeds.

Must be a slow news day.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4 to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: Ouch

Karl cannot write a Verizon story without saying something bad about Verizon.
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha to Methadras

to Methadras

said by Methadras:

What bloatware? I don't have any Verizon software on any of my machines, I swapped out their crap router long ago, and my 50/25 Internet only works great.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Karl cannot write a Verizon story without saying something bad about Verizon.

Is anything that he wrote wrong, incorrect, or otherwise false?
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Catch 21

If you notice you get more broadband for a cheaper price. Although, if you like your T.V. service those prices have increased greatly.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to cdru

to cdru

Saying that the cheapest Fios Internet service is $70 is misleading, when a triple-play is $75. That's cheaper than most cable company triple plays. So Karl's attempt to paint Fios as overpriced earns a big 'fail'.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
Verizon earned it with punitive pricing for stand alone service. If VZ doesn't like bad "press" they could go back to charging what their peers do...about $50-$55 for stand alone basic service and $70 for a premium tier.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Still, the fact remains that Karl cannot write a Verizon story without saying something bad about Verizon.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

$75/mo gets you FiOS triple play with TV, 15/5 HSI and phone for 2 years.

The cheapest advertised rate (at least on their website) is $85 before taxes/fees. And that's just for Prime (bottom tier TV). Fees likely would push that close to $100 all said and done. And if you want HD? That's $13 extra.
cdru

cdru to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
Well, the article is about FiOS INTERNET, not FiOS Triple Play. And you won't get a triple play for $75 or even $85 after all the fees and taxes are paid.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
Funny, the cable co fanboys say the same thing about Karl endlessly bashing cable. Karl isn't biased...he hates all incumbents equally.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to 09129800

to 09129800

LMFAO, yes I forgot, Aunt Sally needs that.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

the extra is called "fluff"

this actually goes back to the reports of cable companies getting caught offering half or less of their old 15 & 30 mbit tiers (claims made as oversold and/or purposefully under-provisioned at certain times & conditions)... and to respond, they've actually boosted said tiers by a few % especially on the downstream...

I've noticed that on some 15/2 tiers.. you an see as much as 18-20 down (greater possibilty w/ a docsis 3 modem) but for some reason the typical speeds are 15-18 down and 1.5 - 1.8 up... (less than 2mbits up...?!? weird). On my 50/8 plan, I usually am around 58-59 down, and 7.5 - 8.2 up.. albeit more variable since it's docsis.

However, I pay about HALF what you would pay for stand-alone 50/25... at $44.90.. stand-alone FIOS that's around $85 - $95...Nowhere are they offering it for $75! That's 15/5... check again! Entry level is 15/25 not 50/25! Yeah, the 15 mbit tier was supposed to convert DSL subscribers, but at two & 3x the price?!? All that does is force you to cable..

The only difference @ 50 megabits is the upstream.. is 30(ish) megabits. Is more upload worth 100% price increase?!?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Only two months late on this story

Commandant Karl must have been napping, we been posting the actual speeds and confirmed by BBR Verizon insiders for over two months on the current actual speeds

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Did you read what was posted above about this being INTERNET rather than TRIPLE PLAY .

This isn't in reply to you Nyancat. Sorry for the confusion.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
The $85 prime plan promo here includes HD, at least 55 channels claimed to be HD...I didn't look to see what channels they are. But you're right, there's probably $15-$20 in taxes and franchise fees on that running the bill to $100-$105. So for the $35 you get 200+ channels of TV including HD and phone.

The $75 plan has only basic TV, no HD.

Even then, $70 for 15Mb is significantly higher than all of VZ's local competitors. Cox is $54 for 18/2 (they have claimed monthly caps but they're not enforced, I blow through mine all the time), or $65 for 25/2. Time Warner is $30 for 10Mb, $50 for 20Mb, 30Mb for $60, all 1 year promos. I don't know what the regular rate is but my brother who has TWC just renews his promo every year with whatever the newest promo is. There is a $2.50 model rental fee so the total total is $52.49 for 20Mb with Time Warner. I own the modem I use with Cox.

Huntington Beach, CA was an early rollout for FiOS and back then it was a good deal but the constant price increases and lessened their competitiveness.
09129800 (banned)
join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

09129800 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Exactly! Skyping with Aunt Sally at 8k resolution would be kinda cool.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to DataRiker

MVM

to DataRiker

$70 is for the cheapest "Quantum" tier, where "Quantum" is their higher-end services. Of course, there's only one speed below the slowest Quantum tier...

Anyhow, Quantum starts at 50/25, and there is a level below that, 15/5. I don't know how much it costs, but the price difference between the 15/5 and 50/25 double plays with television is $25, so it seems like the 15/5 probably costs $45 in a bundle by itself?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

The $85 prime plan promo here includes HD, at least 55 channels claimed to be HD...I didn't look to see what channels they are. But you're right, there's probably $15-$20 in taxes and franchise fees on that running the bill to $100-$105. So for the $35 you get 200+ channels of TV including HD and phone.

The $75 plan has only basic TV, no HD.

I just filled out a new order online for a HB-area address and it was $85 for Prime HD...but it only included a SD STB. If you wanted HD it was 12 more for that STB rental and then obviously DVR was even more. I'm only going by what's available online for new customers. Maybe there are hidden promos or others that are only available by phone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I'm not a FiOS sub and the website is thin on details as to what you actually get. If I was a potential customer being lead on by HD just to find out you really don't get HD I'd be a bit bent.

When my brother's promo ran out VZ was going to take a huge price increase (nearly $50 for this triple play) so he dropped them and took TWC up on a $99 triple play that included expanded digital, a few movie packs and included an HD DVR with service "free" for 6 months plus a few months of HBO and Skinemax. When his triple play deal expired he got a hold of a retention agent who gave him a very similar deal again, $100 for triple play plus some goodies. Overall his bill is about $120 with taxes and everything including unlimited talk and some international calling pack that his wife likes since she has family in Germany.

Unless you are a real data "hog" with a hard on for 75Mb service, VZ here just isn't competitive any more. They were when they first rolled out but there has been so many price increases that competitors are cheaper, especially with their perpetual promotions.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by skeechan:

When my brother's promo ran out VZ was going to take a huge price increase (nearly $50 for this triple play) so he dropped them and took TWC up on a $99 triple play that included expanded digital and included an HD DVR with service "free" for 6 months plus a few months of HBO and Skinemax. When his triple play deal expired he got a hold of a retention agent who gave him a very similar deal again, $100 for triple play plus some goodies.

This is exactly what happened to me, but replace Verizon with Frontier and TWC with Comcast. But when my promo period ran out for Comcast, I said f-it, went back to Frontier uncapped data only for $60 for 35mbit symmetrical service. Haven't looked back.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I'm too lazy to shop around. I'm probably being bent over by Cox but in my area the competitor is AT&T which can't be any better. Even if they're cheaper, the service can't be any better. I would drop video for DirecTV but I like my cablecard TiVos.

I've had Cox digital cable and HSI since late 1997ish and service has been stellar, very few outages, great customer service, never a billing problem...guess I can't accept paying a premium for virtually no problems in some 15 years.
page: 1 · 2 · next