dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-07 16:29:41: Cablevision recently started promoting a new fixed wireless and phone service in parts of Florida they're calling "OMGFAST." The product is offering downstream speeds of up to 50 Mbps downstream for $30 a month through a Cablevision subsidiary. ..

steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

1 recommendation

steven s

Premium Member

Cablevision

So Cablevision changes their logo to reflect
said by »www.sacbee.com/2012/09/0 ··· mum.html :
a cleaner and much more simplified approach to design, unencumbered by extraneous visual elements.
but then they call their new service OMGFAST. Alrighty then.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

I'll take the 50Mbps, but they can keep the Apple TV. Gee, why didn't they call it iTV?
Redbaron2
join:2004-06-14
Tacoma, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Redbaron2

Spellchecking Never in this day and age.

I am beginning to think that the idea of spelling is going to be the next thing tossed out of schools. They already don't teach penmanship, cursive writing, and arithmetic. So why not discontinue teaching of spelling. We have Google for everything.

"Cablevision recnetly started promoting ... "
It should be recently. Good Grief !!

edit: oops! a run-on sentence
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

said by Redbaron2:

I am beginning to think that the idea of spelling is going to be the next thing tossed out of schools. They already don't teach penmanship, cursive writing, and arithmetic. So why not discontinue teaching of spelling we have Google for everything.

I see several non-spelling related issues in your comment that I know were covered in grammar school. If you're going to complain about a typo, make sure your own comment is spotless.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to Redbaron2

Premium Member

to Redbaron2
said by Redbaron2:

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to steven s

Premium Member

to steven s

Re: Cablevision

said by steven s:

So Cablevision changes their logo to reflect

said by »www.sacbee.com/2012/09/0 ··· mum.html :
a cleaner and much more simplified approach to design, unencumbered by extraneous visual elements.
but then they call their new service OMGFAST. Alrighty then.

Cablevision changed their Optimum logo -- and Optimum has absolutely nothing to do with the OMGFAST product, which is being marketed by one of their subsidiaries (DTV Norwich/Rainbow MVDDS).

Alrighty then.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 recommendation

EliteData to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail

Re: Spellchecking Never in this day and age.

its a subliminal message for CNET
steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

steven s to RickNY

Premium Member

to RickNY

Re: Cablevision

Fair enough. It still seems like an incoherent marketing strategy to me.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

Line of sight issues...

Microwave links are line of sight, nearly as intolerant of any obstruction as laser. Are they going to put up microwave towers all over the suburbs to ensure a clean line of sight to every customer? If you think the whining over Uverse cabinets was bad, wait till they start erecting dozens of microwave towers in each city served.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul

Re: ...

said by Rekrul:

I'll take the 50Mbps, but they can keep the Apple TV. Gee, why didn't they call it iTV?

Because ITV is already taken.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itv
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

said by Rekrul:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itv

That doesnt matter. Remember how Apple bullied Cisco over their Linksys iPhone.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by Rekrul:

Yes, but this is APPLE we're talking about! They should automatically be given the rights to i[everything] simple because they're so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On an unrelated note, why does DSL reports occasionally send me bad links? I click the link in my email and the site tells me that the forum doesn't exist. Obviously it does because I'm in it right now!
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

better idea..

How about offering 50 megabits in the NY Metro footprint for $30 a month.. and we don't need no Apple tv... then 80 megabits for $45 (maybe even 300 megabits for $99)

Cablevision actually released a commercial about the stupid yellow dot that said "No, we're not raising your internet speeds".. Well, when consumers are off promotion deals and they leave you 1 year later.. you have only yourselves to blame. BTW, the other tv commercial was just as bad as the Clint Eastwood performance.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW

Anon

Cut the Cord

The AppleTV is what has allowed me to cut the cord. Between Netflix, Hulu Plus (which is pretty worthless, so I canceled it), and the ease of renting/buying TV shows and movies through the iTunes store (and the occasional use of the very handy "ffdmpeg vcodec copy" command) it's a brilliant little device.

gest
@cablevision.com

gest to Raphion

Anon

to Raphion

Re: Line of sight issues...

florida is pretty flat
tgp1994
join:2010-10-06

tgp1994

Drop the dish?

This sounds pretty cool, fast, and cheap, but isn't this the technology that gets interrupted when mother nature sneezes? From what I remember though, Florida is pretty sunny, so I suppose the only thing to be worried about would be tropical storms. Not that anyone in their right mind would be gaming, netflixing, and what-have-you in the path of a hurricane.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Happydude32

to Happydude32

said by Happydude32 See Profile
That doesnt matter. Remember how Apple bullied Cisco over their Linksys iPhone.
[/BQUOTE :

No I don't. Because their was no bullying at all. There were negotiations, they broke down, Cisco filed a lawsuit and they resolved it. Seems pretty straightforward and nobody did any bullying.

Then again your hate of Apple clouds your judgement so I wouldn't expect any accurate information from you.

Some references:
»newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/ ··· 007.html
»www.apple.com/pr/library ··· ark.html
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· s_iPhone

elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

So what?

Apple TV, Roku, Google TV, Boxee, Xbox, WD - none of these STB's provide content that competes with pay-tv service - sure, there is a lot of apologist-talk referencing the threadbare Netflix and Amazon libraries, the ever-shrinking Hulu, but that's where it ends.

The relatively cheap deployment of MVDDS for broadband is novel, if they can actually sustain those speeds across thousands of customers in each market. and the equipment doesn't get routinely zapped. Doubtful.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

Yep, because you have a clue as to what happened. I have no doubt Apple bullied them. That's Apples MO.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Redbaron2

to Redbaron2

Re: Spellchecking Never in this day and age.

thats why this site should have an actual Editor instead of someone trying to play one- and "news" guy all in one.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to Raphion

to Raphion

Re: Line of sight issues...

they can solve that problem by building a tower that covers mass range just like the MMDS company in Ohio did. Go to the FAA and get the permit and the locals and be done.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to tgp1994

to tgp1994

Re: Drop the dish?

i haven't heard of any problems with a similar service in Ohio with weather.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: better idea..

Part of the deal was that the fcc said cablevision could not offer this in their home territory.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: So what?

Amazon streaming is hardly threadbare. Name a program and it's probably on there...
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to majortom1029

to majortom1029

Re: better idea..

said by majortom1029:

Part of the deal was that the fcc said cablevision could not offer this in their home territory.

Not really the point.. Cablevision is long overdue for revamping their cablemodem speed tiers anyway.. 15 megabits is too slow.. the tier's been around in their territory for over a decade..

50mbit = $29.95 (upstream 25mbit)
80mbit = $44.90 (upstream 40mbit
101mbit=$64.99 (upstream 50mbit)
300mbit =$89.99 (upstream 100mbit)

* these speeds & prices can be offered ONLY if you have FIOS available to your address (subject to verification), so that could disqualify you if Verizon decided you're not worthy of their money used to build wireless instead of wireline.. millions of customers qualify in NY Metro.. and still millions don't.. That's Verizon's legacy, and part of Telco's history of taking the customer for granted.

As I've said, if the speed bumps given by Comcast and Verizon go unanswered by the end of the year.. Cablevision will look like they are neglecting their customers regardless of the "We care" campaign with the new logo and all..