dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-24 14:17:56: BitTorrent creator Bram Cohen has been trying to monetize his creation for the better part of the decade, and while it may have somewhat revolutionized file delivery, efforts to build a legal business model around the technology have seen mixed resul.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Bitorrent

I use an old client which hasn't been updated for awhile. It has no upload and always works great. Now they are adding ADs I am not interested in their software.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

3 recommendations

buzz_4_20

Yes, that makes sense.

Let's advertise in a place where many users are trying to avoid paying for things. That's an excellent business plan.

Also many pirates very much dislike ads.

Some even download TV shows from torrents because they don't include ads.

Transmission, rTorrent and a ton of others do the same without ads. Or users will just opt to not upgrade.

Or they won't notice because they have so many things blocked at the router/hosts file already.

Some people will go very far to not see advertisements.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Bitorrent

said by brianiscool:

I use an old client which hasn't been updated for awhile. It has no upload and always works great. Now they are adding ADs I am not interested in their software.

Why would you use a client that has no upload? That severely limits your download speed by preventing you from connecting to many peers at once. If you're concerned about a cap, you can limit your upload speeds, or schedule them during hours when you have no cap.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Yes, that makes sense.

+1000

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
I'm one of those ad-avoiders myself. My PC is one of the few things in my life I have real control over, and I choose to be ad-free.

At this point, uTorrent has severely harmed its brand. Jump ship now - some great alternatives are Deluge, Transmission (now with windows port), qBittorrent, Tixati, etc etc...

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
Ruckus R310

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Root of the Advertising problem

The biggest problem is that ads (aka: tricking, convincing, selling, cramming utter bullsh*t in our faces, brainwashing, tracking, targeting) people into buying crap is far more profitable than making products and services that are actually worth buying.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot

Premium Member

People didn't see this coming with waffles.fm/what.cd bans?

I'm surprised people didn't see this coming, what with waffles.fm and what.cd engaging in sweeping arm bans of all clients except uTorrent.

Azureus, an arguably better client with more granular configuration options (Vuze in classic mode) was banned and the authors of Azureus said, "hey, guys, we'll fix your issue... talk to us?"

People posted in their forums with speculations that someone somewhere was getting kickbacks as the sites seemed to be pushing people on the inferior uTorrent yet those threads were always deleted and/or immediately locked.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel to tennisman94

Premium Member

to tennisman94

Some people being on what is now slow DSl, disabling upload doesn't affect download speeds. It hasn't for my 3Mbps connection.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Root of the Advertising problem

said by buzz_4_20:

The biggest problem is that ads (aka: tricking, convincing, selling, cramming utter bullsh*t in our faces, brainwashing, tracking, targeting) people into buying crap is far more profitable than making products and services that are actually worth buying.

That's bullshit and you know it. If people didn't want to see a movie or listen to a song they wouldn't be pirating it.
HoboJ
join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON

HoboJ

Kinda figured something was up a long time ago

uTorrent went to shit a long while ago. It used to have a very simple and powerful, albeit mildly ugly interface. Then they fucked that up with some dumb clunky "pretty" one. I figured by then that uTorrent was going to shit and jumped boat to qBittorrent, glad I did too after seeing this announcement.

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
Ruckus R310

2 recommendations

buzz_4_20 to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Root of the Advertising problem

I don't believe you understood the point of that post.

Yes people want to watch movies and shows, yes they will pirate that content, that's not what that post was about.

Look at how hard crappy products, services and media are advertised.

Look at the giant ad push for movies that are just plain crap.
Look at the ad pushes of junk pop music.

You think those "Beats by Dre" headphones would stand on their own merit?
Or that people would buy Air Jordans based on the quality and workmanship of the shoe alone?

What happened to just making the best product and letting it do the talking for itself.

The best quality food items don't come from the store with the big lights, loud commercials and flyers in the paper. It comes from the local farm stand or farmers market.

lester2
join:2005-09-01
London, ON

lester2 to urbanriot

to urbanriot

Re: People didn't see this coming with waffles.fm/what.cd bans?

