spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-06 10:00:31: We've noted repeatedly how it's somewhere close to impossible to develop a broadband-based video service that can seriously compete with cable, given the fact the broadcast and cable industry does everything in their power to see you fail. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to skeechan

Re: MSOs are afraid of being relevant again

Disney is very close to an entertainment monopoly, they own so much that there are many things that you cannot get without somehow having to go through them or something owned by them.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI
reply to apple4ever

Re: No Crapple!

said by apple4ever:

Haha people really believe this?

The cable industry is making it worse for themselves by NOT working with Apple.

If Apple manages to convince cable companies to get on board with an Apple TV cable box, Google will quickly follow. From there, it won't be long before most customers will be using Apple or Google TV.

Now cable operators lose virtually all revenue associated with VOD and rental fees. For someone with 2 HDTVs who pays for a movie or two On Demand, this could be a loss of $30-40.

Maybe that's good for you and me, but how the hell is that good for the cable industry?

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

1 recommendation

Achtung!

Click for full size

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Kearnstd

Yeah Tru2Way was supposed to allow consumers to buy their own set top, and get the cable card from the cable provider. The only thing was you still have a motorola specific cable card and a cisco specific cable card. The cable card software was what restricted PPV access and such, and last time I was using it(I worked for a company developing Tru2Way set top software) the cable card software was quite buggy as well as the actual firmware on the set tops was very buggy and slow.

Since that company was dismembered and eaten by Comcast, I haven't followed Tru2Way so perhaps it's gotten better.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to LucasLee
said by LucasLee:

you are misusing the term "monopoly".

A monopoly is defined as a market in which there is one source for a product or service.

If I want to watch a current episode of Pawn Stars, I have to go through the History Channel to get it. I can't go to any other (legitimate) channel.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
Err... I wouldn't consider a TV show the product/service. I would consider The History Channel itself the product..

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to apple4ever

Content owners are NOT worried about Apple. And Cable MSOs own a good share of that content anyway. They an keep Apple at bay and not worry about them at all. For once someone is standing up to them.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

reply to apple4ever
said by apple4ever:

Haha you really believe this?

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
reply to pnh102

that's like saying Apple has a monopoly on iPhones. when the market under discussion would actually be 'smartphones', and the iPhone is simply one competing option.

if you were to look around, i'm certain you could find a show equivalent to Pawn Stars from a different network.

there are many other content providers offering other tv shows of various quality, and that is the market within which Pawn Stars exists. so unless the owners of Pawn Stars own all low rent garbage tv shows, then there is no monopoly.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

reply to apple4ever

said by apple4ever:

That's a huge load of horse shit. If you ask every cellular company, they'll say that making the deal with the devil (aka. Apple) was the biggest drain on their financial and technical resources.

..and I could see why when Apple is getting a huge percentage on each sale of any Apple products. If companies aren't making enough revenue (or profits), things start to disappear.. like unlimited data. I can only imagine what it would do to the CATV world.

"What? My bill went up 50%!!??!"
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to amungus

Re: Too late

I hear that. I can operate CATV (CableCard coupled with an InfiniTV4 Card), FTA Satellite (TBS6984 Card), and OTA (ATI TV Wonder HD 650 and 2x Dual Tuner HDHomerun boxes) from a single Media Center.

..now if there was a way to make it decode Dish Network (no CAM Interface yet) or DirecTV (different tech, improbable) through the same box.. then I could turn it into a server and feed it to everything in the house.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]