dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-04 18:34:35: While it looks like T-Mobile won't be getting the new iPhone when it launches later this month, the carriers has been deploying HSPA+ in the 1900 MHz band so unlocked iPhones can use their faster network, and they also hope that their recently announ.. ..

prev · 1 · 2

Bahamut X
Premium Member
join:2000-12-09
Fort Worth, TX

Bahamut X to ArizonaSteve

Premium Member

to ArizonaSteve

Re: Question is though

said by ArizonaSteve:

Use the OpenSignalMaps site or the Android app and you can see the different locations of 3G and 4G towers.

If I use that site sitting at home... or work... or any other place I happen to travel west of downtown Fort Worth, then by THEIR site, I should have 0 signal. Nothing at all, be it 2G or 3G based services (UMTS, HSPA of any flavor, et al).

I'll sit here and believe my phone and my tablet, which is telling me that it has access to HSPA based speeds, over a 3rd party site that tells me I should have nothing at all...

Or better yet, the T-Mobile engineering map (which the link is liberally posted around here), which also shows I should be able to max out whichever device I have sitting around me.

@clone: This gentleman (ArizonaSteve) has had many times been shown how his information can be... flawed, but yet, continues to state that somehow his UMTS based device can only get "4G" service, can fall back to EDGE, but cannot somehow access "3G" towers, despite the fact that both the marketing "4G" and the factual "3G" are the same thing. One example can be found here where, once facts started coming out, esp comparing frequency bands on various phones, he kinda... disappeared.

Facts are facts. Marketing says the new stuff is "4G" (although true 4G comes next year... wonder how they'll spin it, even though it's just 3G with a supercharger attached), but it all uses the same base UMTS setup on the AWS spectrum (and soon PCS spectrum). There is no differing "3G" and "4G" towers, though it could be possible a tower has not been upgraded from 7.2 mb/s standard to the newer HSPA+ standard, but even then, the phone would still show potentially only a "4G" signal (unless rooted, then Cyanogen might show either "H" or "3G", I've seen both on my rooted Galaxy S2).
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to ArizonaSteve

Premium Member

to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

I have "unlimited" data now, "unlimited" up to 5Gb. It's too slow to ever use that much though. Are they saying that 3G iPhones will be able to get 3G on the 1900Mhz network? I kind of doubt that will work since my 4G Samsung Exhibit II can't get 3G on 1900Mhz now and it was sold for use on T-Mobile!

I have a factory unlocked 4S on T-Mobile and I get full strength 3G ("4G") in my house!

3G covers a good bit of the city but a lot of EDGE when I go too far out... Covers a good 90% of areas on my daily commute...

Here's my post at T-Mo forum :-

»support.t-mobile.com/mes ··· 0#175790
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
I'd rather have service when I travel- that's the time that mobile data is the most useful...
prev · 1 · 2