spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-08-30 08:49:32: Though it has been proposed for quite some time, people have only just recently started realizing that the FCC's broadband plan (which isn't much of one because it ignores the lack of competition) does have a provision in it for applying a $1-$5 mont.. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

All about bureaucrats feathering their nest

As usual this is just the FCC drones making sure they have permanent job security at taxpayer expense. And for that they need a steady source of taxpayer money to control. The more the better. That is the 1st priority of every government worker - keep the money flowing in.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Gut The FCC

The FCC really hasn't been good for anything lately has it? I say we gut it completely. Or at least make it clear that it is Congress, and not some executive-level federal agency, that has the power to impose taxes.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.
Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Gut The FCC

Sometimes the solution is not to attack their dumb ideas, but to eliminate the dumb idea generating organizations.

Taxes are good for many things, but when you have many organizations no one needs any more, retaining them just ensures your taxes are spread too thin.

My advice, eliminate (not gut get rid of completely) the FCC.

I'm sure society can build a better replacement.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

The FCC was established to remove the responsibility and work needed to manage this countries communications by Congress. Yet Congress still wants to maintain control. So they gave up the work and direct accountability, without giving up the "power" and say of how it is managed.

I personally, would like to see the FCC have complete and full power over managing the communications of this country by being allowed to set policy and punish those that dont follow it. Congress wanted to off load this from their plate, then they should off load it with all the same power.

I would also like to see a policy that prevents those that are put in place to regulate an industry from lobbying in or entering that industry for at least a minimum of 5 years.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Not true. The FCC was formed to create an agency that found pirate radio. Slowly they were given more and more power. And the internet was NOT one of them, nor was stepping on the feet of private land owners claiming that MDU deals were illegal. Congress NEVER gave the FCC that power.

Thus this means the FCC should be gutted and re-started. the same as with the USPO, the USPTO and several other agencies and businesses the Gov't got themselves in.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by Sukunai:

Taxes are good for many things, but when you have many organizations no one needs any more, retaining them just ensures your taxes are spread too thin.

The Constitution already grants to Congress the power to impose taxes. Any tax imposed by any other part of the federal government should be illegal.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by pnh102:

The FCC really hasn't been good for anything lately has it? I say we gut it completely. Or at least make it clear that it is Congress, and not some executive-level federal agency, that has the power to impose taxes.

Free Press wants to REFORM the USF. But the only real solution is to end it completely. Get government out of the business of broadband.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care
nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by FFH:

... Get government out of the business of broadband.

exactly; then our broadband would be as good as in countries like Somalia, where there is no gov't:

Fixed broadband Internet subscribers

The latest value for Fixed broadband Internet subscribers in Somalia was 0.00 as of 2008. Over the past 7 years, the value for this indicator has fluctuated between 0.00 in 2008 and 0.00 in 2001.

Definition: Fixed broadband Internet subscribers are the number of broadband subscribers with a digital subscriber line, cable modem, or other high-speed technology.

Source: International Telecommunication Union, World Telecommunication/ICT Development Report and database.

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY

Do you really think that the reason Somalia lacks broadband is lack of government regulation?

I am usually pretty liberal, but that is ridiculous.

I believe the FCC should regulate the airwaves, which we, as citizens, own. This is also, coincidentally, what they are required to do by international treaty.

Cable and telephone companies do not use the "airwaves", and therefore should not be regulated (other than for signal leakage, any microwave transmissions, etc.)

Toledo, OH

and that was what the FCC was created for- regulating AIR WAVES for radio stations. NOTHING more.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
I think a lot of the FCC functions as it should, quietly and scientifically determinating device compliance within the federal and international standards, for safety and inoperability purposes, The five commissioners at the top are far too politically and industry influenced, prove once again that that federal agencies CANNOT be both regulatory and promotional of their industry.

The FCC needs to be strictly a regulatory and informational agency, and let the industry do their own promotion.
FAA suffers the same problem.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Why so high?? 1 to 5$ per month is a huge number.

Not including wireless.. we're looking at 85 -90 million wired broadband users.

That's .. 85 to 90 million a month @ the low end and 425 to 450 million dollars a month at the high end.. That's outrageous..

That's 1.02 to 5.4 billion dollars a year for a program which has proposed spending a few hundred million a year.

Then tack on any new taxes on cell phone based broadband, which really isn't broadband since it's cap'd at a few gigabytes.

My message to the FCC burn in hell !!

You should be promoting data competition, not suppressing it..
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Re: Why so high?? 1 to 5$ per month is a huge number.

ANY amount is too high.

If we are to have welfare for broadband, then it should come from general tax revenues.
cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

Re: Why so high?? 1 to 5$ per month is a huge number.

I agree any amount is too high.

If they want to impose this tax, then I have a few demands (related to speed, caps (caps? what caps?), privacy, DNS, server hosting, etc.) that I'd want in return. Otherwise, a few tens of millions would go to improving broadband in middle-of-****ing-nowhere alaska, and then the rest goes into a blackhole.

Toledo, OH

USF on HSI

So when companies like AT&T and Verizion accept this money, people like me can go them and demand that they need to open those networks to allow for my company to offer HSI to my customers?

after all that was what happened with standard dial-tone. You accept the $$$$ from the tax payers- the tax payers are allowed to play as well. and this should be set for ANY company that is getting federal or tax funds. Including Munis you want to build- you open those networks up. You don't you repay that money back to who it came from- INCLUDING those bonds that those poor tax payers are on the hook for.

fande

@comcast.net

usf

I'd be willing to pay if they used USF funds to provide fiber optic services to each home and have cable/telco companies pay a set per gigabyte rate to deliver voice, video, and data over the network.

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

Because...

That is what we do with just about everything else that doesn't work, isn't it?