Some versions of µtorrent are banned on What.cd too. qBittorrent, Deluge, Transmission and rtorrent are good clients that are still ok to use.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Yes, that makes sense.

But they have so much disposable cash since they never pay for music or movies :P
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

any utorrent alternatives?

What are some of the alternatives to utorrent? Limewire (and its varient FrostWire) offered a built-in bittorent function, but the file sharing service was ceased back in 2010.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to lester2

Premium Member

to lester2

said by lester2:

Some versions of µtorrent are banned on What.cd too. qBittorrent, Deluge, Transmission and rtorrent are good clients that are still ok to use.

Yea, there was a period where everything but uTorrent was banned, where everyone was forced to use it and anyone that pointed out that the bans were crazy was banned from those sites.
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1

Vuze?

May be it's time to go back to Vuze... Don't care about java inefficiency too much as my computer has way too much ram and processor speed to waste.
I have always love Vuze, it's the most powerful application around in my opinion, except it requires Java.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Who cares?

They are showing ads. Big whoopdie-do. If it makes the client slow and bloated, I'll move away. If the CPU and memory penalty isn't noticeable (it would be hard for it to be noticeable on a quad i7 with 8GB of RAM), then I'll keep using it. No need for the hate.

Shrugs
@charter.com

Shrugs

Anon

Shrugs

I am on a brand new computer with 8 gigs of ram soon to be 16, an ssd bloatedness of utorrent isnt an issue however... With that being said I do not like the look of new utorrent versions and i am still back on 2.2.1.... So ad's will continue to not bother me. I am sure their reason for this is to push their utorrent plus... Don't want ad's? Pay for it!

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to HoboJ

Premium Member

to HoboJ

Re: Kinda figured something was up a long time ago

I'm still using 1.8.5 and don't see any of that "clunkiness". I found out in one of the forums here that version 1.8.5 is the better one, and it still works to this day.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I'm surprised people didn't see this coming, what with waffles.fm and what.cd engaging in sweeping arm bans of all clients except uTorrent.

Azureus, an arguably better client with more granular configuration options (Vuze in classic mode) was banned and the authors of Azureus said, "hey, guys, we'll fix your issue... talk to us?"

People posted in their forums with speculations that someone somewhere was getting kickbacks as the sites seemed to be pushing people on the inferior uTorrent yet those threads were always deleted and/or immediately locked.

What I'm surprised at is that people actually still use this junk!

I never have and never will and I bet I can get anything that people do using this thing!
sava700
join:2005-03-08
united state

sava700

nope

I'm still using it but I won't be upgrading to his new version as there is nothing wrong with the one I'm using.
Uraki
Uraki
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Belle Plaine, KS

Uraki to simon726

Premium Member

to simon726

Re: any utorrent alternatives?

»www.qbittorrent.org/
»deluge-torrent.org/
»www.transmissionbt.com/

Siko
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Mechanicsburg, PA

Siko

Premium Member

An alternative client

qTorrent is what utorrent was before all the junk was added into it.
»www.qbittorrent.org/
Roadkill
Premium Member
join:2008-06-17
united state

Roadkill

Premium Member

uTorrent

I've been unhappy with the client for the last few versions. As soon as I saw the pay versions, I started looking for another torrent program. Sorry uTorrent I've used you for years, but you went too far. I keep Ubuntu and my fav Mint linux torrents going most of the time. Switching from the madness.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to Mr Fel

to Mr Fel

Many sites will eventually ban you for this practice. After all, it's suppose to be sharing, not be greedy and leech.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

When you only have 20KBps of upload anyway it doesn't matter too much.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
said by RyanThaDude:

Many sites will eventually ban you for this practice. After all, it's suppose to be sharing, not be greedy and leech.

You expect people that want to download content without paying for it to be honorable?
Expand your moderator at work
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude

Funny I have been doing this for years. I haven't been banned once.
page: 1 · 2 · next